CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
Team Garcia
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (26967)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2042)
Simple "yes&quo (1437)
Phil Steele just pre (1171)
Eat Crow (738)
Garcia: Change the R (724)
TeMarcus Blanton (688)
We actually didnt lo (628)
Extremely Proud (554)
what I think ab ward (486)
We would be 7-1 with just
what I think ab ward
We actually didnt lose
I want people to explain
Defense question
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
We Need To Go For It On 4
End of the first half....
Eat Crow
Nick Marshall

Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #81
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Connor Shaw the most frustrated player in the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bed Sores View Post
After reading this thread in its entirety I have reminded myself that online message boards have overzealous fans.

Some of you sound borderline crazy
There's a solution
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #82
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Johnny is a ticking time bomb. The media is just waiting to rip him apart. He will eventually fall & fall hard, just wait on it.
All it takes is 1 long Saturday night and a hard hit on the head after aiming for the swan and hitting the pool deck instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
If Alabama was such a good team, why did they lose 2 games in 2013?
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I am not saying that Connor Shaw is great, or even good.

I am saying is your statement is idiotic just based on NFL history.

Drafting players is based more on hype and physical measurements more than any other factors (like game film, work ethic and character).

Fact: there are more Hall of Famers who were undrafted free agents than there are #1 picks.

Josh Cribbs went undrafted.

Jeff Garcia went undrafted.

Wayne Chrebet went undrafted.

Donnie Shell went undrafted.

Tony Romo went undrafted.

Larry Little went undrafted.

Jeff Saturday went undrafted.

Rod Smith went undrafted.

London Fletcher went undrafted.

Priest Holmes went undrafted.

Adam Vinateri went undrafted.

Willie Brown went undrafted.

Arian Foster went undrafted.

Brian Waters went undrafted.

Marion Motley went undrafted.

Wes Welker went undrafted.

Emlen Tunnell went undrafted.

Joe Perry went undrafted.

James Harrison went undrafted.

John Randle went undrafted.

Antonio Gates went undrafted.

Lou Groza went undrafted.

Warren Moon went undrafted.

Night Train Lane went undrafted.

Kurt Warner went undrafted.

Victor Cruz went undrafted.

Joe Jacoby went undrafted.

Willie Hood went undrafted.

Miles Austin went undrafted.

The list goes on and on.
Boom GH gets it!

<<< We need one of those that says Go Connor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
If SC is such a great team why did they not beat the crappy VOLS last year.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

Last edited by johnnyb; 08-25-2014 at 06:06 AM.
CockyLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #83
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
All it takes is 1 long Saturday night and a hard hit on the head after aiming for the swan and hitting the pool deck instead.

I must say I L'ed OL
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #84
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Just ribbing you guys. I hope Shaw does well. He seems like a good guy with a level head on his shoulders and will have a great future without football because of that alone.
Thanks for your All Mighty approval I was worried Connor didn't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
That must be why they have been so awesome always.
Great Point!

Quote:
After reading this thread in its entirety I have reminded myself that online message boards have overzealous fans.

Some of you sound borderline crazy
Thank you good sir! Nicest thing an Aggie has said to me in weeks.

Quote:
Didn't say that. What some of you seem to fail to realize is this. Hoyer is the ONLY one of the 3 that have actual NFL game experience. There was no way in hell that the Brows would place him outside of the 2 deep.

With that said it then boils down to Manziel and Shaw. Between money invested in Manziel, college film, practice and combine results. Yall are crazy to think Shaw is going to beat out Manziel for the #2 spot. As I said before, I predict Manziel will be the starter going into week 5
Yeah but do you think that little johnny even wants to be in tosu land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think Sam Bradford is probably a lot more frustrated than Connor right now.
^this

Thread should maybe read that The Gamecock Fanbase is the most frustrated Fan base because of Connor Shaw's current NFL treatment?

Quote:
What I was getting at is there are several different "odds" you can throw out to prove both sides. Time will tell. As far as odds go (Manziel) I like his chances
As far as odds go Connor is better regardless whether he leads the browns to the super bowl. We all know the only way little johnny will do that.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

Last edited by johnnyb; 08-25-2014 at 06:05 AM.
CockyLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #85
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
If SC is such a great team why did they not beat the crappy VOLS last year.
Because Coach Spurrier had a momentary lapse in coaching judgement. It happens to everyone occasionally. Bad bounces, bad decisions, wrong place, wrong time. If we had played UT ten more times in a row we'd have won all ten.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #86
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
What was Johnny's odds of winning a Heisman as a freshman before he played a snap?

Odds of being a starter at 6' ft tall?

Odds of setting multiple SEC/NCAA records as a freshman? As a sophomore?
Too bad he wasn't a freshman Heisman winner. He had been on campus for 18 months before starting, so really he was closer to a junior than a freshman. Looking at it factually it isn't surprising to see a junior and senior do big things. College QBs being 6 foot isn't uncommon in the spread era, hell there are like 3-5 6' footers starting in the NFL.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #87
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
You're right....not definitively. But I can point out numerous instances when even a Heisman winner did not translate to a successful NFL career. (Can you say Tim Tebow?) Successful college players don't always make it in the NFL, while good and often overlooked players often have whatever attributes are necessary to succeed at that higher level. Perhaps (not definitely) Shaw has those attributes.
What is it with people on message boards? Can nobody read??? Nobody is saying Connor is definitively better than Manziel or that Connor should be the starter. The sentiment is simply that Shaw's performance made him deserving of getting a few more snaps in preseason games.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #88
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
If Shaw was so great, why did none of the 32 NFL teams draft him?
I guess that means Tom Brady isn't great, because he was drafted in the 6th round and every team passed on him several times.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #89
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

its all business
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #90
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Didn't say that. What some of you seem to fail to realize is this. Hoyer is the ONLY one of the 3 that have actual NFL game experience. There was no way in hell that the Brows would place him outside of the 2 deep.

With that said it then boils down to Manziel and Shaw. Between money invested in Manziel, college film, practice and combine results. Yall are crazy to think Shaw is going to beat out Manziel for the #2 spot. As I said before, I predict Manziel will be the starter going into week 5
Just thought it should be pointed out - Hoyer was undrafted.

So why is it crazy to think Shaw can beat out Manziel. There is no doubt Shaw is more mature than Manziel. I think he makes better decisions too. Stats were pretty comparable in college (Manziel wasn't that much better and played in a much more stat friendly system). It's not impossible to think Shaw, an undrafted QB, could beat out Manziel. After all, Hoyer is the starting QB as an undrafted QB.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #91
Sgt Vegas
Walk On

Male

Sgt Vegas has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
I have said numerous times on this board that I like Shaw and I think he deserves a chance, but to say he is better than JFF, that is a huge stretch. He got his shot and did very well, hopefully he gets one elsewhere too.

JFF is the next Tim Tebow. A lot of hype that will never live up to it and that is it. Can't wait to see a blitzing DB or DE absolutely light him up.
Sgt Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #92
Sgt Vegas
Walk On

Male

Sgt Vegas has hatched from the shell

OH wait.... Michael Sam already took care of that. more to come.
Sgt Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #93
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Just thought it should be pointed out - Hoyer was undrafted.

So why is it crazy to think Shaw can beat out Manziel. There is no doubt Shaw is more mature than Manziel. I think he makes better decisions too. Stats were pretty comparable in college (Manziel wasn't that much better and played in a much more stat friendly system). It's not impossible to think Shaw, an undrafted QB, could beat out Manziel. After all, Hoyer is the starting QB as an undrafted QB.
Hoyer also got the start after a 30 year old 2nd year player got knocked out of the game. Completely different scenario.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #94
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Vegas View Post
OH wait.... Michael Sam already took care of that. more to come.
https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/4DF7A...bSJ4ZHUaYGLWfm

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #95
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

No, Sam Bradford is.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #96
mako
Recruit

mako is sharpening his clawsmako is sharpening his clawsmako is sharpening his clawsmako is sharpening his claws

Connor didn't get waived today! That is a good sign.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #97
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Johnny "Ryan Leaf" Manziel will be out of the league within 3 years.
I lived in San Diego in the 1990s and was a diehard Bolts fan back then and for many years after. Like most Bolts fans, I have purposely buried Leaf's memory to avoid a PTSD relapse.

