CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Gamecocks1137
FanofCarolina1
carolinacocky
JerseyBird
CockyInTexas
kingoftheroost
TheUniversityofSC
2014 Charleston Clas (4553)
Should UNC get death (1059)
Mullen Pulls QB's Sc (865)
Could Pharoh Run the (786)
BJ Mckie (653)
Huge recruiting week (562)
ESPN's Mike Golic ke (507)
Getting Back on Trac (506)
Big George Statue (482)
Challenge to or revi (326)
2014 Charleston Classic *
Scholarship Lounge Buffet
Womens Soccer NCAA Tourna
Frank Martin
Belk Bowl?
Could Pharoh Run the O Li
2015 - Joe Blue
Predict nonconference win
Mullen Pulls QB's Scholar
TV??

Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #121
i29gman
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
i29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his comb
Default Re: Lorenzo Ward's Play calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
after last night there is a new stat being tracked. it is YAJ (yards after juke). I have never in my life seen so many additional yards from juking. It was like it froze our tacklers...like they seemed snakebit with respect to ATM's speed instead of driving to the tackle.
Yep, we looked just like the taters did against WVa a couple years ago...fear in the eye and hoping they would take it easy on us and not score anymore.
i29gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #122
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

ward said he wanted the team to play fast and they played the exact opposite. there were more than a few times that we pressed the receivers but they were making some of the db's look silly at the line. the td pass on the 3rd and goal at the 5 to the wide side of the field was just one example where al harris got embarrassed at the line of scrimmage and couldnt recover. not that he was alone.

there were times when aggressive blitzes were called in the first half, but in general we were tentative and soft in areas that they exploited over and over and over.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #123
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Ward's game plan...

+

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #124
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Ward's game plan...

+

He didnt even stick to that game plan because we were sans the vasoline
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #125
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
He didnt even stick to that game plan because we were sans the vasoline
Good point
Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #126
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

In my opinion this ain't a play calling issue.This is a recruiting issue.The DL is just short of SEC caliber talent ,especially on the edge and the DB's are inexperienced at corner and undertalented at safety.Maybe some of the freshman will turn out to be great players ,but of the upperclassmen how many draftable players do you see?None in my eyes.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #127
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky Doodle View Post
I understand that you might want to try and apply pressure on the QB if you don't have a good d-line but that obviously is not our weakness.

News flash - our d line stunk it up. Got no pressure with just 4 and their qb ate our lunch. To beat a team like TAM your D has to be sound it all phases. We are a long way off, including the line.
I agree, the d-line was awful. No pressure. If Ward tries the 3-4 again he ought to be fired. We're too little for that.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #128
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
In my opinion this ain't a play calling issue.This is a recruiting issue.The DL is just short of SEC caliber talent ,especially on the edge and the DB's are inexperienced at corner and undertalented at safety.Maybe some of the freshman will turn out to be great players ,but of the upperclassmen how many draftable players do you see?None in my eyes.
Skai Moore could play safety in the NFL.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #129
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I agree, the d-line was awful. No pressure. If Ward tries the 3-4 again he ought to be fired. We're too little for that.
The fact that he tried it at all and thought it would work is worrisome.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #130
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

Al Harris Jr tried to bump and run on the one TD pass...he whiffed....
Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #131
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
The fact that he tried it at all and thought it would work is worrisome.
I totally agree, and the fact that Spurrier acted like he had only read about it like the rest of us is even worse. Did our offense not run full strength against the 3-4 scheme in practice/scrimmages or were we playing tag so no one got hurt?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #132
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I totally agree, and the fact that Spurrier acted like he had only read about it like the rest of us is even worse. Did our offense not run full strength against the 3-4 scheme in practice/scrimmages or were we playing tag so no one got hurt?
That's what I have been saying we don't prepare physically in fall camp
Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #133
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
The OP's points aren't bad but I also think Ward clarified this a few weeks back. He said he won't be reckless with it but wants to create more confusion by using angles and delays. While we've gotten excellent pressure, I felt our blitzes under EJ, overall, were mostly useless. They were picked up most of the time.

Delays? Wow, Ward sure did delay showing any defense last night! Wonder when he's going to show it?
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #134
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
That's what I have been saying we don't prepare physically in fall camp
I'm usually on board with the not really hitting in camp when we start with lesser teams but it was like the coaches had no clue what a&m was all about.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #135
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

We were not 3-4 all night. We played nickel and had some success when blitzing out of it.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #136
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone View Post
We were not 3-4 all night. We played nickel and had some success when blitzing out of it.
I recall some success running past the QB and one or two sacks, but that was about it.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #137
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone View Post
this is another thing i need to look at in a replay in the 2nd half. was it still our base 3-3-5 personnel the whole 2nd half.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #138
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
The lack of halftime adjustments is what really surprises and bothers me most. Ward has shown a good knack for retooling things in-game in the past, so to see us trot out and go right back to getting torched was troubling.
Me, too. You could have cut-and-pasted last year's UCF game into this one, except for the lack of adjustments.

I thought the UCF game was one of our better ones last year because of the halftime adjustments that slowed them down. The large halftime deficit in this one didn't really bother me at the time because I felt we would adjust, slow them down in the second half and beat them.

At the time I thought we intentionally left the 3-4 in there for so long to set them up for something in the second half that they wouldn't have time to adjust for.

It's worrisome to me if the 3-4 wasn't something temporarily put in place for the Aggies and other similar teams.
kingofnerf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #139
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Can't do much playcalling with non-SEC caliber talent on the defensive line
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote