CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Gamecocks1137
b381l
FanofCarolina1
JerseyBird
carolinacocky
CockyInTexas
kingoftheroost
Could Pharoh Run the (1157)
Mullen Pulls QB's Sc (1110)
Huge recruiting week (1003)
Big George Statue (720)
TV?? (699)
ESPN's Mike Golic ke (670)
Fly_over tomorrow? (471)
No Shave November (464)
Scholarship Lounge B (387)
Awful Shooting Conti (312)
How about this scenario
2014 Charleston Classic *
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Awful Shooting Continues
TV??
Could Pharoh Run the O Li
River Bluff High School.
USC/South Alabama 11/22/2
Mullen Pulls QB's Scholar

Old 08-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #61
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Lorenzo Ward's Play calling

I'm a blitzing fool... If it were up to me I wouuld hire Joe Lee back in a heart beat! Long live the FIRE ANTS!!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #62
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Lawing and Whammy have both stated that our D will be very similar to last year's. We are not overhauling our D since it was effective. We are fine tuning or tweaking it by adding more aggressive play calling. No coach has stated that we will be blitzing often or wildly. We just won't be sitting back as much, letting a QB pick us apart like Arky, ECU and thUGA did.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #63
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

Need to make the O guess what we are going to do. Being unpredictable is the key.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #64
Loathor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 570
Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcock
E.J. called a lot of base defenses last year. Teams like Arkansas will eat those up. If you aren't switching things up, and getting to the QB, you're bound to give up some yardage.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Loathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #65
Loathor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 570
Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous

nm... (Stupid phone)

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Loathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #66
gamecock ray
Recruit

Male

gamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spurs

I believe in Coach Whammy. You have to keep constant pressure on these qbs. I dont care how many guys you drop back in coverage, a qb with a lot of time is going to find an open receiver. I'm sure Coach Whammy will be sending guys from all directions at different times, causing confusion among the qbs that we will face. Have some faith.
gamecock ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #67
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I blitz like it's going out of style on NCAA '13 and I'm quite successful.

In all seriousness, I agree with the comments about EJ's defense the last few years here. I think what he did while he was here was good, but I can't help but think it could have been a lot better. I used to get so frustrated watching teams just pick apart his zone defense because he refused (or at least seemed like it) to blitz. Sure, blitzes aren't always successful. Ask any seasoned DC if blitzing works 100% of the time, and they'll all tell you no. My theory, however, is keep blitzing and change your calls, because at some point you're eventually going to get to the QB and make something happen.

I'll be excited to see the aggressiveness Coach Ward has talked about when we hit the field on Thursday. I would definitely love to see the defense open with a blitz, similar to the Clemson game. If it doesn't work, sit back for a while and figure things out, and if we're in a position where we can afford the risk, then try it again.

It's scary how much better this defense can be when it's more aggressive. I know how nervous some of us are about blitzing when thinking about the secondary, but maybe a more aggressive front seven can provide the help the secondary needs early on.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #68
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

too many threads like this focus only on pass defense and drastically overstate our problems against the pass at times last year. you would think we were getting beat for 300-400 yards consistently and that it was the only problem we had according to some posts.

maybe the op has a better recollection of the uga and ecu games than i have but i dont recall us getting killed because of mixed blitz packages. 3rd quarter vs ecu on their drive to cut it to 35-31, two plays of 20+ yards given up through the air, both plays we rushed our front 4. their first td pass of 25 yards, wr rushed 3 dlinemen, im pretty sure that pattern holds true.

same thing in the uga game, they didnt kill our corners. the only pass their wr's caught in the 1st half was a 26 yard td pass where we rushed 4. in fact that was the only pass their wr's caught until it was 28-20. at which point we did do a few blitzes, but the problem even with our blitzes is we were laying off their receivers too much giving him easy completions and letting him get in a rhythm.

i think the real difference we saw after those games is challenging receivers more. sure we didnt play a lot of great passing teams thats why i point to the pass efficiency defense more than the yardage given up.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #69
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
too many threads like this focus only on pass defense and drastically overstate our problems against the pass at times last year. you would think we were getting beat for 300-400 yards consistently and that it was the only problem we had according to some posts.

maybe the op has a better recollection of the uga and ecu games than i have but i dont recall us getting killed because of mixed blitz packages. 3rd quarter vs ecu on their drive to cut it to 35-31, two plays of 20+ yards given up through the air, both plays we rushed our front 4. their first td pass of 25 yards, wr rushed 3 dlinemen, im pretty sure that pattern holds true.

same thing in the uga game, they didnt kill our corners. the only pass their wr's caught in the 1st half was a 26 yard td pass where we rushed 4. in fact that was the only pass their wr's caught until it was 28-20. at which point we did do a few blitzes, but the problem even with our blitzes is we were laying off their receivers too much giving him easy completions and letting him get in a rhythm.

i think the real difference we saw after those games is challenging receivers more. sure we didnt play a lot of great passing teams thats why i point to the pass efficiency defense more than the yardage given up.
I've watched the UGA game from last year and I admit I haven't paid much attention to how much we blitzed, but if I get a chance to I'll watch a little bit of it soon and see how much it was.

You make a good point, however. It goes back to EJ not being aggressive and not blitzing, thus giving Murray time to sit back and find soft spots in the coverage. Any average QB can do that when given enough time to throw.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #70
NC GAMECOCK
Walk On

Male

NC GAMECOCK has hatched from the shell

Time to find Lorenzo another job yet?
NC GAMECOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #71
rubber
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
rubber has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
You know why Arkansas ate up Ellis Johnson the last 3 years? Because we sat back and let them attack us.

We also avoided playing competent passing teams last year which inflated our stats defensively against the pass. The teams that did throw the ball well, ate our defense for lunch, statistically speaking.

YES
rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #72
rvrrt169
Recruit

Male

rvrrt169 has hatched from the shell

The whole defensive staff.
rvrrt169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #73
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Ward had the entire summer to plan for this O and this is what we get? The talent is obviously not there, but that too is the coaches' fault.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #74
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

The D-Line is awful... I mean awful.. Deke Adams needs his ass chewed out..
Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #75
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

embarassing tonight
Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 PM   #76
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

I know it's first game and all. But we should be better than this on D. Ward a Defensive Genius? BULLSHIT. He didn't adjust at all after the half. Not at all. And Deke Adams true colors as a coach are showing with JD and Kelcy gone. The had talent and he relied on that talent to make his D Line coaching abilities seem good. Now we see, he has no ability. A typical ACC coach that Ward brought in. Big mistake.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #77
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

The only confusion Ward caused was his own.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #78
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 960
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Time to fire Deke Adams. We tried to justify his lack of results. Not happening anymore.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #79
gromweat
Walk On

Male

gromweat has hatched from the shell

I think Ward and Deke should be gone. Hire Brad back as the new DC
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #80
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromweat View Post
I think Ward and Deke should be gone. Hire Brad back as the new DC
We always had a good dline when lawing was here