Ryan Leaf was drafted by the Chargers in 1998 to keep them competitive after Stan Humphries retired in 1997. No one saw Leaf's issues coming, not even Bobby Beathard, the same guy who had helped assemble Joe Gibbs' Redskin teams.

Stan Humphries was drafted by the Redskins, but from Northeast Louisiana University, a division 1-AA school. To this day he is the only QB to ever take the Chargers to the Super Bowl. I was there for the 1992 season and it was a thing to behold. So was the 1994 Super Bowl run. RIP Junior Seau.

Humphries' story is a perfect example of how it's not important how you get to the NFL, but what you do once you get there and learn the ropes.

Jerry Rice was drafted from Mississippi Valley State, also another NCAA powerhouse.

Manziel may not go down the same road as Leaf from a behavior standpoint. However, you hear comments like "we will have to build a playbook around him" that will be problematic down the road. That's the same thing they said about Tebow.

A team won't have to build a playbook around Shaw once he gets ahead of the curve.

Clutch is what Shaw is used to and clutch is when he delivers.

Last edited by kingofnerf; 08-25-2014 at 09:04 PM.
kingofnerf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #98
gamecox3
Architect ya lifestyle

Male

CockyCash: 405
gamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudly

I think the comparison between Shaw and Manziel is a fair one. Physically speaking they are very much the same. Manziel is more agile. Shaw has a quicker first step. Their arms are the same. Same size, and same straight line speed. Shaw has proven himself to be cautious, and some would say too cautious at times. Manziel has a more attacking style of play than Shaw. These TexasA&M fans on here acting like it is some sort of mortal sin to compare the two players need to pause and look at the situation more rationally. Both players are currently on the Browns, so arguing over who got drafted where is pointless. Manziel is going to get his chance first, but eventually the best player will rise to the top.

With that said, I am excited to see how this plays out. Shaw is comfortable sitting back, checking down, and not losing games. Manziel is going to sling it around, make big plays, and have some costly turnovers. The Shanahan boy's offense is geared around quarterbacks who can run around a little bit, so, after a year of Hoyer, I'm willing to bet there is a fierce battle between Manziel and Shaw.

Sidenote: Does anyone else think that little wrist tattoo the Manziel sports is the lamest thing ever. I enjoy watching Manziel play, so this does not come from a place of hate, but Drake has turned Manziel out. Drake owns him.
"C'mon man. This is god given. The only thing I gotta do is show up." - Boobie Wilds #22
gamecox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #99
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox3 View Post
I think the comparison between Shaw and Manziel is a fair one. Physically speaking they are very much the same. Manziel is more agile. Shaw has a quicker first step. Their arms are the same. Same size, and same straight line speed. Shaw has proven himself to be cautious, and some would say too cautious at times. Manziel has a more attacking style of play than Shaw. These TexasA&M fans on here acting like it is some sort of mortal sin to compare the two players need to pause and look at the situation more rationally. Both players are currently on the Browns, so arguing over who got drafted where is pointless. Manziel is going to get his chance first, but eventually the best player will rise to the top.

With that said, I am excited to see how this plays out. Shaw is comfortable sitting back, checking down, and not losing games. Manziel is going to sling it around, make big plays, and have some costly turnovers. The Shanahan boy's offense is geared around quarterbacks who can run around a little bit, so, after a year of Hoyer, I'm willing to bet there is a fierce battle between Manziel and Shaw.

Sidenote: Does anyone else think that little wrist tattoo the Manziel sports is the lamest thing ever. I enjoy watching Manziel play, so this does not come from a place of hate, but Drake has turned Manziel out. Drake owns him.
Manziel has a much stronger arm than Shaw. You can see it in the Alabama game last year when he hit Mike Evans on that long bomb.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #100
JulesWinnfield90
Walk On

Male

JulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
Either Pettine is the worst coach in the NFL or he just hates Connor Shaw. It had to be torture for Shaw to simply sit on the sidelines last night while Hoyer stunk it up for the whole first half. Johnny played better than he did last time out, but still never looked as crisp as Shaw did.

It's clear the Browns have no intention of even giving Shaw the closer look he earned the other night so I hope they do the right thing and let him go so he can catch on with another team.

this post is a joke right? right???
JulesWinnfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote