CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
Order 66
QCB
markp_vip
taylorssc
ChickenButt
Gamecocks321
l^l^lBGCock
ScottK
No Comments on the H (1258)
Call of Duty: Advanc (404)
Freshman ND WR " (329)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (278)
Vote For Cocky (166)
Things They Should H (160)
Good Riddance to bad (157)
Keeping tailgate foo (147)
An A to Z of Noah We (77)
Vote For Cocky
Texas athletic director:
BAW
Keeping tailgate food saf
Roll call for Auburn
So Disappointed With The
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Who start on the d line t
The Gator Bowl wants us!

Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #141
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: So, Dylan Thompson?

I think you have to reserve judgment until after Kentucky. USC has a bye week after that game and if Thompson hasn't improved much, then I think its time to start thinking about other options.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #142
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
Did you not read websites or listen to radio. There were people on this site who were giddy when Shaw got hurt because Dylan was gonna play now.
Would those be the same people ready to play Mitch after one game?
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #143
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think you have to reserve judgment until after Kentucky. USC has a bye week after that game and if Thompson hasn't improved much, then I think its time to start thinking about other options.
Ahhhh a voice of reason. It's been one game that turned into a night of living hell for Dylan and company. Give Dylan a chance to settle down and hope the defense can keep opponents under 40 points.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #144
kacrosinsc
In Awe of Marcus!

Male

CockyCash: 500
kacrosinsc has hatched from the shell

I am a huge fan of Dylan as a person. He is a fantastic young man. He has made some very nice deep ball throws the last few years but mostly he has been inconsistent with his passing and I was kinda wondering how he made such a dynamic turn around over the summer which is what it sounded like by listening to SOS rave about what a good passer Dylan is now.

If Dylan is the best passer we have on the team right now, we are in trouble. Sorry, I love the guy but damn, I want to see someone come in and light up opposing defenses for 400YPG like some other SEC teams have.

Spurrier had to know that there was no significant improvement even though he was trying to sell us something else. Maybe he was trying to instill confidence in Dylan. Who knows?
kacrosinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #145
ABATTBQ11
Recruit

Male

ABATTBQ11 is learning to peckABATTBQ11 is learning to peck

Quote:
Did you not read websites or listen to radio. There were people on this site who were giddy when Shaw got hurt because Dylan was gonna play now.
It's like TexAgs. The most popular player is the backup QB.
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #146
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Its kinda hard to judge a qb rating when he is relegated to throwing the ball 40 times a game.

If he wasnt the best option the coaches wouldn't play him. I trust Steve Spurrier and GA mangus more than I trust a guy with a keyboard and sports center.
How about when judging a guy that was relegated to throwing 60 times?..ie, Kenny Hill. Check out his rating.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #147
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Would those be the same people ready to play Mitch after one game?
Actually it's a lot of the same people who are saying that Dylan doesn't deserve any criticism because he put up some decent fantasy stats. He's a great kid and ambassador for the school but that doesn't give him bonus points on the field.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #148
FeloniousCock
Banned

Male

FeloniousCock has hatched from the shell

Dylan is a wonderful person and he gets very excited about life in general, so you can imagine him during a game. He does get excited and that tends to let him throw a little high. he has done this over and over again. Now having completed 50% of his passes and 4 td's seems good if you take away his two bombs then it isnt that impressive. I think that Dylan will get better and will do well.

My biggest concern is the lack of effort on the team. Last night i watched as a screen pass from A&M and our cb watched the pass and engaged the blocker versus trying to go to the ball. Angles, weak tackling, no offensive line push not to mention no D-line push. Dylan is not my concern moving forward. Dylan did well considering what game plan we had to resort to.
FeloniousCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #149
Pancake21
Recruit

Male

Pancake21 has hatched from the shell

Yea I noticed it too! He missed Roland a bunch I thought. The time he throws to him he gets an interception.
Pancake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #150
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I'm a firm believer of when a ball hits your hands you should bring it in but if that ball is ripped and not lobbed then Jones doesn't slow down and allow the defender to catch up.
True that, and I don't know how many times that point has to be made before some get it. We should have had more success on offense against that A&M defense. With the talent we have, their D should have been abused much like ours was.

Last edited by zcoop; 08-29-2014 at 08:34 PM.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #151
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
What's the general sentiment?

Frankly, I was highly unimpressed. Defense aside, his passing was simply not sharp. He routinely overthrew receivers. Coming out after halftime when we desperately needed a score to turn the tide, he missed BADLY on 3 straight throws and we punted. Several times when scrambling he ran out of bounds for a loss instead of throwing the ball away. Overall he was 20/40, which is slightly lower than his career completion percentage of 55%.

Honestly, I know we all like to remember the Clemson game he started and looked great in but he really didn't look all that great most of last year.

Much as I am perplexed how the coaches were so clueless about our defense being so poor, I am equally perplexed how SOS could think Thompson was ready to play well.

He didn't.
first, thompson did NOT look great in that clemscum game. he threw how many dirt balls, right into the ground. he should have had six int's in that game. yes, he made some good plays in that game, and won it. thank god. but he did not look great.
and as for the tam game, he played pretty well. but he is not connor. that is what people are going to have to understand. jones should have protected the ball better, and he would have had three td catches. but he just barely had a grip on it gingerly trotting into the endzone. that is a microcosm of that entire game. they were fired up and ready to play, and we were reading press clippings.
dylan is a decent qb, not a great one. and that is all he will ever be. his throwing motion is weird, and i have never trusted it. and that int was terrible. but he threw for four td's, and over 300 yards. so you take the good with the bad. it is what it is.
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #152
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

general sentiment you say............ur a tater. that s all .
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #153
cockyness11
Blue Chip

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

He had happy feet for some reason last night at times and tended to over throw at times, but all and all he performed pretty well. By that I mean, he read through his progressions quickly, rarely checked into a bad play, and threw to the better read pretty much the whole night. He looked nervous at times, but settled himself down and he showed leadership by claiming his mistakes and not whining and pushing the blame on his teammates. He also showed leadership after he over threw a pass to buster and buster got a lil flustered so Dylan talked to him during that timeout and you could tell buster settled down a bit after they talked. I think he will learn from the game film and progress throughout the season.
cockyness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #154
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

It's been brought up a few times, but I really, really am struck by his footwork. I'm not talking about throwing on the run, but he just does not set to throw a lot of times.

Literally I can think of one play I saw where he didn't rotate his body or move his feet, it was just all arm. I think this has a lot to do with his accuracy, but let's face it, he only has about 12 weeks left in his college career. Is it really going to be anything other than "It is what it is" at this point?

I thought Nosovitch had a funky throwing motion in the spring game, but Dylan made him look like Marino at times last night.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #155
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I saw a couple of overthrows including a high ball to Busta where Dylan maybe thought he was deeper, but two plays bothered me. One was the grounding play. No way he could be in control and think of doing that. The other was a play where he rolled right and ran OB three yards behind the line. On that one, chunking it OB saves the 3 yards and can't be grounding. Judgement. I'm sure the coaches will point out those if it didn't hit him immediately after.
(Oops. Just saw a new post similar to this.)
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #156
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

He played similar to this the first game of that stretch when he had to start after Shaw got hurt. He was much better the second game and just as good as Shaw by the third one. The rest of the team was also doing what it should back then, too.

Shaw wasn't necessarily playing the way HBC wanted him to back then, either, and we could have been just as successful with either QB. I felt Thompson was the better QB back then.

Since then he has only played on the spur of the moment when Shaw went down.

He will play better the next game and even better still in the third one.

Win as a team, lose as a team. The team as a whole was unprepared and got whooped and that always goes back on the coaches.

You can't point the finger at Dylan without doing the same to HBC and HBC Jr.

The team will improve as a whole the next game and will be much better by mid-season.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #157
SouthCGC
Blue Chip

Male

SouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervous

There were a few times where he just didn't see the open receiver and made a bad choice. One time he got happy feet for no reason and ran right to where the d-lineman was being blocked to. his footwork on the throws was not confident.
SouthCGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #158
gblack
Walk On

Male

gblack has hatched from the shell

Lets face it Dylan Thompson is a good backup QB not a starter with that said it's time for Connor Mitch and Perry Orth too start playing for the future. Our offensive line isn't as good as coach Elliott would want us to believe. I watched a true freshman for Texas AM whip our guards all night long. I keep wondering why don't we have any tall physical WR like Alshon Jeffrey or Sidney Rice. I'm starting to have doubt with Steve Spurrier Jr recruiting abilities. We knew Clowney, Quarles and Sutton was leaving and they knew Wideman and Sawyer wasn't getting in school when they signed them. I haven't written this season off just yet but like I said last year, the Gamecocks would be rebuilding not reloading this year we are still playing catch up to Alabama, LSU,Texas AM and even though we have been beating them lately you can also include Georgia in that picture.
gblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #159
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblack View Post
I haven't written this season off just yet but like I said last year,
What screen name were you using last year when you said that since this is your first post here with this screen name?
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #160
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I like Dylan, but if our D can't vastly improve we should start worrying about the future and getting Mitch some serious playing time so we don't start next year with a green QB.
I agree
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote