CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
WeStillOwnUSC
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
Acockolypse Now
Interesting quotes f (2067)
Have you ever been s (1283)
Tennessee Offense Br (812)
Key for 2015 defense (769)
Women's Team Ranked (511)
This season and recr (441)
Skai Moore out for U (435)
Lebron makes Clevela (342)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (235)
For all the uniform (191)
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In

Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #41
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1072
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Confused fan here. Why is SOS ticked about D?

He was ticked about the defense because a frehman QB made offensive history in Spurrier's house on Spurrier's watch.
FanofCarolina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #42
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

You can put a lot of blame on youth and inexperience but the LB's who were supposed to be the strength of the defense looked confused all night. There were gaping holes in the middle of the field all game leaving receivers and tight ends wide open. I guarantee Spurrier's ripping the defense a new one in the film room today.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #43
Garnet Spur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Traffic cones? You thought we played that good?

I did traffic cones that had been run over and knocked in a ditch!!!!
Our D has got to get a mean streak in them and want to hit somebody , we need another DJ Swearinger.

Somebody has to step up and Hit Somebody.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #44
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstick View Post
Cause you're no fan...just a Clempson troll! Get out of here!
I think you're right. Remember, Clemson trolls love most of all to come out after a loss. They like to instigate weak-willed Carolina fans, hoping to induce comments from some of our own denigrating our individual players and coaches. The trolls usually greatly exaggerate the degree of alarm.

Another characteristic, is to try to get a bunch of trolls together to jump on anyone suspicious of their motives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I think Ward mentioned the possible need last night to "go live" in practice. Perhaps our aversion to practice-related injuries was one key reason our second level missed so many tackles last night. Everybody seemed to contain and give ground. I can't remember one serious hit. The DB's and LB's didn't knock hardly anything loose while allowing the catch in front of them. The second level and DB play reminded me of the first half of last year - but without the help of good DL pressure. I counted 4 stops on third down we had, but lost due to missed tackles - sometimes by multiple guys.

Also, let's learn to stop the WR screen with a blocker or develop one of our own. Refs let the blocker block a defender while the pass is in the air behind the line. I think that's offensive pass interference, but they used it on us at least 3 times in critical places.
It is hard to put a finger on it. I saw several times where our defense was in great position to stop the A&M offense. However, the players seemed reluctant to attack the ball carrier, almost like they were more concerned about containment than aggression. It could be the philosophy of being an attacking, hurting, aggressive defense needs to be emphasized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
High school teams could have moved the ball on our D last night. It was really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad.
Here is a good example of what I am talking about. Any sensible fan would realize that A&M is an immensely talented football team, far and away better than anything Clemson has put on the field in the past five years.

On the OP's question, I agree that Spurrier made some weird comments that could be construed as if he were not involved in the defensive planning. But that is not true at all. Spurrier is involved in the defense. I have not doubt he was involved in the plan to try and stop the A&M attack. He and the other coaches did not get it figured out, this Sumlin style. It is a really good plan. Get a fantastic offensive line, and some big tough and fast and quick running backs. Get receivers that are extremely gifted. Spread the team out and distribute the ball to your play makers. Force the other team to try to play a zone or man up with your athletes. As long as you get great athletes and players, the plan will work quite well. So, I think Spurrier is referring to himself as he says multiple times he was outcoached and so forth.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 08-29-2014 at 04:21 PM.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #45
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
Shut up. Being critical of your own team is essential. Being a sunshine pumper helps no one.
18 is a well known Clempson troll with multiple personalities...He'd make Joanna Woodward's character seem like a sane person...
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #46
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

While Spurrier was rightly pissed about the scheme not working, I think he also was questioning the effort on defense as well. I still think our talent level on the defensive line is far below what it has been in past years and the coaches are to blame for that. Maybe if Spurrier would take a more pro-active approach to recruiting we could get a little better players.
As for A&M, I think their O-line is pretty good but our D-line from years past would have owned them. And without their O-line beating our guys like they did, their QB would have had a long night because every time we got anywhere near him (not very many times) he mis-fired.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #47
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

