CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
eightohhthree
Acockolypse Now
Cockypantherfan
MWard
gadeneer1986
Winston (4842)
ESPN reporter adding (2934)
SOS: No QB controve (2028)
Just read this. (1195)
How we won the UGA g (1144)
In light of our matc (1133)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (1099)
If we keep winning a (640)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Neat statistic bruhh (535)
Waldrop injured
2014-15 Premier League se
How we won the UGA game:
uniforms saturday
Football Playoff
Winston
SOS: No QB controversy
Christian Walker called u
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
If this doesn't give you

Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: Some thoughts about our team heading into the season

My concerns for the season - pass rush, CBs, 3-4 defense, Dylan Thompson, OL.

Pass rush - We really need some guys to step up and get some pressure on QBs. With so many new QBs this year, we need to force guys to scramble and make mistakes with a young secondary. I'll say this for our DEs like I will every position - we have talent. It just needs to develop and show.

CBs - they are young but talented. Our depth consists of freshman so it's nice to play them this season with a lot of new QBs in the SEC. They are highly touted but they will need to play well.

3-4 defense - It does concern me. I hope the guys adjust well and our strength at LB really shows up. I believe in our team and coaches but I just want to see it play out on the field.

Dylan Thompson - He has been hyped as a great 5th year senior. I love the guy, his leadership, and his talents. I just want to see him improve on the 55% completion percentage and make good decisions (a la Shaw).

OL - I hope they live up to the hype and stay injury free. If they can open up holes, dominate the line, and protect the QB, we will have the best offense we've had in years. However, I still see some room for improvement from last year.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Cool post, but how are you gonna talk in depth about the RBs and not mention Brandon Wilds? The dude has never gotten any praise, but deserves so much.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #23
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

this team will not resemble the style of play we have gotten use to the last few years on offense or defense... same goals(i.e ball control, win turnover margin, time of possession, quick/short possessions by opposing offenses,) but different schemes to get those same results
Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #24
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I think our team this year will definitely be different, almost in nature. I believe much of that difference is reflected in C2's post. I think our quality on defense, both at DL and at LB will be by depth, not stardom. I think we will be substituting more on both sides of the ball than previously. I think the 3-4 option will be used to adjust to different opponents' strengths and to get more players into the mix. I think on offense, we will use more short passing, and will spread our running plays (and TB passes) among 2 backs primarily, but see 4 get significant carries, not only mop-up shots. We may see more man coverage with pressure early unless our younger CB's learn the zone coverage schemes very quickly. I think we will see our QB and DB targeted at least the first few games. I think teams will stack the line early on until we show we can beat it.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Nice job C2!

I agree with everything. I hope we get a surprise or two rushing the passer this year. I was hoping in the offseason that Washington was going to be that surprise but alas, he is hurt again.

The corners are going to get tested against A&M early and often on the screens. Hope they make some plays.

I found Harris' strategy!
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #26
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercocks- Ho! View Post

I found Harris' strategy!

Hey whatever works.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #27
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

nice read. i can't really find anything to disagree with. you are mostly spot on. although i might have just a little bit more confidence in our question marks. while i totally understand your reluctance to show confidence in our untested de's and corners, i truly feel confidence in them. i think al harris jr. is so well schooled that he will surprise a lot of people this season. will he make mistakes, of course he will. but i think his playmaking abilities will surpass his youth and propensity to look like a freshmen. the same can be said for the de's. i think dixon is going to really be better than sutton was last year, and english will only continue to get better and better as he plays, and gains experience. actually if you asked me what my biggest concern or question mark is, i would say it's adams. not trying to be negative, but i am still not sold on him as our dl coach. he can recruit. no question. but i still believe our dl underachieved last season. i hope i am wrong, but with all the talent we have on this line, we will definitely know by october.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #28
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the more i think about the secondary i feel good about what they will do this season. going more off of what covertwo had to say about the defense as a whole, we'll have to see how we tackle in space, but im confident. finding guys who can get pressure one on one whether thats on the outside or in the qb's face from the dt position which is invaluable and dialing up the right blitzes at the right times from a defensive perspective is likely the difference from us being a top 5 team and potentially sec champs or just a good team.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #29
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
My concerns for the season - pass rush, CBs, 3-4 defense, Dylan Thompson, OL.

Pass rush - We really need some guys to step up and get some pressure on QBs. With so many new QBs this year, we need to force guys to scramble and make mistakes with a young secondary. I'll say this for our DEs like I will every position - we have talent. It just needs to develop and show.

CBs - they are young but talented. Our depth consists of freshman so it's nice to play them this season with a lot of new QBs in the SEC. They are highly touted but they will need to play well.

3-4 defense - It does concern me. I hope the guys adjust well and our strength at LB really shows up. I believe in our team and coaches but I just want to see it play out on the field.

Dylan Thompson - He has been hyped as a great 5th year senior. I love the guy, his leadership, and his talents. I just want to see him improve on the 55% completion percentage and make good decisions (a la Shaw).

OL - I hope they live up to the hype and stay injury free. If they can open up holes, dominate the line, and protect the QB, we will have the best offense we've had in years. However, I still see some room for improvement from last year.
I went back to read this thread and just realized my concerns were spot on with every one of these. The only one of these that didn't completely suck was Dylan Thompson and yet his completion percentage was even worse in this game than for his career.

My concerns over these things are actually worse now.