CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ahmad
jrussjr
eightohhthree
SC Sandlapper
HeadCockFan
Spur's Addiction
Goofyboy
henmania
gAmkok
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Defensive personnel (1497)
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1402)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (1361)
Defense not an issue (1042)
Cack's Toast of the (827)
Legitimate, Unbiased (718)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (696)
I guess we don't get (672)
The Green Strip is B (378)
Antonio Allen vs Alshon J
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
Jersey question
open discussion of this t
2016 - Bryan Edwards
I guess we don't get all
Name a Gamecock
On the other hand
Rank the SEC starting QBs
Gameday Sign Ideas

Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #621
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw Browns

They probably plan on signing him to the practice squad so they can develop him as a similar QB in case JF goes down.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #622
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Why would anyone trade for an UFA that they could pick up when cut day comes around?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #623
JulesWinnfield90
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
JulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his clawsJulesWinnfield90 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Really? A pre-season game?
the lack of any NFL knowledge whatsoever of this board is astonishing
JulesWinnfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #624
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

If he is up against Grossman for the final spot, then to me it is a no brainer. Pick Shaw... Grossman might have experience, but he was not anything to write home about. His upper limit has been maxed and met already. With Shaw there is at least the opportunity to improve.
Hope Shaw gets the slot
Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #625
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

From the pictures I saw of Rex on the sidelines he wouldn't be able to make it a whole drive without a donut break.
YouCanNeverTell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 AM   #626
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
They probably plan on signing him to the practice squad so they can develop him as a similar QB in case JF goes down.
Lol again?
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #627
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I know grossman knows shanahan's system but he doesn't know this system. There was no pistol, no QB runs, no read option while he was in washington. I am sure the passing trees and language might be close to the same but to say he knows the system is not entirely true.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #628
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I know grossman knows shanahan's system but he doesn't know this system.
Yep, but he's insurance....Rex has led his team to the Super Bowl one time...while Connor can be activated at anytime from the practice squad if needed. Just saying...
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #629
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
What do you mean "not how it works"?

I suggested they will cut Shaw...that is it.

Of course I know he will have to go through waiver process and then can be added to practice squad if he clears waivers...but again, that is after he is cut- which is all I suggested.
No, you said he would be cut "later today". That was what I took exception to.

Despite Clowns fans message boards and threads on Cockytalk, they have planned to have him on their practice squad and it looks like that is panning out.
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #630
18IsTheMan
4-Star

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambam View Post
No, you said he would be cut "later today". That was what I took exception to.

Despite Clowns fans message boards and threads on Cockytalk, they have planned to have him on their practice squad and it looks like that is panning out.
I wish they would cut him so he could latch on somewhere else where he might get treated more fairly.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #631
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
I wish they would cut him so he could latch on somewhere else where he might get treated more fairly.
This is what he signed up for as a FA in the NFL. He has a tough road but he's got a shot.

Even Cleveland is better than boot camp! (Sorry Spare)
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #632
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post

Hell I'd play on the practice squad for a minimum of $312K a year. He'll be fine.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #633
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Two SOS QBs fighting it out for a spot in the NFL! :)

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #634
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
Hell I'd play on the practice squad for a minimum of $312K a year. He'll be fine.
one of the best jobs in America. Get paid to stay in shape, get hit a little bit, play a game, and have almost no responsibility.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #635
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

not much
http://http://www.cleveland.com/buds...t_on_time.html

The quarterback "competition" was so alarmingly unsatisfying that a small percentage of a fan base that loved Hoyer a year ago and celebrated Johnny Manziel on draft night has grown curious about ... no, not you, Rex ... undrafted Connor Shaw.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #636
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post

Unfortunately, it is not $312k. It is $6,300 minimum per week through the season which is a bit over $100k. That doesn't include what he is being paid now as UFA in camp. But the practice squad pay only lasts the season. The highest paid practice squad player makes about $300k but that is someone with a lot of experience. It is unusual for a team to pay much over the minimum unless the player is experienced and highly sought after by others.

Last edited by henmania; 08-27-2014 at 11:01 AM.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #637
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

I found this to be interesting. Sounds like good news for Shaw.

Quote:
The starters are tentatively scheduled to play less than a quarter in Thursday night’s preseason finale against the Bears in FirstEnergy Stadium, coach Mike Pettine said. Rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel will finish the first half, with fellow backups Connor Shaw and, possibly, Rex Grossman, working the second half.
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-br...eseason-finale

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #638
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

I like the possibly. Maybe it will be a didn't happen.
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #639
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Fighting for the final roster spots

Undrafted rookies Connor Shaw and Calvin Barnett both making cases to stay

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...c-41a892d2ec16
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #640
Nick29321
6th year senior

Male

CockyCash: 400
Nick29321 has hatched from the shell

Hoping shaw can make it. Super underrated.