CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
JerseyBird
ConwayGamecock
Latti
usc1
FanofCarolina1
The Yancey
Seladen
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
**USC vs. Clemson GA (3884)
looks like we have 2 (1756)
Beat Miami (665)
Decommitment from Te (628)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (547)
Garcia and Clemsux T (511)
Frank Martin's Game (505)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (501)
Cleveland Browns Hea (421)
Need a dog kennel (175)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
So, why is next year goin
Previewing Clemson
2014 - 2015 Atlanta Brave
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
looks like we have 2 OL r
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
Beat Miami

Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #81
Reeser
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Reeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his comb
Default Re: Predict the Season (After Game 1)

I think we're better than shown on Thursday night. Yes i saw our flaws on defense but i also saw a lot of inexperience. A lot of these kids are straight from high school and not used to this kind of environment. The nerves will settle and the talent will come out. These guys watch ESPN and hear the coaches talking. I'm still optimistic about this football season. A lot of players on our team didnt even touch the field.
With all that said my prediction:

#21 Texas A&M: L52-28 (Obviously)
East Carolina: W, Carolina's secondary get's settled.
#12 Georgia: W, Surprise everyone with improvement in a grind out game
Vanderbilt: W, not even close
#24 Missouri W, Missouri takes a step back
Kentucky W, not close
Furman W, see above
#6 Auburn W, Spurrier reaches into his bags of tricks and we get the miracle in Jordan Hare
Tennessee W, play strong coming off an emotional W
Florida W, slug it out to win a low scoring game.
South Alabama W, promising tune up game
#16 Clemson W, by 2 scores

I see potential in our young secondary, raw but its there. Athletically they are ballers but they need to learn the playbook. Our D-Line is the biggest concern. We have to be able to pressure the QB. Our D-Line got abused. We need bigger players to rush the ends. English and Harris are just too small and not being able to get past the OL.

But we have the coaching staff to make the adjustments. I believe that our team is still a strong contender. We have been beaten by teams we should have stomped but we get beaten handily by a good team and our season is over? Their receivers are without a doubt some of the best in the league. Our tackling will get better. Texas A&M had a lot of time to study us. Let's take it one game at a time and i believe our season will be a lot better than most of yall expect.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #82
Wisercock
Walk On

Male

Wisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spursWisercock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Realistically I think 8-4 with loses to A&M, Auburn, Fla and Clemson or UGA. I would be shocked if we finished better, but not if we finished 7-5.

I don't think we're as bad as we showed last night, but I also don't think we're a anywhere close to being a Top 20 team. Rebuilding year fellas.
Texas A&M - L
East Carolina - L
Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - L
Missouri - W
@Kentucky - W
Furman - W
@Auburn - L (very, very close game)
Tennessee - W
@Florida - W (upset on the road)
South Alabama - W
@Clemson - L

I think we are looking at a 6-6 season with some dramatic improvement by October. If we beat ECU then 7-5 ... which would be a pretty dramatic turnaround. (But we could also lose to Florida on the road and beat Clemson.)
Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #83
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Texas A&M - L
East Carolina - W
Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - W
Missouri - W
@Kentucky - W
Furman - W
@Auburn - L
Tennessee -W
@Florida - L
South Alabama - W
@Clemson - W

8-4 (Tax Slayer Bowl against Iowa)
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #84
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

We lost one game, and everyone expects us to only win 6 or 7 games? wtf
Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #85
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
We lost one game, and everyone expects us to only win 6 or 7 games? wtf
Dude, you can be a sunshine pumper all you want, but our defense gave up 99 plays and almost 700 yards....AT HOME. That doesn't scream a 11 win season. Teams sometimes take a step back, it happens.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #86
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Dude, you can be a sunshine pumper all you want, but our defense gave up 99 plays and almost 700 yards....AT HOME. That doesn't scream a 11 win season. Teams sometimes take a step back, it happens.
I never said we didn't take a step back, but how do you know that A&M just isn't that good? I mean, we were going to lose our home winning streak sometime, it was going to happen eventually.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #87
Senior Rooster
Recruit

Male

Senior Rooster has feathers coming inSenior Rooster has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Texas A&M - L
East Carolina - W
Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - W
Missouri - W
@Kentucky - W
Furman - W
@Auburn - L
Tennessee -W
@Florida - L
South Alabama - W
@Clemson - W

8-4 (Tax Slayer Bowl against Iowa)
I'm hoping for 8-4, wishing for 9-3, praying for 10-2 with a win in death valley.

East Carolina - W
Georgia - W
@ Vanderbilt - W
Missouri - W
@Kentucky - W
Furman - W
@Auburn - L
Tennessee -W
@Florida - L
South Alabama - W
@Clemson - W

Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #88
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I feel better about the Clemson game now...
Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 AM   #89
LeapOfFaith
Walk On

Male

LeapOfFaith has hatched from the shell

Texas A&M LOSS
East Carolina WIN
Georgia LOSS
@ Vanderbilt WIN
Missouri WIN
@Kentucky WIN
Furman WIN
@Auburn LOSS
Tennessee WIN
@Florida LOSS
South Alabama WIN
@Clemson LOSS

PREDICTED RECORD: 7-5

I believe A&M is better than many expected, but I still am concerned with some of the games this year. We will improve, but our losses will be based on the situations. First, Georgia will be running wild on us. Two weeks won't be enough time for us to fix our issues before they come to town. Second, Auburn will be a difficult game to win on the road. Not to mention, we never fare well against them. They are a solid team and this being on the road won't help either. Then, Florida may be a loss only because it is in the Swamp. Silly yes, and they are a bad team, but we aren't the best on the road...especially there. I think we'll slip up and drop that one. Finally, Clemson will be another tough test. This one is the biggest toss up against the other losses. The question here is who will improve the most come season's end. I think Clemson will.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong and I hope we can finish strong. We will definitely see!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #90
GamecockSuperFan
6-6

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

8-4 / 9-3 would be a good season assuming our defense continues to play that way.

9,11,11,11,9 wins over a 5 year stretch along with a 6th straight win over clemson would be impressive
GamecockSuperFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #91
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

We beat ECU, lose to Georgia, turn the ship around and win out.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #92
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Unless we see improvement in the running game & defense I see 6-6. If both of those improve then 8-4 is possible. Based on Thursday night 8-4 would look to be the ceiling on this team. That would not be a disaster imo based on the lack of talent & inexperience that exist at certain key areas.

Next yr if we get all these JUCO's (and turn DJ Jones) into to school & if, big if, they are as advertised then multiple guys currently in the front 7 will be reserves come next Sept. DB's should be much improved by then & I think they will be. Wildcard then becomes the QB position & overall offense. All is not lost this year but it's downright obvious we're not championship material this year.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #93
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Texas A&M - L
East Carolina - L
Georgia - L
@ Vanderbilt - L
Missouri - W
@Kentucky - W
Furman - W
@Auburn - L (very, very close game)
Tennessee - W
@Florida - W (upset on the road)
South Alabama - W
@Clemson - L

I think we are looking at a 6-6 season with some dramatic improvement by October. If we beat ECU then 7-5 ... which would be a pretty dramatic turnaround. (But we could also lose to Florida on the road and beat Clemson.)

We lose to Vandy? Really come on people.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #94
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti View Post
We lose to Vandy? Really come on people.
Didn't Vandy just get stomped by Temple? I thought the same thing when I saw that.
peterlemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #95
Latti
Uscooper

Male

Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
Didn't Vandy just get stomped by Temple? I thought the same thing when I saw that.

Yes lost by 30. People need to get off the damn ledge.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:29 PM   #96
Latti
Uscooper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazcock View Post
If the Defense gets better, 8-4.. If the defense still looks like it did thursday...1-11.. Call me a negative Nancy or whatever you want, but if any of you think's that the defense that showed up Thursday has a shot at winning ANY game this year, you are only fooling yourself..

I'll beat my house we don't lose 11. The stupidity on the interwebs is crazy.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #97
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Defense looks bad, but few teams on the schedule have the offensive firepower that A&M does. Those teams are Georgia, Auburn, and Clemson, and hopefully the D will have improved by those games.

That said, I'm also concerned about the offense. 4 scores in 11 drives against what looks like a mediocre A&M defense isn't good.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #98
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

If we lose to Vandy we're in deep dodo. Tell you what though, my confidence level at this moment of beating KY on the road isn't more than a 6 on a 1-10 scale. By the time that game rolls around it might be an 8 might also be a 4.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #99
Red Devil
Starter

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

8-4 or worse should spell the end for Elliot, Ward and Adams.