CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ericvol2096
GamecockSuperFan
robgusc76
cocks are us
El Cid Ranger
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
l^l^lBGCock
jellafever
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2549)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (1024)
Herbstreit on " (946)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (936)
SEC QB's in the Red (918)
Little know stat (We (872)
Gamecockology Helms (826)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (674)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (508)
Where do you like to (430)
Where do you like to sit
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Tennessee - South Carolin
This season and recruitin
Little know stat (Week 10
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
We're going to the NCAA T
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi

Old 08-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #121
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Re: Confused fan here. Why is SOS ticked about D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Show me one shred of proof Ward's seat is hot right now. BTW since we're now gonna start throwing people under the bus for recruiting misses. Who do you suppose evaluated Beecher, Smelley, Cade Thompson, Hillary, McCollum, the list goes on so long that Shaw is the 1st, and only, QB to finish his eligibility here. Thompson will be the 2nd. You ready to fire Spurrier too?

Spurrier is the best we've ever had here & Ward's going nowhere.
I think it's fair to ask why we've only had one successful QB in SOS's time here.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #122
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
I think it's fair to ask why we've only had one successful QB in SOS's time here.
You have to admit Garcia was successful. How many times did he beat Clemson?
Also, Thompson beat Clemson so he was successful. Shaw, Thompson, Garcia, ... dang when you think of it we have had a good number of successful QBs.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #123
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
This is the thing I simply can't get past. Other posts here have pointed out that our D was said to look good in fall camp. That can ONLY mean our offense is awful as well. It's simply impossible to believe that Thursday night was the first clue our coaches had the D was no good. If so, what's the point of practicing? And, it's not that A&M was simply outplaying us. Our D just look confused, unsettled, out of place. Nobody knew what to do and A&M took advantage of it.

As much as the bad D concerned me, it's more concerning how no member of our multi-million dollar coaching staff anticipated it.
You wont get an argument from me on this. What were they watching??
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #124
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Do you remember this GC article a few weeks ago regarding Mike Davis?

Quote:
“Mike Davis has been hurt, he hasn’t practiced all week,” coach Steve Spurrier told the Sportstalk radio network after Wednesday’s practice. “I don’t know if he’d even be able to start or not. But we got Brandon Wilds, he’s ready to go. Shon Carson, Dave Williams, so we’re in good shape there.”

Wednesday’s practice was closed with no media availability afterward. A USC sports information official was unclear as to why Sportstalk was able to speak to Spurrier at the end of practice
A lot of people here said, "Oh, that's probably just one of HBC's old smoke-and-mirrors deals." Thursday night we found out it wasn't.

How does a stout RB like MD get bruised ribs if guys aren't hitting in practice?

Maybe we don't hit hard in practice because guys don't know how to dial it back. That's not necessarily a problem but they need to find a middle ground if that's the case.

The tackling issue may correct itself real soon if they can figure out a way to hit in practice without hurting key players if that's the case. It may not be as bad as it looks.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #125
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Also, Thompson beat Clemson so he was successful. Shaw, Thompson, Garcia, ... dang when you think of it we have had a good number of successful QBs.
Garcia was more about unfulfilled potential than anything else. Too inconsistent and too many suspensions.

Thompson? One win over Clemson and one Hail Mary to win a bowl game don't make a successful QB.

Shaw is the only QB we've had who has prolonged success.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #126
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I thought so too
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #127
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Show me one shred of proof Ward's on the hot seat. BTW since we're now gonna start throwing people under the bus for recruiting misses. Who do you suppose evaluated Beecher, Smelley, Cade Thompson, Hillary, McCollum, the list goes on so long that Shaw is the 1st, and only, QB to finish his eligibility here. Thompson will be the 2nd. You ready to fire Spurrier too?

Spurrier is the best we've ever had here & Ward's going nowhere.
Don't include The HBC in what I said. Of course the HBC is the best we've ever had!

On the other hand, what has Ward done? The defense has been crumbling since EJ left, and there is NO excuse for what happened Thurs night. Maybe I should rephrase: Ward should be on the hot seat right now.
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #128
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Successful QB's?!?!? We're talking about the need for an above average defense right now!!!!! "Successful" would be too much to ask right now as "average" would be a HUGE improvement in defense!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #129
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post
Don't include The HBC in what I said. Of course the HBC is the best we've ever had!

On the other hand, what has Ward done? The defense has been crumbling since EJ left, and there is NO excuse for what happened Thurs night. Maybe I should rephrase: Ward should be on the hot seat right now.
Crumbling since EJ left? Get real, that's the problem with some of you folks on this board. Give me the status of our D with EJ vs now. Nix had a similar problem that Ward's now getting.

Hell Charlie Strong wasn't good enough for some of you either but he went on to Fla and is now a pretty good head coach. Miss me with the bullshit. Critique the guy but cut the shit man.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:01 AM   #130
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Crumbling since EJ left? Get real, that's the problem with some of you folks on this board. Give me the status of our D with EJ vs now. Nix had a similar problem that Ward's now getting.

Hell Charlie Strong wasn't good enough for some of you either but he went on to Fla and is now a pretty good head coach. Miss me with the bullshit. Critique the guy but cut the shit man.
Want proof? How about a team setting records against USC on Thurs night? The fact that it was a "record" would sugget it was the most yards ever gained against USC, so what other evidence do you need? It is a fact that was the worst defensive showing by USC EVER.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 AM   #131
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post

Just keep making xxxx up. Last year USC was 12th in the nation in scoring defense & 19th in total defense. If that's crumbling what word would you use to describe an offense that was rated 34th (total offense)?

In 2012 USC was 13th in scoring defense & 11th in total defense.

Now why don't you back up your argument & give us the offensive stats & lets see how they stack up against the defensive stats you claim are so pitiful since Ward took over.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 08-31-2014 at 01:22 AM.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #132
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
You're free to believe the earth is flat if it suits you. I don't know what you define as "ever". Maybe you're young & think football started here 20 yrs ago. But I can assure you that we've played many games worst than what we saw Thursday night. FSU came in here one time & beat us something in the range of 59-0. I could give you multiple other examples but I've tried to erase them from my mind & have no desire to relive them. This is not even top 10.
TAMU had 680 yds offense.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #133
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
If the defense performed well in fall camp then that can only mean our offense is awful. Anyone who has ever played a down of competitive football knows there's simply now way on earth there can be that big of a discrepancy between practice performance and game performance. From "good in fall camp" to "worst ever performance in the history of the program??" No sir.
this is the problem.....you never know how a team is going to perform against another team.....players get used to their teammates abilities in practice and learn how to best play against them......the coaches had seen our front 4 and LB play last year and they performed pretty well......same for the safeties......only the CB were totally untested.....so how did they play so bad since they never payed that bad before......partly first game, partly playing a new defense, partly up tempo they ran 100 plays and we wore down, but mostly A&M's offensive players were just that much better and different than anything we've played against before. We've all seen lots of games over the years, but I have never seen an offense that was run that crisp and precise......we did make a lot of mistakes so we made it easier on them than we should have, but still you've got to give credit where credit is due......let's just hope we can clean up some of the problems and come out and play much better next week....if not, then I suggest you spend a lot more time in your favorite liquor store.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:16 AM   #134
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
How in the hell can you blame Spurrier?
Simple bro how can you not? We have beaten teams with offenses like A&ms many times and how you ask? By our offensive play calling the best defense for an offense like theirs is keep them off the field. We were only down 10 points and Spurrier who calls ALL of our offensive plays abandoned our gameplan. Any more questions?
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 AM   #135
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Simple bro how can you not? We have beaten teams with offenses like A&ms many times and how you ask? By our offensive play calling the best defense for an offense like theirs is keep them off the field. We were only down 10 points and Spurrier who calls ALL of our offensive plays abandoned our gameplan. Any more questions?
we have not beaten teams with offenses like A&M.....some ran similar offenses, but none ran them as well as A&M did.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 AM   #136
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Let me use Alabama's 2013 schedule as an example......if you'll notice A&M scored 42 on them last year. Now look at the rest of the season and how many points Alabama gave up. Let me help, it was 6, 0, 3, 7, 0, 10, 17, 7, 0, 28. Plus Bama had the benefit of playing VaTech first before playing A&M. I'm not saying that our defense is anywhere close to being as good as there's, but A&M scored more on them, by far, than any other team did. My point is that A&M's offense is real good, better than any offense we'll see this year. If we just make some adjustments, simplify things, and play with some emotion, I think we'll see a big improvement the rest of the year. Hopefully.

2013 Alabama Crimson Tide Football Schedule
Final Record: 11-2, 7-1 (SEC)

Saturday
Aug. 31 Virginia Tech Hokies
Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA Won 35-10 ---
Saturday
Sept. 7 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday
Sept. 14 at Texas A&M Aggies
Kyle Field, College Station, TX Won 49-42 ---
Saturday
Sept. 21 Colorado State Rams
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Won 31-6 ---
Saturday
Sept. 28 Ole Miss Rebels
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Won 25-0 ---
Saturday
Oct. 5 Georgia State Panthers
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Won 45-3 ---
Saturday
Oct. 12 at Kentucky Wildcats
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY Won 48-7 ---
Saturday
Oct. 19 Arkansas Razorbacks
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Won 52-0 ---
Saturday
Oct. 26 Tennessee Volunteers
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Won 45-10 ---
Saturday
Nov. 2 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday
Nov. 9 LSU Tigers
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Won 38-17 ---
Saturday
Nov. 16 at Mississippi State Bulldogs
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 20-7 ---
Saturday
Nov. 23 Chattanooga Mocs
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Won 49-0 ---
Saturday
Nov. 30 at Auburn Tigers
Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, AL Lost 34-28 ---
Old 08-31-2014, 04:08 AM   #137
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
we have not beaten teams with offenses like A&M.....some ran similar offenses, but none ran them as well as A&M did.
True but will our strategy against the others not work against atm if we actually kept to it?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:08 AM   #138
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
True but will our strategy against the others not work against atm if we actually kept to it?
They have been beaten so it can be done.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #139
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstick View Post
Cause you're no fan...just a Clempson troll! Get out of here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
Shut up. Being critical of your own team is essential. Being a sunshine pumper helps no one.
highstick knows what he's talking about. 18Istheman is a long time tater troll. For years he's been doing this on another gamecock site. Now that site is closed down he's bringing his fun and games here. You'll soon learn for yourself.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #140
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
TAMU had 680 yds offense.

I know I was there & saw every stinkin one of those yards. I've already said it was one of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen. But we also scored 28 & had 400+ yards ourselves. We've been beaten much worse than that multiple times (45-0, 59-0) where we were totally inept on both sides of the ball & the game was over in the 1st qtr. Hell, MSU came in here 1 yr, ran the opening kickoff back & didn't need another point to win. They unfortunately did realize that at the time & kept scoring anyway.

It's simple math. We lost by 24 points & that is what decides the outcome. If yards allowed was the end all then I've got some disturbing news for you. Clemson beat us last year.

BTW if we go to College Station next year, give up 600 yards & get beat 50-0 would the 52-28 score still be worse?
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote