CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NAGamecockFan
No Comments on the H (1409)
Freshman ND WR " (479)
Call of Duty: Advanc (453)
Good Riddance to bad (266)
Keeping tailgate foo (249)
Things They Should H (224)
Vote For Cocky (219)
An A to Z of Noah We (135)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (116)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (39)
Vote For Cocky
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A
NCAAF: OREGON @ CALIFORNI
NCAAF: BYU @ BOISE STATE
NCAAF: TEXAS @ KANSAS STA
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI STATE
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MICHIGA
NCAAF: WEST VIRGINIA @ OK

Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #41
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jimmies and Joes

I totally disagree with the Jimmys vs Joes argument.

If that were the case, SOS and everyone would know about that well and I mean well before this game and should have been coaching/game planning for this for a
while. By what I saw on the field, that did not occur.

They may have better players, but the gap in talent was not that wide...

To give this argument completely forgives the coaching of this team.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #42
SC_GAMECOCK
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
SC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post

If that were the case, SOS and everyone would know about that well and I mean well before this game and should have been coaching/game planning for this for a

The gap in talent IS that different. Are you serious? They have a bunch of 6' 4'' receivers that are solid muscle running 4.4's. An offensive line that probably has at least three future NFL players on it. Just look at their players compared to USC's. I'm also sick of hearing how good of a coach Shawn Elliot is. The o-line hasn't gotten any better since he's been here. His players are finally in the system and on paper they look great, but what happened last night? TAMU was one of the worst teams in the country on defense last year, now they look like all-americans. If you think there isn't a gap in talent, you're blind.
SC_GAMECOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #43
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I didn't say there wasn't a gap in talent, but that is not the only reason for what we saw. Gaps in talent do not automatically mean a loss

And if there is a gap in talent, how can we explain our wins over Bama, Florida and other teams from years past?
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #44
SC_GAMECOCK
Walk On

Male

SC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervousSC_GAMECOCK is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I didn't say there wasn't a gap in talent, but that is not the only reason for what we saw. Gaps in talent do not automatically mean a loss

And if there is a gap in talent, how can we explain our wins over Bama, Florida and other teams from years past?
Because USC had MAJOR talent then. From 2010 when USC beat Bama, here are some names on the team(you might recognize many of them are now in the NFL)

Marcus Lattimore
Patrick Dimarco
Bruce Ellington
Alshon Jeffery
Ace Sanders
Melvin Ingram
Travian Robertson
Devin Taylor
Chaz Sutton
Antonio Allen
Stephon Gilmore
Devonte Holloman
DJ Swearinger
Spencer Lanning

That's all from just the 2010 team, all but one I believe are currently in the NFL. There are what, two or three players who might go in the NFL on this team right now.
SC_GAMECOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #45
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 918
treyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his claws

Well Whammy you were wrong. I would take that 2010 Defense over this one, even two years from now.
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #46
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:

There was nothing and I mean nothing schematically that could've been adjusted to stop aTm last night. They just had better players that our guys couldn't match up with. That's fact.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #47
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

They had a great OL, and incredible WR's.

We had a DL patched together and young DBs...didn't the freshman DB's miss some of camp due to the NCAA as well?

No wonder we're recruting JuCo's.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #48
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
There was nothing and I mean nothing schematically that could've been adjusted to stop aTm last night. They just had better players that our guys couldn't match up with. That's fact.
Well I watched the game through the end of the 3rd quarter. Just as a guess right now I think A&M loses to Alabama and Auburn (both road games).

I have a hunch they lose to LSU at home, and possibilities of losses at Mississippi State and at home to Mississippi.

We didn't take advantage of it, but there are a lot of holes in that defense that weren't exposed last night (and I'm not talking about the long ball).

Their defense is going to look like ours did last night when they play Auburn. And their offense isn't going to look nearly as good against LSU and Alabama.

I think true power running teams are going to do very well against that defense, whether if you do it in the I like Alabama and LSU, or with a spread like Auburn and Mississippi State.

Guess it depends on how good Kenny Hill actually is. Last night it looked like a scrimmage for him. LSU and Alabama both have the athletes to deal with their talent, and they are going to be in a scoreathon with Auburn. He might be the next Winston, but usually guys have some mistakes in them the first time they are starting. It's just that he was never in a situation where he plausibly might make a mistake. The receivers were open all night, he had plenty of time to throw the ball, the receivers were giants compared to the db's, and the running game was clicking.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #49
NAGamecockFan
Philippians 4:13

Male

NAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spurs

Quote:

The gap in talent IS that wide AND the coaching stinks...
NAGamecockFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #50
kevhugh
Bowl MVP

Male

kevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurs

Give Cover2 credit, most people on this board don't WANT to believe that it's a talent gap. If it's schematic it can be fixed this week and we can get rolling. If it's talent there's nothing we can do but sit around and "wait until next year." (or the next, or the next....)
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #51
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

How can this be when I was told time and again that we don't recruit stars, stars mean nothing, and that we were recruiting to fill our needs?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #52
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Spot on.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #53
thekob
Household Name

Male

thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:

I think you're right. The gaps in talent reared their ugly head where our weaknesses were, specifically in the secondary and on the DL.

It doesn't explain it all though. Not sure why our OL isn't more dominant. We are forever in search of a run game....it seems if we want anything resembling one, we have to get an out-of-this-world prospect and expect him to do it all on his own without any OL push.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #54
gromweat
Walk On

Male

gromweat has hatched from the shell

no question they played better than we did, but I still do not buy the talent argument. That is way to easy to give the coaches a pass. I counted 8 4 star athletes that we had play on defense at one point or another in the game last night. We will never recruit better than that. So if there is a talent issue, it is still a coaching issue as they cant pick the right 4 star athletes. Bad tackling = bad coaching. Not pressing on quick passes = dinked to death. No doubt this was a bad game, but these guys will get better.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #55
thekob
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
How can this be when I was told time and again that we don't recruit stars, stars mean nothing, and that we were recruiting to fill our needs?
Because, due to unexpected attrition and academic issues for the incoming recruiting class (including our freshman DB's that we are counting on this year missing some practices due to the NCAA) our needs weren't met.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #56
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

If it is talent, then things are never going to get better.

We are recruiting better than we ever have, and honestly are pretty much at our ceiling as far as being able to recruit star players. Well barring getting a recruiting machine coach like Saban or Franklin.

But come on. We have all watched a lot of college games. We've seen the Boise States beat the big boys, the Louisvilles upset Florida's.

It's not all talent, because otherwise we pencil in Alabama as NC every year, and then it happens. But it doesn't work that way. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn't.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #57
gromweat
Walk On

Male

gromweat has hatched from the shell

sunbeam, dead on. We have never had that many highly recruited guys on defense as we did last night. Yes they were bad, but if you believe in star ratings, than we fielded as good a defense as we ever will.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #58
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
What? That doesn't make even sense. What adjustments were made at halftime. Personally, I saw none.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #59
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhugh View Post
Give Cover2 credit, most people on this board don't WANT to believe that it's a talent gap. If it's schematic it can be fixed this week and we can get rolling. If it's talent there's nothing we can do but sit around and "wait until next year." (or the next, or the next....)
Agreed. Keep telling yourselves it's not talent.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #60
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
What? That doesn't make even sense. What adjustments were made at halftime. Personally, I saw none.
Haha...the only halftime "adjustment" was Will Sport in at RG for a lost/confused/overmatched C converted to starting RG after Matulis injury.

BTW-we did have better running success to the right side w/ Wilds in the 2nd half.

GO COCKS!!