CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
CockyLifer
b381l
Regalcock
Cockhornleghorn
ZenUSC
peterlemon
roosterdude21
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2550)
Morris to SMU (2092)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1324)
Carolina on a Walmar (764)
Game simulation (588)
Penniless: Creed's S (359)
Strategy First Steam (275)
Clemson fans (261)
Origin Sale Too (174)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Clemson fans
Morris to SMU
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
2017 - Savales Cann
Have we been favored in e
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Kerbal Space Program Game
Carolina on a Walmart com
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G

Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Nick29321
6th year senior

Male

CockyCash: 200
Nick29321 is learning to peck
Default mike Davis comparison

I was watching sec network and listening to a piece where Spurrier was saying if Davis had a big year he'd go pro. I know he's said he earlier in the month but I was thinking who Davis compared to in the NFL and Maurice Jones drew popped up. Who do you guys think he resembles?

Note: if this has been talked abt or in the wrong place delete or whatever
Isaiah 40:31
Nick29321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: mike Davis comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick29321 View Post
I was watching sec network and listening to a piece where Spurrier was saying if Davis had a big year he'd go pro. I know he's said he earlier in the month but I was thinking who Davis compared to in the NFL and Maurice Jones drew popped up. Who do you guys think he resembles?

Note: if this has been talked abt or in the wrong place delete or whatever
Resembles a Donald Brown/Trent Richardson to me, if you want to talk recent backs. Old backs, he is about as close to George Rodgers as we have had.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

He had posted on his Instagram last year a write up from earl Campbell comparing mikes skills to him. Good comparison but what impressed me most was mikes knowledge of earl and the genuine pride he felt from being compared to an all time great.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Nick29321
6th year senior

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Resembles a Donald Brown/Trent Richardson to me, if you want to talk recent backs. Old backs, he is about as close to George Rodgers as we have had.
I could see the comparison with Trent. But Davis is like 5'9 225ish? Jus reminds me of mjd. If he gets any bigger could be like mike Tolbert lol
Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

please dont compare him to trent. mike has infinitely better vision and cutting ability than trent. speaking of trent though i hope mike doesnt bulk up too much where it affects him negatively. i was watching something on rotoworld and josh norris made a comparison to doug martin which may be valid. i think it was greg mcelroy on the sec network who gave him the high end comparison to emmitt smith.

heres a preseason breakdown from another guy at rotoworld.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...ike-davis?pg=1

i dont agree with basically saying mike has mediocre feet or some other things, but its about as thorough a breakdown as ive seen.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Surprised no one has said Marshall Faulk.

Obviously Faulk may be the best of all time, but just saying in terms of running style, catching the ball, and speed. Mike Davis has that same studder juke and sneaky speed to go along with power that Faulk had.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #7
Nick29321
6th year senior

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post

Surprised no one has said Marshall Faulk.

Obviously Faulk may be the best of all time, but just saying in terms of running style, catching the ball, and speed. Mike Davis has that same studder juke and sneaky speed to go along with power that Faulk had.
Yea same running style. I had just got into football around when his career was winding down so I didn't see too Much of his play. Ladanian Tomlinson is another good comparison I think
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Ahmad Bradshaw also comes to mind. Bradshaw maybe a little faster.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #9
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

Ray Rice
Old 08-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #10
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

20% Faulk, 20% Ahmad Bradshaw, 60% Alfred Morris
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Rice, JonesDrew, Ingram
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

Reminds me of a 2008 healthy Johnathon Stewart...makes a living running between the tackles but once he breaks one, he is gone
Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Ray Rice hands down.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Somebody on SEC Network said Emmitt Smith.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
He had posted on his Instagram last year a write up from earl Campbell comparing mikes skills to him. Good comparison but what impressed me most was mikes knowledge of earl and the genuine pride he felt from being compared to an all time great.
I'm not getting the comparison of Earl to Mike, even when Earl is the one making the comparison. I think Mike has better speed.

Earl was just a beast. Every now and then I'll look up some of his NFL highlights just to watch him running through players like a charging bull.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
Nick29321
6th year senior

Male

yea him and ray rice are very similar same build all the attributes they both pose threats from the backfield and as a receiver.

Last edited by Nick29321; 08-28-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
Nick29321
6th year senior

Male

what abt Jamaal Charles?

Last edited by Nick29321; 08-28-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
Ray Rice
Yeah, that is who comes to mind for me too. Ingram is a good comparsion two. Those three are just slightly different.

Power= 1. Ingram. 2. Davis 3. Rice
Speed= 1. Rice. 2. Davis 3. Ingram
Explosiveness= 1. Davis 2. Ingram 3. Rice
Receiving = 1. Rice 2. Davis 3.Ingram
Making moves and cuts = all about equal.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
cockthehammer
Blue Chip

Male

cockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Ray Rice hands down.
^This
cockthehammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Another guy I would say is Maurice Clarrett. Just a lot more mature and hard working.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote