CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
easymoney
roosterdude21
pitchcock
ZenUSC
LegalCock
Wilds & Carson B (1917)
Marquavius Lewis (1828)
So, why is next year (1522)
How Long Will The Re (1046)
Restaurant musts in (832)
Why do so many of yo (643)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (534)
Shot in the arm for (503)
'Lord of the Rings: (203)
Custom Jersey (202)
The Vent and Coaching cha
Wilds & Carson Back f
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
does anybody think we wil
How Long Will The Rebuild
Abu Bowl Ready
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
2015 Signee - Ulric Jones
2015 Early Enrollees Thre
Previewing Clemson

Old 08-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default video card installation help

I am trying to install my new video card and I'm having problems. I got it in, but they put the power supply inlets on the opposite side of the Motherboard and they are in an configuration of two plugs, one with 8 pins and the other with 6 pins. My previous setup was 6 pins and 6 pins. Instructions are very vague. They just say plug in the power and make sure they auxiliary power is plugged in as well. So what I did is used the adapter that came with the card to plug the two 6-pins into the 8- pin inlet and left the other 6-pin inlet empty. When I turned the power on, a green light on the card by where the 8 pins was plugged in came on but a red light was by the empty 6-pin inlet also came on. The monitor said no signal and the driver disc never started.

I shut down and restarted the computer with the HDMI plugged into integrated card on the motherboard to install the drivers for the new card. Windows came up on the screen. And I couldn't see where the card was recognized by the computer under device manager. I tried to run the installation disc and it said, "please install ASUS VGA card." I double-checked to make sure the card was securely installed. It was. I saw a few more power cords tucked away. One is an 8-pin but it won't reach, none will reach without an extension, and I only have the adapter that came with the card.

So here is my question: Should I continue plugging the two 6-pins into the 8-pin inlet with the adapter, and hunt down an adapter for an 8-pin to a 6-pin? Or should I just get two extensions, one for a 6-pin and one for an 8 pin? Or what?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: video card installation help

Main power should be coming from the slot itself. You most likely would only need one auxiliary source. What card is it and what mobo?

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Video Card: ASUS Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II TOP
Motherboard: Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
ut_vols13
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
ut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spurs

Your motherboard and GPU are compatible. How big is your power supply? That GPU will draw some watts under load. I would just get extensions, they are cheap.
ut_vols13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

You should have a wire with a 2 pin plug on it. This goes along with one of the 6pin connectors to fit in the 8 pin slot. Then the other 6 pin connector just goes into the other 6 pin slot.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

This may help.

Order Of The Spur
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Main power should be coming from the slot itself. You most likely would only need one auxiliary source. What card is it and what mobo?
I don't know, this thing is a monster. It's like 11 inches long and about twice as heavy as my last video card. It probably needs all the power it can get.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
You should have a wire with a 2 pin plug on it. This goes along with one of the 6pin connectors to fit in the 8 pin slot. Then the other 6 pin connector just goes into the other 6 pin slot.
nothing reaches though. I have an 8 pin plug and 2 6 pin plugs. Why can't I just use the 8 pin and one of the 6 pins if I get extensions? Even the 2-pin would need and extension. I'd have to take the entire machine apart to redo the harness to get it to reach.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
Your motherboard and GPU are compatible. How big is your power supply? That GPU will draw some watts under load. I would just get extensions, they are cheap.
It's 500W. Supposedly it's just barely enough since I am not going to overclock. Alright, I am going to head over to Radio Shack to get the extensions. I think that has the be the problem because the fans are not spinning on the card so it must need both those plugged.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
ut_vols13
Walk On

Male

ut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spursut_vols13 has earned his spurs

You will need at least a 500w power supply. Nice GPU by the way you will love it once you get it going. Are you overclocking your machine?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
ut_vols13
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It's 500W. Supposedly it's just barely enough since I am not going to overclock. Alright, I am going to head over to Radio Shack to get the extensions. I think that has the be the problem because the fans are not spinning on the card so it must need both those plugged.

Yes, both MUST be plugged into the PSU.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
ut_vols13
Walk On

Male

One more thing, a 550w power supply is recommended for this GPU. Let us know how thing work out when you get extensions.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
You will need at least a 500w power supply. Nice GPU by the way you will love it once you get it going. Are you overclocking your machine?
ultimatetailgater recommended it. Thanks again to him for finding me a good bargain. I have it up and it seems to be working well. Everything is staying cool and smooth. I haven't played and games yet though. The guy at the PC shop was really cool. I just needed one extension and he didn't even charge me. I guess it was too cheap and he had plenty of them. His name is Stephen at Florence PC located on Second Loop Road for those in the Florence area. It's next to Tubbs Restaurant, across from the Goodwill.

I hopefully the 50w difference won't be a problem. I am not planning on overclocking anything. My CPU has turbo boost so it should not need to be overclocked. This GPU is already overclocked by the manufacturer. It comes with a tweak program and I am even thinking about underclocking it a little. Hopefully when my cpu goes into turbo mode I won't blow out my power supply. I am welcome to any tweaking tips anyone might have to get around the lower power supply issue.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
ultimatetailgater recommended it. Thanks again to him for finding me a good bargain. I have it up and it seems to be working well. Everything is staying cool and smooth. I haven't played and games yet though. The guy at the PC shop was really cool. I just needed one extension and he didn't even charge me. I guess it was too cheap and he had plenty of them. His name is Stephen at Florence PC located on Second Loop Road for those in the Florence area. It's next to Tubbs Restaurant, across from the Goodwill.

I hopefully the 50w difference won't be a problem. I am not planning on overclocking anything. My CPU has turbo boost so it should not need to be overclocked. This GPU is already overclocked by the manufacturer. It comes with a tweak program and I am even thinking about underclocking it a little. Hopefully when my cpu goes into turbo mode I won't blow out my power supply. I am welcome to any tweaking tips anyone might have to get around the lower power supply issue.
I would leave it as is unless you have problems. Kudos on getting it set up! BTW, are you in Florence or St. Pete?

Order Of The Spur
Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

You'll be fine, even at 90% system load according to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

a 450watt psu would be enough, so you've got some overhead at 500w, even if it's not a high end model with good efficiency you should have plenty of cushion, just don't overclock anything. The built-in oc on the video card is fine though.

Download the free version of this https://unigine.com/products/heaven/ run it at your monitors max resolution with 4xAA on. If it completes the benchmark and your pc doesn't crash and/or have artifacts on the screen then you wont have any issues since this program will hammer your gpu and get it to use max power.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote