CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Polls (3271)
Gameday in Columbia (2887)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2500)
Clem5on fans are bes (1562)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1447)
Why Weren't We Bette (1404)
SEC East Race as of (1145)
ST coach fired this (1026)
Let's talk about Mat (938)
Hardest Schedule (937)
D line pressure
ST coach fired this week
Why Weren't We Better Pre
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Gameday in Columbia
Clem5on fans are beside t
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Polls
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
James Thompson - 6'9"

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #41
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Start lineup announced for Thursday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
I'm very confused about their names

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just use Dixon44 and Dixon Jr.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #42
ScottK
Blue Chip

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I'm not confused as much about who is who, but more about how it's possible to have two sons and one of them has your exact name and the other has your name + Jr.

ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

We need "this is my brother Gerald, and my other brother Gerald" shirts. GO Al Harris Jr.!!!! I'm pumped to see this kid turn into a badass.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #44
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

From the perspective of a fan I am glad for Dixon Jr and Dixon having worked hard and long and won the starts.

From the perspective of a football observer I am concerned, even potentially disappointed in Lamin and Griffin. Some have noted an expectation that sooner or later one, the other or both will start, maybe so. Last yr we had players recognized as high caliber who manned those spots out of the gate and the Dixons gave solid reserve level play.

Saw indications and had hope that Lamin (Sde) and Griffin (dt) had upside to be Quarles/Sutton (one can note he didn't live up to said expectation.. foot??) level impact talents. If indeed L and G are impact talents typically those level guys start once beyond the freshman season and incumbants move on. Much hope this is a result of how much the Dixons have improved or we do see the anticipated Lamin/Griffin version later as opposed to having to start the best of solid reserve talents.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #45
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
I'm not confused as much about who is who, but more about how it's possible to have two sons and one of them has your exact name and the other has your name + Jr.

George Forman has like 6 kids named George Forman, even the girls.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #46
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Don't worry, Lamin, Griffin, Dukes, Johnson, etc will all play plenty. We'll rotate up to 10-12 D linemen. And 8-9 at LB/spur

People always get too caught up in "starters". It doesn't really matter except the OL and QB.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #47
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I like those too. You just need to remember that Junior (323) is the DT and bigger player. Kind of a backwards from intuitive thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
From the perspective of a fan I am glad for Dixon Jr and Dixon having worked hard and long and won the starts.

From the perspective of a football observer I am concerned, even potentially disappointed in Lamin and Griffin. Some have noted an expectation that sooner or later one, the other or both will start, maybe so. Last yr we had players recognized as high caliber who manned those spots out of the gate and the Dixons gave solid reserve level play.

Saw indications and had hope that Lamin (Sde) and Griffin (dt) had upside to be Quarles/Sutton (one can note he didn't live up to said expectation.. foot??) level impact talents. If indeed L and G are impact talents typically those level guys start once beyond the freshman season and incumbants move on. Much hope this is a result of how much the Dixons have improved or we do see the anticipated Lamin/Griffin version later as opposed to having to start the best of solid reserve talents.
I am less concerned than you about it. You want a rotation of three good tackles. Not sure how much to read into the depth chart in terms of who is better than whom.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #48
jgh35
Walk On

Male

jgh35 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
This is the true Defensive depth chart. 4-2-5 is our base. For the 3-4 just take out at DE and add the BOB(BAW, Bryant, Cooper).

This will primarily be used in passing situations.
Which DE? Are we sure that will be the lineup? With the 3-4 you run 3 down linemen. In a true 3-4, these are 3 DTs and your OLBs are somewhat hybrid players, ie Jadeveon Clowney with Houston at OLB. Also, if Ward means what he says and we run this 60% of the time it won't be just in passing situations.

What I'm really wondering is are we really running a true 3-4, or are we running what Georgia ran the last couple of years that they called a 3-4 but was essentially a 4-3 with one end line up in a 2 point stance.
jgh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #49
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Has Rico lost a step since his injury, or is al Harris jr that good? I've seen Rico practice and there was a lot of hype around him last year
Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #50
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:

Surratt and Dixon Jr have the most experience of the DT's and were the expected starters. Would you have been "disappointed" in them if Lamin and Griffin were starting? All will play. I wouldn't get hung up on who's starting and who's not.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #51
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
Has Rico lost a step since his injury, or is al Harris jr that good? I've seen Rico practice and there was a lot of hype around him last year
Someone had to be named the starter and it sounds like Harris earned it but Rico will see the field too. They will rotate according to Whammy.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #52
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:

The Dixons don't offer much explosiveness or big play potential, but they are grimy for all 4 quarters. They. Just. Make. Tackles. They were made to be in the middle and take a beating, just to get back up and ask for more. Old school football at its finest.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #53
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Griffin is the youngest DT. He's got to wait his turn. All these guys are on about the same level. Not much drop off between the 6 of them.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #54
Harry Cock
Recruit

Male

Harry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
George Forman has like 6 kids named George Forman, even the girls.
his daughters named georgette
Harry Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #55
Harry Cock
Recruit

Male

Harry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his claws

the rock hill area is pumping out top notch footballers. its ridiculous...
Harry Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #56
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Called the Golightly start! Glad to see it all come together for him.
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #57
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cock View Post
his daughters named georgette
true, by my alphabet George + tte = name :)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #58
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cock View Post
Called the Golightly start! Glad to see it all come together for him.
Wasn't he the starter last year? Plus, we are not playing a smash-mouth running team like FL or Georgia. Good job though.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #59
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
Surratt and Dixon Jr have the most experience of the DT's and were the expected starters. Would you have been "disappointed" in them if Lamin and Griffin were starting? All will play. I wouldn't get hung up on who's starting and who's not.
No I wouldn't be. From an observer perspective the potential for "disappointment" is in awareness of the Lamin and Griffin recognized upside. Usually once such a high cealing has been reached it results in said players performing best in practice and said performance being recognized via the start designation. But maybe not always. One poster well stated ..despite lacking explosiveness etc the Dixons are tough, big, durable, which in itself carries value.
Yazoo, amoust others, noted such as... given, for the first time, likely we employ a near even split between two base Ds. Each is likely better suited for differening personell + the typical rotations indicate the designation of starter may not represent who plays more or better.
I want the advantages of a deep group of servicable players. Maybe prefer it to a top heavy lineup lacking depth. but the fan in me is greedy. What I really want is a hearty dose of both. We can hope.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #60
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Wasn't he the starter last year? Plus, we are not playing a smash-mouth running team like FL or Georgia. Good job though.
I don't recall him starting but could be wrong.
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote