CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5706)
Decommitment from Te (951)
Beat Miami (836)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (672)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (650)
Cleveland Browns Hea (632)
Garcia and Clemsux T (621)
Need a dog kennel (254)
Four USC Basketball (187)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (185)
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #101
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114054578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Confused fan here. Why is SOS ticked about D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
I graduated SC in 91, I sat thru some tough games as a student including the FSU and Clemson losses. This is not even close. Yeah our D was awful, but at least we scored. We actually had a chance to be in this game a couple times. Nick Jones not being able to hold onto to that pass right before half hurt.

The offense will be fine. DT played ok, missed some throws though, he will get sharper. The O-line is good and pass protected well. The run game was abandoned early and worried about Mike Davis' injury situation.

The D - well, I don't like the scheme. I don't like how our DB's give a huge cushions. The LB's looked confused and out of place. The DL got no penetration. IT's not as if we are completely devoid of talent on D. We have players. The scheme is wrong and the coaching needs to step up. Our DB's need to press cover. That is how you slow down an A&M type offense.

It just seems too many times over the past couple seasons we are completely unprepared on defense and play way too passively. Last year's D should have been a beast and still we looked passive and confised at times. I like Ward, but something is not clicking.

sums it up for me.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #102
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I graduated SC in 91, I sat thru some tough games as a student including the FSU and Clemson losses. This is not even close. Yeah our D was awful, but at least we scored. We actually had a chance to be in this game a couple times. Nick Jones not being able to hold onto to that pass right before half hurt.

The offense will be fine. DT played ok, missed some throws though, he will get sharper. The O-line is good and pass protected well. The run game was abandoned early and worried about Mike Davis' injury situation.

The D - well, I don't like the scheme. I don't like how our DB's give a huge cushions. The LB's looked confused and out of place. The DL got no penetration. IT's not as if we are completely devoid of talent on D. We have players. The scheme is wrong and the coaching needs to step up. Our DB's need to press cover. That is how you slow down an A&M type offense.

It just seems too many times over the past couple seasons we are completely unprepared on defense and play way too passively. Last year's D should have been a beast and still we looked passive and confised at times. I like Ward, but something is not clicking.
Well said. But overall Ward has done an outstanding job here. Recruiting misses, bad evaluations & plain bad luck have contributed to what we witnessed Thursday night. Ward deserves the chance to fix these problems & I think he will do so. You take away his ability to recruit the Atlanta area & you will see some real problems on the recruiting trail, especially in the down years for in-state talent.

Fact is, in the SOS era we have won far more games with stellar defense than because we were some juggernaut offensive machine.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #103
Wisercock
Walk On

Male

Wisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
He knows the personel situation, but he doesn't sit in on them during film, and he doesn't micro manage them during individual. A head coach should be comfortable leaving his coaches to prepare their players without watching over every move. Ward and the defensive staff did a horrible job coaching these guys up for this game, however young they maybe. A&M figured the defense out quickly, and if they made adjustments on the USC defense, it was hard to find because Hill kept abusing the left side and middle of the field.
I would guess that he will be paying attention now. But I don't want to see him take time off from the offense because the offensive line and the running game needs some work too.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #104
al hough
Walk On

Male

al hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his comb

Folks, class of '56 here, so you know how far I go back. I remember back in the 40's sitting in the endzone watching and listening to the radio and hearing, "an inspired Demon Deacon rose up today..." Also remember watching a Miami team come in the week after losing their all American QB the week before and playing an unheard of freshman you torched us. I have seen many horrible games and to me this was the worst ever. If this same team shows up again, we will not get many W's, I just hope that does not happen!!!
al hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #105
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

We can hope for plenty of upsets today.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #106
kingofnerf
Blue Chip

Male

kingofnerf is making other chickens nervouskingofnerf is making other chickens nervouskingofnerf is making other chickens nervouskingofnerf is making other chickens nervouskingofnerf is making other chickens nervouskingofnerf is making other chickens nervouskingofnerf is making other chickens nervous

It seemed to me like we were in a prevent defense instead of 3-4 most of the game. By that I mean we gave up the part of the field they usually do in the prevent. Maybe the guys didn't know what to do and went to something they understood instead.

You can't fault Ward for trying to innovate and make a change that he thought would make us better. HBC has been known to take those risks, too.

HBC's postgame comments make me think at some point he realized the 3-4 wasn't going to work and pointed that out to Ward. Maybe Ward stuck to his guns instead of caving into his boss and things got worse after the press started praising the 3-4. HBC would have come off as being defeatist if he came out against the 3-4 before it was tried in a real game.

We would be in a bad situation with a first-time head coach, but you have to think HBC may have already been working on a Plan B in case the 3-4 didn't work. He seemed more honest than upset to me in the PG presser, hopefully because he knew what was coming and already has a Plan B.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #107
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by al hough View Post
Folks, class of '56 here, so you know how far I go back. I remember back in the 40's sitting in the endzone watching and listening to the radio and hearing, "an inspired Demon Deacon rose up today..." Also remember watching a Miami team come in the week after losing their all American QB the week before and playing an unheard of freshman you torched us. I have seen many horrible games and to me this was the worst ever. If this same team shows up again, we will not get many W's, I just hope that does not happen!!!
Al you go back a long way. Class of '56 puts you at or about 90 yrs young. You have done well sir. Curious who you are referring to as the Miami unheard freshman. I recall Vinny Testaverde playing the 1986 game but I could certainly be wrong.

As for the loss, it was by 24 pts giving up a ton of yards. We've lost by more than 24 pts more times than I care to remember. Right now it is fresh & the fan base is/was totally shocked but we didn't get beat 59-0. Although it certainly seemed like it
Old 08-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #108
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:

Damn
Old 08-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #109
zcoop
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000404
zcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming in

Quote:
Do you remember our lost to GA Tech 1988? That to me was our worst lost. We were highly ranked and got down 31 - 0 at the half before losing 34-0.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #110
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Do you remember our lost to GA Tech 1988? That to me was our worst lost. We were highly ranked and got down 31 - 0 at the half before losing 34-0.
I do. Was there in Atlanta & we got killed. Think they played on astroturf back then
Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #111
zcoop
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000404
zcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
I do. Was there in Atlanta & we got killed. Think they played on astroturf back then
I was there too and had to face the music at work the next day. We talked much trash before the game to boot. I think we were 6 or 7 and 0 going into the game. That chit really hurt.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #112
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudly

As I said previously, I am class of 91, so I sat thru the FSU massacre, the Clemson drubbing (49-0 I think) and the Ga Tech loss mentioned above. So I am a lot happier these days.

To clarify my previous post, I like Ward and he deserves a chance to fix this. And I am by no means claiming to know more than any coach, I just feel we should play an aggressive 4-3, with DB's who can press cover. This defense seems, well, too defensive, too passive - my two cents...
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #113
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

I can feel and understand everyone's pain on this game. I am old enough to know about all of our previous losses in the past, but never has the hype for us to be so good been stated before a game and we were ranked #9 in the nation and we played the FIRST EVER GAME ON THE SEC NETWORK BEFORE A NATIONAL AUDIENCE ONLY TO HAVE OUR BUTTS HANDED TO US!!! To make matters worse, Texas A&M could have scored at the end of the game as WE COULD NOT STOP THEM ON ANYTHING and thank goodness their coach decided not to score 7 more points. This has to rank up there with any previous seasons loss as we had so much riding on this game. We are in a terrible fix and unless our coaches can coach up a miracle, it could turn out to be a very, very, ugly season. We have no SEC Caliber Defensive Lineman on this team that I can see. We will be hard pressed to win against any good football team this year.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #114
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Thank you. I'm not that far back but I believe it's the worst I've seen
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #115
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
As I said previously, I am class of 91, so I sat thru the FSU massacre, the Clemson drubbing (49-0 I think) and the Ga Tech loss mentioned above. So I am a lot happier these days.

To clarify my previous post, I like Ward and he deserves a chance to fix this. And I am by no means claiming to know more than any coach, I just feel we should play an aggressive 4-3, with DB's who can press cover. This defense seems, well, too defensive, too passive - my two cents...
I don't care what defense we play as long as we have good technique and fundamentals
Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #116
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Todd Ellis gave up a pick six early. I think Tech had a ten game losing streak going into the game. Yeah, that was a lot worse than this one.

Except, trips to Atlanta are always fun.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #117
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervousLatti2001 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Well said. But overall Ward has done an outstanding job here. Recruiting misses, bad evaluations & plain bad luck have contributed to what we witnessed Thursday night. Ward deserves the chance to fix these problems & I think he will do so. You take away his ability to recruit the Atlanta area & you will see some real problems on the recruiting trail, especially in the down years for in-state talent.

Fact is, in the SOS era we have won far more games with stellar defense than because we were some juggernaut offensive machine.

And who do you think evaluates those recruits, and missed on them??? Ward?

Do you think you could manage to recruit a DB or two every year if your salary was $500K+????? How hard can it be to maintain position groups?

The answer is that Ward's seat is very hot right now since Clowney can't cover for him any more. USC's defense is the laughing stock of the country after Thurs night, and that was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen.....ever!
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #118
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post

Do you think you could manage to recruit a DB or two every year if your salary was $500K+????? How hard can it be to maintain position groups?

The answer is that Ward's seat is very hot right now since Clowney can't cover for him any more. USC's defense is the laughing stock of the country after Thurs night, and that was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen.....ever!
It is damn sure pretty close to the worst. I would put it on the level of the Wally Burnham defenses with the ducking of the heads and arm tackling. Absolutely baffles me how you can practice all spring and early August and not know that you players have such poor tackling skills. You are correct, I think we are the laughing stock on defense and unless we come out and shut down ECU, I will continue to feel this way. I still say, how in the hell do you get ready for the next game plan and correct poor fundamentals???
Old 08-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #119
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Curse View Post
It is damn sure pretty close to the worst. I would put it on the level of the Wally Burnham defenses with the ducking of the heads and arm tackling. Absolutely baffles me how you can practice all spring and early August and not know that you players have such poor tackling skills. You are correct, I think we are the laughing stock on defense and unless we come out and shut down ECU, I will continue to feel this way. I still say, how in the hell do you get ready for the next game plan and correct poor fundamentals???
This is the thing I simply can't get past. Other posts here have pointed out that our D was said to look good in fall camp. That can ONLY mean our offense is awful as well. It's simply impossible to believe that Thursday night was the first clue our coaches had the D was no good. If so, what's the point of practicing? And, it's not that A&M was simply outplaying us. Our D just look confused, unsettled, out of place. Nobody knew what to do and A&M took advantage of it.

As much as the bad D concerned me, it's more concerning how no member of our multi-million dollar coaching staff anticipated it.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #120
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post

Show me one shred of proof Ward's on the hot seat. BTW since we're now gonna start throwing people under the bus for recruiting misses. Who do you suppose evaluated Beecher, Smelley, Cade Thompson, Hillary, McCollum, the list goes on so long that Shaw is the 1st, and only, QB to finish his eligibility here. Thompson will be the 2nd. You ready to fire Spurrier too?

Spurrier is the best we've ever had here & Ward's going nowhere.