CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
aftertwobowls
Regalcock
Cockypantherfan
Cocks N Stuff
kingoftheroost
smoovecock
GregoryHouse
The Vent and Coachin (6719)
Disturbing comments (2718)
does anybody think w (2272)
2015 schedule is bru (1666)
UF lets Durkin go (1610)
2015 Early Enrollees (1461)
**USC Women vs. Hamp (854)
SOS...a day late &am (742)
The U ends apparel d (607)
Bobo to Colorado St? (599)
2015 Signee - Marquavius
The Vent and Coaching cha
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
2015 Commitment - Jalen H
SOS...a day late & do
2015 schedule is brutal
UF lets Durkin go
QB Next Season?
**USC Women vs. Hampton G
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #161
Badazcock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Badazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his comb
Default Re: SOS is pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Easy pitch and catch. No pressure on QB and not a single receiver payed for it in the middle....just poor attempts to tackle at shoulder pad level. They looked like jv high schoolers afraid to lay a hit. Better finds some dudes willing to lay some wood or we are in for a long season.
I was just trying to find the stats on qb pressures..I can on remember 2. One where Moore sacked Hill and one where he escaped pressure and threw for the 1st down..Maybe one or 2 more..

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #162
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous

I remember Jawja's first year of the 3-4 defense....they got torched.
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #163
Garnet Gamecock
Banned

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RphBallCoach View Post
I remember Jawja's first year of the 3-4 defense....they got torched.
Something tells me we're going to ditch it.

I don't think we need it, period.

Sometimes you've got to experiment just to prove that something should be avoided.

I swear that last night on at least two or three plays where they ran to the right I saw the biggest running lanes I've ever seen in forty-five years of watching football.

Their running backs could have broken to the second level in freaking wheelchairs!

What I didn't like was Whammy's look on the sideline. He reminded me of Todd Grantham with the "deer in the headlights... oh, shit, what do I do now" look that he normally has when he plays us.

Whammy did not have a clue how to stop A&M, yet he should have known exactly what they would do. Our adjustments at halftime were either nonexistent or not well thought out.

And moving forward, non one on defense should be named a starter. They should have to survive a knife fight to get out on the field. This team needs to get tough in a hurry.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #164
gamecock ray
Recruit

Male

gamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spurs

I agree with Garnet Gamecock wholeheartedly.
gamecock ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #165
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

72% of our plays we ran the 3-4 giving up an average of 7.7 yards a play
28% of our plays we ran the 4-3 giving up an average of 4.4 yards a pay
Dump the 3-4 and play nickel in passing situations. We going to have to live with our DL play.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #166
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDISTOCOCK View Post
When you don't tackle and block in practice, what do you expect in a game?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Because you don't freak out down by 10 and turn to "catch up" mode and abandon the run. A run game controls the clock and gives room for the field to open up for the pass. The team who controls the clock wins the game. Usually, that is from running the ball...but like we saw tonight, it can also be accomplished by a short passing game (screens, curls, quick outs, slants, etc). They established, we didn't...we tried to play catch up and veered from the gameplan I am sure SOS had in place.

Unfortunately, as the game progressed the defense shit the bed continually and we got deeper into a hole where no matter what...run or pass, we needed big gains and first downs.

Not only that, but the passing game never really got under control. Never had a rhythm and we didn't set a tempo with passing the ball around. Thompson was really erratic (high throws in the short game, underthrows in long game).
these are the two best posts in the thread. i agree 100% with both of the above statements.
first, you CAN NOT expect guys to be hardnose football players if you treat them like delicate dandelions in practice. the coaching staff not having guys hit hard in practice makes them soft. i understand the coaches don't want injuries, but guess what, this is a man's sport. and it is a tough hardnosed sport. successful coaches make the practices hellishly hard, so the games seem easy by comparison. we need to practice much, much, much more physically. how can you expect them to tackle in the games, if they don't tackle in practice????????? you can't. plain and simple.
and the running game would have kept their offense off of the field a lot more, than we actually did, by passing every down. we could have established the run, with four different rb's. but instead we abandoned it, and only down ten. going for a homerun ball, on a third and one????? really??????
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #167
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 View Post
Blaming the defense is futile. The offense was terribly one-sided...no run game, and all long balls. Is Spurrier going to call himself out?
You don't know football. You can't run the ball when are you down by a bunch because it keeps the clock running.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #168
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
first, you CAN NOT expect guys to be hardnose football players if you treat them like delicate dandelions in practice.
a) I didn't know we were treating our players like "delicate dandelions" in practice. Maybe you mean you are calling for more frequent physical drills like the Oklahoma drill?

b) This is not the first year we have not been physical in pre-season practices. Spurrier has been doing this since he got here. If our previous defenses were physical, it seems that your logic is flawed. You may be engaged in a false cause fallacy here. It is like saying that before a rain you see more people carrying umbrellas. Therefore, people carrying umbrellas cause it to rain. IOW, I don't think your supposition is correct here.

That said, our defense played tentative. That should be corrected. I expect ECU to pay the price of an increased emphasis on physicality.

Last edited by yazoo; 08-30-2014 at 09:31 AM.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #169
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
a) I didn't know we were treating our players like "delicate dandelions" in practice. Maybe you mean you are calling for more frequent physical drills like the Oklahoma drill?

b) This is not the first year we have not been physical in pre-season practices. Spurrier has been doing this since he got here. If our previous defenses were physical, it seems that your logic is flawed. You may be engaged in a false cause fallacy here. It is like saying that before a rain you see more people carrying umbrellas. Therefore, people carrying umbrellas cause it to rain. IOW, I don't think your supposition is correct here.

That said, our defense played tentative. That should be corrected. I expect ECU to pay the price of an increased emphasis on physicality.
Our defense has looked shaky in tackling the opener every year. That is due to not hitting. It's a timing issue. Our defense has not hit on all cylinders until later in the season. Practice like you play. I'm not saying Oklahoma drills just live practice ,

Yes I am talking about practice. Practice
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote