CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
Latti
Travelin
B-G
kingofnerf
Gamecocks1137
usc1
Decommitment from Te (1572)
Cleveland Browns Hea (959)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
2014 Subway Classic: (777)
Former Gamecock root (639)
Four USC Basketball (503)
Props to Eric Hyman. (458)
Franks boy's are pla (306)
Bowl packages (281)
5 apps to turn your (255)
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Former Gamecock rooting f
looks like we have 2 OL r
Decommitment from Texas A
So, why is next year goin
My early Monday dinner .
Franks boy's are playing

Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #181
GabbieM
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 850
GabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudly
Default Re: So, Dylan Thompson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyguitar View Post
If you watched the same game I did, Dylan was the least of our problems. He never gave up. He's definitely no Shaw, but his heart for the team is second to none. I feel confident in him. I don't feel confident in much else.
There were quite a few long camera shots of Dylan's face that I swear.. I thought he just saw the Grim Reaper and was freaking out... like totally lost... with what was happening.

That had to of been a horrible feeling. I mean, one shot he was looking straight ahead like he was just zoned out. Maybe a deer in the headlights type look explains it better.
GabbieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:19 AM   #182
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
If you watched the same game I did, Dylan was the least of our problems. He never gave up. He's definitely no Shaw, but his heart for the team is second to none. I feel confident in him. I don't feel confident in much else.
Accuracy honestly but it was his first real start for "his team" not just filling in and I agree he did as well as we could have asked him because he is not the one calling the plays.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 AM   #183
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbieM View Post
There were quite a few long camera shots of Dylan's face that I swear.. I thought he just saw the Grim Reaper and was freaking out... like totally lost... with what was happening.

That had to of been a horrible feeling. I mean, one shot he was looking straight ahead like he was just zoned out. Maybe a deer in the headlights type look explains it better.
Saw that also I felt so bad for him he was like this is not what's supposed to be happening here almost like he felt like it was all his fault which it wasn't. I am all for giving him the time to be more accurate maybe he knows how to tackle with his passion for our team? No one getting a shot on our defense could hurt us right now I don't think.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 AM   #184
zcoop
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000404
zcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Saw that also I felt so bad for him he was like this is not what's supposed to be happening here almost like he felt like it was all his fault which it wasn't. I am all for giving him the time to be more accurate maybe he knows how to tackle with his passion for our team? No one getting a shot on our defense could hurt us right now I don't think.
I think he'll be okay going forward. This is his team now and he looked a little unsettled at times but I'll chalk it up to first game jitters. Let's see how he rights the ship.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #185
cockyguitar
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbieM View Post

Yea there were cause unlike Shaw, I don't think Dylan is the comeback type of QB. He does better with the game at a comfortable level, but his attitude was a never give up one. He kept fighting even when A&M kept scoring. I agree it had to be a horrible feeling, especially on your home field.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #186
cockyguitar
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Accuracy honestly but it was his first real start for "his team" not just filling in and I agree he did as well as we could have asked him because he is not the one calling the plays.
He hung in there and never folded. I know I would've been a mess if that were me.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #187
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

when your line doesnt block, you dont run the ball, and you end up with multiple 3rd and longs, your qb likely isnt going to be efficient. connor didnt win a ton of games on his own and our offense was just as bad more often than not when we got pass happy with him at the helm.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #188
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
He hung in there and never folded. I know I would've been a mess if that were me.
He did hang in there so you have to give him that. But he never did look comfortable and settled. He's going to have to learn to slow the game down (mentally). Unfortunately, he's a 5th year senior so there's not much time for learning.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #189
Carolina-Beez
Starter

Male

Carolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
when your line doesnt block, you dont run the ball, and you end up with multiple 3rd and longs, your qb likely isnt going to be efficient. connor didnt win a ton of games on his own and our offense was just as bad more often than not when we got pass happy with him at the helm.
It's kind of difficult to get run happy without a dual-threat quarterback. How often are we going to able to just pound an SEC opponent by simply handing the ball off to the running back? We're not Bama or LSU.

As for your comment about the team not being successfully when Connor was pass happy: it makes sense logically, but the facts don't bear it out. We won the top 5 games in which Connor racked up his highest passing attempts of the season. Also, Davis ran for 149 yards and 137, respectfully, in losses to Georgia and UT. He ran for only 51 in the win against Mizzou.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #190
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

its not about being run happy, its balanced playcalling. its more about attempts than the yardage, not that im saying the yardage isnt important. also its about involving the backs in the passing game as well. the ratio of rb carries in the missouri game to qb passes wasnt what id like it to be at 26:56, but the rb's did catch 12 passes so by the end of the game they were involved a lot.

the tennessee example goes right along with the games in previous seasons where we abandoned the run inexplicably in a close game and ended up losing. putting the ball in the hands of only the qb when its not necessary and asking him to win the game by himself which makes things too difficult on him and the oline.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #191
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Pass protection was not an issue against A&M. They couldn't open a hole for a RB but Thompson had plenty of protection in the passing game.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #192
Badazcock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Badazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSven View Post
I would love to see what Dylan can do with an O-line that can actually block for him.
We did see what he could do/...The O line did block for him, it was our RB's That suffered from the O line..Or was it our RB's are not as great as we thought?? Dylan's Happy feet remind you of Garcia?

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #193
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

I see 18itM has matriculated over to CT since the GG forums shut down. Stirring up trouble per usual. Good times.

There's no real way to judge DT's performance fairly. Our defense let us down in a huge way and TAMU's offense was sharper than could have been expected. As a result we had to press on offense and that was the beginning of the end of any kind of rhythm we might have established.

DT looks like the QB we've seen. High risk / reward guy, not always accurate, not always on the same page as his receivers, not especially adept at reading defenses. The latter two will improve with time, the former will probably improve as well as he settles down - most of his passes sail high.

The fact of the matter is, if we have to get into shootouts with every team we play our offense will always be a confused mess. We're built for ball control, not score at will. We're best when we can run the ball and execute short passes to set up the big play rather than heave the ball down field and hope for the best. You have to set up the knockout with a few jabs.

I guess the good news is that if our defense continues to play touch football he'll get a lot of attempts to improve himself, as we'll constantly be playing from behind. I have some faith though that things will improve. We got pantsed at home on national television, something tells me we're about to see a defense with a chip on their collective shoulders.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #194
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

the pass protection wasnt great when waldrop was in there at right guard. the opening drive of the 2nd half he made a bad decision to try and roll out of a clean pocket into trouble rather than just step up and wait for a receiver to get open.
2nd play great pocket he has an uncovered jerrell adams in the flat for a potential 1st down, but he heaves it deep for shaq roland in one on one coverage. hes not open but hes giving him a chance to make a play and the db knocks it away. the 3rd play a&m had a free rusher right up the middle that forced dylan to scramble and throw it away.

the 1st play concerns me because thats poor pocket presence while the second one looks like he saw the one on one coverage on the outside and was determined to take the shot. not sure he ever looked to the right flat where adams was at.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #195
Badazcock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Badazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmeaty View Post
I see 18itM has matriculated over to CT since the GG forums shut down. Stirring up trouble per usual. Good times.

There's no real way to judge DT's performance fairly. Our defense let us down in a huge way and TAMU's offense was sharper than could have been expected. As a result we had to press on offense and that was the beginning of the end of any kind of rhythm we might have established.

DT looks like the QB we've seen. High risk / reward guy, not always accurate, not always on the same page as his receivers, not especially adept at reading defenses. The latter two will improve with time, the former will probably improve as well as he settles down - most of his passes sail high.

The fact of the matter is, if we have to get into shootouts with every team we play our offense will always be a confused mess. We're built for ball control, not score at will. We're best when we can run the ball and execute short passes to set up the big play rather than heave the ball down field and hope for the best. You have to set up the knockout with a few jabs.

I guess the good news is that if our defense continues to play touch football he'll get a lot of attempts to improve himself, as we'll constantly be playing from behind. I have some faith though that things will improve. We got pantsed at home on national television, something tells me we're about to see a defense with a chip on their collective shoulders.
I hope so....

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #196
IgotGAME
Memorabilia Man

Male

CockyCash: 1400
IgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his comb

One thing I don't like about DT... He doesn't always step into his passes. He falls back a lot when he throws which causes the ball the float or go high. He doesn't do it all the time but it's very noticeable when he does.

Sent from my 2nd Gen Nexus 7
Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #197
Carolina-Beez
Starter

Male

Carolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPitCarolina-Beez rules the CockPit

Quote:
its not about being run happy, its balanced playcalling. its more about attempts than the yardage, not that im saying the yardage isnt important. also its about involving the backs in the passing game as well. the ratio of rb carries in the missouri game to qb passes wasnt what id like it to be at 26:56, but the rb's did catch 12 passes so by the end of the game they were involved a lot.

the tennessee example goes right along with the games in previous seasons where we abandoned the run inexplicably in a close game and ended up losing. putting the ball in the hands of only the qb when its not necessary and asking him to win the game by himself which makes things too difficult on him and the oline.
I agree with you about abandoning the run inexplicably, the UT game is a perfect example. That is one of the reasons I think CS was so valuable. He manufactured a running game, even when SOS would get pass happy.

DT doesn't have that option. He's at the mercy of the O line and SOS's play calling. The good news is SOS is one of the greatest play caller in the history of the game and our O line is experienced. We should be alright. *knock on wood*
Old 08-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #198
Carolina-Beez
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotGAME View Post
One thing I don't like about DT... He doesn't always step into his passes. He falls back a lot when he throws which causes the ball the float or go high. He doesn't do it all the time but it's very noticeable when he does.

Sent from my 2nd Gen Nexus 7
I noticed that Thursday night as well. I went back to look at the Clemson and Michigan highlights from 2 years ago to see if he had the same delivery.

Look at his follow through on the touchdown pass to Ace Sanders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNKs6Nhd_A

That pass was over the middle. Perhaps that's the reason he really stepped into that throw. Spurrier has traditionally had his QB's throw a lot of fade patterns, which might explain why so many of DT's passes seem to float.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #199
drumboy
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1000000201
drumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talonsdrumboy has developed his gaff and talons

I've been reading for two days, and I'm amazed. DT threw for 366 yards and 4 TDs with 1 interception. The coaching staff's goal for him was to throw only 1 inteception for every 4 TD passes. He did that, and he would have had 5 TD passes if Jones hadn't dropped the ball. Even Jones said that he should have held onto it. His rating was 154.9 for the game, and, yes, I'm aware that his QBR was 70.2. Look about in USC history for this century and see how many USC QB's have thrown for 366 yards. Check out how many have thrown 4 TDs in a game. Blake Mitchell threw 4 in 2006, and Shaw threw 4 1 time in 2013. Shaw's longest pass in his career was 65 yards, and that was after starting 2 years. Thompson threw a 69 yard pass Thursday night, and it wasn't his first. I'm not knocking Shaw at all. He was a great quarterback, but I am pointing out that he couldn't have won this game either, and the loss wouldn't have been his fault. Connor had 5 games last year in which his completion percentage was in the 50's, and in three of them, it was 50%, including UCF, Mississippi State, and Florida. In the opener against UNC, it was 55%. His percentage at Tennessee was 33%. Obviously, he usually won with those stats, and he improved. Maybe, just maybe, Thompson will do the same.

DT wasn't perfect, but without his yards and TD passes, you'd have been looking an even worse loss. Even had he gotten the 3 TDs he could have had (Jone's drop, the interception, and the overthrow), we still wouldn't have won. He needs to improve his accuracy and completion percentage, true, but to blame him for not running is ridiculous. Spurrier told him not to run. He doesn't want him to be injured because nobody behind him is anywhere near ready to take over. Should he just ignore Spurrier and do it anyway?

Also, he didn't call the plays. I'm sorry you didn't like the playcalling, but DT called what Spurrier told him to call.

Rather than criticizing him for what he didn't do, I'd rather recognize what he did, knowing after the first half that there was no way our defense was going to keep them from scoring a bazillion points. TAMU had 15 possessions and scored on 12 of them. That's not the fault of the offense.

Focus on the positive for just a few seconds. They will regroup and work on the problems this week. Next week, we aren't playing a powerhouse. They're good, but they're not TAMU or Alabama or Georgia. Perhaps the coaching staff should be given a week to turn this around. If they agree with some of you that Mitch is the better option, they'll go with that. I also wonder if some of you realize that Mitch is a pro-style quarterback. The only dual-threat is Nosovitch, and he isn't one of the two backups. In other words, Mitch won't run much either.

Last edited by drumboy; 08-30-2014 at 01:08 PM.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #200
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Dylan and the offense will get better, but will the defense? IDK.

WTS, I thought he did good enough to win the game had we been able to stop aTm on half of it's possessions. Would have been a different game if we forced them to punt more often.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote