CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Regalcock
Cockypantherfan
ACPhilson
PageUSC
The Yancey
KaneisAble
gadeneer1986
taylorssc
SCohioBoy
HBC Weekly Presser (2106)
Thompson Has Neck In (1508)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1065)
4th & 1 Play (934)
Kentucky prediction (637)
Just Booked my Hotel (546)
So What? (478)
Bad Week For Upstate (354)
Jeopardy: USC and th (275)
Travis Bell's Photos (222)
Just Booked my Hotel for
Best position coach or co
What fish do you eat
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Kentucky prediction
State talent drying up
Cleaned up version: SEC E
Really excited to visit t
QB Recruiting Strategy
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201

Old 08-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default What's your take on our assistant coaches?

I'm not a big "fire this coach, fire that coach" guy. And to can a guy in the season is extremely drastic. That said, here's my (worthless) opinion on our coaches:

I love Spurrier. He has faults but who doesn't? This is an assistant coach thread, so...

Mangus- I like him. I think he does a good job and he's a good recruiter. Safe, IMO.

Spurrier Jr- good coach and recruiter. Wish he'd have done a better job with the non qualifiers but, despite his last name, he's safe for me.

Sands- my jury is out on him. Seems to do a decent job. He needs to push Davis to a monster year.

Elliott- I like him but I'm beginning to cock my eye at him. Shaw bailed that line out so many times last year. Of all the individual units, I was most disappointed in the offensive line on Thursday. They played soft and better man up. He's safe but needs to produce ASAP.

Whammy Ward- He's safe but, as Ellis' players filter out, he won't be safe if his defense is bad two years straight. Next year will be his prove it year, IMO.

Deke Adams- IMO, he better improve this bunch or he should be gone in December. I've not seen much from him in the way of coaching and development.

Botkin- Same as Deke, IMO. I know we have talent at LB but I've not been blown away by their play.

Grady Brown- I think he gets a mulligan this year if the young'uns show some improvement. I think Brown has done a good job.

Joe Robinson- Seems like a nice guy but I thought he should have been let go last year. He can't get guys to block and tackle on STs. And I don't care what he did at LSU.

Odd thread, I know, but ACC football is too painful to watch.

(Sorry for typos...on my phone.)
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: What's your take on our assistant coaches?

Ward is the one I'll have my eye on this year. I understand that we have some youth on defense, but there's no excuse to EVER look as bad as we did Thursday. That was embarrassing. This defense has a LONG LONG LONG way to go if they want to even be slightly productive. If it continues on this same path, wouldn't surprise me to see him gone.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
cockyguitar
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Ward is the one I'll have my eye on this year. I understand that we have some youth on defense, but there's no excuse to EVER look as bad as we did Thursday. That was embarrassing. This defense has a LONG LONG LONG way to go if they want to even be slightly productive. If it continues on this same path, wouldn't surprise me to see him gone.
...and I think it was Ward who said something like this year's team being the best defense he's seen. Just goes to show how important Clowney was to the team. Even if he didn't play, his presence alone made our team better.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
TakeEM
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
TakeEM is sharpening his clawsTakeEM is sharpening his clawsTakeEM is sharpening his clawsTakeEM is sharpening his claws

Really Hot Seat: Adams, Botkin, Robinson

Hot Seat: Ward
TakeEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
cockyguitar
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

I think Spurrier should've made some changes this past offseason to be honest with you, but then again with so many new players coming in I understand. If this season is under the bar then the offseason should be interesting.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

I think Ward, Deke, and Grady ought to be coaching somewhere like Benedict.
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Deke's players have shown zero improvement, even last year I wasn't impressed. That was all talent last year.

Shawn Elliot really needs to figure something out. He recruits well but with our athletes and size on the OL we should be mauling

edit - and Ward.. don't get me started
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Get rid of Ward & you'll go down the tube fast. Look, Spurrier's lack of enthusiasm for recruiting has been well documented. Now you take a guy who is arguably our best recruiter & is well connected & liked in the talent rich Atlanta area. Replace him with a guy that "needs a few seasons to get his feet under him & establish relationships" & see what you get.

If Spurrier was a dynamic recruiter, you might very well get away with that. But with basically 3-4 guys carrying the water for most all our recruiting, canning one of those guys would be a monumental mistake imo.

As for Botkin finding all these diamonds in the rough, Moore is the only one who's showed much of anything so far. Signing guys means squat, signing difference makers is the objective. The jury is still very much out imo.

Adams has great promise as a recruiter, developing players is still very much to be determined.

Sands has to step it up in both areas.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I don't think any of those guys are on the hot seat. If any are it would be Sands and Robinson.

All these guys are pretty good coaches (well they come across as that, though you have to wonder about Elliott sometimes). But they recruit very well. None of them other than Ward and maybe G.A. are ace recruiters, but they are above average recruiters for position coaches.

And we absolutely need that.

Sands seems to do a good job as rb coach, but his recruiting hasn't been as strong as the other guys. Robinson is a head scratcher. Not a very good recruiter, and his units have been lacking so far. Kicking is looking up, and we aren't making mistakes (knock on wood) with snaps and so forth, but big plays like blocks and returns are just not there for us.

Then again I don't blame them exactly. There is no good way to say it, other than it starts at the top with Spurrier. I don't think he gives special teams enough emphasis and practice time. Usually once a season he says "Special teams can have whoever they want to play on it." or "We are going to spend more time on special teams in practice."

And they might do it for a while. But inevitably it will just kind of fall by the wayside and things will go back to the way they were before.

I'm also thinking it might not be fair to blame Elliott for the line's inability to run block. I just don't think Spurrier does that. At least not like Holtz did, or Saban or Bielema does. You have to commit to it, work it during practice, and do it in games even if it is not giving you the yards that give you that little endorphin rush.

I'm made this point several times, but no one cares. He did come pretty close to having a 50/50 run/pass mix at Florida. But what no one tells you is the freakish incredible number of draw plays that were run. That was his rushing play. And it didn't work against teams that could shut down his pass like 92 Alabama, 96 Nebraska, and a number of Florida State teams.

The closest we have come to having a bread and butter running play is the read option with Shaw and Garcia. If he isn't going to let Thompson run it, then we don't have a run game.

I'm not sure how good we would be at it, but there are some things he could do but probably won't. One is totally embrace running with spread concepts. Have Thompson run like Garcia and Shaw (Yes I think he is mobile enough to make a defense respect it enough not to key on the back). Play more Wildcat with Cooper, and play Nosovitch more.

Another thing he could do is actually line up in the I (we know the plays are in the book), and stick with it and try to establish the run game. We actually do have excellent backs, and stars on the offensive linemen. The line is big, athletic, and experienced. They really should be able to do this. I really don't know if we have a qb on the roster that is experienced enough and capable of this kind of play though, since you have to be able to hit some short and intermediate throws along with bombs.

I don't expect him to do either. I know about Spurrier's career and his success. That is true.

But I also know what I see. And unless we find a way to run the ball it is going to be a long season, as regards offensive effectiveness, and keeping the defense off the field.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Ward's strength is recruiting not necessarily player development. Our lapse in good recruiting at DE and CB has cost us in the 2012 and 2013 classes.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

You guys have short leashes.

Thank God I don't work for any of you.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Hot seat.: all if the defensive coaches
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Curiously, I think this is the first year since SOS has been here that he's retained his entire staff from one year to the next. Maybe he shouldn't have.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

I think all of our coaches should be under scrutiny after this game since we pretty much stunk across the board. Defenders couldn't tackle and didn't even look like they knew where they should be on the field. There was nothing special about our special teams (punting was good). Dylan had a decent game but made some dumb decisions and his technique was pretty bad...not getting his feet settled. The OL did awful. Our DL got owned.

Overall we just looked like a very, very, very poorly coached and ill-prepared team.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post

Mangus- I like him. I think he does a good job and he's a good recruiter. Safe, IMO.

Spurrier Jr- good coach and recruiter. Wish he'd have done a better job with the non qualifiers but, despite his last name, he's safe for me.

Sands- my jury is out on him. Seems to do a decent job. He needs to push Davis to a monster year.

Elliott- I like him but I'm beginning to cock my eye at him. Shaw bailed that line out so many times last year. Of all the individual units, I was most disappointed in the offensive line on Thursday. They played soft and better man up. He's safe but needs to produce ASAP.

Whammy Ward- He's safe but, as Ellis' players filter out, he won't be safe if his defense is bad two years straight. Next year will be his prove it year, IMO.

Deke Adams- IMO, he better improve this bunch or he should be gone in December. I've not seen much from him in the way of coaching and development.

Botkin- Same as Deke, IMO. I know we have talent at LB but I've not been blown away by their play.

Grady Brown- I think he gets a mulligan this year if the young'uns show some improvement. I think Brown has done a good job.

Joe Robinson- Seems like a nice guy but I thought he should have been let go last year. He can't get guys to block and tackle on STs. And I don't care what he did at LSU.
Mangus...I agree, he's done a good job. His recruiting theory of focusing on one QB at a time may have hurt us in the past, but he's bringing in guys that (on paper) look good. As for actual results of that recruiting, Nosovitch has struggled, McEvoy (who had tons of athletic talent) left, and Mitch is trying to outplay a walk-on. Scarnecchia by all accounts is learning fast.

Jr....As a coach, we've had a LOT of guys not pan out at WR, for whatever reason. And it seemingly takes us longer to have young guys ready to play than other programs, it takes some guys 2 or 3 years to get up to speed. Some say it's the complexity of the offense, but the sheer number of WR's we've signed over the years that didn't do well make you wonder if we're recruiting the wrong guys or we just can't coach them.

Sands...I can't give an opinion on him. He's young, which is a benefit. Some people think he has an abrasive personality with recruits, which is possible. Of course, it's also possible that the recruits in question were divas that wanted to be catered to. He seems to have done a good job with the RB's he's coached, so to me he gets a mulligan.

Elliott....he basically had to rebuild an OL from scratch. It's relatively easy to bring in an impact WR, QB, RB, etc, and have them contribute at a high level immediately. Building an OL from scratch takes years. Literally. There are a lot of impact WR's, RB's etc. out there, but impact OL are tough to find, then when you find them they've already been offered by the Bama's, LSU's, etc. of the football world. And when you think you're finally building depth a couple of injuries knock all of your progress out. Look at the shuffle we're going through just with Matulis's injury.

Whammy...solid recruiter, we've pulled a lot of talent from the Atlanta area because of him. In past games he's shown an ability to regroup and make changes at halftime. For whatever reason that didn't happen in the TAMU game. And honestly none of us know if he did, and the players were just to overwhelmed to adapt. I think some critical film review and some live fullspeed hitting will get our mojo back. I'd hate to be a walk-on right now, I think they're going to be used as tackling dummies for the next few days.

Deke...people don't like him because he's not Lawing. Maybe that's a good thing he's not like Brad. We lost Dunlap because of Lawing, got in trouble because of Lawing, and basically performed a recruiter short because of Lawing. And the BL fans forget the teams that ran all over his DLines. Deke is doing a good job recruiting, and reportedly is doing a good job coaching. Kelcey credited Deke last year for getting him to step it up.

Botkin...another guy people hated, for whatever reason. The LB's got better last year as the season progressed, and he's doing a solid job recruiting. Now true, our LB's looked shaky Thursday night, but after a couple of days hopefully spent drilling our walk-ons in fullspeed drills they should get their timing down.

Grady...done ok. We've had some DB's hurt, and having Green/Lammons delay enrollment until the last second didn't help. Would be nice to get some bigger DB's that can move, I'm afraid Harris Jr will be snapped in two trying to tackle someone.

JRob...I have no idea how difficult it is to recruit kickers who can kick or punters who can punt. For some reason everyone else seems to find people who can do it, and for some reason about 10% of our 85 man roster seems to be an amalgamation of kickers/punters/FG specialists. At least Fish makes a great holder on FG's.

Was going to leave the HBC out, but decided to toss him back in. He isn't going to change, his penchant for not "preparing hard" and not recruiting hard is well known. It is what it is....kids get impressed when Urban, Saban, or Jimbo go out of their way to come to their HS games, while some recruits can't even meet HBC on unofficial visits because he isn't around. And he has that maddening trend of quitting what's working and reverting to that damn chuck and duck offense trying to relive the 90's. It's not as bad as his first few years here, but it seems to now cost us a game or two every year.

We need to leave the staff alone, we finally have a bit of continuity. These guys will right the ship...
pitchcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
kevhugh
Bowl MVP

Male

kevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurs

Not going to comment on any individual coaches, but I reiterate that turnovers have made this "bend but don't break" defense look a lot better on the field than it does statistically the past two years. Since our last defensive coordinator left, overall defensive statistics have declined each year.
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #17
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

We need a offensive coordinator with more modern thinking. I know SOS says he has to call the plays, but he should know better than anyone that things change. Would you rather call the plays and almost get there or be more involved in every aspect of your team so you can win it all? Our offense has never been good early in the season. Unless you call run Marcus being good. How could SOS not have known how bad our 3-4 was?
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
Cockyteg
Banned

Male

Cockyteg is learning to peck

deke should be gone before ecu. couldn't push clowney.
Cockyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #19
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 7567085
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material

wait, what, did we have any coaches out there Thursday night?
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaP19pY1FI
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockyteg View Post
deke should be gone before ecu. couldn't push clowney.
No one could've pushed Clowney last year. He admitted he didn't listen to his coaches.

He knew before the season started he was going #1. Why bother to listen when you can get by on ability?

What do you think they were going to do, bench him?
pitchcock is online now   Reply With Quote