CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
El Cid Ranger
ReadR00ster
taylorssc
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
kingofnerf
GarnetSwarm1990
Fight, win, kick a-- (1163)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (935)
The Gator Bowl wants (906)
CFN prediction for a (885)
Why I'm hopeful abou (844)
USC will upset Aubur (748)
A simple defensive l (712)
What happened to thi (665)
Ranking Top HC jobs (481)
In-state QB talent (471)
Thoughts on the basketbal
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Cann tipping plays?
Holiday desserts
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Why is everyone anticipat
BA ranks recruiting class
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh

Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #201
FloridaVol
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloridaVol has hatched from the shell
Default Re: A&M vent thread

There is a lot over reaction ITT. As a rival, you may not want to hear my opinion, but this was one game. If your team is going to lose a game now is the time. This loss shouldn't cause you to lose any recruits and Scar can still reach its goals. The margin for error is just smaller.

Those calling out Spurrier for a lack of dedication are misguided. There is more than one way to skin a cat and SOS has been pretty successful from winning the Heisman, to winning the ACC, to 6 straight SEC, to the MNC, to completely changing the culture in Columbia. You don't do all that with dedication. SOS is the guy that likes to tell you he got straight As without studying. He works harder than he lets on. He's not a Saban kind of guy, but the Saban myth is probably a little exaggerated, as well.

Anyhoo, my point was it was one game, nothing more, nothing less. Whether Scar lost by 1 or 50 the end result is the same. Don't make too much of it.
FloridaVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:21 AM   #202
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVol View Post
There is a lot over reaction ITT. As a rival, you may not want to hear my opinion, but this was one game. If your team is going to lose a game now is the time. This loss shouldn't cause you to lose any recruits and Scar can still reach its goals. The margin for error is just smaller.

Those calling out Spurrier for a lack of dedication are misguided. There is more than one way to skin a cat and SOS has been pretty successful from winning the Heisman, to winning the ACC, to 6 straight SEC, to the MNC, to completely changing the culture in Columbia. You don't do all that with dedication. SOS is the guy that likes to tell you he got straight As without studying. He works harder than he lets on. He's not a Saban kind of guy, but the Saban myth is probably a little exaggerated, as well.

Anyhoo, my point was it was one game, nothing more, nothing less. Whether Scar lost by 1 or 50 the end result is the same. Don't make too much of it.
Spurrier is great at some things but the things he lacks other teams are well aware of and we pay dearly for at times last night his lack of knowledge of what the d coaches were doing bit us badly.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #203
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCocking View Post
That was hard to watch.

Pass coverage was non-existent, run coverage was barely there, almost no pass rush, couldn't tackle, over-pursued, took bad angles, obviously confused at times, the list goes on.

Ward has a huge task to try and fix everything that went wrong tonight. The season isn't lost yet but if there's not much progress in the next few games, it's going to be a very long season.

Ward should not have the task at all. Someone else she be given it to do. Always thought he was out of his depth and this proves it.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #204
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Ward should not have the task at all. Someone else she be given it to do. Always thought he was out of his depth and this proves it.
Why do people heap praise on Ward? I have never understood it it's almost like people in media and everywhere tell Spurrier he's so great so he'll keep him and not question him after games like this
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #205
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Why do people heap praise on Ward? I have never understood it it's almost like people in media and everywhere tell Spurrier he's so great so he'll keep him and not question him after games like this
I always thought he benefited from working under Ellis Johnson, but was never SEC DC material. Him implementing the 3-4 this year and teaching his own batch of players now kinda proves that he's lacking as a defensive coordinator. The only thing he exceeds at is recruiting and being social with his players. I think the whole "we're a family" thing that we have going on here is great, but I'd much rather have results on the field than a staff of good friends.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #206
BGKYTigger
Walk On

Male

BGKYTigger has hatched from the shell

Okay, As you can see, this is my first post, and I'm looking for some honest feedback from y'all.

As a lifelong Mizzou fan and alum, I carried these observations out of our loss to you last year immediately after the game,":

1) South Carolina may miss Kelcy Quarles next year (now this year)almost as much as Clowney. It seemed like their ability to disrupt were very reflexive upon each other oftentimes. And them togeter took immense pressure off of your secondary.

2) Dylan Thompson has difficulty seeing seams in defenses. Remember how it looked like we ha the game in the bag, Coach puts in a sick shaw, and he lights us up on basically the same skinny post and 10 yard out that Thompson didn't even see until that point?

It's early, lots will happen, I just remembered those takeaways and wondered about whether y'all agreed or disagrees.
BGKYTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #207
BGKYTigger
Walk On

Male

BGKYTigger has hatched from the shell

To be clear, do y'all think either of those observations had an effect on last night, and possibly the season moving forward?
BGKYTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #208
vthokies
4-Star

Male

vthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his claws

@dixiefriedsport: East Carolina runs this same HUNH air raid offense. They had a WR with 114 receptions last year & QB with 4,000+ yards.

*crap*
vthokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #209
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Worst defense since Chris Cosh. But its not like they've been carrying this program for the past 7 years or anything. Inability to line up and run the ball didn't help one bit so the OL has to take their big ol heaping of humble pie too.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #210
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i wouldnt say kelcey was almost as important as clowney but absolutely we needed someone who could provide push up the middle and take advantage of the attention clowney got. even without clowney he would have helped on some of these blitzes by possibly getting one on one attention and winning.

i dont agree on thompson, he sees the field sometimes its just a matter of accuracy. the problems against mizzou last year werent his alone, he moved the ball into scoring position (inside 32) 4 times in that game. 2 fumbles by backs, a missed mid range field goal and a turnover downs his last possession. he wasnt perfect by any means but if he gets any kind of help thats a one score game with us possibly winning at the point shaw came into the game. at that point in the game there also was a change in strategy, we doubled the ends or ran screens the rest of the game for the most part.

the main thing is we have to get the running game going with him at quarterback. its not just his efficiency thats in question its the oline letting guys run free at him due to busted assignments or getting their tails kicked if we get too predictable. then suddenly we're in 2nd and 3rd and long and thats a bad position for any quarterback that wont lead likely to a consistent offense. gotta be balanced and stay in manageable down distance situations so the running game is a threat nearly all the time.

we never put much pressure on kenny hill and they never asked him to force a play even when they were in more obvious passing situations.

3rd and 7 a&m 48, a&m up 7. hill scrambles for 9 yards and a 1st down.
3rd and 16 a&m 34, a&m up 3. 14 yard draw play.
those were the only times a&m was in a remotely bad situation in the 1st half.
3rd and 13 sc 29 a&m up 17. 24 yard draw play.
3rd and 5 sc 5, a&m up 17. cb whiffs jam wr open by 5 yards for easy td.
3rd and 8 a&m 27, a&m up 17. 6 yard completion.
3rd and 9 a&m 18, a&m up 17. 10 yard completion on a 5 yard crossing route that should have been stopped well short of the first by multiple players. this was the killer.

afterwards we had them in three similar situations to the ones above and i hesitate to use the word quit but we were pretty much done at that point, 1st one was at our 17 up 17. last two they were up 24.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #211
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

There's and old adage in football that, "You make the most improvement between week 1 and week 2." All I can say is Lord, I hope so.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #212
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Go back to scheduling non-SEC, cupcake opponents for the opener. We ALWAYS stuggle and start flat.

And 680 yards is a total embarrassment. Ward and his staff should be running the stairs and refreshing their resumes today.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #213
NAGamecockFan
Philippians 4:13

Male

NAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spurs

This is equal parts defensive coaching and recruiting. They both stink. I wasn't buying into the hype before the season but thought we'd win 9 or 10 games. Now I'm thinking we'll be fortunate to go to a bowl...
NAGamecockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #214
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

We gave up 511 yards threw the air. 511 mother****ing yards......

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #215
Braveguy06
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1022
Braveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his claws

Maybe im alone on this but ive been disappointed with our Dline play all of last year and deff last night. I would like to see a change. Last year clowney was doubled at all time leaving most of the rest of our guys in 1 on 1 situations and I dont think we got no where near the pressure we should have. Last night speaks for itself. As far as offense goes, why in the heck didnt we establish a run game from the start and try to manage the clock and time of possession the way we have with Clemson the last few years??? Sure we dont have Connor but it didnt seem like we even attempted to give the run game a real shot. As far as our passing game goes, did they make a rule that all passes must be 30 yard bombs minimum? I about died laughing when dylan slung it 200 yards down field on 3rd and 1. That and him stepping out of bounds for a few yard loss when he had time to throw the ball away. I was feeling real negative last night but guess im just gonna grind my teeth and attempt this sunshine pumping way of life lol.
Braveguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #216
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 918
treyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his claws

The biggest problem with the D is a drop of talent and a lack of size. Gerald and Gerald are no where near Clowney and Quarles. Also, Carolina's LB's were smaller than A&M's receiver's. Carolina will have to put up 35+ points to beat teams this year and once the opponent knows that all Thompson has is the deep ball, then what? Worried about ECU, a team that put up over 50 points 6 times last year. On a positive note, how 'bout that SEC Network, ha ha.
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #217
gamecock1116
Blue Chip

Male

gamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveguy06 View Post
Maybe im alone on this but ive been disappointed with our Dline play all of last year and deff last night. I would like to see a change. Last year clowney was doubled at all time leaving most of the rest of our guys in 1 on 1 situations and I dont think we got no where near the pressure we should have. Last night speaks for itself. As far as offense goes, why in the heck didnt we establish a run game from the start and try to manage the clock and time of possession the way we have with Clemson the last few years??? Sure we dont have Connor but it didnt seem like we even attempted to give the run game a real shot. As far as our passing game goes, did they make a rule that all passes must be 30 yard bombs minimum? I about died laughing when dylan slung it 200 yards down field on 3rd and 1. That and him stepping out of bounds for a few yard loss when he had time to throw the ball away. I was feeling real negative last night but guess im just gonna grind my teeth and attempt this sunshine pumping way of life lol.
U are not alone, I felt that last year Sutton and the tackle opposite Quarles underperformed mightily. With all the attention Clowney got, they should have been better and now this line is far less talented ygm that one. I say we scrap a 3-4 and focus on generating a pass rush from the 4-2-5 that the players know
Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #218
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

No, I agree. Deke should probably be polishing up his resume. Of course I'm sure that won't be good for our vaunted class but this is two seasons of a really bad product with decent to great personnel.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #219
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

The problem last night is there is no leader on this team on either side of the ball and all of the guys looked like it was their first time playing together ever. I couldn't believe the number of times on both sides of the ball where we didn't have 11 guys on the field. The defensive line had no push, they as no clue where to line up and didn't pursue anything. The oline did a good job pass blocking but had nothing for opening running lanes. The receivers were yelling at Thompson, Thompson looked lost at times and the coaches just looked confused. Overall pretty bad accross the board.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #220
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

I'll be calling for Lorenzo's head if he tries running a 3-4 again. We are too small and you can't penetrate a pocket with 220 lb LBs. Size matters.