CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
l^l^lBGCock
Badazcock
gamecockgal
WeStillOwnUSC
Regalcock
ccured
roosterdude21
Order 66
U-Dub Gamecock
snruter amabon
Can it get any bette (1591)
Boo This Man... (1107)
georgia rewind... (815)
Gameday in Columbia (725)
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (653)
Stadium improvement (591)
Doniyah Cliney to si (573)
Where to Watch the G (308)
Why we'll dominate C (262)
Mizzou game late par (212)
UGA is running over Troy
Full Men's 2014-15 Schedu
Gameday in Columbia
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Winston
Well, as it turns out, we
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
Defense Tackles
2016 - Collin Hill
Can it get any better!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #161
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Re: So, Dylan Thompson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think you have to reserve judgment until after Kentucky. USC has a bye week after that game and if Thompson hasn't improved much, then I think its time to start thinking about other options.
Dylan is a threat down field but that is all the other teams will worry about our offense is best with a dual threat guy and that's not DT.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #162
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
He looked nervous most of the game. Too many high passes. Never set his feet before he threw. There's a reason he hasn't started until this year.

Hopefully he settles down, limits his mistakes and Mike Davis becomes the face of the offense and takes the pressure off Dylan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Dylan is a threat down field but that is all the other teams will worry about our offense is best with a dual threat guy and that's not DT.

you are right.

if only we had a running back or two.

Do you think that might cause defenses to maybe consider playing us as more than a one dimensional team or nah?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #163
deerless
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
deerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spurs

Need more than a one dementional QB!! The Offense knows that too.
deerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #164
Cockfanga
Walk On

Male

Cockfanga has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockdiesel7 View Post
What else do you want dylan to do? When he threw it over the middle it was dropped. When he scrambled receivers just stood their and didn't adjust. Cannot blame anything on dylan. People say minus 2 big plays offense did nothing.. Well dylan put the ball on the money and receivers did what they were supposed to do, so those were earned. Its hard to throw the ball when the defense only has to rush 3 and 4 because we were down so much and had to throw
Agreed - Spurrier even pointed out that Nick was the only WR that played. Said he expected more out of Cooper, didn't even mention Roland, nor did he mention Byrd. Then to see Roland mouthing to Thompson - wow! Those A&M DB's must be the best in the country, including the 2 freshman!

Still, I believe the HBC will make changes for the good and make this a good year. The team will bounce back.
Cockfanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #165
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
Need more than a one dementional QB!! The Offense knows that too.
Dylan moves better than people want to give him credit for. He just doesn't have a runner's mentality. He wants to throw the ball.

Is he Connor? Heck no but he has decent speed.

I understand your argument but if the line doesn't block and the RB's don't run worth a crap then you can't really expect Dylan to do what Connor did.

Plenty of good offenses around the country that don't have mobile QB's.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #166
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Dylan moves better than people want to give him credit for. He just doesn't have a runner's mentality. He wants to throw the ball.

Is he Connor? Heck no but he has decent speed.

I understand your argument but if the line doesn't block and the RB's don't run worth a crap then you can't really expect Dylan to do what Connor did.

Plenty of good offenses around the country that don't have mobile QB's.
Yes. However, those good offenses without mobile quarterbacks have O lines that block well and RB's that run worth a crap.

Since most teams don't possess both, the trend is toward more mobile QB's. Auburn went back to a mobile quarterback last season after experimenting with a "pro-style" offense; Oklahoma made the switch last season; even Wisconsin may take a stab at playing a mobile QB, using one of our cast-offs.

But, we have to work with what we have. I respectfully disagree about Dylan moving well. At least I haven't seen it against SEC defenses the last two seasons. Expect more pressure up the middle, forcing DT out of the pocket, where he looks uncomfortable. We got to be able to hit on that middle screen to slow down the pass rush.

Perhaps we'll see more of the wildcat to take some of the pressure off DT. I thought it was effective the couple of times we ran it. I suppose the score was the reason SOS went away from it.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #167
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
He looked nervous most of the game. Too many high passes. Never set his feet before he threw. There's a reason he hasn't started until this year.

Hopefully he settles down, limits his mistakes and Mike Davis becomes the face of the offense and takes the pressure off Dylan.
Its like the school's all time winningest quarterback was in front of him or something.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:18 AM   #168
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
What's the general sentiment?

Frankly, I was highly unimpressed. Defense aside, his passing was simply not sharp. He routinely overthrew receivers. Coming out after halftime when we desperately needed a score to turn the tide, he missed BADLY on 3 straight throws and we punted. Several times when scrambling he ran out of bounds for a loss instead of throwing the ball away. Overall he was 20/40, which is slightly lower than his career completion percentage of 55%.

Honestly, I know we all like to remember the Clemson game he started and looked great in but he really didn't look all that great most of last year.

Much as I am perplexed how the coaches were so clueless about our defense being so poor, I am equally perplexed how SOS could think Thompson was ready to play well.

He didn't.
maybe it was because he was playing against our defense at practice......just kidding. I thought he had a pretty good game actually.......he had 4-5 drops one for a TD. You can't hang that loss on DT.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:51 AM   #169
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
you are right.

if only we had a running back or two.

Do you think that might cause defenses to maybe consider playing us as more than a one dimensional team or nah?
Imho we should be a bruising smash mouth real grown man SEC team. Only problem is all the rbs on our roster have been hurt (knock on wood the exception being the guy who has already blown his red shirt at rb that has not played in 1 game for us yet) I think a 2 back set of Brandon Wilds and David Williams with Connor mitch at quarterback and no one would know who the hell to cover and shaq and the boys would magically be open much more. I really like Dylan as a person but he was never trusted as our starter except when we didn't have the option of who to start or else he would have beaten Shaw out for starter correct? Regardless what happens dt leaves after this season I say open up the competition more and get Mitch ready for next year of course Nunez could be the answer but I think he will be sitting behind Mitch for at least a season.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #170
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
maybe it was because he was playing against our defense at practice......just kidding. I thought he had a pretty good game actually.......he had 4-5 drops one for a TD. You can't hang that loss on DT.
I agree I just am very worried that his lack of mobility is gonna bite us in the rear. Our offense works better with a mobile dual threat qb it's the zone read A&M is not supposed to have a defense you think he will be able to move around against UF, UGA or auburn?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #171
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree I just am very worried that his lack of mobility is gonna bite us in the rear. Our offense works better with a mobile dual threat qb it's the zone read A&M is not supposed to have a defense you think he will be able to move around against UF, UGA or auburn?
Spurrier doesn't want him running because if he gets hurt, you've got a QB that has never played even one play.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #172
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Tanner McEvoy. It will be interesting to see how he fairs against LSU.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:11 AM   #173
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Spurrier doesn't want him running because if he gets hurt, you've got a QB that has never played even one play.
So we change our offense and defensive schemes and expect everyone to be able to adapt if they were there and learn it all new when they were likely recruited to play different roles? No wonder A&M waxed us they have an identity and atm we don't on either side of the ball.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 AM   #174
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Tanner McEvoy. It will be interesting to see how he fairs against LSU.
He will be a game manager at most there won't he?

Old 08-30-2014, 03:22 AM   #175
NinjaSven
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talons

I would love to see what Dylan can do with an O-line that can actually block for him.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #176
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSven View Post
I would love to see what Dylan can do with an O-line that can actually block for him.
You and me both and us also not abandon our game plan when down by 10 points.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:31 AM   #177
NinjaSven
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talonsNinjaSven has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
You and me both and us also not abandon our game plan when down by 10 points.
I totally agree. We should have just settled down and tried to establish the run game to open up the playbook. We totally freaked out and it showed.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #178
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talonscockyguitar has developed his gaff and talons

If you watched the same game I did, Dylan was the least of our problems. He never gave up. He's definitely no Shaw, but his heart for the team is second to none. I feel confident in him. I don't feel confident in much else.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #179
zcoop
Recruit

Male

zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
What screen name were you using last year when you said that since this is your first post here with this screen name?
Ooops!, Cold Busted!
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 AM   #180
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSven View Post
Pass protection wasn't an issue in that game. The oline does a good job in that aspect they just can't open a hole for a running back.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote