CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
GregoryHouse
U-Dub Gamecock
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
mpilot0705
JerseyBird
crowcutta
For Discussing The C (4212)
Question about after (3137)
Drew Owens missing? (2785)
Shaq Roland (1898)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1851)
clemson game time: N (1408)
FishFry 47-yarder (885)
The Defense (636)
Mason Rudolph starti (559)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
The Defense
2014 Charleston Classic:
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Question about after the
2015 - Joe Blue
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Early signees?
Women's soccer Sweet 16 v
Dylan Thompson surpasses

Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #41
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material
Default Re: Kyle Carpenter to lead Gamecocks Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
You're splitting hairs.
It's far from splitting hairs. Like the others said, I'll respectfully correct anyone that calls me a soldier, instead of Marine. I'd expect members of the other branches to do the same.

Next time you meet a Dr., refer to him/her as nurse then ask if its just splitting hairs.

Regardless, great that the university is honoring Cpl Carpenter - I'd love to be there to watch. As it is, I'll be stuck watching here in TX surrounded by Aggies!

Semper Fi and Go Cocks!

Last edited by Gaichon; 08-28-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #42
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

GarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervous

It's all too confusing. Can I just call you John, Jack, or Jimmy?
GarnetBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #43
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bed Sores View Post
You spent all that time discussing that you're a Marine and finished it with saying you hate when people expose themselves as Veterans.

NICE!
Reread his quote. He said to get something free.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #44
Texas_Terror
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 550
Texas_Terror is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
If someone calls me a soldier, I correct them.

If they say "same thing" I explain that it isn't.

I earned the title of Marine at Parris Island. I chose to go in the USMC, not the Army. The purpose of each is different.

The army is an occupying force, Marines are the tip of the spear. Sometimes the lines are blurred, but the patch on my uniform that said U.S. MARINES is never blurry.

While I can appreciate those that think it's "all the same" don't need to know the difference: I don't ask much, just call me Marine. Not soldier, not sailor, not airman. I am a Marine. If you don't, I won't get mad, I'll correct you. If you say it's all the same I will explain the difference. Then I hope it stops there.

I don't usually get on a soap box, and I hate when/if people say "I'm a veteran" to get something. But for those that didn't get to come back home, please take a few seconds to know the difference.

Army = soldier
USMC = Marine
Navy = sailor
Air Force = airmen (regardless of gender)

I dont really understand what the hang up is with this. If you can't respect a person who put there life on the line for their country enough to call them by what they ask then you dont respect them for what they did serving the military. I guess that comes from being surrounded by marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen. As much as they give each other enough grief anyway, someone who hasn't served has no idea the work you have to put into earning that title. And until they do doesn't get a say in my opinion.
Texas_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #45
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:

I earned the title of Marine at Parris Island. I chose to go in the USMC, not the Army. The purpose of each is different.

The army is an occupying force, Marines are the tip of the spear. Sometimes the lines are blurred, but the patch on my uniform that said U.S. MARINES is never blurry.

While I can appreciate those that think it's "all the same" don't need to know the difference: I don't ask much, just call me Marine. Not soldier, not sailor, not airman. I am a Marine. If you don't, I won't get mad, I'll correct you. If you say it's all the same I will explain the difference. Then I hope it stops there.

I don't usually get on a soap box, and I hate when/if people say "I'm a veteran" to get something. But for those that didn't get to come back home, please take a few seconds to know the difference.

Army = soldier
USMC = Marine
Navy = sailor

I agree with most of this but I have to disagree with your oversimplification of the differences.
My WWII D-Day veteran dad and the men he served with would take exception to being called an occupying force when they were storming the beaches at Normandy.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #46
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Bed Sores has feathers coming inBed Sores has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
[/b]
I agree with most of this but I have to disagree with your oversimplification of the differences.
My WWII D-Day veteran dad and the men he served with would take exception to being called an occupying force when they were storming the beaches at Normandy.

Eeasssy there. You're talking to a Marine.
Bed Sores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #47
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
It's far from splitting hairs. Like the others said, I'll respectfully correct anyone that calls me a soldier, instead of Marine. I'd expect members of the other branches to do the same.

Next time you meet a Dr., refer to him as nurse then ask if its just splitting hairs.

Regardless, great that the university is honoring Cpl Carpenter - I'd love to be there to watch. As it is, I'll be stuck watching here in TX surrounded by Aggies!

Semper Fi and Go Cocks!
I want to start out by saying that I am grateful for all of our service men and women. I have always used the term soldier to mean a person in the military. and referred to marines specifically. as in not only is he a solider but actually a marine. from reading the posts in this thread and independently confirming it, i understand that that is technically incorrect but I cant see how it would be offensive. everyone knows the marines are the hardest of the branches of military. I just never knew soldier was specific to the army instead of a general term.

with regard to your doctor/nurse analogy, I'd say most people's intent is more like calling a neurosurgeon a doctor instead of a neurosurgeon. we all know it is way harder to be a neurosurgeon than a family doctor, but are just using the term loosely.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #48
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:

Army = soldier
USMC = Marine
Navy = sailor
or
Soldier = Grunt = Me
Marine = Jarhead
Sailor = Squid
Airmen = Well that's demeaning enough already.
God bless all our men and women in uniform and their families for all they have done and will do in the future.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #49
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
I want to start out by saying that I am grateful for all of our service men and women. I have always used the term soldier to mean a person in the military. and referred to marines specifically. as in not only is he a solider but actually a marine. from reading the posts in this thread and independently confirming it, i understand that that is technically incorrect but I cant see how it would be offensive. everyone knows the marines are the hardest of the branches of military. I just never knew soldier was specific to the army instead of a general term.

with regard to your doctor/nurse analogy, I'd say most people's intent is more like calling a neurosurgeon a doctor instead of a neurosurgeon. we all know it is way harder to be a neurosurgeon than a family doctor, but are just using the term loosely.
good enough. we understand each other.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #50
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
Kyle is a Marine not a soldier.
This and someone who I posted about months back. A true hero and an inspiration to all Marines.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #51
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
You're splitting hairs.
NEGATIVE!!! There is a HUGE difference
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #52
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bed Sores View Post
You spent all that time discussing that you're a Marine and finished it with saying you hate when people expose themselves as Veterans.

NICE!
Ease up Sores... Jarhead family is a strong bond.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #53
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Terror View Post
I dont really understand what the hang up is with this. If you can't respect a person who put there life on the line for their country enough to call them by what they ask then you dont respect them for what they did serving the military. I guess that comes from being surrounded by marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen. As much as they give each other enough grief anyway, someone who hasn't served has no idea the work you have to put into earning that title. And until they do doesn't get a say in my opinion.
Go step on the Yellow Footprints and it will be all clear for you...
People in the Army say thing like " I was a xxxxx in the Army"
People in the Navy say "I was xxxxx in the Navy"
Marines just say I AM a Marine. Never ends, and it cheapens everything a Marine went through and every sacrifice other Devil Dogs made to call them anything other than "MARINE"
Old 08-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #54
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

We have reached the point where people will now argue over anything on the board.

Come on guys, it's Game Day.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #55
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Much more than just "anything"
Old 08-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #56
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Much more than just "anything"
We get it, you are a marine, thanks for your service.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #57
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

Their doing his story on sec network now.
TroubleCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #58
FeloniousCock
4-Star

Male

FeloniousCock has feathers coming inFeloniousCock has feathers coming in

Ok i will admit i teared up. Man this is how the season needed to start. Thank you Lance corporal Carpenter!!!! Go Cocks!!!
FeloniousCock is offline   Reply With Quote