CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
sanford
b381l
Copperhead
ConwayGamecock
CockyGuy
Venables to TAMU? (3890)
Vegas line moving on (2688)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2556)
Clemson fans (2510)
Phil Kronblut show (1331)
Arkansas... (1174)
Women's Soccer Elite (969)
End of the aTm / LSU (892)
Anyone know what thi (784)
Have we been favored (696)
Arkansas...
Vegas line moving on game
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Texans getting frustrated
Tailgating tomorrow for t
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Venables to TAMU?
Clemson fans
Constant Updates on Watso
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh

Old 08-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #61
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: DJ Swearinger concusses Wes Welker

So sick of what football has become. Geared more and more for a generation of wussies.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #62
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCanNeverTell View Post
Vic Hampton knocked out Stave. DJ was already with the Texans last year.

facepalm...you are right. That hit was DJ esque though...
Old 08-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #63
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
dj does play reckless no one can deny that
Like you are supposed to!

This ain't soccer or tennis. Football is rough and it is dangerous and you must accept those facts before you step on the field and strap on the pads.

On defense, your job is to inflict as much pain into your opponent...in a sportsmanlike way.

People will get hurt- everyone needs to get over that. If you are concerned that you may get concussions then avoid NFL, stay in school, graduate, and get an office job.

These days defenders are so damn confused because they don't know what is a legal tackle...they lead with their shoudlerpads into upper body, flag. Tackle low at the legs to avoid penalty- accused of trying to break a leg and ruin someone's career.

Basically any big hit is viewed as unnecessary or "too rough." Some people, including myself, used to live for the big hit when we played the game. The tenacity, pinpoint planning and timing, and physical prowess it takes to land one of those hits is completely athletic.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #64
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Tell me more.
I will try to find the link from last season. I was working in Houston and there was an article where his position coach criticized DJ for playing out of position and not playing with enough discipline. Said he gets burned too much by playing out of position. I will look at my calendar to find the dates I was in Houston and link the article.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #65
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
So sick of what football has become. Geared more and more for a generation of wussies.
I wouldn't say for wusses, but they are making it too much of a business. You get crazy money for a reason. Man up or change professions.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #66
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
It's all about greed. It's because of lawsuits. No one wants to be sued for hundreds of millions. These ex-players and their PR teams are putting on their sob stories and playing victims and the public is eating it up. And it is all to get these ex-players more money. The rule changes by the NFL are so they look better in court and get more favorable decisions.

The Swearinger hit was perfectly legal. He didn't leave his feet, he lead with his shoulder and not his helmet. His elbow caught Welker's helmet only because Welker ducked. Eventually this could be illegal too as NFL is going the way of touch-football.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #67
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Replay should remove the penalty if the hit was shown legal
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #68
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I will try to find the link from last season. I was working in Houston and there was an article where his position coach criticized DJ for playing out of position and not playing with enough discipline. Said he gets burned too much by playing out of position. I will look at my calendar to find the dates I was in Houston and link the article.
Well, he was a rookie. "not enough discipline" is to be expected of a rookie. Being out of position is more the coach's fault. It's the coaches job to put him in the right position. There is nothing "reckless" about any of that.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #69
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
I wouldn't say for wusses, but they are making it too much of a business. You get crazy money for a reason. Man up or change professions.
You say that but go to an NFL training room after game day and it is brutal. For all of the folks complaining about how easy the game has become, I know several old time NFL guys who say they wouldn't play today with size and speed of players.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #70
henmania
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Well, he was a rookie. "not enough discipline" is to be expected of a rookie. Being out of position is more the coach's fault. It's the coaches job to put him in the right position. There is nothing "reckless" about any of that.
It was after a game that the Texans lost where Swearinger had two personal foul penaltiesn the game winning drive then lost his man for the touchdown. That's on swearinger. Just last week against the Falcons, he made a play to stop a drive then got flagged for excessive celebrating which kept the drive alive. The Falcons scored. That's undisciplined. In a money game you can't do that.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #71
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

Quote:
OMG!!! A defensive rookie out of position. Defensive rookies play out of position. They make mistakes. They're rookies. If a Texans writer needed a story last year it should have ran with their experienced QB forgetting what color uniforms the Texans wore.
YouCanNeverTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #72
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
You say that but go to an NFL training room after game day and it is brutal. For all of the folks complaining about how easy the game has become, I know several old time NFL guys who say they wouldn't play today with size and speed of players.
They are well compensated for their work, they have nothing to complain about. Don't like the brutality go find a desk job.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #73
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

IMO excessive celebrating penalty may as well result in a 1 quarter suspension .. I hate when we are called ..
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #74
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yea. They wouldn't play because they're too slow and too small. Everyone is bigger and faster. They're all on an even playin field.
YouCanNeverTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #75
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

DJ is still starting. If the coaches don't like him, why don't they bench him?
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #76
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Hate it for Wes, that may be it for him, he needs to think about his long-term health at this point.

Looked like a clean hit to me.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #77
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
You can't be more effectively tackled that to be knocked out on the ground. If you don't like the way he tackles than, fine, but you can't say he isn't effective at tackling or isn't a good tackler. Those tackles are made that way to try to separate the player from ball. It's good technique.
To each his own. I was taught hat on the ball and wrap up. Yes DJ knocks the hell out people. Is it fun to watch that? Yes it is but when It takes the chance of the penalty that with him Is normally coming afterwards. Just do it right.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #78
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Looks like Manning may have still been pissed off about DJ picking him off in a practice before the preseason game. Too bad they don't play in the regular season where we could see Manning go up against the Texans when Watt and Clowney are playing. Then again, Manning probably doesn't open his mouth if that were the case.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/...d-off-manning/

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #79
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormOfTalons View Post
Real classy. A great player's career may be over. I'm not crying I'm just sad for the man who might not get to play the game he loves anymore.

Not saying it is DJs fault at all if that is what you are thinking.

Wow, some people are just pathetic
Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #80
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
They are well compensated for their work, they have nothing to complain about. Don't like the brutality go find a desk job.
I feel bad for the guys from the past that are in terrible shape from their injuries. I can't find the same feelings for guys now with all of the information out there about multiple head injuries. They are in a high pay, highly dangerous job, they should be setting themselves up to survive on what they are making because it could end any moment. And not end where you move on to a new job, end where you are unable to do everyday stuff for yourself. But, how many times do we see it, player has to give up the game due to injuries, and is bankrupt because of bad decisions and the thought process that the money will never run out.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote