CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Sandstorm29
wincocks84
jonesz2
Marquavius Lewis (2609)
So, why is next year (2445)
How Long Will The Re (1621)
Why do so many of yo (1163)
Restaurant musts in (1161)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (864)
Shot in the arm for (852)
Custom Jersey (463)
5 Gourmet Foods That (325)
Abu Bowl Ready (256)
Nosovitch/bowl/ question.
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2016 - Jordan Giberti
looks like we have 2 OL r
How Long Will The Rebuild
Marquavius Lewis
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Why do so many of you guy
Frank Martin's Game has b

Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 AM   #81
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Lorenzo Ward's Play calling

To be honest every single one of us should have known the line was going to look terrible when they were trying to run a 3-4 scheme with 4-2-5 size players. Add that to the fact that A&M probably has the best line in the SEC and we were doomed from the start.

3-4 needs to go. Now. English is not the type of player that is able to play inside the tackle right now. He's an edge rusher.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:05 AM   #82
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

The lack of halftime adjustments is what really surprises and bothers me most. Ward has shown a good knack for retooling things in-game in the past, so to see us trot out and go right back to getting torched was troubling.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 AM   #83
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromweat View Post
I think Ward and Deke should be gone. Hire Brad back as the new DC

Lawing isn't the answer as DC, but neither is Ward IMO. Lawing also screwed up things in Columbia for himself and the team. If it wasn't for his indiscretions, Deke would have never been hired in the first place.

With the state of our defense right now, every team we face with an average passing game will have us all on the edge of our seats.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #84
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Scrap the 3-4. Do what we do, and hope the players grow into it. Once I heard 3-4 being thrown around, I knew something might be wrong.

Can we get Ellis Johnson back?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 AM   #85
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
We always had a good dline when lawing was here
yea, he's the one responsible for our front 4....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #86
b381l
Banned

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Scrap the 3-4. Do what we do, and hope the players grow into it. Once I heard 3-4 being thrown around, I knew something might be wrong.

Can we get Ellis Johnson back?
part of the problem is we don't hit much during camp....so we're always behind the first few weeks of the season....I just don't see any game changers on the DL along with little experience among the CB. The long passes for TD's actually hurt us with time of possession and once we wore down, it was over.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:16 AM   #87
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

true. No one on defense played like they wanted to hit someone. Not physical at all.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #88
b381l
Banned

Male

here's a stat for you.....we ran the 3-4 (3 down lineman) 78% of the time and gave up an average of almost 8 yards per play......we ran the 4-3 (4 down lineman) 22% of the time and gave up an average of 4.4 yards per play.

Whammy, are you listening....
Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #89
BlakelyH19
Blue Chip

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

On defense tonight we played with a 3 man front 72% of the time. On those plays we gave up 7.7yds per play.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 AM   #90
BlakelyH19
Blue Chip

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
here's a stat for you.....we ran the 3-4 (3 down lineman) 78% of the time and gave up an average of almost 8 yards per play......we ran the 4-3 (4 down lineman) 22% of the time and gave up an average of 4.4 yards per play.

Guess you're watching SEC Now too lol
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #91
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakelyH19 View Post
On defense tonight we played with a 3 man front 72% of the time. On those plays we gave up 7.7yds per play.
I'm guessing that's the play where the middle of the field was wide open. I swear that was half his pass completions. Over the $R%$ middle.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #92
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Ward is a joke. I always thought he didn't get as much out of Clowney as he should have. I thought it was foolish how he always played vanilla packages with Clowney lined up the same way rather than moving him around. Now it looks like it's a fact. He just isn't that good. We assumed he was because the defense always played pretty well, but it was because he inherited lots of talent and Clowney covered up his poor coaching. The year Clowney looked the best was the year Ellis Johnson coached him. That year he came from all angles and was put in positions for amazing plays as a freshman. We need to throw Ward out and pay Johnson as much money as it takes to bring him back if he will do it.

This game just proved his inability. He made zero adjustments. The defense looked like it'd never been coached before. Arm tackles everywhere, missed assignments, no intensity. It just was pathetic. I never rail against this team even when we shit the bed against Tennessee last year, but this game made it completely obvious Ward needs to go.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #93
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlocw View Post
I have heard multiple times in interviews with Ward and the players that they are excited about the defense this season b/c they will have more blitz packages and simply be more "aggressive" during the games. Here is my question: Why in the hell would you do that?
I understand that you might want to try and apply pressure on the QB if you don't have a good d-line but that obviously is not our weakness. This makes no sense to me at all. Why would you pull coverage guys out of the 1st and 2nd tier to help apply pressure when we will already get plenty of pressure? All you are doing is taking away coverage guys from an already weak secondary. I know this sounds more exciting and everything to players and fans but I am a lot more happier with the idea of a boring a defense that finishes 3rd in the country by merely using its defensive line to force pressure and make the QB realize that he has no where to throw it b/c 7 other players are in coverage. The defensive line ultimately should be responsible to force turnovers and not mixed blitz packages. If you have that luxury then use it! If we come out blitzing and finish around 50th in the country in defense then don't be surprised.
Everyone knows how aggressive his schemes have been and they use it against us maybe he needs to back the f off for once lol.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #94
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post

Also the players we have on roster were recruited for the 4-3 I just don't get the change at all I thought it made sense from the way all of you spoke about it in the offseason but the linebackers were where tonight? I saw 2 lines all first half it seemed 5 guys on the line and 5 guys 10-20 yards off the line and a 6th guy off screen usually so what was he doing preparing for fake punts on every down that never happened?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #95
Red Devil
Starter

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster View Post
Ward is a joke. I always thought he didn't get as much out of Clowney as he should have. I thought it was foolish how he always played vanilla packages with Clowney lined up the same way rather than moving him around. Now it looks like it's a fact. He just isn't that good. We assumed he was because the defense always played pretty well, but it was because he inherited lots of talent and Clowney covered up his poor coaching. The year Clowney looked the best was the year Ellis Johnson coached him. That year he came from all angles and was put in positions for amazing plays as a freshman. We need to throw Ward out and pay Johnson as much money as it takes to bring him back if he will do it.

This game just proved his inability. He made zero adjustments. The defense looked like it'd never been coached before. Arm tackles everywhere, missed assignments, no intensity. It just was pathetic. I never rail against this team even when we shit the bed against Tennessee last year, but this game made it completely obvious Ward needs to go.

This.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #96
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
This.
I 3rd this sentiment!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #97
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

theres a couple things wrong about that statement though. clowney's 2012 season was under ward though lawing was still here. there wasnt a ton of moving around with clowney that season and when we did it wasnt terribly effective, pretty much all his damage was done from the same defensive end spot. what helped clowney beside his own dominance was having a veterans rabbits package of devin taylor on the bookend, chaz sutton, and senior defensive end aldrick fordham playing the dt's in that set. we also had a veteran lb core and dj swearinger in the secondary. even if you want to go back to his freshman season even though it wasnt as good as his 2012 season, he pretty much came exclusively from that de position only with melvin ingram beside him.

its an awful start and he doesnt have the crutch of an all sec or all american pass rusher(s) right now. hes going to have coach better than he ever has and make all the right calls. he certainly didnt do that in the opener. i think we tried different things vs a&m but i dont think we were ever in sync between the different levels of the defense. i dont really like this 3-3-5 with our personnel especially on early downs because i think it makes us way too susceptible to giving up good gains on the ground and then we never end up in a position where the other team is forced to throw and even on the obvious passing downs their draw plays were wide open.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #98
i29gman
Blue Chip

Male

i29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his comb

The 3-whatever defense sucked. It needs to be scrapped now which will pretty much make for a wasted fall training camp. I predict if it is not scrapped now, it will be after E. Carolina because they were just given a blueprint on how to pick us apart and probably have the athletes to do it offensively.
i29gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #99
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

He's an average coach at best with talent. We don't have any now up front nor are we close to having it in the secondary. Little talent plus average coaching equals 511 passing yards.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #100
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Ward's now on the "hot seat". I say he's gone at the end of the season, one way or another.

What an 'effing hack. Having almost 700 yards hung on you is a disgrace.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote