CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
Latt7more
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Grit_And_Steel
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
Does South Carolina (1663)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (937)
Rest of the season p (914)
Let us clarify some (736)
Tennessee kickoff an (666)
Tennessee Game Time (655)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (648)
Just thought of some (559)
Is Clowney back toni (520)
Seventh Woods (2016 Prosp
Miss St. defense
Peyton Manning breaks Bre
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Why is everyone anticipat
To ANYONE complaining abo
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Let us clarify some thing
How do you want Auburn to
Bruce Ellington's First T

Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #21
Chill98
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Chill98 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Ward wants us to play fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
I think he is referring to the fact that TAMU is running a very fast no huddle type of offense, and he wants our guys to be ready for it. It hasn't been talked about much, but they run one of those systems that can be crazy up tempo when they want to.
As an A&M fan, I can tell you that this is a sound strategy. It worked last year. People a dissing the A&M defense, but what the fail to realize is that most of our opponents modified their strategies to adjust to A&M's speed of play. Bama and Auburn ran no huddle offenses and escaped with wins by a TD or less. Most of the other teams that A&M played often chose not to punt the ball. Several teams like Duke also chose to employ onside kicks.

A&M is going to be tough out this year. They offense took a HUGE step back last year. Clarence McKinney and Manziel were not in-sync. McKinney didn't want to call plays from the line of scrimmage and Manziel honestly never understood the scheme. They ended up running between 10-15 plays less per game last year than in Manziel's Heisman year. Jake Spavital is moving back to the sideline to call plays and increase the pace of play. Kenny Hill has been running this offense since his freshman year in High School. Both Kenny Hill and Kyle Allen were selected by the staff, because of the offenses they came from. People are saying that the "pace of play" is much faster this year than last.
Chill98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #22
spurman14
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 600
spurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talonsspurman14 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Ward wants us to play fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill98 View Post
As an A&M fan, I can tell you that this is a sound strategy. It worked last year. People a dissing the A&M defense, but what the fail to realize is that most of our opponents modified their strategies to adjust to A&M's speed of play. Bama and Auburn ran no huddle offenses and escaped with wins by a TD or less. Most of the other teams that A&M played often chose not to punt the ball. Several teams like Duke also chose to employ onside kicks.

A&M is going to be tough out this year. They offense took a HUGE step back last year. Clarence McKinney and Manziel were not in-sync. McKinney didn't want to call plays from the line of scrimmage and Manziel honestly never understood the scheme. They ended up running between 10-15 plays less per game last year than in Manziel's Heisman year. Jake Spavital is moving back to the sideline to call plays and increase the pace of play. Kenny Hill has been running this offense since his freshman year in High School. Both Kenny Hill and Kyle Allen were selected by the staff, because of the offenses they came from. People are saying that the "pace of play" is much faster this year than last.
Our coaching staff has laid down the blue print time and time again on how to "slow down" the HUNH. And that is to take as much time as possible while we have the ball. As long as we can move the ball effectively, That not only keeps the fast-paced opposition as well as our defense off the field. But it demorilizes their defense in the process. If our running game gets settled in, along with some well timed PA passes. I expect y'all to have a very long night. A 6 play 3 min drive does nothing for your defense if they just got off the field from a LONG 10-15 play drive that ate over 6 minutes off the clock.Call me crazy but I don't think your defense is suited to line up and play 60 minutes of grind-it-out, smash mouth football. I'm happy that whammy wants to have us playing fast, which is what we will need when our D is on the field. Because of course, we will essentially HAVE to stop you sometime. But I believe this game is going to come down to our O vs your D.

The reason why those teams barely escaped y'all's game with a win is because they simply worried too much about "keeping up with the pace" of your O. The way I see it, when playing a HUNH offense, you cannot let them dictate the game. WE have to set the pace.

Now don't be surprised to see us (if we get the ball first) to come out and score fairly quickly. (Like I said if we can move the ball, which I think we can). But if A&M strikes fairly quickly. I can almost guarentee you that we will end the game almost doubling your TOP.

"If the army and the navy, ever gazed on heaven's scenes, they'd find the streets are guarded by United States Marines."

- Semper Fi

Last edited by spurman14; 08-23-2014 at 04:47 PM.
spurman14 is offline   Reply With Quote