CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
l^l^lBGCock
Ericvol2096
smoovecock
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
gamecockgal
jellafever
kingoftheroost
A. Pilgrim
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (3170)
SEC QB's in the Red (1009)
Little know stat (We (1005)
Where do you like to (585)
We're going to the N (547)
Interesting quotes f (448)
Have you ever been s (418)
Amelia Earhart Plane (381)
Tennessee Offense Br (335)
This season and recr (260)
Interesting quotes from D
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi
We're going to the NCAA T
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
Have you ever been so wro
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Lose to Clemson, or to Te
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr

Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #41
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material
Default Re: So, Dylan Thompson?

his pick was a terrible play call...3rd and 1...seems reasonable to throw deep

dylan played about as well as his offensive line allowed though he always seems to throw without setting his feet... He threw some balls high but when your defense is like a screen door it puts a lot of strain on the shoulders of the quarterback especially when your stud RB is doing nothing and the run game is completely abandoned early in the game.
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #42
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I don't think Spurrier had any intention of Dylan throwing deep on 3rd and 1. That looked more like a panic decision.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #43
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
He needs some sort of running game. He is not going to win many ball games without one.

I thought he was OK all things considered.
I agree with you, but I know you're smart enough to realize that the (lack of) defense put us in a position where we had to do some high risk things on offense to try and keep up.

Honestly, I think the coaching staff panicked when we got down 10.

Edit Lol at what C2 posted while I was posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't think Spurrier had any intention of Dylan throwing deep on 3rd and 1. That looked more like a panic decision.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #44
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

The thing that disappointed me the most was he still has a tendency to throw high. His deep passes are certainly a plus, but the INT was a under throw and inside on what should have been a td on a well thrown ball.
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #45
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
There's a reason he hasn't started until this year.

Good point usc90grad. Allow me to retort.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #46
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Peyton Manning as our QB could not of won that game last night with our defense.

He would of had 5 TDs if Nicky didn't drop that 1 before halftime. Nick even admitted it post game he coasted
I think we may have won with Peyton...
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #47
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
I think we may have won with Peyton...
Can Peyton play Cornerback or D-line?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #48
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Some shady mechanics, arm strength looked a little off. All things considering it wasn't completely terrible.
kabercr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #49
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Good point usc90grad. Allow me to retort.
Forgot about the Missouri game last year, did we?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #50
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Can Peyton play Cornerback or D-line?
Probably so on this team or at least on the two deep.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #51
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

How can anyone be ready to mail it in after the first game? Did anyone honestly believe we were headed for a National Championship? That is pretty much the only thing that was put in jeopardy with that loss. Even then we still have a shot at ending up with one of the 4 slots with an SEC Championship. Not saying we are contenders, just saying this season has only started. If we end up .500 after mid-season, yeah let Mitch get some snaps. But right now, you stick with your best chance to win a SEC championship.

The first games of the season are generally NOT a good indication of what your team can actually accomplish.

It's how well you progress as a unit over the first few weeks that truly shape your season.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #52
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Hopefully they can work some shorter passes into his repertoire. I've never seen us throw so many bombs.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #53
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Forgot about the Missouri game last year, did we?

Forgot about Dylan's performance in that game or why he started that game, did we?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #54
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
How can anyone be ready to mail it in after the first game? Did anyone honestly believe we were headed for a National Championship? That is pretty much the only thing that was put in jeopardy with that loss. Even then we still have a shot at ending up with one of the 4 slots with an SEC Championship. Not saying we are contenders, just saying this season has only started. If we end up .500 after mid-season, yeah let Mitch get some snaps. But right now, you stick with your best chance to win a SEC championship.

The first games of the season are generally NOT a good indication of what your team can actually accomplish.

It's how well you progress as a unit over the first few weeks that truly shape your season.
We have a A LOT of progressing to do just to be competitive. Can you imagine how badly UGA will violate our DL if we aren't vastly improved????? They'll need to call the Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #55
Cocky chick
Blue Chip

Female

Cocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot material

Extremely inconsistent. Hopefully it was just first game jitters - otherwise we are in deep doo doo.
Cocky chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #56
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post

Completely agree with your initial statement. Which is why we should never schedule an SEC opponent to open the season. What happened to opening with a cupcake to work the kinks out?

Having said that, our D was horrendous last week and I don't think we have the coaching or talent there. I don't see how that's going to drastically turn around after the first few weeks, especially considering our schedule. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this is a far cry from the Gamecock teams we're used to from the last few years. No effort, no leader.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #57
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Completely agree with your initial statement. Which is why we should never schedule an SEC opponent to open the season. What happened to opening with a cupcake to work the kinks out?

Having said that, our D was horrendous last week and I don't think we have the coaching or talent there. I don't see how that's going to drastically turn around after the first few weeks, especially considering our schedule. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this is a far cry from the Gamecock teams we're used to from the last few years. No effort, no leader.
Exactly. Normally if the defense struggled, it would be one aspect of it. Last night there was literally nothing positive to say about any aspect of the defense. From the fundamentals up, everything needs a LOT of work. I'm just not sure how to turn that around in 2 weeks.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #58
usc51
Household Name

Male

usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
DT had some bad throws (he was missing high most of the night), but then he put some balls in great spots as well... Nick Jones should have held on to that TD throw late in the 2nd quarter... that was a perfect pass..

But overall, DT was sub-par (IMO)...
That wasn't a perfect pass. It was very accurate but because Dylan had no velocity on the ball the safety had plenty of time to come make the hit. If he would have put something behind the throw, Jones would have had it before the safety was within 5 yards of him.

Dylan wasn't bad but he wasn't good enough to win last night even with an average defensive performance. We had 11 possessions last night and scored only four times. That's not completely his fault but he definitely is a part of it. He is an okay quarterback. He won't go and win us any games (i.e. Shaw's performances against Missouri or Wisconsin last year) but he won't go and lose us many games either (i.e. Garcia against Iowa, FSU, etc).
Old 08-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #59
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
his pick was a terrible play call...3rd and 1...seems reasonable to throw deep

dylan played about as well as his offensive line allowed though he always seems to throw without setting his feet... He threw some balls high but when your defense is like a screen door it puts a lot of strain on the shoulders of the quarterback especially when your stud RB is doing nothing and the run game is completely abandoned early in the game.

You are talking about the one where Shaq Roland was wide open and thompson threw a terrible pass that got picked right? I don't have a problem with the call. It was there, DT couldn't deliver.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #60
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb

DT was 20-40...he completes just 5 more passes and he is at 62.5%. 2 for sure were just dropped. So, 3 passes out of 40 and then we aren't complaining about his completion %. Sounds pretty stupid. I'm sure DT would say he made some bad throws but my point is, he isn't our problem. Let's move on to ECU and hope between today and next Sat we find some defensive players that can tackle.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote