CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
snruter amabon
seamus
SCrules
ChickenButt
NAGamecockFan
trapper82
cockybreeyan
Cockypantherfan
Spurrier Press confe (1897)
why we're in this po (1848)
Predict the Season ( (1650)
Pharoh Cooper is a s (1556)
Dylan Thompson picke (1317)
Waldrop & Willia (1149)
Acock's Wrap Up: Van (1099)
Look who's at the bo (741)
Vols dismiss RB for (673)
Dillon Day suspended (647)
The defense will signific
SEC on CBS Coming to an E
open discussion of this t
Defense not an issue....
Antonio Allen vs Alshon J
Dylan Thompson picked as
Spurrier Press conference
Kendrick salley
Waldrop & Williams
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin

Old 08-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #121
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is anybody still optimistic?

I just hope Spurrier still has the desire to tough it out if this season tanks. We can't afford to rebuild the coaching staff and we need those DL recruits.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #122
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenButt View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Down 10-0 in the first quarter, what we needed to do was score *slowly*, grind it out, wear down their D and give ours a break. We did the opposite and it played right into A&M's hands.
he gets it. Well said my friend we played their game and we aren't built for that no defense shootout crap.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #123
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
It's a rebuilding year and I'm optimistic we'll be better next year...provided Lorenzo coaches better.
If he doesn't we won't need to worry about how he coaches next year.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 AM   #124
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

My biggest fear after watching one of the worst USC Football Games in my life and I have seen a lot of them is the FACT THAT WE MAY NOT HAVE A REAL SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN ON OUR TEAM??? If this turns out to be a fact, then we are in for a very ugly season this year! Coach Spurrier has been here too long for us to have this type of D-Line and even though he is not the Defensive Coach, he is the Head Ball Coach and should have seen this coming and made the corrections months ago.

I don't mind losing as it is a part of life and sports, but to get "your butt handed to you on National TV in front of a packed home crowd" is just beyond belief.

Having been a long time Gamecock Fan and having gone through all the bad and ugly years, this really hurts as I thought that we had moved past these type of games. I did not expect us to go 12-0, but I did expect our team to be better prepared and to play a lot better. So, no it will be a long time before I am optimistic about this team again.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:59 AM   #125
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
My biggest fear after watching one of the worst USC Football Games in my life and I have seen a lot of them is the FACT THAT WE MAY NOT HAVE A REAL SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN ON OUR TEAM??? If this turns out to be a fact, then we are in for a very ugly season this year! Coach Spurrier has been here too long for us to have this type of D-Line and even though he is not the Defensive Coach, he is the Head Ball Coach and should have seen this coming and made the corrections months ago.

I don't mind losing as it is a part of life and sports, but to get "your butt handed to you on National TV in front of a packed home crowd" is just beyond belief.

Having been a long time Gamecock Fan and having gone through all the bad and ugly years, this really hurts as I thought that we had moved past these type of games. I did not expect us to go 12-0, but I did expect our team to be better prepared and to play a lot better. So, no it will be a long time before I am optimistic about this team again.
Again I completely agree with this statement. I am a sunshine pumper per say but I can't find the sunshine at the moment. The only thing I can see that could save us is actually playing like it is always 0-0 and playing our game not our opponents. (Until desperation at the end if need be) But honestly if we played our ball control type game and controlled the tempo I think we would rarely be in desperation and need to change what we are doing to catch up. Because we would be ahead. We know what offense A&M runs regardless what qb was playing our plan for that style works but we did not use it last night.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #126
NinjaSven
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

I, for one, am not optimistic. One game in and we are already behind in the SEC race. Relying on other teams to lose to help our odds has never gone in our favor. One of my biggest concerns is the absolute absence of a pass rush. If we keep it up, all the QBs we play this year have a huge chance to gash us. We are going to find ourselves down early in more games this year. Our offence has a ton of firepower, but even great offences get stifled. Look at Clemson's teams from the last few years. Their offence has sputtered against great defenses. Our offense might share the same fate, and unfortunately, we don't have a defense (yet) that can bail us out. If nothing changes, I can see us being crushed again in a few more games this season.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #127
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSven View Post
I, for one, am not optimistic. One game in and we are already behind in the SEC race. Relying on other teams to lose to help our odds has never gone in our favor. One of my biggest concerns is the absolute absence of a pass rush. If we keep it up, all the QBs we play this year have a huge chance to gash us. We are going to find ourselves down early in more games this year. Our offence has a ton of firepower, but even great offences get stifled. Look at Clemson's teams from the last few years. Their offence has sputtered against great defenses. Our offense might share the same fate, and unfortunately, we don't have a defense (yet) that can bail us out. If nothing changes, I can see us being crushed again in a few more games this season.
The saddest but most true thing in this post is we look A LOT like Clemson of late right now.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #128
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudly

