CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
kingofnerf
4Runner
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Storm Of Spurs
ReadR00ster
QCB
CBS: SOS to Florida? (3151)
Juco QBs? (1146)
SDS grades the Furma (904)
we can STILL win the (889)
Auburn/USC point spr (753)
How do you want Aubu (653)
Whenever I Get Depre (650)
If the Head Ball Coa (504)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (323)
When did it change ? (240)
Cann tipping plays?
Juco QBs?
Williams and Mitch
How do you want Auburn to
we can STILL win the east
Auburn/USC point spread
Just started playing &quo
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
2016 - Issac Nauta
CBS: SOS to Florida?

Old 08-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9479
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Question

I think it has everything to do with staff turnover. Look at this years class and how they've done a great job of recruiting strong at every position. This has also been the first year we've been able to keep our entire staff intact. Staffing needs to be consistent if our recruiting classes ever have a chance. Just my opinion
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #22
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
the starting 4 on the DL are Lawing's players.....

Yep, and people forget the RB's we faced during Lawing's tenure that had Heisman award winning games against us. I think Darren McFadden is still running.

Lawing wasn't the magic potion some make him out to be.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
What's your point here? They may be Lawings players, but they certainly aren't playing like Lawings players, which was my original point. Brad Lawing could generate pressure with his players. Pretty obvious that Deke can't.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #24
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post
Recruiting poorly translates to a weak on-field performance? Oh, weird. Don't say this on the recruiting board, though, or you'll get banned. Trust me, I know.

We always seem to have positional unit problems year by year and this (DE, CB) is just another example in a long line of them. We missed on 3 DEs last year (one of them for the second time) and never truly capitalized on the Clowney hype at that position. CB had some attrition but we still recruited poorly there, too.

To be fair, the past few years have been absolutely brutal for local talent. You're seeing that reality manifested on the field.
This is a great post. I've been saying this for a couple of years. Finishing 16th in the nation is all fine, well, and good, until you look up and realize that's only good enough for 8th or 9th in the conference. That caught up to us Thursday night in the ugliest of ways.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #25
CheckYoAnklez
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
CheckYoAnklez has feathers coming inCheckYoAnklez has feathers coming inCheckYoAnklez has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
Not saying I disagree, but somehow Michigan State is able to field a ferocious, smash-mouth defense every year with pretty much all 3* and lower.
Well, to be fair.. Michigan State doesn't quite play the offenses, we do. Although, you're right. They're defense is ferocious every year it seems like. Could be better coaching.
CheckYoAnklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #26
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
What's your point here? They may be Lawings players, but they certainly aren't playing like Lawings players, which was my original point. Brad Lawing could generate pressure with his players. Pretty obvious that Deke can't.
Did you ever watch any of our games when Lawing was here??

And since you brought that up, Deke had Brad's players last year, and a chunk of them this year.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #27
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb

Quote:
So were Clowney, Taylor, Quarells and Taylor.......... What's your point?
gin house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 AM   #28
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
my point is Lawing was a mediocre recruiter and a mediocre coach....name all the guys he put in the NFL that actually played in the NFL....a few, but not many....

In one year, Deke has out recruited anything Lawing ever did.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:16 AM   #29
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin house View Post
So were Clowney, Taylor, Quarells and Taylor.......... What's your point?
how long was Lawing at Carolina.....he didn't put many in the NfL....and there's been plenty of discussion of how Lawing never really pushed Clowney.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #30
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

gin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his combgin house is developing his comb

Quote:
how long was Lawing at Carolina.....he didn't put many in the NfL....and there's been plenty of discussion of how Lawing never really pushed Clowney.
I've never really checked but what does the number he's put in the NFL have to do with how our defensive line play. I will say I NEVER saw him field a unit like I saw Thursday night. The Defense has ALWAYS been what keeps us in games. Discussion of Lawwin never pushing Clowney..... I heard they had a little issue when Clowney got here but older players (Ingram) helped him understand you will listen to Lawwing. I've never heard any other talk about it. Lawwing produces talent with coaching. You can have all the talent you want and lose if they're not coached up. I'll say this is what bothers me most about our recruiting........ We tend to go after the way underrated guys or the diamonds in the rough........ There's generally a reason they are underrated. I realize sometimes you get a great one out of the bunch but then again you're stuck with the rest of the bunch.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #31
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

In the game on Thursday we did not display that we had talent or coaching at any defensive position. I still say as much as I love to have SC guys on the team, we are going to have to recruit nationally to remain competitive in the SEC. Spurrier needs to take a more active part and use that name recognition to get it done.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I will say I NEVER saw him field a unit like I saw Thursday night. The Defense has ALWAYS been what keeps us in games. Lawwing produces talent with coaching.
You must not remember the curbstompings Florida and Arkansas gave us while Lawing was DL coach.

You must not remember us losing Carlos Dunlap because of Lawing.

You must not remember us getting dinged by the NCAA because he was calling recruits during dead times.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #33
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
You must not remember the curbstompings Florida and Arkansas gave us while Lawing was DL coach.

You must not remember us losing Carlos Dunlap because of Lawing.

You must not remember us getting dinged by the NCAA because he was calling recruits during dead times.
Lol...... That's a piss poor response. We've always been owned by Florida and we don't hold the better head to head against Arkansas. Losing Carlos Dunlap????? Who cares? He didn't want to be here or he would have signed here. You'd be surprised at the recruiting violations that are done every year by many coaches. If that's the bad of Lawwing there's nothing to worry about. He got the best out of his guys. I know that.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #34
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
I've never really checked but what does the number he's put in the NFL have to do with how our defensive line play. I will say I NEVER saw him field a unit like I saw Thursday night. The Defense has ALWAYS been what keeps us in games. Discussion of Lawwin never pushing Clowney..... I heard they had a little issue when Clowney got here but older players (Ingram) helped him understand you will listen to Lawwing. I've never heard any other talk about it. Lawwing produces talent with coaching. You can have all the talent you want and lose if they're not coached up. I'll say this is what bothers me most about our recruiting........ We tend to go after the way underrated guys or the diamonds in the rough........ There's generally a reason they are underrated. I realize sometimes you get a great one out of the bunch but then again you're stuck with the rest of the bunch.
we've had a top 15 recruiting classes every year the last 4-5 and 2015 may be top 5.....so it's not like our coaches are not getting good talent as your post suggests....
Old 09-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #35
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
we've had a top 15 recruiting classes every year the last 4-5 and 2015 may be top 5.....so it's not like our coaches are not getting good talent as your post suggests....
Lol.... Then you tell me why we got smacked in the mouth by a freshman QB in our own house for the record of yards allowed? Recruiting rankings are fun and all but it's a joke. Sheer numbers can rank a class higher than a smaller one with better players. We may have good talent but I sure didn't see anything other than Skai Moore and maybe Gurley Thursday night. I honestly don't know that I've ever seen as bad a defense as I saw. Either our coaches just weren't prepared, our talent is subpar, Texas A&M is a great team (NOT) or there's no superstar talent to bail out the team and coaches. You tell me, why?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #36
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Lol.... Then you tell me why we got smacked in the mouth by a freshman QB in our own house for the record of yards allowed? Recruiting rankings are fun and all but it's a joke. Sheer numbers can rank a class higher than a smaller one with better players. We may have good talent but I sure didn't see anything other than Skai Moore and maybe Gurley Thursday night. I honestly don't know that I've ever seen as bad a defense as I saw. Either our coaches just weren't prepared, our talent is subpar, Texas A&M is a great team (NOT) or there's no superstar talent to bail out the team and coaches. You tell me, why?
atm is very talented, our talent is subpar at present because recent recruiting classes failed to get the guys we needed for this season or they too many left early and it caught up with us. But I must say that our coaches WERE NOT prepared 1 lick for that game and it showed.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #37
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
This is a great post. I've been saying this for a couple of years. Finishing 16th in the nation is all fine, well, and good, until you look up and realize that's only good enough for 8th or 9th in the conference. That caught up to us Thursday night in the ugliest of ways.
I don't know how many times I have to say this but we have won 33 games the last 3 years and 42 games the last 4 years....those wins rank us in the top 5.....every year the last 4, we have finished the season ranked higher than the previous season. I think you have totally unrealistic expectations and you love nothing more than say as many negative things as you can about the coaches, recruits and players......and the other clown you responded to, he's not worthy of a response. I think you're a fan, but it's sad to see someone as negative as you.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #38
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
he was a soph QB, not a freshman....they had superior players than us at most positions. we had a bad scheme trying to stop them....we had a lot of new/young faces trying to play a scheme they didn't understand nor did they fit.....they were crisp and precise in their execution and play calling.....some of the loss was on the coaches, some on the players....I think you'll see an improvement going forward.....with more effort and aggression. I hope we dump the 3-4......it's not going to work for us this year.

By the way, that same team scored 42 on Alabama last year....much more than any other team they faced....and I think they have better players on both offense and defense than they did last year. They have had a top 5 recruiting class the last couple of years and it shows....recruiting ranking does matter.
what else you got....
Old 09-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #39
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Yeah atm is on an instant rise almost over night in football terms but we have to not focus on what they are doing and keep our heads on straight and it will work out for us.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #40
gin house
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
he was a soph QB, not a freshman....they had superior players than us at most positions. we had a bad scheme trying to stop them....we had a lot of new/young faces trying to play a scheme they didn't understand nor did they fit.....they were crisp and precise in their execution and play calling.....some of the loss was on the coaches, some on the players....I think you'll see an improvement going forward.....with more effort and aggression. I hope we dump the 3-4......it's not going to work for us this year.

By the way, that same team scored 42 on Alabama last year....much more than any other team they faced....and I think they have better players on both offense and defense than they did last year. They have had a top 5 recruiting class the last couple of years and it shows....recruiting ranking does matter.
what else you got....
1. Freshman/sophomore..... Should it matter?
2. I don't think we had a scheme.... You can't be behind receivers by 5 yards on every play. The whole middle of the field was wide open for the RB's. I'm shocked it wasn't worse. It was pick your poison. We couldn't defend either.
3. That same team didn't score 42 on Bama. There are 3 first rounders in the pros that were on that team. Johny Football and Mike Evans were great college players.
4. TAMU also played many freshmen.
5. The last 3 years we beat plenty of teams that had and stockpiled talent the recruiting ranking wouldn't have us on the same page with. I'm all about recruiting known talent. What bothers me is the "projects" and under the radar guys that never seem to come out from under the radar. Our success depend on the talent in the state of SC. We got Clowney, Gilmore, Holloman, Swearinger, Alshon, Bruce Ellington, Devin Taylor, Kelcey Quarells and so on to come here from instate and we won. I understand this state doesn't have the numbers of the other states around us but our roster is full of out of state guys that can't beat out freshmen at corner...... I'm not a genius but there's no superstar talent on this team. Absolutely none. I have a problem with that. Like Spurrier said we had very little on the preseason SEC teams. None on the first team. That's uncalled for. I hope we get better but if you think this team will match the last three years you'll be disappointed. The defensive coaching isn't there. They sure can recruit but Play......Na.