CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
A. Pilgrim
b381l
gamecockgal
DTGCOCKS#32
markp_vip
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
gadeneer1986
Order 66
B-G
uniforms saturday (1580)
Vandy Fans (1276)
Neat statistic bruhh (1182)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Women of the SEC Ran (421)
Watch ESPN3 regional (411)
Cardinal's Jonathan (349)
No Vandy Predictions (184)
tailgating canopy on (149)
Places to watch Caro (145)
King - South Carolina vs
Terrible Officiating.
Texas Tech assistant resi
Terry Googer - new Wildca
No Vandy Predictions Thre
uniforms saturday
Places to watch Carolina
Vandy Fans
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
The SEC East schedule fro

Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #61
StormOfTalons
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
StormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPit
Default Re: I'm not buying the hype, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcclane View Post
I dont have a reputation for being overwhelmingly negative. And I do think the OP makes valid points. Could someone convince me that A&M's O is not going to torch our secondary? I really want someone to convince so that I can sleep Wednesday night.
SMDH.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #62
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
I dont have a reputation for being overwhelmingly negative. And I do think the OP makes valid points. Could someone convince me that A&M's O is not going to torch our secondary? I really want someone to convince so that I can sleep Wednesday night.
They are starting a quarterback who has never started a college game in his life. If this was at their stadium I would worry about him a lot more, but it is going to be really loud in our stadium with a very inexperienced QB. This is no cake walk, but this QB is in for huge challenge going on the road in the SEC for his first start.

Last edited by peterlemon; 08-23-2014 at 08:50 PM.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #63
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

It also may be reverse psychology.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #64
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

Related thought: a lot of people are worried about the drop off in mobility from Shaw, but a lot of people last year said Shaw ran around and took off too much without throwing the ball. So which is it?

Heck, it might be a good thing. I'm a Shaw fan, but there were times when he took off too early. He said so, Spurrier said so, Mangus said so, and it could be seen on TV.

I think this is just going to be a "Let's see what happens" kind of year. I'm actually optimistic. Thursday night will tell the tale quite a bit.
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #65
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #66
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

The reason people post negative things like this is because it's a win - win for them. If they are right, they can say I told you so, if they're wrong then they can say I'm glad I was wrong. Plus they lack confidence in themselves which carries over to the team the support. It's easy to try to point to things or players that may not be as good as last year, but other than Clowney, I think we are better or even at every position.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #67
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I wish I could convince you but unfortunately I share the same concerns.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #68
El Cid Ranger
Black Magic Squad

Male

CockyCash: 850200
El Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
I'd rather not spend the week before the game getting ready to jump off the Ravenel Bridge with some of y'all, take a step back now it's only week 1....

Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #69
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
They are starting a quarterback who has never started a college game in his life. If this was at their stadium I would worry about him a lot more, but it is going to be really loud in our stadium with a very inexperienced QB. This is no cake walk, but this QB is in for huge challenge going on the road in the SEC for his first start.
solid point. but an inexperienced QB surrounded by monster athletes can hide his inexperience. i'm mostly nervous about their athletes in space against ours, not so much a their QB laser cutting our D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatlighting View Post
Related thought: a lot of people are worried about the drop off in mobility from Shaw, but a lot of people last year said Shaw ran around and took off too much without throwing the ball. So which is it?

Heck, it might be a good thing. I'm a Shaw fan, but there were times when he took off too early. He said so, Spurrier said so, Mangus said so, and it could be seen on TV.

I think this is just going to be a "Let's see what happens" kind of year. I'm actually optimistic. Thursday night will tell the tale quite a bit.
i tend to think Dylan will surprise for this reason. i wonder if many of the 3rd downs Shaw stole last year would have never been 3rd downs had he not taken off on 1st and 2nd for a gain of 3 or 4.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #70
kevhugh
Bowl MVP

Male

kevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurs

Not saying I agree with the OP but there are a lot of question marks for many of the top teams in the country.

For us, I think it hinges on two things on offense:

1) How does the loss of Connor's mobility change our offense? Does it hurt us in 3rd down situations or does Dylan's arm and a veteran O-line make up for it as an earlier poster suggested?

2) Who steps up to be the guy that makes the catch you absolutely have to have. (Two years ago it was Ace, last year it was Bruce). Each time we had a crucial passing down that could make or break or season, Ellington stepped up. Now it's time for someone else to step up. (Roland or Jones perhaps?)

And defense once again comes down to the secondary but that horse has been beaten to death in the offseason.
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #71
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
The reason people post negative things like this is because it's a win - win for them. If they are right, they can say I told you so, if they're wrong then they can say I'm glad I was wrong. Plus they lack confidence in themselves which carries over to the team the support. It's easy to try to point to things or players that may not be as good as last year, but other than Clowney, I think we are better or even at every position.
Other than the psychoanalysis and the "better or even" statement, I can find some validity here, especially the first claim.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #72
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

There may be some inexperience here and there, but we're loaded with talent this year. My garnet crystal ball is predicting 11-1 or 12-0.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #73
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Other than the psychoanalysis and the "better or even" statement, I can find some validity here, especially the first claim.
name a player that we are worse this year than last year....
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #74
sanford
4-Star

Male

sanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his comb

Quote:
name a player that we are worse this year than last year....
are you asking to name a player who is not as good as the one he is replacing in his respective position?
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #75
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford View Post
are you asking to name a player who is not as good as the one he is replacing in his respective position?
yes, other than Clowney....thanks for the clarification....
Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #76
sanford
4-Star

Male

sanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his combsanford is developing his comb

Quote:
yes, other than Clowney....thanks for the clarification....
I would say Dylan for starters, but this has been argued into the ground even amongst Gamecock fans. the sole reasoning for me is the mobility loss from Shaw to Dylan. if nothing was there downfield Shaw had the legs to get positive yards as the line began to break down and the pocket closed up. that kept drives going and was a big plus. I just see Dylan having to throw it away in most of those situations or take the sack. either way would be drive killers.

I also don't see any cornerbacks who will perform as well as Hampton and Legree. at least not right away. I think it will be a minimum of mid season before the new blood gets to that level, if then.

other than that I would say whoever is replacing Kelcy Quarles isn't going to match his production from last year.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #77
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would say Dylan for starters, but this has been argued into the ground even amongst Gamecock fans. the sole reasoning for me is the mobility loss from Shaw to Dylan. if nothing was there downfield Shaw had the legs to get positive yards as the line began to break down and the pocket closed up. that kept drives going and was a big plus. I just see Dylan having to throw it away in most of those situations or take the sack. either way would be drive killers.

I also don't see any cornerbacks who will perform as well as Hampton and Legree. at least not right away. I think it will be a minimum of mid season before the new blood gets to that level, if then.

other than that I would say whoever is replacing Kelcy Quarles isn't going to match his production from last year.
I get the top few arguments, but the last one I don't get. We are loaded at DT with experienced depth. We aren't counting on freshmen, these are 3rd-4th year players in our system and several of them former highly rated recruits. I have no concerns at DT.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #78
sanford
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I get the top few arguments, but the last one I don't get. We are loaded at DT with experienced depth. We aren't counting on freshmen, these are 3rd-4th year players in our system and several of them former highly rated recruits. I have no concerns at DT.
yeah, I get what you are saying. I'm not saying the d line will suck. just saying a guy who put up 10 or 11 sacks is unlikely to be replaced by someone who matches that production.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #79
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Naming a position with a dropoff, I would say Hampton, Quarles, Shaw, Ellington, and Patrick. I think every replacement (including 2 deep at a couple) may likely be better than their predecessor at some point later, but the dropoff will be felt. I do think, however, we have the depth to perform even better as a team. On DL, the no-namers could be a real force with specialists moving in and out. We might be able to just wear out good teams by throwing a wave of quality, hungry players at them. At LB/spur, we have a strong battle going on across the level with an improved MLB being passed by a player with some game experience last year. At DB, the battles are also intense. At QB, we'll see pretty soon. AT WR, no one player offers what Bruce did, but the top 4 look really good, and we have 6 or 7 who can already play - with 3 freshmen grinding to learn the system.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:38 AM   #80
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:

without beating this anymore than it already has, Dylan can't run as well as Shaw, but he's a better passer......so that's at worst a tie.....remember Dylan running against Clemson in 2012.
Per the CB comparison, Williams as a CB is probably at least as good as either than Hampton or Legree and either Harris or McWilliams are pretty good as well, so I see the combination of the 2 CB is even. Remember Hampton played out of position a ton until Whammy finally sat him. We'll see how the position plays out.
Kelcy was good last year but Dixon is pretty good too......plus our depth at the DT position is better this year than last year.

Last edited by b381l; 08-25-2014 at 12:54 AM.