No, there is so much that was exposed last night that can not be fixed by coaching/game experience. I've said it the last few yr's in respect to recruiting, we have no explosive/game changers. Maybe solid players, but no ballers.
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #129
zcoop
Recruit

Male

zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
he gets it. Well said my friend we played their game and we aren't built for that no defense shootout crap.
You're right, we should never get into a gunfight with a gunslinger. We played right into their game plan.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #130
cockyguitar
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

Yea I really don't get why we abandoned the run then again we never ran it to be begin with. Our o line was hyped up and suppose to be the best in the SEC. The only true drive we had ended in an INT. Don't get me wrong, those deep ball TD passes were beauty, but our defense needed time to catch their breath and go over some sort of gameplan on the sidelines. Then again I don't know if it would've helped. A&M were just on another level last night. They just couldn't be stopped. That being said it was only one game and one game shouldn't define our team. I believe in Spurrier and I believe in his ability to coach. He'll correct what needs to be fixed.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #131
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnahs View Post
No, there is so much that was exposed last night that can not be fixed by coaching/game experience. I've said it the last few yr's in respect to recruiting, we have no explosive/game changers. Maybe solid players, but no ballers.
I've been saying that for a couple of years and got called a Tater. Glad someone agrees with me.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #132
Cocks N Stuff
Walk On

Male

Cocks N Stuff has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
I've been saying that for a couple of years and got called a Tater. Glad someone agrees with me.
Arguably the biggest issue with our defense on Thursday was poor angles and poor tackling. Those are two very coachable things.

Our pass rush was absolutely horrid, but we also ran a 3-4 without 3-4 caliber DL and were not very smart in how we attempted (or did not attempt) to bring pressure IMO. Again, that is scheme/coaching. That said, I do think the pass rush will continue to be poor this year, but it's hard to know exactly where we stand in that regard until we get back to 4-2-5 football, which I have a hard time imagining us not doing sooner than later.

I have no delusions about this team. TAMU is far more talented than us and it showed. Aside from simply having a more talented roster, they also were simply a horrible mismatch for us. BUT what we saw Thursday night is not indicative of how this team will look all year and we are not a squad of scrubs, guys. Still plenty of reason for hope this year. It's going to be tough and it's not going to look like it has the past few years, but we still got some W's out there. We have problems that aren't fixable by coaching, but we have A LOT that ARE that can make a HUGE difference.

Go Cocks.
Cocks N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #133
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

I have refrained from comments because to be honest, I was just in a horrible place (as most of us are). Since I've decompressed, several Maker's later, I am optimistic. The defense..absolutely embarrassing. We had several complaints last year about the LBs and they eventually grew up. I believe our DBs will do the same. Last year we threw too much at the younger guys and they were confused. Ward said he threw in some zone, man to man, the 3-4, 4-2-5, etc. These kids' heads were spinning. Simplify things. Stick to the 4-2-5. This, and the fundamentals of tackling, will cause for improvement IMO. Our guys were arm tackling out there and that's not how you play in this league.

On to the DL...no pass rush and no, we don't have the DEs that are to be starters in this league. Deke is an excellent recruiter, kids love him, but if his guys don't show improvement or generate a small pass rush, he's gone after this year IMO. Without a pass rush, our secondary will give up 300+ a game.

Optimism: We all knew we had some major question marks. MD28 was clearly injured, no matter what he said via instagram/twitter or whatever. He'll be 100% next week. We'll focus on tackling and taking better angles, that'll assist w/the massive yardage we gave up. Dylan is going to have to calm down. Overthrows have always been his kryptonite, but if he can calm down a bit and check down, he'll be throwing over 60%. The DL, nothing we can do this year..help is on the way and Lewis can come in and play immediately. Realistically, I believe we can end 8-4 maybe 9-3. That's not horrible for a "rebuilding year".
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #134
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
I have refrained from comments because to be honest, I was just in a horrible place (as most of us are). Since I've decompressed, several Maker's later, I am optimistic. The defense..absolutely embarrassing. We had several complaints last year about the LBs and they eventually grew up. I believe our DBs will do the same. Last year we threw too much at the younger guys and they were confused. Ward said he threw in some zone, man to man, the 3-4, 4-2-5, etc. These kids' heads were spinning. Simplify things. Stick to the 4-2-5. This, and the fundamentals of tackling, will cause for improvement IMO. Our guys were arm tackling out there and that's not how you play in this league.

On to the DL...no pass rush and no, we don't have the DEs that are to be starters in this league. Deke is an excellent recruiter, kids love him, but if his guys don't show improvement or generate a small pass rush, he's gone after this year IMO. Without a pass rush, our secondary will give up 300+ a game.

Optimism: We all knew we had some major question marks. MD28 was clearly injured, no matter what he said via instagram/twitter or whatever. He'll be 100% next week. We'll focus on tackling and taking better angles, that'll assist w/the massive yardage we gave up. Dylan is going to have to calm down. Overthrows have always been his kryptonite, but if he can calm down a bit and check down, he'll be throwing over 60%. The DL, nothing we can do this year..help is on the way and Lewis can come in and play immediately. Realistically, I believe we can end 8-4 maybe 9-3. That's not horrible for a "rebuilding year".
Agree with everything you said. However, while 9-3 wouldn't be horrible, it would be a disappointment when you consider the goal was to play in Atlanta.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #135
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I am usually more gloom and doom...but I think many on here are not giving our coaches any credit for assessing the talent that we recruited. These are the same coaches who got us the three straight eleven win seasons. I don't think we have a lack of f talent or the size the coaches want. I think we have an issue with timing the early departures and stuff.

I think we are in for a tough season... seven wins maybe less...but I think we will be right back up next year and even better the following. If we lose to ecu I would like to see Mitch. If Davis is hurt or just being a weanie is like to see williams..

Into every life a little rain must fall and it appears it will a little stormy this season. Spurrier isn't going anywhere and if he were to do.so he would do things in a way to protect out recurring class.

Go cocks
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #136
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Agree with everything you said. However, while 9-3 wouldn't be horrible, it would be a disappointment when you consider the goal was to play in Atlanta.

9-3 usually means you get a spot in Atlanta. Always depends how the SEC race shakes out. Considering what we saw last game, 9-3 would be a fantastic season.

Before this game, I thought 9-3 was our peak much like 11-2 was our peak the past couple years. Now I'm thinking 8-4 is absolute best case scenario.

The next couple weeks will be VERY interesting. It will pretty much make or break our year.

Beat both ECU and UGA and we're back in decent shape.

Lose to UGA and we're looking at an average year. I don't know how we're going to stop Gurley and their receivers but we'll have to grow up fast. I wish we could afford to never play a guy like Mason Harris at DE. When you're 6'2" 230 you don't belong on an SEC defensive line.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #137
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Yes I'm optimistic. We will get better, the question is how much better will we get?

I can't wait to win a few games to shut some of these idiots up. 1 game. 11 to go. You have no idea how this is going to play out.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #138
Cocks N Stuff
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
If we lose to ecu I would like to see Mitch.
If we lose to ECU, it's not going to be DT's fault. I can just about promise you that. DT is our best QB right now. Call me crazy, but I'm not a proponent of giving up on the entire season after game 2. Mitch has plenty of reps in his future.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #139
Cocks N Stuff
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
Ward said he threw in some zone, man to man, the 3-4, 4-2-5, etc. These kids' heads were spinning. Simplify things.
This seems to be an ongoing theme under Ward. We have some bad defensive performances and it's "we just need to simplify the defense and just let these kids quit thinking, getting confused, etc. and just go out there, line up, and play. We were trying to do too much." ...and then after this event inevitably happens and we make the adjustments, we play a good deal better. What I'm wondering is... why does this keep happening...
Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #140
18IsTheMan
4-Star

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks N Stuff View Post
If we lose to ECU, it's not going to be DT's fault. I can just about promise you that. DT is our best QB right now. Call me crazy, but I'm not a proponent of giving up on the entire season after game 2. Mitch has plenty of reps in his future.
No. If we lose to UGA, then yes. If that were to happen, we don't really have anything left to play for. We're definitely out of the playoff discussion. Would also be out of contention for the SEC. At that point all we're playing for is a better bowl game, which really doesn't matter all that much. Might as well start getting ready for the future. Not saying I'd take DT's playing time away altogether, but our backups should start seeing some significant playing time. We wouldn't be doing ourselves any favors by going into next season with a completely inexperienced QB for the sake of a slightly better mid-tier bowl this season.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote