CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
Cockyteg
kevhugh
eatlighting
Latti
Spurrier was Embaras (2149)
ECU is a good team (1648)
Spurrier not happy s (1634)
Is it possible for o (1547)
Why we'll dominate C (1402)
More David Williams (1385)
Lammons out (1093)
Alabama vs Florida. (1084)
ECU is a good team (974)
Our wide receivers w (799)
Are yall Dak Prescott bel
Vandy Highlights
Curse of the Chicken
More David Williams Pleas
Is it possible for our Sp
Spurrier not happy so why
Glad We Won
Why we'll dominate Clemso
Spurrier was Embarassed
Well, as it turns out, we

Old 08-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #61
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Connor Shaw the most frustrated player in the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
There are plenty of examples of people that aren't drafted that do make it and do well, but is that really the norm? Look at the numbers and the percentages of those that don't get drafted and then DON'T make it.

The old saying "Even a Blind Squirrel finds a nut every once in a while" comes to mind.

Can it happen? Yeah, but is that really the norm?
Let's break this down simply for you.

So there are roughly 200 teams that produce players each year (FBS and FCS only) so let's say those rosters average 80 players and then lets say that 1/4th of them are seniors. (Using round numbers her for you guys) So that means that there are about 4000 seniors each year that finish college.
Now, look at the draft, 7 rounds of 32 and that is 224 slots. So you just named about 30 guys that span decades across the NFL...

Yeah he has a shot, but I just bought a lottery ticket and I have a shot to win that too.
If you take off your Aggie glasses you'll see what we're talking about. No one is saying Shaw should be starting. What we're saying is that both Manzel and Hoyer have looked like shit. Manzel has looked like shit against the same competition that Shaw performed well against. With both QB's playing so bad, why not see exactly what Shaw can do.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #62
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Bed Sores has feathers coming inBed Sores has feathers coming in

After reading this thread in its entirety I have reminded myself that online message boards have overzealous fans.

Some of you sound borderline crazy
Bed Sores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #63
rabid cock
Recruit

Male

rabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGamecockfan09 View Post
I know and I was so happy to see that. However, it's nfl preseason ball. Everyone here knows that it doesn't mean crap. It's just a showcase. The browns coaches know a lot more than any of us do. I hope he gets his chance and proves that he's the man that we all know he can be but I still stand by the fact you can't state he's definitively better than a Heisman winning once in a generation type player.
You're right....not definitively. But I can point out numerous instances when even a Heisman winner did not translate to a successful NFL career. (Can you say Tim Tebow?) Successful college players don't always make it in the NFL, while good and often overlooked players often have whatever attributes are necessary to succeed at that higher level. Perhaps (not definitely) Shaw has those attributes.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #64
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bed Sores View Post
After reading this thread in its entirety I have reminded myself that online message boards have overzealous fans.

Some of you sound borderline crazy
So you believe Manzel and Hoyer have looked good during the preseason???
Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #65
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
So you believe Manzel and Hoyer have looked good during the preseason???
Didn't say that. What some of you seem to fail to realize is this. Hoyer is the ONLY one of the 3 that have actual NFL game experience. There was no way in hell that the Brows would place him outside of the 2 deep.

With that said it then boils down to Manziel and Shaw. Between money invested in Manziel, college film, practice and combine results. Yall are crazy to think Shaw is going to beat out Manziel for the #2 spot. As I said before, I predict Manziel will be the starter going into week 5
Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #66
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
There are plenty of examples of people that aren't drafted that do make it and do well, but is that really the norm? Look at the numbers and the percentages of those that don't get drafted and then DON'T make it.

The old saying "Even a Blind Squirrel finds a nut every once in a while" comes to mind.

Can it happen? Yeah, but is that really the norm?
Let's break this down simply for you.

So there are roughly 200 teams that produce players each year (FBS and FCS only) so let's say those rosters average 80 players and then lets say that 1/4th of them are seniors. (Using round numbers her for you guys) So that means that there are about 4000 seniors each year that finish college.
Now, look at the draft, 7 rounds of 32 and that is 224 slots. So you just named about 30 guys that span decades across the NFL...

Yeah he has a shot, but I just bought a lottery ticket and I have a shot to win that too.
Since you are big on odds, how have Heisman winning QBs done in the NFL lately? Will Johnny be an exception to the norm in your opinion?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #67
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Since you are big on odds, how have Heisman winning QBs done in the NFL lately? Will Johnny be an exception to the norm in your opinion?

What was Johnny's odds of winning a Heisman as a freshman before he played a snap?

Odds of being a starter at 6' ft tall?

Odds of setting multiple SEC/NCAA records as a freshman? As a sophomore?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #68
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I think Sam Bradford is probably a lot more frustrated than Connor right now.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #69
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Didn't say that. What some of you seem to fail to realize is this. Hoyer is the ONLY one of the 3 that have actual NFL game experience. There was no way in hell that the Brows would place him outside of the 2 deep.

With that said it then boils down to Manziel and Shaw. Between money invested in Manziel, college film, practice and combine results. Yall are crazy to think Shaw is going to beat out Manziel for the #2 spot. As I said before, I predict Manziel will be the starter going into week 5
The thread is not about Shaw beating out Manzel. It's about allowing Shaw the opportunity to display his talents since Manzel and Hoyer have both played poorly. Shaw may very well fall on his face and stink it up in the NFL, but he should have the opportunity to prove his self.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #70
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
What was Johnny's odds of winning a Heisman as a freshman before he played a snap?

Odds of being a starter at 6' ft tall?

Odds of setting multiple SEC/NCAA records as a freshman? As a sophomore?
So you are avoiding answering the question directly but still answering. You believe in your guy. Good for you. We believe in ours. Who really cares about odds? You don't, obviously, so why should we?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #71
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Some decent (Newton, RG3 and Bradford) but look at Leinart, Smith, and Tebow yeah not so much. Although Timmy T did have a decent season with the Broncos, he just never could find a home once they brought in Peyton.

I think JFF will do fine in the NFL, but he for sure needs some work to get there.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #72
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think Sam Bradford is probably a lot more frustrated than Connor right now.
Yeah, but that big pile of cash he is sitting on will ease his mind.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #73
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, but that big pile of cash he is sitting on will ease his mind.
yep, but he won't earn a dime this year......players are paid weekly during the season....
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #74
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Quote:
The thread is not about Shaw beating out Manzel. It's about allowing Shaw the opportunity to display his talents since Manzel and Hoyer have both played poorly. Shaw may very well fall on his face and stink it up in the NFL, but he should have the opportunity to prove his self.
Typically the last preseason game the 3rd stringers get more playing time which I would expect Shaw to do so. I don't think they are going to keep Shaw but they will give him the opportunity to display his skills. He'll get at least one more shot if not several with another team(s)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #75
darrena
Walk On

Male

darrena has feathers coming indarrena has feathers coming in

Quote:
yep, but he won't earn a dime this year......players are paid weekly during the season....
I am pretty sure they still get paid as long as they are on the roster regardless of injury or playing time. If I recall properly even players on the PUP list are paid but do not accrue time to milestones (Pensions, years towards minimums etc..).
darrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #76
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Quote:
So you are avoiding answering the question directly but still answering. You believe in your guy. Good for you. We believe in ours. Who really cares about odds? You don't, obviously, so why should we?
What I was getting at is there are several different "odds" you can throw out to prove both sides. Time will tell. As far as odds go (Manziel) I like his chances
Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #77
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
It depends. Players on injured reserve may receive a salary. In some cases its their full salary (if its guaranteed in their contract) and in others in may be reduced. In some cases they may not receive a salary.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #78
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudly

Bed Sores, we're not crazy, we're fans of our school, & alumni.. Just like y'all.. Shaw was a winning, endearing, humble player on & off the field.. Manziel is a helluva QB, but his on/off field antics have caused a Lotta skepticism in terms of his decision making, character, which almost always translates to succes, or lack there of, nothing against aTm. Just perception, & sometimes perception is reality.
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #79
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
It depends. Players on injured reserve may receive a salary. In some cases its their full salary (if its guaranteed in their contract) and in others in may be reduced. In some cases they may not receive a salary.
very few players have guaranteed contracts....most players can be cut at any time and not earn anything after they have been cut.....I think you're right about IR....
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #80
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
What string was Shaw going up against when he came in for that 1 or 2 series? Lots of guys look solid in preseason play. Heck they were saying that the ex Mizzu DE (gay) wouldn't make the team and this was after his sack on Johnny last night.

You cant come up with a conclusion based on a few series in a preseason game. The QBs have been watched closely through all the practices and drills to include preseason games

My prediction is that Johnny will be the starter going into week 5.

Best of luck to Shaw. He seems like a good guy
You are a doosh troll and you know nothing about NFL football. How much of a drop off between first and third string NFL talent do you really think there is?

Now consider the drop off in talent between the best NCAA teams and any string NFL talent

You're a fanboy. BTW, the Browns are going to suck horribly, enjoy fapping to JF incompletions all year
spareparts is online now   Reply With Quote