CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
gamecockgal
gadeneer1986
Jim Lahey
Ericvol2096
cockfight21
Yearofthegamecock
10-2 (2125)
Four UK Players Susp (1424)
Build a New Stadium (1328)
Connor Shaw's fault. (815)
Cleaned up version: (711)
Nosovitch (687)
QB Recruiting Strate (675)
This program has no (583)
Defer Or Not? (454)
Remaining schedules (431)
Hottest seat in CFB?
10-2
400 pasing yards
Defer Or Not?
Funny?
QB Recruiting Strategy
Thoughts on Shawn Elliott
2016 RB Recruiting
Build a New Stadium
2016 - Tavien Feaster

Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #141
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is anybody still optimistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks N Stuff View Post
This seems to be an ongoing theme under Ward. We have some bad defensive performances and it's "we just need to simplify the defense and just let these kids quit thinking, getting confused, etc. and just go out there, line up, and play. We were trying to do too much." ...and then after this event inevitably happens and we make the adjustments, we play a good deal better. What I'm wondering is... why does this keep happening...
I understand what Ward is doing w the 3-4. We don't have the talent to run our base 4-2-5 defense. That said, I believe we have some guys at the tackle position who can provide an interior pass rush.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #142
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Not really optimistic in the best of times. We are staring 0-3 right in the face unless something RADICALLY changes on defense.
Roosterdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #143
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Cocks N Stuff has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
I understand what Ward is doing w the 3-4. We don't have the talent to run our base 4-2-5 defense. That said, I believe we have some guys at the tackle position who can provide an interior pass rush.
Yea, I get the reasoning behind it, but it was an utter failure, and I don't think we really have the DL talent to run the 4-2-5 either. If he is going to continue to run the 3-4, he's definitely going to have to do it differently, at the least.
Cocks N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #144
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Not really optimistic in the best of times. We are staring 0-3 right in the face unless something RADICALLY changes on defense.
Have to agree. Time to accept that 0-3 is a real possibility, and in all likelihood will happen.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #145
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I agree wit 0-3. ECU may not have the same level of talent, but if we give their guys 10 yard cushions, they light us up. And UGA, we will see how good they are tonight. To me, we lose UGA and our goals for the season are done...0-2 in the SEC and we will be fighting to make a decent bowl.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #146
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Have to agree. Time to accept that 0-3 is a real possibility, and in all likelihood will happen.
I talked about ECU in another thread. I wasn't worried about them until late Thursday night. They have a really good QB (Carden), a talented receiver (Hardy), and a game plan that can give us fits. I was hoping ECU would be a tune-up game, but we might actually have to fight for this one. I don't think we lose, but I am more worried about this game than I was a week ago.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #147
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Can we all just get along?......
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #148
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSven View Post
I talked about ECU in another thread. I wasn't worried about them until late Thursday night. They have a really good QB (Carden), a talented receiver (Hardy), and a game plan that can give us fits. I was hoping ECU would be a tune-up game, but we might actually have to fight for this one. I don't think we lose, but I am more worried about this game than I was a week ago.
I thought ECU was a trap game before the season began. Sandwiched between two big time SEC games was tricky, but I ultimately thought we would win. Since Thursday night, I have dramatically changed my stance. ECU runs the same system, and while they don't have the athletes that A&M does, it's a system that's going to give us fits. Based on how we played Thursday night, I see no reason why ECU won't have the same success that the Aggies did. We'll have to progress by MILES to have a chance to win.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #149
zcoop
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 454
zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
I thought ECU was a trap game before the season began. Sandwiched between two big time SEC games was tricky, but I ultimately thought we would win. Since Thursday night, I have dramatically changed my stance. ECU runs the same system, and while they don't have the athletes that A&M does, it's a system that's going to give us fits. Based on how we played Thursday night, I see no reason why ECU won't have the same success that the Aggies did. We'll have to progress by MILES to have a chance to win.
How good is ECU's defense? One would think that our superior offense should be able to score at will against them, right?

Our defense played sorry but I saw too many missed tackles that gave TAM chances to extend drives in that game. I think we can make those plays against ECU and hope the offense can score at will against their defense.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #150
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
How good is ECU's defense? One would think that our superior offense should be able to score at will against them, right?

Our defense played sorry but I saw too many missed tackles that gave TAM chances to extend drives in that game. I think we can make those plays against ECU and hope the offense can score at will against their defense.
This is why I think we win. Our offense will be able to rack up some points.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #151
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSven View Post
This is why I think we win. Our offense will be able to rack up some points.
Wasn't this exactly what was said about A&M?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #152
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Quote:

Lol.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #153
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

If we had turned the ball over six times and got beat by that score I would see room for optimism. We had no answer to their blocking scheme. And their qb was not that great. The few times we put any pressure on him he mis-fired. And don't blame our offensive ineptness on their defense being that great. A Shaw led offense would have won that game in spite of our defense.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #154
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Not the same caliber of athletes or coaches

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #155
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

I don't exactly think the caliber of athletes and coaching we saw from us on Thursday was all that great either.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #156
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

Quote:
Wasn't this exactly what was said about A&M?
Yes, but our offense didn't lose the A&M game. We are supposed to be more balanced than what was shown. For one reason or another, we stopped trying to establish the run way too early. We became one-dimensional and easier to stop. I don't see this happening against ECU.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #157
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

Quote:
I don't exactly think the caliber of athletes and coaching we saw from us on Thursday was all that great either.
I have to agree with you, there. I have issues with both of those facets.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #158
JTJGarnet
Recruit

Male

JTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
This is true. They were still out there trying in the 4th when all hope was lost. Gotta give them that much.
Kinda looked like we mailed it in on A&M's last drive. And that was disappointing 'cause it looked like Mitch and Williams would've gotten a little action on a last possession.
JTJGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #159
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
A Shaw led offense would have won that game in spite of our defense.

Ya no... A Peyton Manning led offense maybe... Maybe.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #160
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Quote:

Did you notice the talent disparity between us and TAMU? Yeah it's about the same for us and ECU... Except the other way. Could their offense give us problems? Certainly. Is it a massive mismatch against us? No. Not even close. Some of you guys need to quit whining and sulking and being silly. It's not very becoming.