CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
taylorssc
Outland
gocockswyn
B-G
ktguen
usc1
Latt7more
How do you want Aubu (2485)
Does South Carolina (1374)
Lorenzo Nunez (853)
Incoming Class (750)
Rest of the season p (727)
Tennessee Game Time (590)
Tennessee kickoff an (503)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (442)
Peyton Manning break (357)
Is Clowney back toni (295)
2016 - Issac Nauta
Nick Saban on frustration
Just thought of something
Tennessee kickoff announc
Lorenzo Nunez
2015 Commitment - Zack Ba
Thoughts on the basketbal
Is Clowney back tonight..
Bruce Ellington's First T
How do you want Auburn to

Old 08-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #121
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material
Default Re: So, Dylan Thompson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I agree with you, but I know you're smart enough to realize that the (lack of) defense put us in a position where we had to do some high risk things on offense to try and keep up.

Honestly, I think the coaching staff panicked when we got down 10.

Edit Lol at what C2 posted while I was posting.
10? They hit panic mode when it was 7-0, just look at the play calling the first series: Pass, Pass, Pass (Interference called), 2 yard run, -1 yard run, Pass. Should have been 3 and out without the interference call.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #122
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
10? They hit panic mode when it was 7-0, just look at the play calling the first series: Pass, Pass, Pass (Interference called), 2 yard run, -1 yard run, Pass. Should have been 3 and out without the interference call.
The worst thing you can do for a struggling defense is keep them on the field and the offense did just that. Only two drives of more than 7 plays and 3:00 minutes.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #123
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
I do think the overwhelming ease with A&M moved the ball on the first series was very alarming. We knew at that point that we were in for a tussle. I mean, think about it, never in all of our history...not even in the 1-21 back-to-back seasons...have we had such a bad defensive showing. So even though the score was just 7-0, I think the offense felt an extreme sense of urgency to score because they knew A&M would score at will.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #124
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
The worst thing you can do for a struggling defense is keep them on the field and the offense did just that. Only two drives of more than 7 plays and 3:00 minutes.
It was like the coaching staff decided as soon as A&M scored that we would have to play them in a shoot out. No attempt to even slow the game down and let our guys settle in.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #125
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

QB efficiency keeps us on the field and they don't get 99 plays off or score 52 points. We all knew they would score. But our offense not being efficient helped out greatly.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #126
ABATTBQ11
Recruit

Male

ABATTBQ11 is learning to peckABATTBQ11 is learning to peck

Not to toot our own horn, but I think Spurrier realized pretty early what our offense was capable of. We moved down the field fairly easily on our first drive, and I think he realized that keeping the ball on the ground and controlling the clock would only be an option if he could keep it close. Sumlin always wants the ball first to get out ahead and set the tempo by making opponents play from behind. It's how he keeps other teams from slowing down the game and chewing up the clock.

Edit: Same was posted above as I was typing. I think Kenny Hill going 4/5 on the first drive was an, "Oh ****!" moment.
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #127
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABATTBQ11 View Post
Not to toot our own horn, but I think Spurrier realized pretty early what our offense was capable of. We moved down the field fairly easily on our first drive, and I think he realized that keeping the ball on the ground and controlling the clock would only be an option if he could keep it close. Sumlin always wants the ball first to get out ahead and set the tempo by making opponents play from behind. It's how he keeps other teams from slowing down the game and chewing up the clock.
Yeah, but when it is still a one possession game, you have to make an attempt. Calling 3 passes just because a team "could" score a lot is stupid coaching. It helped them score that much.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #128
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Yeah, I don't pin this loss on the offense, but it was definitely mismanaged. The reason we've beaten teams like this in the past (Clemson, UNC, ECU) is because we went into ball control mode and limited their ability to see the field. Last night we abandoned our identity and allowed ourselves to get sucked into exactly the kind of game A&M wanted.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #129
ABATTBQ11
Recruit

Male

ABATTBQ11 is learning to peckABATTBQ11 is learning to peck

Quote:
Yeah, but when it is still a one possession game, you have to make an attempt. Calling 3 passes just because a team "could" score a lot is stupid coaching. It helped them score that much.
I think Spurrier saw the writing on the wall in the secondary and knew it would become a two possession game if he didn't score. He should have kept it on the ground to start, but I don't blame him. Hell, even when he went to the ground after the PI call, he still ended up with a third and long after two rushes. Thompson has to make that 3rd and 9 pass, and he couldn't do that consistently.
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #130
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
That wasn't always the case. Nick Jones' drop was a result of the ball being lobbed which allowed the safety to close the gap and hit Jones to knock the ball loose.
A dropped pass tucked into three points of contact is not the QB's fault. Football is a contact sport.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #131
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
A dropped pass tucked into three points of contact is not the QB's fault. Football is a contact sport.
Exactly, Jones didn't put it away
Old 08-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #132
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

This loss falls purely on the defense it was not the offense that gave up 52 points. It's hard to judge Dylan and the offense since they had to play catch up for the entire game taking us out of our game plan.

Dylan didn't play bad at all but he didn't play great either. He was a dropped pass away from 7 points right before the half and there were plenty of other drops as well. Dylan can make throws that are just jaw dropping beautiful but he was far too inconsistent. 50% completion rating won't win you a lot of games in the SEC. He has to make better decisions, that interception on 3rd and 1 falls completely on him. It is way too soon to start calling for the backup but Spurrier had better pick a #2 guy and start giving him plenty of reps just in case.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #133
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I'm not trying to say Dylan was the reason for the loss, but I'm not exactly excited about our qb play.

However, It's kind of what I expected with a 5th year senior who is just starting. He's our Joe Cox.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #134
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

We tried to run it a few times early and were getting stuffed. But yeah, we maybe should have stuck with it, I dunno. Hard to do much when both lines get dominated.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #135
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
This loss falls purely on the defense it was not the offense that gave up 52 points. It's hard to judge Dylan and the offense since they had to play catch up for the entire game taking us out of our game plan.

Dylan didn't play bad at all but he didn't play great either. He was a dropped pass away from 7 points right before the half and there were plenty of other drops as well. Dylan can make throws that are just jaw dropping beautiful but he was far too inconsistent. 50% completion rating won't win you a lot of games in the SEC. He has to make better decisions, that interception on 3rd and 1 falls completely on him. It is way too soon to start calling for the backup but Spurrier had better pick a #2 guy and start giving him plenty of reps just in case.
He needs to learn to throw the ball away rather than run out of bounds or commit grounding penalties. Of course, throwing the ball away will lower his completion percentage.

He's not all bad and he's not all good. That about sums DT up. He's Ok. If there's not a better-than-OK quarterback on the roster, then that's not his fault. He's doing the best he can.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #136
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
All I know that if we keep playing like last night I will be an alcoholic by the end of the season
End of the season?

End of the season???

Half of this board will be dead from alcohol poisoning by the end of the third game if we keep playing like this.

The other half will be ecstatic because it will give them something to bitch about.

---------

On a more serious note, some put too much on the QB. Football is a team sport. A QB's rating is dependent upon his performance, but, it is also dependent upon getting protection, receivers catching and holding onto the ball, the defense getting the offense the ball, good play calling...a number of things. Dylan could have done some things better, but he isn't what should be concerning today. An offensive line that is only offensive to us, a defense that was horrendous...terrible...non-existent, a running back that might should have been playing... There are things that we should be worrying about today, but Dylan is way down that list.

And I can't believe the number of people that think this season is over after one game. One admittedly horrible game, but one game. Mind boggling.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #137
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
He needs to learn to throw the ball away rather than run out of bounds or commit grounding penalties. Of course, throwing the ball away will lower his completion percentage.
Connor Shaw was guilty of that now and then but no one was ready to bench him. And I highly doubt that Dylan is thinking about his completion rating when running for his life.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #138
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
I'm a firm believer of when a ball hits your hands you should bring it in but if that ball is ripped and not lobbed then Jones doesn't slow down and allow the defender to catch up.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #139
Cockyteg
Blue Chip

Male

Cockyteg is learning to peck

still looks like a scared little girl out there. had highs and lows probably should've let him play more last year.
Cockyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #140
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Connor Shaw was guilty of that now and then but no one was ready to bench him. And I highly doubt that Dylan is thinking about his completion rating when running for his life.
Did you not read websites or listen to radio. There were people on this site who were giddy when Shaw got hurt because Dylan was gonna play now.