CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Gamecocks1137
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2086)
Have you ever been s (1313)
Tennessee Offense Br (830)
Key for 2015 defense (802)
Women's Team Ranked (534)
Skai Moore out for U (488)
This season and recr (449)
Lebron makes Clevela (355)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (244)
For all the uniform (205)
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In

Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
ChickenButt
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
ChickenButt has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Is anybody still optimistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetheart32 View Post
Let's just hope aTm looks like the team we played last night all season long so that by the end of the season we are just another team they embarrassed.
I'm hoping for a rematch in Atlanta.
ChickenButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #42
ChickenButt
Recruit

Male

ChickenButt has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
My optimism lies in the belief that things can't get any worse.
You haven't been a Carolina fan for very long, have you? Believe me, things can get much, much worse...
ChickenButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #43
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

garnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenButt View Post
I'm hoping for a rematch in Atlanta.
We really don't match up well against them. I'd rather have auburn. Let's not be too optimistic and put ourselves in the game when we don't know squat about the team yet.
garnetheart32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

We've got a LOT of work to do, but we started out worse in 2005 and finished strong. It was a fun season overall. We need to stack 2 or three really strong recruiting classes again to sustain the program.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #45
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

My only optimism is that it can only get better from here.
The defense cannot play any worse than they did Thursday.

As for this season...my SEC or bust mantra is out the window...we aren't winning with this defense. The sad part is I thought with this much experience coming back, we would field a solid TEAM. But right now we have a decent offense and beyond piss poor defense.

I'm not ready to throw out hte season, but if ECU comes in here and does similar to what TAMU did, we might as well say "Wait till next year."

Our only consolation is that TAMU has a VERY GOOD offensive line, and it may be the best we see all year. Again, true judge will be next two weeks. If we start 0-3, might as well forget this season and any goals we had in the preseason.

That isn't being negative, that is being truthful...we thought SEC championship this year, and a loss to UGA ends most hope of making the title game.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #46
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
You haven't been a Carolina fan for very long, have you? Believe me, things can get much, much worse...
I don't know...last night's D was about on par with the 0-21 squads.
Two-time National Champs

Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #47
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Cocks N Stuff has hatched from the shell

Here's the deal. We attempted to use a soft 3-4 defense against a team with a great OL loaded with 5 star skill players. It's upsetting, but we really do not know how this team will look once we revert back to the 4-2-5, which I fully expect us to be doing from here on out unless Ward wants to start looking for another job. The offense did not look great either, but TAMU's defense looked vastly improved also. My assessment is that TAMU is a damn good football team and I fully expect them to compete for the toughest division in football this year and maybe even more. The performance that we saw yesterday was not just a defense shitting the bed. It was also a LOADED and SHARP offense. Our team is not nearly as talented and our schemes were poor. It was also game 1 and, in typical Gamecock fashion, we played like it was game 1. At this point, my expectations for this team are nill. I cannot expect to beat any D1 team on our schedule at this point, so any W is a plus from here on out as far as I am concerned. That said, UGA is NOT TAMU in any shape or form, and I think we have a good chance at bouncing back in Week 3 and reestablishing ourselves as a contender for the division. This was a horrible loss and we are definitely in for a new look Gamecock team this year. We are going to take our lumps, but hell if I am going to be a bitch about it.
Cocks N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #48
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I'm always optimistic, it's my nature.

But there are some serious, for real problems on that defense.
That is just being real.
I'm hoping for improvement next week...just how much we will see I have no idea.
Two-time National Champs

Old 08-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #49
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks N Stuff View Post
Here's the deal. We attempted to use a soft 3-4 defense against a team with a great OL loaded with 5 star skill players. It's upsetting, but we really do not know how this team will look once we revert back to the 4-2-5, which I fully expect us to be doing from here on out unless Ward wants to start looking for another job. The offense did not look great either, but TAMU's defense looked vastly improved also. My assessment is that TAMU is a damn good football team and I fully expect them to compete for the toughest division in football this year. Our team is not nearly as talented and our schemes were poor. It was also game 1 and, in typical Gamecock fashion, we played like it was game 1. At this point, my expectations for this team are nill. I cannot expect to beat any D1 team on our schedule at this point, so any W is a plus from here on out as far as I am concerned. That said, UGA is NOT TAMU in any shape or form, and I think we have a good chance at bouncing back in Week 3 and reestablishing ourselves as a contender for the division. This was a horrible loss and we are definitely in for a new look Gamecock team this year. We are going to take our lumps, but hell if I am going to be a bitch about it.
You do bring up good points...ECU is not TAMU, and we should have better talent. If our D can stop them though, I still have my doubts.

This may be a year where we have to win shootouts.

And you are right, UGA is not TAMU...we don't know what UGA is...but I have a feeling they are going to try to run it down our throats, an area our D also struggled.

We may just need to accept that our best defensive talent is in the next recruiting class on the Dline, and like I said, we may just have to be a shootout team this year
Two-time National Champs

Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #50
jseal777
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1450
jseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his combjseal777 is developing his comb

I believe if you look back, most of their yards, and nearly all of their third down conversions, came from missed tackles and bad angles in open field. We could not corral the ball carrier for anything last night because these young guys can't pick angles and weren't playing aggressive enough to light anybody up.

I think if we wrap guys up and limit the space their guys had in the open field and maybe light up kenny hill once, we could have been a lot more competitive last night. Our guys were in position most of the game to make a play or a big stop. Even had two possible interceptions that couldn't work out because we weren't playing aggressive enough and head hunting. If the coaches can show these guys the film from last night and fix the angle problem, which has more to do with coaching and fundamentals than it does with actual talent, this defense could be competitive. And honestly that is all we need from the defense this year.

If this defense can keep us out of a hole early in games and let the offense play its game, letting davis and wilds crush up the middle gaps behind that line and let dylan keep the defense honest with those bombs to Byrd and Jones, we should be able to keep the other team off the field and stop the bleeding enough to pull through with a few big games this year and maybe stumble into an SECE championship.

All that said, if we end up in atlanta at the end of the year, I do not want to play these guys again.
jseal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #51
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Optimism is hard today.

Our D played so poorly that we look like we have a bad defense, not merely just had a bad game. It wasn't like one or two guys were getting beat all night. It was a complete team breakdown. They were all bad. If we have a similar game next week, ECU will score 40+ and the offense will struggle to keep up.

Cause for optimism lies in the "ifs":
If one part of the defense (pass rush, coverage, etc) becomes good enough to cause some stops, then I think Dylan and the offense can potentially outscore some folks, potentially resulting in somewhere around an 8 win season.
If the defense can get good in multiple areas, then I think we have a shot to be in position to win the East still. But judging from the actual game last night, those are pretty big ifs.

However, if the defense that played last night is who our defense is this year, then I just hope we make a bowl. Feels like old times (and I don't like it).
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #52
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Somebody on Defense needs to step up and take the torch. We need a leader on that side of the ball and fast. There were parts of the game where it didn't look like the effort was there. We need a player on that side of the ball that can bring some pride to that unit and hold some guys accountable and help them along.

I don't know who that guy is. You would think Williams since he is a senior or Moore.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #53
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

garnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
You do bring up good points...ECU is not TAMU, and we should have better talent. If our D can stop them though, I still have my doubts.

And you are right, UGA is not TAMU...we don't know what UGA is...but I have a feeling they are going to try to run it down our throats, an area our D also struggled.

We may just need to accept that our best defensive talent is in the next recruiting class on the Dline, and like I said, we may just have to be a shootout team this year
At least they score less running it down our throats.
garnetheart32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #54
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Well for all we know aTm is this years Fla St. I will remain cautiously optimistic until after the Georgia game. Ward is going to need to fix what he can of the defense whether it be going back to the 4-3 or just simplifying the playbook. But right now the offense had better be able to score A LOT of points or we could be in for a long season.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #55
cocknfire843
Recruit

Male

cocknfire843 has hatched from the shell

Wow what did you put in your pipe and smoke... There is every reason to blame the coaching staff. You must of watched a rerun of a different game or was hammered when you watched the game it was pretty terrible.
cocknfire843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #56
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Haha, I was just saying that I'm not sure the defense can get much worse than it was last night.

But you're right, I've only been a Carolina fan since 2008, when I started going to USC. I've never really known the pain that I felt I felt last night because I grew up in a Georgia household and then enjoyed these last 7 years of general Gamecock prosperity.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #57
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Cocks N Stuff has hatched from the shell

We ran into an offense that was an absolute buzzsaw. I think that a power run/pro style team is going to be a different game for us... i.e. UGA and UF. Auburn scares me as well, but Auburn is sort of the inverse of TAMU. They run run run pass. I personally think we are better suited against the run than the pass at this point in time due to our green corners and lack of pass rush. Mizzou's offense could be a bad matchup for us this year. Other than that, we really don't know what to expect because we don't know what exactly the defensive changes that are more than likely going to be made are going to look like. Good news is the East basically sucks and may suck worse than us this year.
Cocks N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #58
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

If we play primarily a 3-4 against UGA, our coaches should be fired immediately after the game. Our defense has always played well against UGA. Yes, we gave up 41 last year but that was due to poor tackling and inexperienced LBs. UGA runs more of a pro style offense with a drop back passer (they don't run a read option offense). A 4-3 defense works better against them, especially since they want to run the ball.

If we run the 3-4 against them, Gurley might run for 300 yards and heads better roll. I don't know a lot about football but even I'm smart enough to know how we need to line up against UGA.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #59
MitchConners
Recruit

Male

MitchConners has feathers coming inMitchConners has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
I blame it on the lack of a "Don't underestimate Texas A&M" thread.
Which 1 play are you talking about?
MitchConners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #60
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't know...last night's D was about on par with the 0-21 squads.

Holtz's first year (0-11) our defense played pretty damn good, great if you factor in the complete train wreck we had for an offense. Last night was pathetic beyond words and it could only get worse by literally going a complete game & never getting a stop. It really was that bad
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote