CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Tolley
WeStillOwnUSC
GamecockGuardsman
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
kingofnerf
TN game weather (1210)
Who is your favorite (929)
Aliens Are Real (435)
Marvel releases movi (426)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (418)
FSU vs. Louisville (324)
Virgin Spaceship Exp (269)
Need a ride tomorrow (190)
Brady Hoke Motivatio (168)
Talking Animals (137)
Uniforms for Tenn
Have you ever been so wro
Who is your favorite play
Interesting quotes from D
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
TN game weather
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
Cavs vs. Bulls
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --

Old 08-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #101
gamecock1116
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
gamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudlygamecock1116 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Is anybody still optimistic?

Yes, I have some optimism left for these reasons
1. Our offense moved the ball and if Dylan learns to take the 5 yards given him on zone reads then lines can't just blow up our running backs. Our I line did ok, but zone reads only work when the defense has to account for the QB and last night they were never forced to. Offense Will be fine.
2. I think the 3-4 experiment is over and our guys can get back to what they know and were recruited for. This will(if it happens) be a foundation to build on and find a way to get more pressure. More pressure helps our secondary. Those who are griping over coverage are not seeing all factors. The legion of Boom couldn't cover if there was NO PASS RUSH AT ALL. if we get back to 4-2-5, find ways to get pressure, and help our secondary, D will get better
3.( most optimistic) Texas AM is just that good and we are not that bad. Their O line is awesome and we probably won't see another air attack that is that well protected
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #102
poppabeary3
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
poppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his comb

Yeah and Deke Adams sucks. Point blank. He didn't do shit at UNC and hasn't done anything here except bring in a few recruits. Our line has deteriorated each year since he's been here. In the SEC, you'll get enough athletes to play DB, we need a big time DL coach because thats where the game is won, in the trenches. Elliot is a loud mouth who can't get his guys to match his intensity and Adams just can't coach.
poppabeary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #103
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Here's my brimming with optimism pic from casual Friday Before A Holiday at the office today
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #104
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

queue the "grown men don't wear team jerseys rants"...

nice clifford stuffed animal too...
Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #105
USCswimmer
Recruit

Male

USCswimmer is making other chickens nervousUSCswimmer is making other chickens nervousUSCswimmer is making other chickens nervousUSCswimmer is making other chickens nervousUSCswimmer is making other chickens nervousUSCswimmer is making other chickens nervousUSCswimmer is making other chickens nervous

ATM put up 630 yards vs ALABAMA last year... it's not over yet guys.
USCswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #106
Blackland
Blue Chip

Male

Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb

Not really, we have a few rebuilding years coming up. Plus no more Clowney...
Old 08-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #107
USCGrad90
Alumni

Male

USCGrad90 has hatched from the shell

One Game. 11 more to go in the season. Take them one game at a time and see how it goes. The D will get better and so will the offense. If the coaches and players learn from last night, they can move forward. If they dwell on it, it will fester and detract from the team. Humbling night for everyone, but not the end of the world.
USCGrad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #108
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
The expectations for this season was to win the east. We put ourselves in a big hole last night. We also play another tempo offense next week with a very solid quarterback and good offensive line (from what I hear, at least.) Our defense is scared to death to hit anyone. Our pass rush is non existent. People are saying TAMU has the best offense we'll play all season, but Auburn has three 6'3"+ wide receivers and a unique talent at quarterback.

There's not much to be optimistic about IMO.

BUT, five players who I think actually wanted it last night were:
Pharoh Cooper
Busta
Nick Jones
Wilds
Jarrell

That was refreshing to see a few guys actually try.
This pretty much my take. I am really disappointed in the tackling technique from the entire defense. Fundamentals are what you give a "refresher" on in the spring and you practice game plan in the fall. Not sure you can fix poor tackling technique in a couple of weeks. So I'm not very optimistic at this point. Wasn't too disappointed in the offense. I mean you score 28 and all you need your defense to do is hold the opponent to 3 TD's and Two FG's and you still win. No not optimistic until I'm shown something much, much different than I saw last night from the defense.
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #109
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
Not really, we have a few rebuilding years coming up. Plus no more Clowney...

And do you think Spurrier wants to rebuild....again at his age?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #110
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Here's the issue most are having. The expectations have been raised considerably and that was not what we were all expecting to see.

Optimistic that what, we win the SECE? After one game, that looks doubtful. But as others have probably said, it is only one game. College football is a strange game. I don't know how people bet on college football, because just when you think you know it, the gods have other plans. So I have some hope that we turn it around.

If the sample size becomes 3+ games and things are still the same, then I would say there would be little optimism, but we aren't there yet .
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #111
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Here's the issue most are having. The expectations have been raised considerably and that was not what we were all expecting to see.

Optimistic that what, we win the SECE? After one game, that looks doubtful. But as others have probably said, it is only one game. College football is a strange game. I don't know how people bet on college football, because just when you think you know it, the gods have other plans. So I have some hope that we turn it around.

If the sample size becomes 3+ games and things are still the same, then I would say there would be little optimism, but we aren't there yet .
Hopeful? Absolutely. But I want to see some marked improvement against ECU
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #112
lauderdalecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 480
lauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comb

Well I had to turn off the Michigan State game. Not ready to be around happy people that I like yet. The 24 hour rule is almost up though.
Yes I am optimistic. Three main things:

1. Our Coach is gonna do everything he can to fix this. He hates last night as much or more than we do. We can debate the specifics but he knows more about what needs to be done than any of us.

2. We have players. Maybe young, maybe inexperienced, but they are athletes. In the past we could say that.

3. We saw some fight and leadership late in the game from a few guys on offense. Trust they had discussions with their teammates on defense.

Maybe not all that we hoped for, but not as bad as it may seem right now, although I can't remember a single play made on defense, save a couple of blitzes from Sky Moore.
lauderdalecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #113
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I'm optimistic that we'll go 8-4.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #114
usc4lyf
Recruit

Male

usc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spurs

I am very optimistic. Next week we will see a very different gamecock team. It is not the players . I believe HBC will have more of a hand in coaching the defense and get things straightened out.
usc4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #115
usc4lyf
Recruit

Male

usc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spurs

Rematch against Texas A M in the SECCG.
usc4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #116
militarymind17
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 490
militarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his comb

It's only the 1st game of the year. We will be just fine.. Oh yeah of little faith..
militarymind17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #117
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

We need to go back to playing FCS schools for our first game. Playing ranked teams for your first game isn't the way to go.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #118
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabeary3 View Post
Yeah and Deke Adams sucks. Point blank. He didn't do shit at UNC and hasn't done anything here except bring in a few recruits. Our line has deteriorated each year since he's been here. In the SEC, you'll get enough athletes to play DB, we need a big time DL coach because thats where the game is won, in the trenches. Elliot is a loud mouth who can't get his guys to match his intensity and Adams just can't coach.
He was at UNC for 1 year and he's only in his 2nd season here. You're talking like he was at UNC for years and has been here for years.

And since all ya'll want to get rid of Adams, who you want to hire then?
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #119
gamecock ray
Recruit

Male

gamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spurs

I'm optimistic but I wish we would scrap the 3-4. It didn't work at Ga. and I don't see it working for us.Three step drop passing attacks are hard enough to get pressure on. A 3-4 defense works okay in the NFL but I notice the D-tackle has to be a man-child and take up two blocks. Please Ward if you would go back to the 4-2-5. Tackling was the worst I have seen ever. Guys were in position to make tackles but what I saw was a bunch of guys lacking sound fundamental tackling techniques. It also looked like we could not get off blocks last night. If we clean this up we will be fine.
gamecock ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #120
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
Until Blackshear and Key get on that line im not gonna be optimistic.
Lewis, Wideman and Sawyer
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote