CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
ConwayGamecock
Sandstorm29
Gamecocks1137
Cocks N Stuff
Travelin
Cockypantherfan
aftertwobowls
CoverTwo
cockybreeyan
The U ends apparel d (1129)
Marquavius Lewis (858)
Wilds & Carson B (839)
How Long Will The Re (594)
2015 - Jeremiah Dins (389)
Restaurant musts in (372)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (303)
S & F article on (285)
Spurrier Says " (226)
JC Shurburtt was jus (142)
The Vent and Coaching cha
Holiday Desserts
Restaurant musts in NYC
2015 - Jeremiah Dinson -
Marquavius Lewis
Wilds & Carson Back f
2015 Signee - Darin Small
2015 - Mark Fields
How Long Will The Rebuild
Bowl Tickets On Sale Now

Old 08-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld has hatched from the shell
Default Re: As things currently stand, has the SOS era lived up to the hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
I stood in the stands when we were going through the 0-21 period. I remember the Sparky Woods and Brad Scott era.

I remember when South Carolina football was a joke on a national stage.

Now? It STILL blows my mind when we are mentioned as a SEC contender and a dark horse for the NC.

Has the HBC lived up to his expectations?

I never dreamed we'd get this far.
^^^^ This
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #22
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

If he quit today, no.

Spurrier promised SEC championships, and he hasn't delievered that yet.

The last three years, in my opinion, should have yielded a title, but the guys had the slip up game and didn't take care of business each year.

Granted, Spurrier has completely changed the culture and left a foundation for future success, but Spurrier's job here at SC will be considered a complete success when we lift an SEC championship banner in Willy B. And I think Spurrier would have that same opinion.

IMO, it is the last goal he has left.
-Get to bowl games consistently. Check
-Beat your rivals. Check
-Win the division. Check
-Win bowl games. Check
-Become winningest coach. Check.

There are two goals left..and both involve championships...I'm not shooting for a national title (that is just outrageous to expect, and a lot has to happen)...but SEC title will cement the Spurrier era as a complete success.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
rabid cock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 300
rabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudlyrabid cock is crowing loudly

Previous to Steve Spurrier, USC never even had five winning seasons in a row. We have played a DECADE without a losing season! Many of those seasons came without the extreme depth and talent we now enjoy. Even the Bear couldn't win with a bare cupboard, but Steve has lived up to the hype, the present lack of a league championship notwithstanding.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #24
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

I'm gonna go ahead and say no, because I think Spurrier would say no. Gotta expect what you want.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and say no, because I think Spurrier would say no. Gotta expect what you want.
Agree.
Don't think Spurrier would say he has accomplished everything until he has won the SEC.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #26
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I'm happy.

...but I'm easy so....
Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #27
rioninusc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Historically for USC he has lived up to the hype. As others have said, SOS himself probably won't say he has lived up to the hype until he coaches a team that wins an SEC.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #28
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
I think we should fire him this season if no sec championship. Set the tone for the next coach that continued mediocrity will no be accepted. Fire Spurrier and we show we can fire anyone. kidding, he's done a great job with things so far.
This, by the way, is how you troll. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Outstanding.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #29
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesWinnfield90 View Post
from an objective standpoint, you gotta say absolutely. Your program was in the sewer, and spurrier made it relevant again. That alone should be enough
I'm sorry when were we ever nationally relevant before HBC? Maybe a good winning season here and there but we strung together losing seasons not winning ones.

I think a lot of people either don't know or have just forgotten but our motto used to be: "There's always next year"
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #30
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Does the hype live up to Spurrier?
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #31
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Not trying to disrespect the OP but I think anyone with half a brain would have to say that Steve Spurrier has taken this program to levels none of us could have dreamed about. We were a laughingstock on a national level and now we are respected on a national level. We owe EVERYTHING we have right now to Stephen Orr Spurrier and anyone thinks that he has underacheived is smoking crack.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #32
Senior Rooster
Recruit

Male

Senior Rooster has feathers coming inSenior Rooster has feathers coming in

The answer is yes. He has proven that you can win here consistently, and beat Clemson.
Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #33
Senior Rooster
Recruit

Male

Senior Rooster has feathers coming inSenior Rooster has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Not trying to disrespect the OP but I think anyone with half a brain would have to say that Steve Spurrier has taken this program to levels none of us could have dreamed about. We were a laughingstock on a national level and now we are respected on a national level. We owe EVERYTHING we have right now to Stephen Orr Spurrier and anyone thinks that he has underacheived is smoking crack.
OH MAN! You said it exactly RIGHT!
Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #34
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyClint View Post
...in other words, if SOS decided to call it quits tomorrow, would you be able to honestly say to yourself: "yep, it was all I had hoped for and more!"....OR does all of the hype which surrounded his hire basically "DEMAND" at least one outright SEC title to make you feel as though he fulfilled his promise? What say you, Gamecock Nation?

Honestly and unequivocably Y_E_S

the reason I say this is because I believe that whether The South Carolina Gamecocks win a SEC Championship and National Title within the next 20 years or so, it will be because of what Steve Spurrier created here. And this will be true whether he is the coach who brings us to those promised lands or whether he has moved to the beach and golf links permanently by then.

Spurrier's DNA is firmly infused into the South Carolina Gamecocks identity now.

- On the field.

- In the Stands.

- In the SEC.

- On the national stage.

- Within the halls and offices of the facilities here.

I look at not only where the Gamecocks are right now and in the last few years but also the Solid and Deep foundation he has help build and see sustained success and building blocks for future greater levels of success.

I hoped for an SEC Title or two and some exciting offense in the five or six years I hoped Spurrier would care to coach here before he moved on.

He brought me that.

He also built expectations here above what he has done here. He has demanded that we demand more and he has lead us to believe that "our boys" are as good as any in the nation. And better, high-character, highly-motivated, Hard-working good MEN.

He has wildy exceeded my expectation and I have a level of respect for him 10 fold over from watching him coach those gators.

I am not joking when I say that the greatest moment in South Carolina Gamecocks Football history is when the HBC came here.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #35
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
I stood in the stands when we were going through the 0-21 period. I remember the Sparky Woods and Brad Scott era.

I remember when South Carolina football was a joke on a national stage.

Now? It STILL blows my mind when we are mentioned as a SEC contender and a dark horse for the NC.

Has the HBC lived up to his expectations?

I never dreamed we'd get this far.
I was there with you and More:
Young people will tell you today that the program was at it's lowest
when we were riding the 0-21 losing streak. I'll tell you it had been
much MUCH worse. I was in the stands when we lost to Furman, The
Citidel and The Pacific. I've seen my share of 3 and four win seasons
when we were Lucky to win three / four wins. I've thrown parties when
we won 7 games in a year because it had been almost a decade since
we'd won that many before. I sat through a lot of three and four game
win streaks by The Clemson Tigers, and did the Happy dance when we
won ONE.
Just going through a streak of not having a losing season (Spurrier's
first 5 years here) was enough for me to call him the best coach in
my lifetime. I cautioned people on this board after the 2010 season
when we won the East, NOT to think this team and "Turned The Corner",
but to wait for three/ four years from now and see if we could maintain
the 9+ win seasons. WELL, three years after I've said that, not only
has coach Spurrier topped the best season record of 1984, but he's made
it a distant memory rather than a goal for the program.

I really hope he stays until we win the SEC, but if he did walk away today,
I'd call him the best this program has ever seen and hope that the next
guy in can continue to build on what he started here. We've NEVER
been the kind of program we are right now. They used to make fun of
this team after they beat us, now they make excuses for losing to us.
Spurrier did that. HELL YEAH HE'S LIVE UP TO THE HYPE... He's far
exceeded it in my eyes. We're not losing to the Furmans and the Citidels
and The Pacifics of the game anymore, and we're beating the Georgias,
the Floridas and the Alabamas. ...... Spurrier's doing that
Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #36
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

You bet he has!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #37
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I was there with you and More:
Young people will tell you today that the program was at it's lowest
when we were riding the 0-21 losing streak. I'll tell you it had been
much MUCH worse. I was in the stands when we lost to Furman, The
Citidel and The Pacific. I've seen my share of 3 and four win seasons
when we were Lucky to win three / four wins. I've thrown parties when
we won 7 games in a year because it had been almost a decade since
we'd won that many before. I sat through a lot of three and four game
win streaks by The Clemson Tigers, and did the Happy dance when we
won ONE.
Just going through a streak of not having a losing season (Spurrier's
first 5 years here) was enough for me to call him the best coach in
my lifetime. I cautioned people on this board after the 2010 season
when we won the East, NOT to think this team and "Turned The Corner",
but to wait for three/ four years from now and see if we could maintain
the 9+ win seasons. WELL, three years after I've said that, not only
has coach Spurrier topped the best season record of 1984, but he's made
it a distant memory rather than a goal for the program.

I really hope he stays until we win the SEC, but if he did walk away today,
I'd call him the best this program has ever seen and hope that the next
guy in can continue to build on what he started here. We've NEVER
been the kind of program we are right now. They used to make fun of
this team after they beat us, now they make excuses for losing to us.
Spurrier did that. HELL YEAH HE'S LIVE UP TO THE HYPE... He's far
exceeded it in my eyes. We're not losing to the Furmans and the Citidels
and The Pacifics of the game anymore, and we're beating the Georgias,
the Floridas and the Alabamas. ...... Spurrier's doing that
Oh how I remember and I agree with everything you said!
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #38
2010Redbirds
You best believe

Male

CockyCash: 9976675
2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs

Hell he's done more for us than I thought he would.. Alot of sheeyat that ol boy had to put to bed.. , , Past is the past though... If we can triplicate seasons... man needs a statue. W TOMMOROW!! DO WORK!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #39
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 10200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Spurrier deserves all of the credit for the last decade. The culmination of circumstances would never allow us to lose to teams like The Citadel or Furman consistently again, thankfully. While South Carolina may not be in a position to contend for the East every year, I'd be shocked if we ever saw those days again. Unless somehow we were kicked out of the SEC. The resources, facilities, fan support, and most importantly, MONEY, will give us an edge over inferior programs (which includes every program in this state).
Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #40
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

It has definitely been a great last 5 years. Last 3 seasons of 11 wins and 5 straight over Clemson.

The Spurrier era has definitely been a success despite the early struggles when an emphasis wasn't placed on recruiting until 07.

The only thing we will look back on is no SEC title yet...no hardware.

IMO we have been just a few recruits and a few dominant players short of getting over that hump.