In the game I watched last night, the DL underperformed somewhat in pass rush, but the linebackers/spur/DB's were the ones missing tackles in space. It reminded me of last year when a bunch of folks were blaming the DL (who were schemed against) until it became clear our linebackers were the big problem, aided by safeties who wouldn't close or contain a play completed underneath them. I will try to re-watch and count who missed the tackles (sometimes with help). Was there even one good, tough hit? Players were there, but didn't tackle. The 3-4 really wa vunerable. The only sack was by Dixon44 when they went back to 4-2-5 for a while.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #48
MrED
Recruit

Male

MrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
He's been in all the practices and film sessions, right? Was last night the first he was learning of our new defensive scheme? I love the OBC, but don't call out your defensive coaches when you knew all along what was going on. I find it impossible to believe the D we saw last night could have looked good in practice. The only explanation I can think of is that we're so bad on both sides of the ball that we actually looked good as a team in practice.
The Defense dominated the first scrimmage. he said himself he thought our defense was going to surprise some people. Just my take:

1. I think our defense is going to be average but not worst in the SEC. It will be good enough to win some games.

2. It looked to me like coaches clearly miscalculated both our players abilities and theirs. And that's what you get in a first game. Now we know, and a better game plan will be developed in the future.

3. We actually hung in there pretty well considering. I read somewhere someone posted if we played em 10 times we'd lose all. I don't think so. I think if we played them again next weekend it would be a closer game because we now know what we've got and they've got, AND we know we need to work on TACKLING!

4. Hey, we had some chances to make it a game. I can think of two missed tackles on 3rd down that would've stopped them and basically erased 14 points. What if Nick Jones holds on to the TD pass? That's 3 plays and we are talking about a 3 point game. Then we're not in throw every down mode and the crowd becomes a factor.

5. This is the best Offense we will play this year, guaranteed. Our guys can tackle, just 1st game rust I hope. If they fix that, we'll instantly be much better.

6. As for the pass rush- hopefully, we just faced the best OL in the SEC. But, I am pretty sure this is going to be a season long problem and not much can be done.
MrED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #49
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell

I think TAM just played lights out from bell to bell. No one thought the So. QB was going to be as poised as he was or the offense would be that good post Manziel.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #50
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrED View Post
The Defense dominated the first scrimmage. he said himself he thought our defense was going to surprise some people.
I, for one, was surprised by them.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #51
MrED
Recruit

Male

MrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
I think TAM just played lights out from bell to bell. No one thought the So. QB was going to be as poised as he was or the offense would be that good post Manziel.
Actually, they did.

But frankly, when guys are running wide open without a defender within 10 yards its pretty easy to hit some passes.
MrED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #52
cockyness11
Blue Chip

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
There had to be some indication that the D was THAT BAD though. It's not like they were just slightly worse than everyone thought.
I don't think our defense is terrible as it looked last night. that 3-4 scheme isn't suited for a spread offense like a&m's and more suited for a downhill running offense like Georgia, Lsu, or Alabama. Our offense wasn't clicking for most of the night either and Dylan over threw our receivers 70% of the time as well. Bama runs a 3-4 based defense as well and look how many points the aggies have put up on them the past two years. We just simply don't have the right type of personal to be running our proto typical d we usually run and we haven't recruited the type of players to run this 3-4 scheme neither. Whammy is in a lose, lose situation, but he is trying to place a defensive scheme together that suits our strengths better and that is our linebacker group. Only problem with that is we don't have the massive type dlinemen to seal gaps nor do we have the bigger type dbs to jam wrs or shed blocks to tackle in space. Whammy is kind of sol a bit because we play three more teams that run the same type offense as the aggies and one is coming up next week. I think our talent level alone over ECU should allow us to win, but they will put up points on us if we don't figure something else out.
cockyness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #53
cockyness11
Blue Chip

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
think I could of gone out there and had a pretty good game if I never had to go down my progression either. He literally threw the ball to his first or second read all night and never had to go to his hot route or his check down. Our dbs didn't get a jam on their receivers all night and all the qb was doing was throwing to a spot everytime and their wr was there almost every time. We never disrupted their timing at all. I didn't understand why we kept giving them a 10 yard cushion when they were simply throwing wr screens most of the night. They didn't throw it further then 20 yards more then once or twice so why play off of the wrs like that?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #54
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyness11 View Post
I don't think our defense is terrible as it looked last night. that 3-4 scheme isn't suited for a spread offense like a&m's and more suited for a downhill running offense like Georgia, Lsu, or Alabama. Our offense wasn't clicking for most of the night either and Dylan over threw our receivers 70% of the time as well. Bama runs a 3-4 based defense as well and look how many points the aggies have put up on them the past two years. We just simply don't have the right type of personal to be running our proto typical d we usually run and we haven't recruited the type of players to run this 3-4 scheme neither. Whammy is in a lose, lose situation, but he is trying to place a defensive scheme together that suits our strengths better and that is our linebacker group. Only problem with that is we don't have the massive type dlinemen to seal gaps nor do we have the bigger type dbs to jam wrs or shed blocks to tackle in space. Whammy is kind of sol a bit because we play three more teams that run the same type offense as the aggies and one is coming up next week. I think our talent level alone over ECU should allow us to win, but they will put up points on us if we don't figure something else out.
Completely and totally disagree. UGA runs a more pro set style offense with a drop back passer and a running game. They've done more spread recently but offense is still the same. 4-3 is the best defense against them. For the most part, we have contained them in the past with a 4-3.

If we play a 3-4 against UGA, we will be DESTROYED by their running game. Coaches should be fired on the spot if they do this. Last year aside (inexperienced LBs killed us), we have held UGA to the fewest amount of points of any SEC since 2000 except for Florida.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #55
cockyness11
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Completely and totally disagree. UGA runs a more pro set style offense with a drop back passer and a running game. They've done more spread recently but offense is still the same. 4-3 is the best defense against them. For the most part, we have contained them in the past with a 4-3.

If we play a 3-4 against UGA, we will be DESTROYED by their running game. Coaches should be fired on the spot if they do this. Last year aside (inexperienced LBs killed us), we have held UGA to the fewest amount of points of any SEC since 2000 except for Florida.
Oh, I agree that a 4-3 is the best defense to defend more of a pro style offense with a qb in shotgun and I agree that we have contained them, but with Murray gone (just like the last few games last year with this same qb) they mostly ran out of a power I jumbo package with play action tendencies with two wr and a tightend as a hot read to simplify the progressions for the qb and lean more own their strengths (Gurley). I think they will do the same this year is what I meant by including Georgia in my rant. We just don't have the horses up front that could consistently apply pressure on a qb and we would have to blitz all night, leaving us vulnerable in our backend with little to know experience secondary.

Last edited by cockyness11; 08-29-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #56
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Actually, they did.

But frankly, when guys are running wide open without a defender within 10 yards its pretty easy to hit some passes.
I give them credit for an excellent game plan against us and they had big receivers to execute as well.

Say what you want to but I don't think we (team or fans) saw this coming. If anyone says they did, then .. oh well?
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #57
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
5. This is the best Offense we will play this year, guaranteed.
Not so sure about that.

Auburn will be tough. If we don't stop Gurley, et al, Georgia will be a long game. ECU will run a similar offense to TAMU. And you know Dabo and the Chad orgasmed themselves to sleep last night.

We need to tighten up, knock off the experimental defense, and play with what got us 11 wins 3 years running.

That includes the offensive side of the ball. Last night was a replay of HBC's first few years here when he'd revert to the chuck and duck offense every time we'd get behind. We need to get back to controlling the clock and keeping the other team off the field.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #58
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Not so sure about that.

Auburn will be tough. If we don't stop Gurley, et al, Georgia will be a long game. ECU will run a similar offense to TAMU. And you know Dabo and the Chad orgasmed themselves to sleep last night.

We need to tighten up, knock off the experimental defense, and play with what got us 11 wins 3 years running.

That includes the offensive side of the ball. Last night was a replay of HBC's first few years here when he'd revert to the chuck and duck offense every time we'd get behind. We need to get back to controlling the clock and keeping the other team off the field.
This
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #59
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

I think Todd, Tommy, Coach and others said it best. We were OUT hustled-coached-played-planned-taken to the woodshed-butt whipped and IMHO the only thing not OUTED was a player or fan last night.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #60
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Ward went to Texas to learn the 3-4. Texas... Coached by Charlie Strong... Remember third and long Strong. That in itself should tell you we are in trouble on defense.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote