CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2117)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1612)
Former Gamecock root (1454)
Franks boy's are pla (1312)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (661)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (595)
Bruce!!! (589)
Kentucky is dominati (566)
Question for those w (471)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Decommitment from Texas A
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha

Old 08-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #21
gamecockhub
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 10251
gamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Howdy! - Tailgating question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielicious View Post
Thank you very much for the feedback!

I typically do not take liquor to games because the good stuff is usually in glass bottles, are there any restrictions towards glass bottles in the tailgating areas?

Are there restaurants or bars close to the stadium?
In addition to the aforementioned Bojangles, there is a new BBQ place called Cockpit BBQ on Bluff rd across from the fairgrounds. I have not been there so cannot give a review. There is also a waffle house on the other side of the stadium.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #22
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talons

From the game day info site...PARKING GATES
Gates for Gamecock Park will open six hours prior to kickoff or at 8 a.m., whichever is later. All other lots will open five hours prior to kickoff or at 8 a.m., whichever is later. Vehicles should be removed no later than two hours after the conclusion of the game or risk being locked in until the following business day.
Private lots will be open earlier and sometimes the traffic is heavier around the time the university lots open and thins out considerably in the 4-3 hour range before kickoff and gets heavier again closer to kickoff.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #23
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Fairgrounds opens at noon Thursday. Period. This is Grayson, whom you call for fairgrounds parking:

As to the OP: my tailgate is small, just four of us, I won't have enough food to feed people carrying 10 cases of beer, but feel free to stop by for some Jell-O shots.

If you are in the fairgrounds, I tailgate at "the rocket". It's a rocket. It looks like a big rocket. I'll have a TV showing us beat Wiscy in the bowl last year, and probably showing most extreme elimination challenge before that.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #24
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Howdy!

I will be making the trip to Columbia next week with a couple of buddies of mine and wanted to see what the tailgating etiquette is like in SC. Being that this is my first away SEC game, I want to make sure that it is done right.

(Stating the obvious, we will not be disrespectful to your University, Alumni and fellow tailgaters. We want to have a great time!)

Any suggestions on things to do in regards to pregame?

How soon does pregame start for a 6 pm kickoff?

In my group, we are avid drinkers, do ya'll do any recreational beer pong, flip cup, corn hole... drinking games before the games? If so, would you all accept new challengers perhaps? ;)

We would like to join an SC tailgate with a charitable donation $$$, of course, or coolers of beer. Are there any rules in the tailgating area regarding alcohol on the premises?

If we were to show up with some 8 - 10 cases of beer, would we be frowned upon from crashing a tailgate?

Any information is greatly appreciated and we look forward to visiting you next week.

Gig'em!

Ags 35 - SC 31 (unless of course you have the "Wheel Route" in the playbook!)

Just bring a keg.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
Aggielicious
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Aggielicious has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Fairgrounds opens at noon Thursday. Period. This is Grayson, whom you call for fairgrounds parking:

As to the OP: my tailgate is small, just four of us, I won't have enough food to feed people carrying 10 cases of beer, but feel free to stop by for some Jell-O shots.

If you are in the fairgrounds, I tailgate at "the rocket". It's a rocket. It looks like a big rocket. I'll have a TV showing us beat Wiscy in the bowl last year, and probably showing most extreme elimination challenge before that.
Thank you very much for the hospitality brayarx! Since we have never been to Williams Bryce Stadium, I can't guarantee that we will find your tailgate but we will definitely try.

What are the "fairgrounds"? Is that what the common tailgating space is called?

I've also heard horror stories about the 5 points area for "out of towners"; is that a bad place to go? We have been told to stick around the La Vista area. Suggestions?

On a separate note, our tickets are for section 503 row 20 something... is that a hostile area of the stadium? How soon before kickoff should we start heading for our seats to take it all in?

Any "must do's/must see" in USC while we are there?

Thanks again!
Aggielicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #26
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talons

Five points is mostly all under 25, but it's something you might need to see regardless of age. There are several good restaurants in 5 pts...fine dining, Saludas or Garibaldis, casual, Pawleys Front Porch, The Salty Nut or Yesterdays(food is ok, but it's something of an institution). Harpers is a good casual dining choice. The vista is more of post college entertainment area...good bars and restaurants...too many to list. I'm sure you'll get many different recommendations.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #27
dixiecock
Walk On

dixiecock is learning to peck

503 is upper deck east, you will be amongst other aggies.

you want to be in your seat by 5:30, how long it takes you to get there depends on where you are coming from but I would plan on 15 minutes form when you enter the gate to get up there.

2 main tailgating/parking areas are gamecock park and the fairgrounds. You will likley be parking cloer to or coming from the fairgrounds direction. Fairgrounds has a reserved parking section and a section open to the public. The Aggie tailgate gathering is in the public parking section of the fairgrounds.
dixiecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #28
USCocks3
Palmetto State Champions

Male

CockyCash: 1001115
USCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPitUSCocks3 rules the CockPit

Will have the usual crew of 12 or so reserved spaces in the Fairgrounds. As with every game, all are welcome, provided you're not acting like a douche!

We always have music, food (won't be nearly as bountiful as usual, being that it's a weekday game), cornhole, probably some flip cup, etc, and satellite TV for folks that don't have tickets to the game.

We're right over by the grandstands in the Fairgrounds, will have a flag pole and a banner with the name of our group, "The Cocks' Block"!
USCocks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #29
NJCocky14
Recruit

Male

NJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Thank you very much for the hospitality brayarx! Since we have never been to Williams Bryce Stadium, I can't guarantee that we will find your tailgate but we will definitely try.

I've also heard horror stories about the 5 points area for "out of towners"; is that a bad place to go? We have been told to stick around the La Vista area. Suggestions?

On a separate note, our tickets are for section 503 row 20 something... is that a hostile area of the stadium? How soon before kickoff should we start heading for our seats to take it all in?

Thanks again!

In my opinion, most of those horror stories people tell about 5 points are exaggerated. It is typically a younger college aged crowd but during the weekend of a game you'll find people of all ages. For the most part, I honestly don't think you'll have a problem unless you or your friends go looking for trouble.

With that being said, there are definitely some places I think you should avoid. Pavs is a fun place but it's filled with young douchy kids. The place is filled with plenty of idiots looking for a fight on a normal weekend, so I would imagine it's not a great place to go for opposing fans.

Also probably avoid Cover 3 and Bird Dog. They've kind of become the go to bar for underage kids.

As a start, I would definitely check out Jakes. Very chill atmosphere and they usually have a band on Wednesday nights. You can hang outside on the patio or go inside and play pool or whatever.

Blazing Copper, which used to be called Saloon, is a country bar if you're into that. It's a popular place on Thursdays because they have dollar beers.

I'm a big fan of pinch. Cool atmosphere and they always have dollar beers. Also just opened a deck upstairs. It's a pretty small place and there's always a line, especially during football season so I would suggest getting there early.

Moosehead is pretty cool. They have a mechanical bull, which is always entertaining. The crowd is kind of all over the place ranging from kids who graduated a couple years ago to freshman.

Village Idiot isn't what it used to be, but it's still a solid place to go and chill with your friends early in the night and grab some pizza.
NJCocky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #30
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:

Thanks again!
Stick to the Vista if you are over 22 years old! There are plenty of nice bars and restaurants there:

Bars:
Pearlz
Oyster Bar
Tin Roof (this is your best bet for great scenery and a good time with live music)
Wild Hare

Restaurants:
Blue Marlin
Colas
Oak table
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #31
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Horror stories? Keep the taters out your ears.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #32
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockhub View Post
In addition to the aforementioned Bojangles, there is a new BBQ place called Cockpit BBQ on Bluff rd across from the fairgrounds. I have not been there so cannot give a review. There is also a waffle house on the other side of the stadium.
It's a small room on the side of a gas station. Alright que, brisket is supposed to be awesome. Wasn't fond of their sauces.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:07 AM   #33
bigoleCOCK3521
Walk On

Male

bigoleCOCK3521 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post
Stick to the Vista if you are over 22 years old! There are plenty of nice bars and restaurants there:

Bars:
Pearlz
Oyster Bar
Tin Roof (this is your best bet for great scenery and a good time with live music)
Wild Hare

Restaurants:
Blue Marlin
Colas
Oak table
Tin Roof is wild with good cover bands. only bad thing is a cover to get in
bigoleCOCK3521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #34
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:

Thanks again!

The fairgrounds is a large parking lot/open space with some buildings across George Rogers Blvd from the stadium. It is where our state fair is held, hence the name. Any gamecock fan should be able to tell you where the rocket is if you want to stop by. Also, it's easy to spot. If I get on a computer later, I'll make you a top down map of the stadium area.

503 is east upper, meaning the sun will be setting in your eyes, you will probably want to take sunglasses in. It is supposed to be hot Thursday, and Columbia is humid. Last year for the unc game that was in similar conditions, people at my tailgate were into double digit beers when someone mentioned "hey, I haven't been to the bathroom", we all realized no one had been yet, I was on beer #16. I say that to tell you: there will be sweat.

5 points is the "college" bar district. Young crowd there. The "vista" is more young professional+.

Stop at a liquor store for mini bottles to take into the game if you like to keep your buzz going. It's not allowed, so be somewhat discreet, but you aren't patted down before entering.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #35
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

The latest forecast this morning for Thursday is sunny and a high of 98!!!!! 503 is indeed in the sun. Be sure to take a hat as the sunglasses are great, but until the sun sets it is a beast on your head. Take sunscreen as well. Those new wetrags are probably a great idea.

If you THINK you've been hot in Texas - think again. I know the temps are sometimes extreme there, but Columbia is "Famously Hot" - and HUMID! The heat can envelope you in Columbia.

That said, 503 is good for viewing the games. Because that is ONE of the places where the visiting teams sit AND where a lot of single seats are sold, there are (usually) at least a couple of stupid confrontations where people who have had a little too much to drink end up taking things too far and are escorted out of the stadium.

I'm expecting some issues around Willy B Thursday night because I've been told that some Aggies stand up for the entire game and I can tell you that some Gamecock fans won't stand for that (pun intended).

That said - enjoy the night...except for the final score which I hope the good guys win (USC 38, A&M 24)
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #36
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Tony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talons

I work for the event services (usher) and we cannot make people sit down. You can stand up the whole game, and people will complain, but there is nothing we can do. Unless you're standing ON your seat, that is not allowed!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #37
jgh35
Walk On

Male

jgh35 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesWinnfield90 View Post
8-10 cases? goodness gracious
Yeah, I hope you don't run out.
jgh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #38
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
The latest forecast this morning for Thursday is sunny and a high of 98!!!!! 503 is indeed in the sun. Be sure to take a hat as the sunglasses are great, but until the sun sets it is a beast on your head. Take sunscreen as well. Those new wetrags are probably a great idea.

If you THINK you've been hot in Texas - think again. I know the temps are sometimes extreme there, but Columbia is "Famously Hot" - and HUMID! The heat can envelope you in Columbia.

That said, 503 is good for viewing the games. Because that is ONE of the places where the visiting teams sit AND where a lot of single seats are sold, there are (usually) at least a couple of stupid confrontations where people who have had a little too much to drink end up taking things too far and are escorted out of the stadium.

I'm expecting some issues around Willy B Thursday night because I've been told that some Aggies stand up for the entire game and I can tell you that some Gamecock fans won't stand for that (pun intended).

That said - enjoy the night...except for the final score which I hope the good guys win (USC 38, A&M 24)
Dallas is hotter. It is like hell.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
l^l^lBGCock
Blue Chip

Male

l^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot materiall^l^lBGCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Howdy!

I will be making the trip to Columbia next week with a couple of buddies of mine and wanted to see what the tailgating etiquette is like in SC. Being that this is my first away SEC game, I want to make sure that it is done right.

(Stating the obvious, we will not be disrespectful to your University, Alumni and fellow tailgaters. We want to have a great time!)

Any suggestions on things to do in regards to pregame?

How soon does pregame start for a 6 pm kickoff?

In my group, we are avid drinkers, do ya'll do any recreational beer pong, flip cup, corn hole... drinking games before the games? If so, would you all accept new challengers perhaps? ;)

We would like to join an SC tailgate with a charitable donation $$$, of course, or coolers of beer. Are there any rules in the tailgating area regarding alcohol on the premises?

If we were to show up with some 8 - 10 cases of beer, would we be frowned upon from crashing a tailgate?

Any information is greatly appreciated and we look forward to visiting you next week.

Gig'em!

Ags 35 - SC 31 (unless of course you have the "Wheel Route" in the playbook!)
****. Another one.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #40
Aggielicious
Walk On

Male

Aggielicious has hatched from the shell

Thanks for the feedback and hospitality! We will make it a point to stop and check out y'alls tailgates if we don't get too lost.

As far as standing during the game, most of us will do so for kickoffs and big plays (no different than any other school). The student section at Kyle Field does so during the entire game. Don't see this as being a problem.
Aggielicious is offline   Reply With Quote