CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
JerseyBird
2000grad
kingoftheroost
MountainCock
CockyLifer
b381l
CoverTwo
ZenUSC
Morris to SMU (4178)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1627)
Clemson fans (1052)
Carolina on a Walmar (992)
Game simulation (748)
End of the aTm / LSU (368)
Have we been favored (328)
Origin Sale Too (226)
Women's Soccer Elite (158)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Constant Updates on Watso
Bailey's life hack for Ol
Morris to SMU
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Texans getting frustrated
Clemson fans
Black Friday Hard Copy di
End of the aTm / LSU game

Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
bmcc4usc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
bmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spurs
Default David Williams??

Since Spurrier has been here he seems to favor tenure over talent. Why did we see Wilds and Carson but no Williams? Wilds did OK, Carson is too small. But all I heard for the past year was Williams was a four star yet he never saw the field. Is he hurt? If I had one gripe about SOS since he has been here is he never plays all the running backs or lets any of them get in to a rhythm. We have depth why not use it?

Guess my biggest question will be has Williams been so bad that he can't play or is this SOS being to loyal to upperclassmen while neglecting the more talented underclassmen?

Too bad thats not purple and orange
bmcc4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit
Default Re: David Williams??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcc4usc View Post
Since Spurrier has been here he seems to favor tenure over talent. Why did we see Wilds and Carson but no Williams? Wilds did OK, Carson is too small. But all I heard for the past year was Williams was a four star yet he never saw the field. Is he hurt? If I had one gripe about SOS since he has been here is he never plays all the running backs or lets any of them get in to a rhythm. We have depth why not use it?

Guess my biggest question will be has Williams been so bad that he can't play or is this SOS being to loyal to upperclassmen while neglecting the more talented underclassmen?
The was absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have seen Williams in last night. Or some two back sets.

And Carson needs to learn to find a return lane.

In the end...lack of creative play calling, as usual.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i think it boils down to us being down 17 as to why he never got in the game. with us barely running the ball and pass protection and receiving being at a premium i dont believe they ever saw the opportunity to put him in the game in the 2nd half. i dont care if mike is banged up or not, we have no chance to beat good teams with our poor special teams and poor defense to this point without the backs getting the ball a bare minimum 20 times and more likely 25 teams with dylan not being shaw as a runner.

we're going to end up in way too many 3rd and longs and the efficiency is going to go into the toilet.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
kevhugh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

kevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervous

There are plenty of reasons why he didn't play.

1. He is fourth on the depth chart and because we were down and had to throw as much as we did, there simply weren't enough touches to go around.

2. His lack of experience probably led SOS to fear a fumble, something we couldn't afford with the porous defense giving up scores on every possession.
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Bleh, you could have put Marcus back in there and he would have been shut down too. The OL did OK at pass blocking but totally sucked at opening running lanes. The OL sucked almost as much as the DL last night and that is damning indeed.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

It's classic Spurrier.

And the excuse about not running because we were down...we down 3 score with 3 quarters left. It's not like you had to completely abandon a game plan of running the ball.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

i was hoping to see fresh blood just to see if something could happen.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

The excuse that he would have been ineffective is bullshit.

We were down at UCF and the running game is the reason we won.

When you're down by 28 at home in a game like this, you do what you can to get creative and find ways to win. Period.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

We were obviously in pass mode and a younger back is not nearly as valuable as a seasoned back. Aside from that, Brandon Wilds is a much better back than any 4 star in the country right now. You do realize if Wilds were rated as a recruit coming out of high school RIGHT NOW he would be a 5 star, as in potential starter, highly likely to make valuable contributions this year to a D1 program.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
We were obviously in pass mode and a younger back is not nearly as valuable as a seasoned back. Aside from that, Brandon Wilds is a much better back than any 4 star in the country right now. You do realize if Wilds were rated as a recruit coming out of high school RIGHT NOW he would be a 5 star, as in potential starter, highly likely to make valuable contributions this year to a D1 program.
I'm not doubting that Wilds isn't a good back...he is and I hope he tears it up (especially if Davis can't get 100%). But Williams is a weapon that needs to be unleashed.

Hell, put them BOTH in there with a two back set. At least try to confuse the D and make something happen. We were "pass happy" because we got behind and had to get desperate. Better / more creative play calling earlier on would have prevented that.

At the very least, when we knew we weren't going to come back, we could have at least put guys like Williams, Orth, Mitch, Noso, etc... in to let them get some reps. Praying we see them get some reps against ECU one way or another.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

We're obviously trying to double redshirt David Williams.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
lol

This is the only logical explanation I've seen

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
bmcc4usc
4-Star

Male

bmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spursbmcc4usc has earned his spurs

Thanks for the replies, I am not down on Wilds but he is not a premier back and in no way would he be rated higher than 3 star even today. While I know these mean little once they get to school why get the 4 star guy if you're not going to give him a chance. This has always been my one gripe.
SOS has been the best thing to ever happen to USC and I love him but look back over the years, Maddox, Wilds, and Davis all had to wait behind A Lattimore type guy while TAMU last night used at least 4 running backs. You ride on the back of one or two guys you fall on the back of one or two guys.
I am sure SOS and the coaches know something I don't but no one in the press seems to know Williams even exists and that should be one of the first questions asked. That being said we could have Tony Dorsett Randy Moss and John Elway, give up 700 yards you're still going to lose.

Too bad thats not purple and orange
bmcc4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Sometimes Spurrier's stubbornness hurts us. Why we are running four backs out there is beyond me. Or really even 3. I'm not convinced Shon Carson should be getting touches still. That may sound harsh, but he never finds lanes and he did as bad as I've seen us do on kick returns
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

The stars we have had here lately showed promise at some point their freshman year. Let's see who answers the bell after a few more.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhugh View Post
There are plenty of reasons why he didn't play.

1. He is fourth on the depth chart and because we were down and had to throw as much as we did, there simply weren't enough touches to go around.

2. His lack of experience probably led SOS to fear a fumble, something we couldn't afford with the porous defense giving up scores on every possession.
disagree with all of that. we have had unprecedented success over the last four years, with a simple recipe. run the ball mostly, mix in some timely passing, and play tough defense.
at the very least, since we obviously were not going to play tough defense, we needed to run the football to keep their offense off the field.
wilds ran ok, but we were told they would use all four rb's. and they didn't. getting away from our game, is a big part of that meltdown. running the ball, and controlling the clock would have helped that score. it also would have rested our defense, and of course they needed that. there is no excuse for not playing david williams. with an asskicking like that, we should have tried EVERYTHING!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #17
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
why risk playing Williams and chance he could get hurt....nothing to be gained.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #18
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Sometimes Spurrier's stubbornness hurts us. Why we are running four backs out there is beyond me. Or really even 3. I'm not convinced Shon Carson should be getting touches still. That may sound harsh, but he never finds lanes and he did as bad as I've seen us do on kick returns
^this Spurriers stubbornness is our biggest hurdle to doing great things. He is great at most things but he reminds me of hitler in he can't see past hurdles that don't really exist and does what he wants to do rather then what is better.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
disagree with all of that. we have had unprecedented success over the last four years, with a simple recipe. run the ball mostly, mix in some timely passing, and play tough defense.
at the very least, since we obviously were not going to play tough defense, we needed to run the football to keep their offense off the field.
wilds ran ok, but we were told they would use all four rb's. and they didn't. getting away from our game, is a big part of that meltdown. running the ball, and controlling the clock would have helped that score. it also would have rested our defense, and of course they needed that. there is no excuse for not playing david williams. with an asskicking like that, we should have tried EVERYTHING!!!
The general consensus is that with Thompson at QB, SOS would usher in the fun n gun days like they had at Florida. Where the running game existed to set up the passing game. I think we saw, though, that Thompson isn't going to be THAT good and we will probably need to continue the formula you mentioned above.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
Sharky
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 800
Sharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talonsSharky has developed his gaff and talons

Maybe he is not a good blocker. Just a guess.
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote