CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
markp_vip
PageUSC
Gamecocks1137
ChickenButt
Ahmad
Cockypantherfan
eightohhthree
jrussjr
cocky-K
COCKYTALKIN
Legitimate, Unbiased (1571)
Antonio Allen vs Als (1552)
Cack's Toast of the (1404)
why we're in this po (1317)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (1278)
I guess we don't get (1119)
Pharoh Cooper is a s (1001)
open discussion of t (800)
Look who's at the bo (741)
Predict the Season ( (614)
Making the Trip to Kentuc
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
Waldrop & Williams
Predict the Season (After
Kendrick salley
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin
Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy
open discussion of this t
Dylan Thompson picked as
2015 Commitment - Dexter

Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #81
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jimmies and Joes

and finally, last years defense that played Wisconsin:

DL - Sutton (4), Surratt (2), Quarles (4), Clowney (5)
LB - Lewis (4), Roberts (3), Diggs (4)
DB - Hampton (4), Legree (3), Williams (4), Elder (4)

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #82
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

We haven't had a defensive line this low in star ratings in YEARS and it showed up last night. Call out Coach Ward about X's and O's all you want but he simply does not have the players and that is his and Deke Adams' fault for putting together a shitty recruiting plan and failing to execute.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #83
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
When you blitz 6 or 7 guys and don't even make the QB move off his spot, what schematically can you do to fix that? Answer is, you can't. Sometimes the other team has better players than you do.

Fact of the matter is, Coach Ward does not have the TALENT nor the bodies to rush the passer. Its something that we are going to have to deal with all year long. This is all a result of poor recruiting.

Last night, our defense star wise:

DL - Surratt (2) , Dixon (3), Dixon Jr (3), English (3)
LB - Walton (3), Holloman (3), Golightly (3)
DB - Williams (3 out of high school, reclassified to a 4 in prep), Elder (4), Moody (3), Harris (3)

Main reserves:

DL - Harris (3), Johnson (3), Lamin (4), Dukes (4), Green (4), Griffin (4), Cooper (3)
LB - Moore (4), Lewis (4), Roberts (3), BAW (4), Diggs (4), Bryant (4)
DB - Lammons (4), Gurley (3), Marcus (4), McWilliams (3), Sasser (3)

Here is A&M's main offensive rotation:

QB - Hill (4)
RB - B. Williams (5), T. Williams (5), Carson (3)
WR - Seals-Jones (4), Noil (5), Pope (4), Reynolds (3), Kennedy (3)
TE - Clear (4)
OL - Ogbuehi (4), Ifedi (3), Gramling (3), Cheek (4), Matthews (4)

USC needs to keep recruiting like they currently are THIS YEAR because the talent gap is only going to get wider. If you guys think aTm is surprising, wait until Tennessee gets another class into Knoxville. They will eventually run a similar system to aTm and Missouri. Not only that but Florida under Kurt Roper is going to fling it around the yard. Kentucky is in the early stages of developing its Air Raid offense too. This offensive style isn't going away anytime soon. Its not a fad. If we fall apart this season, our staff has got to make sure it keeps the current class in tact especially upfront or we are going to be in a world of hurt going forward.

To win in this league now, you better have a stout pass rush or you're meat. This isn't a defensive dominated conference anymore. The offenses in this league are spreading you out and putting incredible athletes in open space and letting them do their thing.

USC needs to adjust or fall behind, and it all starts in recruiting.

I totally agree with your post here. In the game last night there was a huge talent gap between our team and Texas A&M. If we don't come up with a way to get better in a hurry, it is going to be a long season. We were just totally out-matched last night and the longer the game went on the more evident it was. This makes me wonder now about "All The Talking Heads That Stated That USC would be a team to beat this year"???? Who can you believe anymore?
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #84
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 300
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

It's been stated on several occasions but never really discussed openly, but maybe we really do need to dump more money into our recruiting budget. Especially with our quality players leaving after only three years, last night it embarrassingly came to a head
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #85
gromweat
Walk On

Male

gromweat has hatched from the shell

Quote:
We haven't had a defensive line this low in star ratings in YEARS and it showed up last night. Call out Coach Ward about X's and O's all you want but he simply does not have the players and that is his and Deke Adams' fault for putting together a shitty recruiting plan and failing to execute.
C2, great writeup but I do not think last years d line would have made that much difference. They released way too quick. I could be wrong, but I do not think so. I would love to know the number of passes by A&M that were in the air less than say 7 yrds. I would also like to see the star comparison when GA came to town 2 yrs ago.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #86
gromweat
Walk On

Male

gromweat has hatched from the shell

I should add, I do not think the score would have been that bad but the end result would still have been the same.
gromweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #87
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
USC needs to keep recruiting like they currently are THIS YEAR because the talent gap is only going to get wider. If you guys think aTm is surprising, wait until Tennessee gets another class into Knoxville. They will eventually run a similar system to aTm and Missouri. Not only that but Florida under Kurt Roper is going to fling it around the yard. Kentucky is in the early stages of developing its Air Raid offense too. This offensive style isn't going away anytime soon. Its not a fad. If we fall apart this season, our staff has got to make sure it keeps the current class in tact especially upfront or we are going to be in a world of hurt going forward.

To win in this league now, you better have a stout pass rush or you're meat. This isn't a defensive dominated conference anymore. The offenses in this league are spreading you out and putting incredible athletes in open space and letting them do their thing.

USC needs to adjust or fall behind, and it all starts in recruiting.

Okay, I agree with most of that. I'd kind of quibble and say what Missouri runs isn't an air raid, it is a pass oriented spread, but whatever. Also not sure that Kentucky and Tennessee aren't trying to go more to what Missouri currently does.

But as regards recruiting...

Other than participate in this zero sum game of building facilities to entice recruits. (I don't think they serve any useful purpose in the bigger scheme of things, they are just "bling" to attract recruits. They don't enhance their academic success, or even quality of life really.)

But where are we going to recruit better than we are now? Northeast? North Carolina? Florida? Georgia?

I think Franklin is going to lock down the Northeast for elite recruits, at least the ones that don't want to go to the other national schools. Clemson has better connections than we do in NC, and Fedora is locking that state down like Richt does Georgia. Plus it's not like NC State, Duke, and even Wake don't recruit that place. And while NC is excellent it doesn't put out anywhere near the number of Div I players Georgia does.

I think Auburn is going to only improve at recruiting Georgia, and they were strong already. If Tennessee improves they can be a real presence recruiting Georgia, as they were pre-Richt. Neither is good for us. Tennessee has almost been a non-factor recruiting there the past 8 years or so, so if they start having any big success there it comes at some other school's expense, and I'd say it is us.

Honestly we have not had as much success recruiting Florida as I would have thought when Spurrier was hired. Clemson has done a better job of grabbing highly rated players from there than we have.

So where is our improvement going to come from? Seems like the trend is static, or looks like it may worsen in most of the areas we recruit.

I really don't think it is a matter of working harder at recruiting either. The only way I see that we get better at it, is if we got one of the dynamo recruiting had coaches.

Most of the assistants, Elliott, Adams,Ward, G.A., Brown, Junior, probably Botkin are all pretty good recruiters and would get picked up by other programs pretty quickly if they left.

So what does your statement about recruiting mean? Seems to me we are kind of in a cul-de-sac as regards that.

We recruit very well compared to most schools on a national basis, but we are a small fish in our own pond. We regularly get classes ranked between 10 and 20, and that usually makes us 6-8 in the SEC, and 3-5 in the East.

So what do we do exactly? You might be right about "it all starting with recruiting," but what do we do?
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #88
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Here is the 2012 defense that played Michigan:

DL - Taylor (3), Jerideau (3), Quarles (4), Clowney (5)
LB - Bowens (3), Wilson (3), Holloman (4)
DB - Hampton (4), Williams (4), Swearinger (3), Auguste (4)
So, how do you explain the CLemson wins??? It can't be all one or the other. No adjustments were made. Did you see a difference in our mirage cover? I didn't

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #89
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I think its been a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of USC fans that aTm is three years into the league and is in the process of building a juggernaut and it has taken USC 20+ years to get where they are. I called this from the beginning when aTm joined the league that it wouldn't take long before they were one of the Top 5 talent teams in the league. But I got a lot of 'it'll take them a while', 'Texas runs that state', blah blah blah.

Its about the haves and have nots. A&M has more money than USC, they have more tradition and history than USC, and they have probably the most talent rich state in the country pretty much all to themselves. All they needed to do was to get out of Texas' shadow. They are pretty much another LSU except with a better offense than defense.

As far as what USC can do to get better players in here. Its hard to say because the state itself has been in a dull since we signed Clowney. The state just doesn't pump out enough D1 talent year in and year out to build a program like aTm. Its very top heavy. USC is going to have to start beating Georgia for Georgia kids. They are going to have to go down into Florida and beat UF/FSU/UM for kids. They have got to start beating out of state schools for their instate kids and its just something that isn't going to happen in the short term. Its a unique situation to be in.

Honestly, we are very fortunate to have gotten the highly rated players we have under Spurrier.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #90
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
So, how do you explain the CLemson wins??? It can't be all one or the other. No adjustments were made. Did you see a difference in our mirage cover? I didn't
How do I explain the Clemson wins? Simple, we had better players on the defensive line.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #91
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Okay, I agree with most of that. I'd kind of quibble and say what Missouri runs isn't an air raid, it is a pass oriented spread, but whatever. Also not sure that Kentucky and Tennessee aren't trying to go more to what Missouri currently does.

But as regards recruiting...

Other than participate in this zero sum game of building facilities to entice recruits. (I don't think they serve any useful purpose in the bigger scheme of things, they are just "bling" to attract recruits. They don't enhance their academic success, or even quality of life really.)

But where are we going to recruit better than we are now? Northeast? North Carolina? Florida? Georgia?

I think Franklin is going to lock down the Northeast for elite recruits, at least the ones that don't want to go to the other national schools. Clemson has better connections than we do in NC, and Fedora is locking that state down like Richt does Georgia. Plus it's not like NC State, Duke, and even Wake don't recruit that place. And while NC is excellent it doesn't put out anywhere near the number of Div I players Georgia does.

I think Auburn is going to only improve at recruiting Georgia, and they were strong already. If Tennessee improves they can be a real presence recruiting Georgia, as they were pre-Richt. Neither is good for us. Tennessee has almost been a non-factor recruiting there the past 8 years or so, so if they start having any big success there it comes at some other school's expense, and I'd say it is us.

Honestly we have not had as much success recruiting Florida as I would have thought when Spurrier was hired. Clemson has done a better job of grabbing highly rated players from there than we have.

So where is our improvement going to come from? Seems like the trend is static, or looks like it may worsen in most of the areas we recruit.

I really don't think it is a matter of working harder at recruiting either. The only way I see that we get better at it, is if we got one of the dynamo recruiting had coaches.

Most of the assistants, Elliott, Adams,Ward, G.A., Brown, Junior, probably Botkin are all pretty good recruiters and would get picked up by other programs pretty quickly if they left.

So what does your statement about recruiting mean? Seems to me we are kind of in a cul-de-sac as regards that.

We recruit very well compared to most schools on a national basis, but we are a small fish in our own pond. We regularly get classes ranked between 10 and 20, and that usually makes us 6-8 in the SEC, and 3-5 in the East.

So what do we do exactly? You might be right about "it all starting with recruiting," but what do we do?
hire lane kiffin
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #92
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
How do I explain the Clemson wins? Simple, we had better players on the defensive line.
Well that doesn't sound good.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #93
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 116326
USCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spurs

Cover 2,

Aren't you the one that usually says stars don't matter? Before it was "commit to Carolina and you lose a star" or Carolina coaches up a 3-star and other schools don't. Now everyone on here seems to be believing recruiting stars matter.

Hypocrisy is rampant all of sudden
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #94
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 116326
USCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spurs

SOS is a legend. But he admittedly is chill and at his age has earned it. Until we get a young passionate relentless recruiter (butch jones, sumlin, etc) it will be the same. Take the garnet glasses off and digest.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #95
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I don't believe I've ever said stars don't matter. I've said that USC will never be able to recruit like the major schools in the SEC. I've said that the strategy needs to be lock down the state, pick the major cities close by, and develop the talent it gets.

But I've never said stars didn't matter.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #96
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
I don't believe I've ever said stars don't matter. I've said that USC will never be able to recruit like the major schools in the SEC. I've said that the strategy needs to be lock down the state, pick the major cities close by, and develop the talent it gets.

Locking down the state is something we HAVE to get back to doing. These past two years have been pathetic
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #97
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

Quote:

Our inability to recruit at a very high level in North Carolina has just bugged the shit out of me for quite some time. It simply makes no sense that we can't get kids from Raleigh down.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #98
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockjay View Post
Our inability to recruit at a very high level in North Carolina has just bugged the shit out of me for quite some time. It simply makes no sense that we can't get kids from Raleigh down.
I've said for a long time we need a permanent game with a North Carolina opponent.

Only problem is that this potential game is a lot more useful to us than the NC schools.

They don't come to SC anywhere near as much as we go to Georgia, or even to North Carolina.

So what exactly is the motivation for UNC or State to play us? The younger generation of fans there probably view us like we view Virginia Tech, ie no real rivalry exists nor is there much interest in the game.

I don't think playing us helps Wake in recruiting. Nor Duke.

The only school who might have an interest in playing us permanently is East Carolina. But I'm not sure how much a game like that would do for us as regards exposure in the Triangle and Charlotte areas.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #99
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
SOS is a legend. But he admittedly is chill and at his age has earned it. Until we get a young passionate relentless recruiter (butch jones, sumlin, etc) it will be the same. Take the garnet glasses off and digest.
My view as well. Luckily we have guys like Elliott and Ward who recruit very well.

But we have to put back to back to back great classes together to get over the hump. It's so hard to do in the SEC.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #100
Badazcock
4-Star

Male

Badazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Well I watched the game through the end of the 3rd quarter. Just as a guess right now I think A&M loses to Alabama and Auburn (both road games).

I have a hunch they lose to LSU at home, and possibilities of losses at Mississippi State and at home to Mississippi.

We didn't take advantage of it, but there are a lot of holes in that defense that weren't exposed last night (and I'm not talking about the long ball).

Their defense is going to look like ours did last night when they play Auburn. And their offense isn't going to look nearly as good against LSU and Alabama.

I think true power running teams are going to do very well against that defense, whether if you do it in the I like Alabama and LSU, or with a spread like Auburn and Mississippi State.

Guess it depends on how good Kenny Hill actually is. Last night it looked like a scrimmage for him. LSU and Alabama both have the athletes to deal with their talent, and they are going to be in a scoreathon with Auburn. He might be the next Winston, but usually guys have some mistakes in them the first time they are starting. It's just that he was never in a situation where he plausibly might make a mistake. The receivers were open all night, he had plenty of time to throw the ball, the receivers were giants compared to the db's, and the running game was clicking.
I say they lose to any team that has a good defense. They beat us on ALL the pass routes..They juked our tackling..A well coached and solid defense will kill aTm..Just my opinion..Ive been known to be wrong.

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote