CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
johnnyb
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
markp_vip
QCB
taylorssc
ChickenButt
Gamecocks321
l^l^lBGCock
NAGamecockFan
No Comments on the H (1365)
Call of Duty: Advanc (433)
Freshman ND WR " (430)
Keeping tailgate foo (232)
Good Riddance to bad (228)
Vote For Cocky (204)
Things They Should H (196)
An A to Z of Noah We (119)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (25)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (11)
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
NCAAF: VANDERBILT @ MISSO
So Disappointed With The
NCAAF: SYRACUSE @ CLEMSON
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI @ LSU
NCAAF: ALABAMA @ TENNESSE
NCAAF: OHIO STATE @ PENN
Ranking the SEC Football
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL @ UTA
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A

Old 08-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #101
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit
Default Re: Really excited to visit the other Columbia!

I haven't been back in years. What's the Man Vs. Food epic restaurant that has something you can only get there and is a staple?
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #102
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster View Post
I haven't been back in years. What's the Man Vs. Food epic restaurant that has something you can only get there and is a staple?
Has man v food been to Cola?
Old 08-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #103
rabid cock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 300
rabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Here are my restaurant recommendations:

Sushi: Camon or Saki Tumi
Asian Fusion: M Vista or M Grille
Seafood: Blue Marlin
Korean: Blue Cactus or O-Bok
Vietnamese: Golden Chopstix
Thai: Baan Sawan
Burgers and fries: Yesterday's
Continental/French influenced: Hampton Street Vineyard
Vegan/Raw Foods: Good Life Cafe
Italian: Villa Tronco or Divino
Syrian: Al Amir
Greek: Devine Foods (hole in the wall, but good)
Cajun: Bourbon
Eclectic: Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Tapas: Gervais and Vine
Desert: Nonnah's
Lunch: The Gourmet Shop, Crepes and Croissants, DiPrato's
There's nothing wrong with the burger, wing, "junk food" crowd and all their marvelous suggestions, but I like this list the best.

I'll have the squab and foie gras, please.....
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #104
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Has man v food been to Cola?
I don't think so. I just meant a restaurant that's an institution. Like in Athens there's Mama's Boy and Weaver D's.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #105
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't think so. I just meant a restaurant that's an institution. Like in Athens there's Mama's Boy and Weaver D's.

Zestos under the giant cone would be the closest I guess. Been around for a long time, distinctive, still a local favorite. Pawleys has it's fans from being on ddd, but it's relatively new. I can't say there is any one place that Columbia would be "known for".
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #106
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Zestos under the giant cone would be the closest I guess. Been around for a long time, distinctive, still a local favorite. Pawleys has it's fans from being on ddd, but it's relatively new. I can't say there is any one place that Columbia would be "known for".
I'd say Villa Tronco, Motor Supply, Yesterdays...
Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 AM   #107
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

What place has the best pizza in SC?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #108
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
My recommendation is that you forget about iconic places to eat in Columbia and plan to spend the vast majority of your eating out budget in Charleston.
^This.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #109
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
What place has the best pizza in SC?

I wouldn't say anywhere is that spectacular. Dano's is about it for decent pizza not from a chain. Mellow mushroom is good, but it's a chain, so not really a Columbia thing.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #110
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
I wouldn't say anywhere is that spectacular. Dano's is about it for decent pizza not from a chain. Mellow mushroom is good, but it's a chain, so not really a Columbia thing.
Thirsty Fellow man. Thirsty Fellow.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #111
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
We are jumping in the family truckster and headed to Folly Beach for a family vacation in September. My wife and I planned it to coincide with the Mizzou-South Carolina game this year and I am so excited to get to see your campus and stadium. When we first joined the SEC, this was number one on my list. I have always been impressed with your team so I'm excited to finally get to visit.

In fact, there are a lot of Mizzou fans that feel the same way I do. There was an immediate respect and connection about the Gamecocks for some reason, I can't explain it. But if there's another team I root for in the SEC, it's you guys. Again, not exactly sure why but I just like your fans, your team, and especially your coach.

So, I just wanted to jump on here and get a few pointers for that weekend. I will have my wife and four young kids with me (11, 9, 5 and 5) so we can't get too crazy. But I would like to drive up on Friday and tour the campus and hit some good local spots to eat. Suggestions? I'm sure Saturday will be a madhouse so that's why I thought it would be good to see your Columbia on Friday instead.

On Saturday, where do we park and how can I see those cool rail cars?!?!?!

Also, unrelated to the game, but this is our first east coast trip and we've heard nothing but great things about Folly Beach. How will the weather be in late September?

Thanks, and good luck this season!
Columbia doesn't really have a "must eat" place. But Yesterday's is good...and it's where Todd Blackledge went for his Taste of the Town when they were in Columbia.

While Columbia doesn't have a particular restaurant that's a can't-miss, it does have a can't-miss food: BBQ. You ain't had good Q until you have some SC mustard-based. And hash...can't miss the hash.

Now, if you want a REAL discussion, ask people for the best BBQ joint in Columbia. My personal favorite was always Sikes in Eastover on Garner's Ferry Rd. Last I heard though it was closed...maybe not though.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #112
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Village Idiot perhaps?
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #113
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Village Idiot perhaps?
Tazza Kitchen is killing it right now. Real brick oven pizza. It's more "gourmet" but wow is it worth it.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #114
JeffW
Recruit

Male

JeffW has feathers coming inJeffW has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
See what I mean by epidemic? Even good spellers can get caught up in this, once the ball starts rolling.

Village Idiot is my fav, as long as you like New York style.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #115
MU Mike
Walk On

Male

MU Mike has feathers coming inMU Mike has feathers coming in

Well, my wife dropped the ball on tickets and now our school allotment is sold out.

Am I better off buying on stubhub now or trying to buy tickets outside the stadium on gameday from someone?

Thanks for the help.
MU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #116
JeffW
Recruit

Male

JeffW has feathers coming inJeffW has feathers coming in

Village Idiot is my fav pizza too.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #117
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
Well, my wife dropped the ball on tickets and now our school allotment is sold out.

Am I better off buying on stubhub now or trying to buy tickets outside the stadium on gameday from someone?

Thanks for the help.
Buy outside. It will not be an issue. Try to get tickets in the south endzone, east lower or east upper to get near the Mizzou fans.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #118
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Charleston is more for the grown-ups than, say, Myrtle Beach.

You can check out the SC Aquarium down there or go to the Patriots Point Museum over in Mt. Pleasant.

The Isle of Palms is a little more laid back on the Mt. Pleasant side of the bridge. It's not as commercial as some other beaches if you prefer that.

You can follow the Mt. Pleasant waterfront streets out to a walking trail that has a good view of the Ravenel Bridge.

Make sure you take at least one tour of The Battery to get a good look at the historic homes and gardens.

In Columbia, the Harbison area is near I-26 and has a lot of touristy things all close together. The Columbiana Mall has some nice SC clothing kiosks and stores and there are plenty of nice restaurants all around. There are also two different multi-screen theaters nearby.

Frankie's Fun Park is across the interstate and has lots of stuff for the kids to do if you need to be on a budget.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #119
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 1080
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons

[quote=highpockets12;4228862]You mention you were taking little ones to Folly Beach, BEWARE ! KEEP CLOSE WATCH ON YOUR KIDS Folly Beach has a bad undertow and can be rough on adults much less little ones. You should be fine just use caution.QUOTE]

This is really good advice! HEED IT. On a few days before and after Full/New moons, tide levels are higher and undertows/rips are stronger. New moon is on Sept.24th. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKb5Ny4OWk
Also, the Cockaboose are on the south-southeast part of stadium(endzone with upper deck)
Enjoy your stay

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #120
MU Mike
Walk On

Male

MU Mike has feathers coming inMU Mike has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Buy outside. It will not be an issue. Try to get tickets in the south endzone, east lower or east upper to get near the Mizzou fans.
That's what I was hoping to hear, although with six of us (wife and I and four kids), we may have to split up 3 and 3. Might be hard to find six together.

Any certain place around the stadium where the sellers hang out?
MU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote