CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
snruter amabon
Spur's Addiction
HeadCockFan
U-Dub Gamecock
Copperhead
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
GarnetSwarm1990
Black Hole
The Yancey
Can it get any bette (1033)
Auburn Stealing Sign (913)
Funny Golf Story Abo (865)
Defense Tackles (752)
I used to like bush (636)
Boo This Man... (612)
georgia rewind... (575)
Gamecocks Traveling (322)
SEC East vs. SEC Wes (286)
Stay focus (273)
Doniyah Cliney to sit out
Winston
Haven't seen one unbeatab
Good crowd for volleyball
King - South Carolina vs
Auburn looks beatable
**official Vandy predicti
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Stadium improvement idea
Mizzou game late parking/

Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Evilchicken3
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs
Default Priority #1: Teach Tackling Fundamentals

I re-watched the game and counted no less than three dozen missed tackles, whiffs, and poor angles. There were half a dozen plays in which there were 3 or more missed tackles on ONE play. I did notice that in multiple cases the size of the backers had a lot to do with it--size mismatches and such.

Forget the scheme for a second, the ability to tackle was abysmal last night. That is just poor ass coaching, or drills.
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Schark
Recruit

Male

Schark is developing his combSchark is developing his combSchark is developing his combSchark is developing his combSchark is developing his combSchark is developing his combSchark is developing his combSchark is developing his comb
Default Re: Priority #1: Teach Tackling Fundamentals

Has anyone seen what atm's stats were last night for yards after contact? They must be huge. I haven't had a chance to look for it and honestly, I'm still not sure I'm emotionally ready to see how bad it is.
Schark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
roosterdave
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 553
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schark View Post
Has anyone seen what atm's stats were last night for yards after contact? They must be huge. I haven't had a chance to look for it and honestly, I'm still not sure I'm emotionally ready to see how bad it is.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was 0. You have to touch them first to register YAC.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

they don't work on it in the fall , idk why everyone is damn surprised to see that in our opening game. We just didn't open against Vandy, Unc, Ecu, marys school for the blind we met a team with a pulse that wanted to win and got tired of hearing you guys are nothing w/out Manziel. We have to prep better in the fall with fundamentals that is priority one every fall. Coach has to realize times have changed and we need to be physical from the get go.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Evilchicken3
Recruit

Male

Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
they don't work on it in the fall , idk why everyone is damn surprised to see that in our opening game. We just didn't open against Vandy, Unc, Ecu, marys school for the blind we met a team with a pulse that wanted to win and got tired of hearing you guys are nothing w/out Manziel. We have to prep better in the fall with fundamentals that is priority one every fall. Coach has to realize times have changed and we need to be physical from the get go.
Yup. Gotta schedule cupcakes for the opener, or allow hitting in the Fall.
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 View Post
we just need to be more physical in the fall.

They tackled last night like they did in practice not wanting to hurt someone instead of attacking wrapping up and following through. I am a firm believer in you practice like you play and play like you practice.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

We weren't very good tackling last year for many parts of the year. Our players took some terrible angles all game. That's coaching.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
I re-watched the game and counted no less than three dozen missed tackles, whiffs, and poor angles. There were half a dozen plays in which there were 3 or more missed tackles on ONE play. I did notice that in multiple cases the size of the backers had a lot to do with it--size mismatches and such.

Forget the scheme for a second, the ability to tackle was abysmal last night. That is just poor ass coaching, or drills.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

How do you know what the coaches do, and dont, teach / coach?
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

We need guys that can tackle and play in space. Only way you can combat these spread uptempo teams. And right now our DBs and LBs looked horrible doing that.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post

because they admitted it in several pressers. ward said many times that sos will NOT ALLOW THEM TO TACKLE FULL SPEED. how can you teach tackling at half speed. then there is the physical part of it. if you aren't use to getting hit hard, you panic when you finally are. these players NEED a hellishly hard practice, where they hit, hit, hit and then hit. many coaches have said many times, that they want their practices to be so physically draining, that the games appear to be easy by comparison. i believe in that as well. this is a physical game. you can't cupcake around it.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post

They've acknowledged many times they don't hit in practice because they don't want people hurt. You don't learn how to tackle by playing two hand touch.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
we just need to be more physical in the fall.

They tackled last night like they did in practice not wanting to hurt someone instead of attacking wrapping up and following through. I am a firm believer in you practice like you play and play like you practice.
Exactly.

We lay off of hard hitting in practice to avoid injuring each other, but that has a serious effect on timing and aggressiveness.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
Kuhn
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
We weren't very good tackling last year for many parts of the year. Our players took some terrible angles all game. That's coaching.
thank you! I swear to God, my Aunt Ruth who weighed 300+ lbs and has been dead for 20 years could right now do a better job than Botkin has. Our defense is a joke.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

We could very well open up 0-3 this year because if they don't know how to tackle now ECU can and will score a lot and well we all know what Georgia's offense is like. It will be 1 HELL of a long year if these kids don't know how to tackle I blame that on the coaches for even bringing them here in the first place. You learn how to tackle in middle school or prior. I noticed a that they were in position more than I thought they would be with that piece of crap scheme that I saw them lining up in but was appalled by how many times it took 3 guys to tackle 1 guy.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

I would honestly rather see a targeting penalty or two than what we saw last night. One person needs to hit somebody. Show the rest of the team what it looks like and that it's okay to put someone on the ground.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #16
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Some of you posters are coach-bashing, which I don't think is OK on this board. Stating factual observations of what you saw is sometimes helpful in advancing discussion. Broad generalized opinions that bash coaches are just armchair griping which should stay inside the vent threads.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #17
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
I think you mean "hitting in the Summer" since hitting in the Fall wouldn't have done us much good last night.

You're probably right about the need to be more physical in practice; however, we have peaked at the end of the season the last three years. That can't be denied.

I doubt SOS will change at the point in his career, considering the success he has had doing it his way.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #18
Badazcock
Recruit

Male

Badazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervous

Time for some coach Kline logic..Tackling fuel.

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #19
cocknfire843
Recruit

Male

cocknfire843 has hatched from the shell

Last nights game is when seriously we needed a head hunter like DJ. Some one to lay the wood and make the receivers think. It was just pitch and catch out there for sure and running threw arms.
cocknfire843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #20
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Good God, it was flashbacks of Cam Newton...

Make the madness stop...

Lord, do we miss Antonio Allen and Stephon Gilmore.