CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
b381l
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
spareparts
gamecockgal
Yearofthegamecock
JerseyBird
Pw00132
Dylan Thompson's pas (2969)
ST coach fired this (2896)
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Celebrity Guest Pick (2390)
Let's talk about Mat (1981)
So, um, yeah the NFL (838)
Defensive personnel (789)
Rank the SEC startin (764)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (739)
Kendrick salley (700)
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Brawl at 49ers/Cardinals
Cravin Melon on MNF
Gameday Sign Ideas
Celebrity Guest Picker...
Mizzou Depth Chart vs Sou
7:30 kickoff for Kentucky
Dylan Thompson's passing
Capital One Bowl to chang
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #21
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier winning at football, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
How does one win at life?
Fame, fortune, family, friends, be admired, respected, revered, celebrated, live on the beach in SC, play a lot of golf, have a job you love, drive a nice car, eat fresh seafood and have a dog.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #22
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
Fame, fortune, family, friends, be admired, respected, revered, celebrated, live on the beach in SC, play a lot of golf, have a job you love, drive a nice car, eat fresh seafood and have a dog.
You hit the nail on the head basically. That is all it takes to really be successful in life, feel good, and live strong.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #23
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCNowAndForever View Post
You say that as if there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously, making a strong commitment to helping your team be the best it can be, and sweating the small stuff.

There is nothing objectively wrong with that.

Nick Saban sweats the small stuff. Bill Walsh sweated the small stuff. Belichick sweats the small stuff. Each of them has way more titles than I think Spurrier will ever have.

I rag on Spurrier a lot. Well, I would say most of it is not so much ragging on him as it is ragging on the fans that constantly sunshine pump. With that said, I can't say there is anything objectively wrong with him trying to live a balanced life.

But, it's absurd for you to sit there and criticize coaches who do take their job more seriously than Spurrier takes his job, and it's also absurd for you to imply that there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously.

It's fine if you respect Spurrier for living a balanced life. I can't tell you what you ought to value.

Just don't hate on the coaches who work harder than Spurrier does. They have won more national championships than he has at the collegiate level (Saban) and NFL level (Walsh, Belichick). There are probably several reasons why that is the case, but work ethic has definitely played a role.
And who are 2 of the more miserable people in sports? Saban and Belichick. There's more to life than football.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #24
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
You say that as if there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously, making a strong commitment to helping your team be the best it can be, and sweating the small stuff.

Nick Saban sweats the small stuff. Bill Walsh sweated the small stuff. Belichick sweats the small stuff. Each of them has way more titles than I think Spurrier will ever have.

I rag on Spurrier a lot. Well, I would say most of it is not so much ragging on him as it is ragging on the fans that constantly sunshine pump. With that said, I can't say there is anything objectively wrong with him trying to live a balanced life.

But, it's absurd for you to sit there and criticize coaches who do take their job more seriously than Spurrier takes his job, and it's also absurd for you to imply that there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously.

It's fine if you respect Spurrier for living a balanced life. I can't tell you what you ought to value.

Just don't hate on the coaches who work harder than Spurrier does. They have won more national championships than he has at the collegiate level (Saban) and NFL level (Walsh, Belichick). There are probably several reasons why that is the case, but work ethic has definitely played a role.
How is it you think that someone who understands that family and friends are important and who works to maintain those relationships isn't taking their job seriously? That's a ludicrous assertion and it's kind of offensive. Everyone I've ever met who never quits working is a miserable human being. And, on average, they don't perform their job any better (and sometimes they perform much worse) than the person who also spends time being a parent to their kids and a friend to their peers. Employing work-life balance isn't at all the same as neglecting your job or not taking it seriously. It sounds a little like you might be jealous of the balance and are looking to justify why you don't have it. But obviously I don't know you so I can't say for sure.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #25
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #26
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:

You are equating working harder/taking a job seriously with working longer. I'm not sure what winning at life is, but I'm pretty sure this is an easy platitude to lose at life with.

When life is over, I would much rather be remembered for my commitment to my family and friends over my commitment to working longer hours. I'm good at what I do, but when I leave work I try to leave it at the door. I've worked 90+ hours per week for many years and am much happier, more fulfilled, and believe now I am winning at life more than I was before.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote