CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Yearofthegamecock
gamecock88
TAFC 5 1981
LeeSC
SpurProsecutor
Kentucky prediction (1976)
Just Booked my Hotel (1330)
Best position coach (693)
So What? (663)
The New Idea That'll (651)
Waldrop doubtful for (583)
We Have A New KO Guy (458)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (386)
So What? (245)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (238)
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
If we loose to Kensucky..
Thoughts on the basketbal
Best position coach or co
What fish do you eat
I'm over the loss, but...
Kentucky prediction
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
UK promoting a blackout f
Looking for 2 for Kentuck

View Poll Results: Which opening game scenario is worse?
Option A: Getting blown out in a conference home opener 2 18.18%
Option B: Barely losing to an FCS team 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material
Default Which is a worse loss to open the season?

Last night was awful, shocking and embarrassing. But could it be worse? Trying to help people lighten up, because this took my mind off of the loss for a little bit.

For the first game of the season, which of these two options is the worst scenario?

Option A:
See last night. 11 point favorite playing at home in a conference game. Get your doors blown off and lose by 24. Start 0-1 with a conference loss.

Option B:
35 point favorite, playing at home in a non-conference game against an FCS opponent. (The exact scenario Michigan was in against App State). Lose by a field goal. Start 0-1 but no conference loss.

I think that either type of loss makes a run at a playoff birth pretty much out of reach. Option A puts you behind in the conference race, and while Option B doesn't, I believe it is far more embarrassing.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: Which is a worse loss to open the season?

Or Option C: Getting blown out at home by a non conference opponent who plays in the AAC (see Vanderbilt)
Old 08-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

B --- Even if you go undefeated in conference, if there is another team with same record the FCS opponent will kill any chance.

Say, and I will bet this will never happen, we go undefeated the rest of the year and win division, this opening game will be a distant memory and we will likely get chosen over a team with the same record.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
ChickenButt
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
ChickenButt has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Or Option C: Getting blown out at home by a non conference opponent who plays in the AAC (see Vanderbilt)
My thoughts exactly, Vandy getting crushed by Temple is just inexcusable.
ChickenButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
B --- Even if you go undefeated in conference, if there is another team with same record the FCS opponent will kill any chance.

Say, and I will bet this will never happen, we go undefeated the rest of the year and win division, this opening game will be a distant memory and we will likely get chosen over a team with the same record.
That is what is most depressing. We have never won 11 games in a row. And after last night, there is no way we can do that this season.

As I've been telling people out here, college football is the only sport where your season (or shot at a championship) can end after the first week.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

I think I like the "rather lose to clemson and win the SEC vs. beat clemson" conundrum better.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
I think I like the "rather lose to clemson and win the SEC vs. beat clemson" conundrum better.
Oh how I wish we could have that discussion instead.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
That is what is most depressing. We have never won 11 games in a row. And after last night, there is no way we can do that this season.

As I've been telling people out here, college football is the only sport where your season (or shot at a championship) can end after the first week.
Technically it's still possible to have a 14-1 season. Technically.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Getting blown out at home by a ranked conference opponent is super embarrassing, especially if said team is ranked higher.

Losing to an FCS team is another level of embarrassment.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

The loss and the margin are meh. The complete inability to even slow them down on defense is/was deeply troubling.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Technically it's still possible to have a 14-1 season. Technically.
Of course it is. Yet we've never done it before and with the way we played last night, I don't think winning 11 straight is going to start this season. Just call it a hunch.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

I think everyone is overlooking the fact, that that is a very good football team.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote