CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
B-G
gadeneer1986
Latt7more
b381l
HeadCockFan
Grit_And_Steel
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Rest of the season p (1068)
Incoming Class (1051)
Why is everyone anti (941)
Just thought of some (771)
Let us clarify some (740)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (739)
Tennessee kickoff an (727)
Is Clowney back toni (586)
Miss St. defense (562)
Why is everyone anticipat
Williams and Mitch
Holiday desserts
Roll call for Auburn
Garber vs Klinsmann round
Miss St. defense
Thoughts on the basketbal
How do you want Auburn to
Just thought of something
Peyton Manning breaks Bre

Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default SOS: QB guru?

A friend and I were recently discussing college football and somehow we ended up talking about SOS and his reputation with QB's. We both acknowledged his reputation as the chief QB guru in college football. But then my friend wondered aloud why that was the case when none of his QB's have done particularly well in the NFL. And it took until Shaw for SOS to really hit it with a QB here. Given the lack of NFL success, I had a hard time coming up with an explanation for how his QB's weren't just system QB's.

So, I'm coming here, the center for football wisdom. I'd like a good explanation for next time I chat with this guy! Do you just throw NFL success totally out the window as a gauge?
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: SOS: QB guru?

Yes and No. Some guys are good in college, others good in the NFL. I think what translates into a good NFL QB is your kind of on your own. SOS can't coach up Connor Shaw in the NFL, but Connor Shaw can coach himself up. Which I think he has done very well. Some QB's can do it better than others. I think it really comes down to the ability to stay focused, and on your game, to not let up, and to study study study until your time comes. His QBs at Florida were successful, but they also had a million tools to work with. Shaw had tools as well, I guess it depends on the personality really. No one coach is bread and butter when it comes to coaching a QB to be successful in the NFL, in the end it is the QB themselves that have to make it happen. Coaching only goes so far.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

true.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

I've wondered the same thing myself. I've noticed also that the big name guys throughout haven't done particularly well. The Small School QB'S have done better. I may be a little off.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne09 View Post
I've wondered the same thing myself. I've noticed also that the big name guys throughout haven't done particularly well. The Small School QB'S have done better. I may be a little off.

Speaking of...seen the new DISH commercial with Heath Shuler and Matt Leinart? Pretty funny.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

Is that a second one? I've seen one with boz and Shuler with a dude that looks like he's still in college.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

Watching the believer now. So Far it's excellent.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

It's all the way that you coach. Spurrier can take a guy and make him into a good qb.
Saban can take a good db and turn him into a 1st round pick.

The difference is the coaching. When that 1st round db is coached by a lesser talented coach at the nfl level he isn't gonna perform at the high level his coach at college helped him achieve.

Same with qb coaches, they can only help you when you're under their tuteledge. When somebody else coaches you, there isn't anything they can help you with anymore.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
... none of his QB's have done particularly well in the NFL. ...
Yes....but look at the bigger picture....how many QBs have done particularly well overall? And how many good college QBs did it take to produce that handful of great QBs?

I don't think HBC is a QB "guru"....I do think he was once-upon-a-time an offensive guru that has morphed into a HBC guru. What makes him unique as a HBC coach, is he won the Heisman and played in the NFL for 10 years, and has built winners everywhere he's coached. No HBC or QB coach in the nation has that kind of cred.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Spurrier helps QB's excel because his instinctive playcalling. He has a tremendous feel for the game. He can mentally prepare (with help from Mangus) the QB for whatever the defense is doing because he's a good play caller.

Sometimes the player just needs to handle their business. You could argue that not until Shaw/Thompson, no QB really got their head on straight for lack of a better term. I think if Thompson has a great year, it will say alot about Spurrier and his development of QB's. Take into consideration that the QB position has somewhat changed over the last 10 years and he did adapt to it.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote