CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Seladen
usc1
PageUSC
Latti
JerseyBird
thumpin big
Cockypantherfan
kabercr2
looks like we have 2 (1328)
**USC vs. Clemson GA (834)
Beat Miami (557)
Decommitment from Te (451)
Garcia and Clemsux T (416)
Frank Martin's Game (393)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (388)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (353)
Need a dog kennel (134)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (113)
looks like we have 2 OL r
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Beat Miami
NY Giants Joe Morrison tr
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 - Mark Fields

Old 08-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #81
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: DJ Swearinger concusses Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne09 View Post
To each his own. I was taught hat on the ball and wrap up. Yes DJ knocks the hell out people. Is it fun to watch that? Yes it is but when It takes the chance of the penalty that with him Is normally coming afterwards. Just do it right.
You can't really do "hat on the ball" anymore because of the new rules. There is too much chance you get, hat on something else and then you get a penalty and a fine and a suspension. If you want to get the ball separated the best way it to hit them so hard with all your weight behind it before they can tuck the ball so they drop it. That was true before when you were allowed to use your helmet and it hasn't changed, you just have to use your shoulder.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #82
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Hate it for Wes, that may be it for him, he needs to think about his long-term health at this point.

Looked like a clean hit to me.
I wish people would let people make their own decisions instead telling them what they need to do or not do with their own bodies when it's not their life.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #83
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
It was after a game that the Texans lost where Swearinger had two personal foul penaltiesn the game winning drive then lost his man for the touchdown. That's on swearinger. Just last week against the Falcons, he made a play to stop a drive then got flagged for excessive celebrating which kept the drive alive. The Falcons scored. That's undisciplined. In a money game you can't do that.
You serious with this stuff? Everyone get's penalized some times and everyone get's beat some times. He is a very aggressive defender, sometimes it pays off and he makes great plays and sometimes it backfires and he get's a penalty or is "out of position." That is not reckless it's just being aggressive. He has won us several games with that aggressive style of his.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #84
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I wish people would let people make their own decisions instead telling them what they need to do or not do with their own bodies when it's not their life.
Sure they should be able to make their own decision on when to hang it up, but they also shouldn't do the pity party stuff some guys do after they keep playing long after they should have stopped and then suffer permanent injury.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #85
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Like you are supposed to!

This ain't soccer or tennis. Football is rough and it is dangerous and you must accept those facts before you step on the field and strap on the pads.

On defense, your job is to inflict as much pain into your opponent...in a sportsmanlike way.

People will get hurt- everyone needs to get over that. If you are concerned that you may get concussions then avoid NFL, stay in school, graduate, and get an office job.

These days defenders are so damn confused because they don't know what is a legal tackle...they lead with their shoudlerpads into upper body, flag. Tackle low at the legs to avoid penalty- accused of trying to break a leg and ruin someone's career.

Basically any big hit is viewed as unnecessary or "too rough." Some people, including myself, used to live for the big hit when we played the game. The tenacity, pinpoint planning and timing, and physical prowess it takes to land one of those hits is completely athletic.
No one is saying that you can't hit. I'm sure your playing days were some HS. Coaches taught differently then. Rules are put into place for fairness and safety. It is legal to trip a runner with your leg in HS, but I have yet to see anyone do it.

When people lower the crown of their helmet, that is a dangerous thing either for them or the people they are tackling. Targeting the head and neck is both dangerous and unnecessary.

If people don't like that, just bring back clothesline, horsecollars, launching yourself at someone with your helmet, tackling by the facemask...I mean, hey, it's football

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #86
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
No one is saying that you can't hit. I'm sure your playing days were some HS. Coaches taught differently then. Rules are put into place for fairness and safety. It is legal to trip a runner with your leg in HS, but I have yet to see anyone do it.

When people lower the crown of their helmet, that is a dangerous thing either for them or the people they are tackling. Targeting the head and neck is both dangerous and unnecessary.

If people don't like that, just bring back clothesline, horsecollars, launching yourself at someone with your helmet, tackling by the facemask...I mean, hey, it's football
Triping a runner is actually illegal at all levels just FYI.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #87
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Here is targeting defined as well as other items related to targeting

http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=2342

Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #88
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
No, it's not

Article 2-45

Quote:
Tripping is the use of the lower leg or foot to obstruct an opponent, who is not the runner, below the knee.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #89
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post

I've never promoted that one should lead into a tackle with their head down. Eyes up and head forward is a different story...but to target someone's upper body and say that is unnecessary? I disagree.

It is the easiest way to rattle someone into fumbling the ball, temporarily taking them out of the game, and shaking up their confidence.

Is is slightly more dangerous? Sure it is. Like I said, you accept that danger when you strap on the pads and walk onto the field. However, remember that a lot of these tackles and hits are made in the heat of the moment- there is no ill intent to them.

ANY big hit where the ball carrier is knocked out or shaken up where the defender came ANYWHERE close to the head of the ball carrier is called a penalty. That is excessive.

On a clothesline or horsecollar, you are intentionally reaching out to accomplish one thing.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #90
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Sure you can. Why on Earth would/should that be illegal?

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #91
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Tripping is a penalty in the NFL but don't think it is in other levels.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #92
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
He's a grown-ass man, he can make his own decisions. I'm voicing my opinion dude, if you don't like it hit the ignore button.

Folks with multiple concussions like Welker are at a high risk of dementia, depression, and neurological conditions like ALS. That's not opinion, that's fact.

Whether he wants to do something about it is entirely up to him. I hope he has someone with more interest in his welfare than you advising him.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #93
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
dj does play reckless no one can deny that
SMH.....let's try flag fball
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #94
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

That hit was nothing! Welker always has
Done that crap! Suck it up
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #95
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

So many people complaining about DJ's hit, and my question is how was he supposed to make that play? Wrap up? Go for the knees? Two-hand-tag? Tickle fight?

People assume that when a guy gets injured at the end of a play, the hit must have been dirty. There's just simply no other way that two bodies colliding at full speed could result in injury. Yeah right.

I think this was a reactionary flag, and Welker's previous concussions led to this newest one. Once you've had one, you're likely to get another.

How about instead of flagging defenders trying to make a clean hit, they start flagging ball carriers who lower their heads before a hit? How is that not illegal? And how is a guy who's running with the ball "defenseless?"

Again, the question nobody wants to address or knows how to address is what else could've been done there? How else could that hit have occurred without letting Welker slip by and into the end zone?
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #96
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I've never promoted that one should lead into a tackle with their head down. Eyes up and head forward is a different story...but to target someone's upper body and say that is unnecessary? I disagree.

It is the easiest way to rattle someone into fumbling the ball, temporarily taking them out of the game, and shaking up their confidence.

Is is slightly more dangerous? Sure it is. Like I said, you accept that danger when you strap on the pads and walk onto the field. However, remember that a lot of these tackles and hits are made in the heat of the moment- there is no ill intent to them.

ANY big hit where the ball carrier is knocked out or shaken up where the defender came ANYWHERE close to the head of the ball carrier is called a penalty. That is excessive.

On a clothesline or horsecollar, you are intentionally reaching out to accomplish one thing.
Horse collar is just tackling, so is clothesline, bio I'll intent, just heat of the moment.

Have your never read the sticker on the inside of a Helmet? People use helmets weapons and that is why there are rules...fairness and safety. Why should anyone care if someine breaks their neck or someone else's?

Old 08-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #97
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot material

Welker is gonna kill himself out there. he needs to retire. He tries to protect his head by curling up to absorb hits but he is just making his helmet a GIGANTIC target that can't be avoided. He is gonna have awful health issues
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #98
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Hey, Peyton, look at the replay.
Clean hit all day long & then some.
I wonder, is Swag so bad
he gotta play two-hand touch
while the rest play tackle??
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #99
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Dre Kirkpatrick with the most blatant, obvious helmet to helmet.

And No Flag
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #100
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

That penalty needs to be reviewable. Targeting is becoming too vague. Clearly define the penalty, and make it reviewable. Taking away big hits just handicaps the defense even worse than they already are.