CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
CockyLifer
Badazcock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (28057)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2231)
Simple "yes&quo (1575)
We actually didnt lo (1387)
Phil Steele just pre (1253)
what I think ab ward (1142)
Extremely Proud (1042)
Eat Crow (1033)
Garcia: Change the R (800)
I want people to exp (758)
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Stop bashing Dylan
BAW
Extremely Proud
Defense question
Who start on the d line t
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward

Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #81
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Re: Confused fan here. Why is SOS ticked about D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
How in the hell can you blame Spurrier?
HEAD coach.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #82
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
How in the hell can you blame Spurrier?
He knows he is the head coach and therefore the blame is his to take. Just like a CEO of a company...captain of the ship etc. I have faith that he will get this straightened out.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #83
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
I also believe this is the worst all around game we have ever played. You are exactly right we played a&ms game not ours and they will be laughing for the next year about how they enforced their will and made us abandon our gameplan.
You obviously were not a fan during the last season under Brad Scott. His players gave up totally and did not fight. UT was beating us by 50 at home one year and the camera panned across the offensive line and QB. They were laughing and joking. They didn't give one shyte about the slaughter.

On Thursday, even when the game was probably a lost cause, a lot of our players continued to fight. I remember a couple Brandon Wilds runs, and some throws to our two tight ends, and some fight rac.

So, our players were very upset about it. That didn't happen with Brad Scott's teams. This was in no way close to losses we suffered back in those days. Be glad you are so young you cannot remember them.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #84
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
I also believe this is the worst all around game we have ever played. You are exactly right we played a&ms game not ours and they will be laughing for the next year about how they enforced their will and made us abandon our gameplan.
You're free to believe the earth is flat if it suits you. I don't know what you define as "ever". Maybe you're young & think football started here 20 yrs ago. But I can assure you that we've played many games worst than what we saw Thursday night. FSU came in here one time & beat us something in the range of 59-0. I could give you multiple other examples but I've tried to erase them from my mind & have no desire to relive them. This is not even top 10.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #85
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Ward said there will be some hitting and tackle in practices going forward
Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #86
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
You're free to believe the earth is flat if it suits you. I don't know what you define as "ever". Maybe you're young & think football started here 20 yrs ago. But I can assure you that we've played many games worst than what we saw Thursday night. FSU came in here one time & beat us something in the range of 59-0. I could give you multiple other examples but I've tried to erase them from my mind & have no desire to relive them. This is not even top 10.
You do realize that even in the fsu loss we didn't give up 680 yards right? Thurs night we have up the most yards in program history. So yes, it's definitely in the top 10.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #87
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
How do they teach tackling without hitting in practice?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #88
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post

See: Texas A&M vs University of South Carolina 28AUG14
Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #89
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

I quit reading after the first page.

1. There is a difference in practice and the game and it's obvious who on here has actually played sports in their life and who hasn't.

2. Spurrier lets his defensive coaches have complete autonomy on defense. Always has, always will, so get off his nuts he knows what he's doing.

3. If you read any scrimmage reports, you would have seen that the defense performed well in fall camp, so yeah this was unforeseen be our coaches.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #90
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
The lack of tackling I saw was unexcuseable. I have seen better tackling at a Friday night private school football game. Very poor technique by the entire defensive squad.
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #91
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

SOS is the head coach I don't understand how he doesn't know about defensive practices. He makes comments like y'all know as much as me about our new 3/4. This is not the first time he has made comments about not knowing what is going on with defense. If you are the head coach and there are drastic changes it seems to me that you would spend more time watching defensive practice and letting your offensive coaches run the offense.

This game was way up there on the worst list. but 1988 FSU and 1995 Florida were worse.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #92
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Curse View Post
The lack of tackling I saw was unexcuseable. I have seen better tackling at a Friday night private school football game. Very poor technique by the entire defensive squad.
tackling, angles, getting off blocks, coverage, assignments. There was nothing good to say about the defense Thursday. The got shell shocked. looked a lot like they bought in to preseason hype and got exposed and didn't know how to recover. But worse it looked like the defensive coaches bought into the hype
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #93
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Conway, I don't you but I feel like you may have been a fan as long or longer than I. I have been a fan since the 60's and you are correct, we have had some bad losses but I put this on in the category as one of the worst simply because of the culture change. I thought we had moved past this type of poor effort and technique but apparently not. I am puzzled as to how the defensive coaches didn't see this prior to the game. Are they telling me that the forgot how to tackle all of the sudden? Probably not. Saw a lot of bad habits that I belief will be tough to correct in between games. This is what spring practice and early august is for. May not be the worst but it is definitely in my top 5
Old 08-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #94
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
B R I L L I A N T!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #95
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
You do realize that even in the fsu loss we didn't give up 680 yards right? Thurs night we have up the most yards in program history. So yes, it's definitely in the top 10.
It was a painful loss, without a doubt.

That said, I've seen a lot of games in which we've been b**chslapped just as bad. We've turned a lot of opposing players into instant Heisman candidates. There was a stretch of time I swore Arkansas players seemed to have their best games against us.

And yes, even though some people are pining for Brad Lawing to come back, they ran over his DL.

It was a crappy first game. My sentiments are that holding the guys back from contact during practice may save you from injuries, but it severely impacts your timing and aggressiveness.

I think we'll be ok. And with the new playoff system, it's better to lose early in the year than lose late.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #96
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
I quit reading after the first page.

1. There is a difference in practice and the game and it's obvious who on here has actually played sports in their life and who hasn't.

2. Spurrier lets his defensive coaches have complete autonomy on defense. Always has, always will, so get off his nuts he knows what he's doing.

3. If you read any scrimmage reports, you would have seen that the defense performed well in fall camp, so yeah this was unforeseen be our coaches.
If the defense performed well in fall camp then that can only mean our offense is awful. Anyone who has ever played a down of competitive football knows there's simply now way on earth there can be that big of a discrepancy between practice performance and game performance. From "good in fall camp" to "worst ever performance in the history of the program??" No sir.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #97
southerntramp
Game MVP

Male

southerntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudly

Quote:
Wonderful....

Bad thing here is this....SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN SPRING AND DURING FIRST FEW WEEKS OF FALL CAMP

specifically those are the weeks where you separate the men from the boys....you have violent drills...1 on 1. 2 on 2. OL vs DL. Etc. Between the bags....tackle like your hair is on fire...lots of screaming in your face intensity....drills on WRAPPING UP AND BRINGING YOUR HIPS. Position coaches teaching and players bringing it...not against bags etc....that creates tentative players players the violent drills create players who will go through brick walls.....so sick of watching lunge attempts

Again those drills are vital....it brings out what you are expected to do on game day And another thing THEY ARE FUN!
southerntramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #98
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntramp View Post
Wonderful....

Bad thing here is this....SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN SPRING AND DURING FIRST FEW WEEKS OF FALL CAMP

specifically those are the weeks where you separate the men from the boys....you have violent drills...1 on 1. 2 on 2. OL vs DL. Etc. Between the bags....tackle like your hair is on fire...lots of screaming in your face intensity....drills on WRAPPING UP AND BRINGING YOUR HIPS. Position coaches teaching and players bringing it...not against bags etc....that creates tentative players players the violent drills create players who will go through brick walls.....so sick of watching lunge attempts

Again those drills are vital....it brings out what you are expected to do on game day And another thing THEY ARE FUN!
In all fairness, no tackling in practices worked well for Paul Bryant.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #99
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

I graduated SC in 91, I sat thru some tough games as a student including the FSU and Clemson losses. This is not even close. Yeah our D was awful, but at least we scored. We actually had a chance to be in this game a couple times. Nick Jones not being able to hold onto to that pass right before half hurt.

The offense will be fine. DT played ok, missed some throws though, he will get sharper. The O-line is good and pass protected well. The run game was abandoned early and worried about Mike Davis' injury situation.

The D - well, I don't like the scheme. I don't like how our DB's give a huge cushions. The LB's looked confused and out of place. The DL got no penetration. IT's not as if we are completely devoid of talent on D. We have players. The scheme is wrong and the coaching needs to step up. Our DB's need to press cover. That is how you slow down an A&M type offense.

It just seems too many times over the past couple seasons we are completely unprepared on defense and play way too passively. Last year's D should have been a beast and still we looked passive and confised at times. I like Ward, but something is not clicking.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #100
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Curse View Post
Conway, I don't you but I feel like you may have been a fan as long or longer than I. I have been a fan since the 60's and you are correct, we have had some bad losses but I put this on in the category as one of the worst simply because of the culture change. I thought we had moved past this type of poor effort and technique but apparently not. I am puzzled as to how the defensive coaches didn't see this prior to the game. Are they telling me that the forgot how to tackle all of the sudden? Probably not. Saw a lot of bad habits that I belief will be tough to correct in between games. This is what spring practice and early august is for. May not be the worst but it is definitely in my top 5
Good points. It most assuredly makes the list of top 10 worst defensive performances. But there was a reason the stadium came alive in the 3rd qtr until the int pretty much killed any small chance we had to make the game competitive. We scored 4 touchdowns, had 23 first downs, & 433 yards of total offense. Those are good numbers & would ordinarily win you a lot of games. You & I have seen many games when the outcome was never in doubt after the 1st quarter, when we struggled to even make a first down, etc. Clemson beating us 45-0 was worse, much worse because we had absolutely nothing on either side of the ball.

I also agree with you on the likelihood of fixing some of these problems as they are the result of recruiting misses from years back. Believe me, I was as sick as anyone watching that defensive garbage Thursday night. But overall I have seen worse. Remember Dietzel's last year when he announced his resignation before we were halfway through the schedule. We tried 2 down linemen & UGA & GT ( I think) rushed for about 1000 yards coupled with very little offense?

Unrealistic expectations make this one psychologically tougher to take too. In some past years we had nothing but we also expected nothing.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 08-30-2014 at 11:41 AM.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote