CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5578)
looks like we have 2 (1996)
Decommitment from Te (928)
Beat Miami (815)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (640)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (624)
Cleveland Browns Hea (617)
Garcia and Clemsux T (604)
Need a dog kennel (239)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (170)
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 08-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #41
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Connor Shaw the most frustrated player in the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
If Shaw was so great, why did none of the 32 NFL teams draft him?
If Alabama was such a good team, why did they lose 2 games in 2013?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #42
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
If Shaw was so great, why did none of the 32 NFL teams draft him?

I am not saying that Connor Shaw is great, or even good.

I am saying is your statement is idiotic just based on NFL history.

Drafting players is based more on hype and physical measurements more than any other factors (like game film, work ethic and character).

Fact: there are more Hall of Famers who were undrafted free agents than there are #1 picks.

Josh Cribbs went undrafted.

Jeff Garcia went undrafted.

Wayne Chrebet went undrafted.

Donnie Shell went undrafted.

Tony Romo went undrafted.

Larry Little went undrafted.

Jeff Saturday went undrafted.

Rod Smith went undrafted.

London Fletcher went undrafted.

Priest Holmes went undrafted.

Adam Vinateri went undrafted.

Willie Brown went undrafted.

Arian Foster went undrafted.

Brian Waters went undrafted.

Marion Motley went undrafted.

Wes Welker went undrafted.

Emlen Tunnell went undrafted.

Joe Perry went undrafted.

James Harrison went undrafted.

John Randle went undrafted.

Antonio Gates went undrafted.

Lou Groza went undrafted.

Warren Moon went undrafted.

Night Train Lane went undrafted.

Kurt Warner went undrafted.

Victor Cruz went undrafted.

Joe Jacoby went undrafted.

Willie Hood went undrafted.

Miles Austin went undrafted.

The list goes on and on.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #43
ut_vols13
Walk On

Male

ut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post

If SC is such a great team why did they not beat the crappy VOLS last year.
ut_vols13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #44
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:

It was the most embarrassing loss by far that we have had in a long time. I agree with that. It was rough.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #45
evan_aggie
Recruit

Male

evan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Yet, he still has done better than Manziel in camp and preseason games. So what's that say about Manziel that he is the chosen one and get every chance to look good and still looks like crap. Manziel will be a huge bust. He was overrated in college and is another media overhyped player to bust in the NFL.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/8/...y-day-in-akron

Quote:
Wow! Connor Shaw has been awful at #Browns scrimmage.

By the way, I'm not saying Manziel is the 2nd coming either. I'm a fair guy... I think everyone should get a shot, but the fact is that Johnny brings all of the excitement and hoopla and you have to take it for what it is. Shaw was undrafted. Johnny was drafted in the 1st round. They aren't going to START Shaw after 1 game in the 4th quarter. A&M had a guy, Jerrod Johnson that always played well in the Steeler's preseason games. He never got his shot either. Like I said, I think Shaw is a much more serviceable number #2 or #3 QB. I mean come on... Blaine Gabbert looks like a turd and he STILL manages to find his way as a backup.
evan_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #46
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thank you for actually proving my point again. Read GH's post, you will learn why your statement is a fallacy.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #47
ut_vols13
Walk On

Male

ut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I am not saying that Connor Shaw is great, or even good.

I am saying is your statement is idiotic just based on NFL history.

Drafting players is based more on hype and physical measurements more than any other factors (like game film, work ethic and character).

Fact: there are more Hall of Famers who were undrafted free agents than there are #1 picks.

Josh Cribbs went undrafted.

Jeff Garcia went undrafted.

Wayne Chrebet went undrafted.

Donnie Shell went undrafted.

Tony Romo went undrafted.

Larry Little went undrafted.

Jeff Saturday went undrafted.

Rod Smith went undrafted.

London Fletcher went undrafted.

Priest Holmes went undrafted.

Adam Vinateri went undrafted.

Willie Brown went undrafted.

Arian Foster went undrafted.

Brian Waters went undrafted.

Marion Motley went undrafted.

Wes Welker went undrafted.

Emlen Tunnell went undrafted.

Joe Perry went undrafted.

James Harrison went undrafted.

John Randle went undrafted.

Antonio Gates went undrafted.

Lou Groza went undrafted.

Warren Moon went undrafted.

Night Train Lane went undrafted.

Kurt Warner went undrafted.

Victor Cruz went undrafted.

Joe Jacoby went undrafted.

Willie Hood went undrafted.

Miles Austin went undrafted.

The list goes on and on.
Just ribbing you guys. I hope Shaw does well. He seems like a good guy with a level head on his shoulders and will have a great future without football because of that alone.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #48
rabid cock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100
rabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGamecockfan09 View Post
I love Shaw as much as anyone but I don't really understand how you can say that Shaw is "much better" than JM. Unless you're a browns coach how could you make that claim.
Did you see him play? He was the same Shaw we have been watching for years. Perhaps it was coincidence he was eight for nine. Then again........
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #49
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot materialcockybreeyan is USC mascot material

Quote:
that's a really terrible argument, fyi
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #50
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
Did you see him play? He was the same Shaw we have been watching for years. Perhaps it was coincidence he was eight for nine. Then again........
I know and I was so happy to see that. However, it's nfl preseason ball. Everyone here knows that it doesn't mean crap. It's just a showcase. The browns coaches know a lot more than any of us do. I hope he gets his chance and proves that he's the man that we all know he can be but I still stand by the fact you can't state he's definitively better than a Heisman winning once in a generation type player.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #51
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
that's a really terrible argument, fyi
Of course it is, that's the point. Read follow up posts to get the whole idea.

GH did all of the homework, arguing that someone isn't a good player just because they aren't drafted has been proven a silly argument.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #52
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
Either Pettine is the worst coach in the NFL or he just hates Connor Shaw. It had to be torture for Shaw to simply sit on the sidelines last night while Hoyer stunk it up for the whole first half. Johnny played better than he did last time out, but still never looked as crisp as Shaw did.

It's clear the Browns have no intention of even giving Shaw the closer look he earned the other night so I hope they do the right thing and let him go so he can catch on with another team.
Pettine has to figure out who his QB is going to be. He is putting in a new system and both his top 2 QBs need reps in it. While I was surprised Shaw didn't play, I imagine we will see him a lot next game. The next game is figuring out who to cut and keep. This game was figuring out who your starters/contributors will be. Lots of staters played in the second half this go around. I think they like Connor fine. I think they want to keep him, at least for the practice squad.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #53
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGamecockfan09 View Post
I know and I was so happy to see that. However, it's nfl preseason ball. Everyone here knows that it doesn't mean crap. It's just a showcase. The browns coaches know a lot more than any of us do. I hope he gets his chance and proves that he's the man that we all know he can be but I still stand by the fact you can't state he's definitively better than a Heisman winning once in a generation type player.
That must be why they have been so awesome always.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #54
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Just ribbing you guys. I hope Shaw does well. He seems like a good guy with a level head on his shoulders and will have a great future without football because of that alone.

That's cool.

What is the outlook on the Utah State game? I know zero about it.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #55
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1000001185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Yeah no one on Cockytalk is bias for Shaw???? LOL He played well against the scrubs of one team and we have him as the starter, not one of us has been to a Brown's practice that I'm aware of but it is the Brown's coaches being bias not the Gamecock fans...Shaw will get his shot, but it makes more sense to cut him and sign him off waivers while not letting any other team see him again though I think we see a good bit of Shaw in the Brown's last preseason game.

If you've read any of my posts here you'd know I'm pretty objective. Shaw plays against the same players that Manziel and Hoyer play against. All teams throw out a mix of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd stringers throughout every preseason game.

Of course the Browns coaches are biased. What if the roles were reversed and they happened to draft Shaw 1st round, give him a huge sum of money, and he went out and played like that. Think they would sit him the next game? No sir.

I'm not saying they should start Shaw the next game, I'm just saying they would be dumb to not give him another chance to prove that he's the best QB on the field.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #56
ut_vols13
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
That's cool.

What is the outlook on the Utah State game? I know zero about it.

Could be iffy. The VOLS have are rebuilding but I hope we win.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #57
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Yet, he still has done better than Manziel in camp and preseason games. So what's that say about Manziel that he is the chosen one and get every chance to look good and still looks like crap. Manziel will be a huge bust. He was overrated in college and is another media overhyped player to bust in the NFL.
Overrated in College??? You mean a guy that breaks the Single game record for Offense in the SEC not once, not twice, but THREE times, the same guy that won a Heisman as a Freshman and then had better stats the next year and didn't win simply because his defense sucked??? That's the guy that was overrated? Have you watched any of his highlights and still say he is "overrated"? Come on guy you can't honestly believe that.

Hyped in the NFL? yeah for sure he is. Big things are expected of those that have done big things. Is he still a Rookie and 21 years old and needs some big time work before he is ready to start? YES no doubt about it.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #58
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Of course it is, that's the point. Read follow up posts to get the whole idea.

GH did all of the homework, arguing that someone isn't a good player just because they aren't drafted has been proven a silly argument.
There are plenty of examples of people that aren't drafted that do make it and do well, but is that really the norm? Look at the numbers and the percentages of those that don't get drafted and then DON'T make it.

The old saying "Even a Blind Squirrel finds a nut every once in a while" comes to mind.

Can it happen? Yeah, but is that really the norm?
Let's break this down simply for you.

So there are roughly 200 teams that produce players each year (FBS and FCS only) so let's say those rosters average 80 players and then lets say that 1/4th of them are seniors. (Using round numbers her for you guys) So that means that there are about 4000 seniors each year that finish college.
Now, look at the draft, 7 rounds of 32 and that is 224 slots. So you just named about 30 guys that span decades across the NFL...

Yeah he has a shot, but I just bought a lottery ticket and I have a shot to win that too.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #59
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200537793047022130
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymind17 View Post
I'll say it.. SHAW IS BETTER THAN MANZIEL!! You heard it here first..!!!
Lots of yardsticks to pick from but if about having laser focus on the 1st down marker and winning games you've clearly picked a winner ;)
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #60
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Overrated in College??? You mean a guy that breaks the Single game record for Offense in the SEC not once, not twice, but THREE times, the same guy that won a Heisman as a Freshman and then had better stats the next year and didn't win simply because his defense sucked??? That's the guy that was overrated? Have you watched any of his highlights and still say he is "overrated"? Come on guy you can't honestly believe that.

Hyped in the NFL? yeah for sure he is. Big things are expected of those that have done big things. Is he still a Rookie and 21 years old and needs some big time work before he is ready to start? YES no doubt about it.
He receive we too much credit for his teams success. He played with stud OL and WRs, in an offense that inflates QB stats. Having 2 top draft picks protecting him with a freak WR to loft it up to whenever in doubt made him look a lot better than he actually was.