CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
Latt7more
taylorssc
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
gadeneer1986
Grit_And_Steel
usc1
Does South Carolina (1601)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (871)
Rest of the season p (859)
Let us clarify some (646)
Tennessee kickoff an (623)
Tennessee Game Time (621)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (575)
Just thought of some (491)
Is Clowney back toni (472)
Let us clarify some thing
Why is everyone anticipat
Miss St. defense
How do you want Auburn to
Bruce Ellington's First T
Official NHL 2014-2015 Se
How did we not make it.
Thoughts on the basketbal
Nick Saban on frustration
CBS: SOS to Florida?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #21
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Sumlin is an excellent coach. As far as facilities, it hurts us that we're in one of the poorest states in the country. There is so much oil money and so many corporate headquarters in Texas and, while we do have good SEC TV money, there aren't nearly as many fans of substantial means. It's one reason we've always struggled. Now that we've expanded our student population, hopefully there will be some more billionaires grown from our alumni base. Bob McNair is the only one I know of right now.

Edit: How does the University of Alabama football program have so much money? The state of Alabama is just as poor as South Carolina and no larger, population-wise. We're neck and neck in population.
You forgot about Darla?
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #22
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

What can you say besides he made our coaches look stupid.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #23
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

South Carolina being a poor state has something to do with our facilities...What?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #24
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

Sumlin is a classy guy and a great coach and excellent recruiter. A&M hiring him from just down the road in Houston was a brilliant move. He has the UT (Texas that is) faithful fit to be tied. I like Charley Strong, but he is simply not Sumlin.

This stuff about money and location and facilities - not buying it. College Station is not that attractive. Do they have nice facilities, sure, but do does SC. And it's not as if A&M doesn't have a ton of recruiting competition nearby - Texas, LSU, Baylor, AR, OK, OKST....and even the TCU's, UH's, TT's of the world nipping at them.

A&M may have a hard time keeping him, just like any other program not named Alabama, So Cal, Notre Dame and FSU....I could see him going to the NFL.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #25
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Sumlin="New" Ball Coach

By the way USC came calling last year. He sees what is going on in Aggieland and won't go anytime soon.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #26
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

A lot of coaches saw his success last year and will try to emulate it this year.

West Virginia used his strategy against Alabama today and almost beat them.

Coaches will be watching film of our game and that one to try to figure out how to contain and beat his style of offense.

There will be a couple of teams with 500-yard passing days on more than one occasion this year because of coaches emulating Sumlin.

The passing yardage in our game seemed obscene at first, but other teams in the SEC may take similar yardage hits that will cause us to be ranked higher than we might think at season's end, just like last year.

The analysts today said it first, not me.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #27
splinters
Recruit

Male

splinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervous

Spavital has only been the OC for one game. He was at WVU under Holgorsen (all part of that coaching tree ( briles, sumlin, holgorsen, etc).
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #28
SouthCGC
Blue Chip

Male

SouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazcock View Post
He didnt take kindly to the HBC's 9000 foot banner hanging there bragging. Not SOS's decision but whomever decided that banner was a good Idea should be fired..Anyone else believe in being jinxed??
I don't like that banner. Dumb
SouthCGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #29
gamecock ray
Recruit

Male

gamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spursgamecock ray has earned his spurs

I've been watching him for a while and I knew he is the real deal. We flat out got out coached and I think he was being genuine in his comments.
gamecock ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 AM   #30
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorspur View Post
What is all the hype about one coach? His team was prepared, ours was not. One game. Has he won a national title yet?
It's not about the game that transpired it's about what I noticed in his interviews and about what type of person I perceive him to be.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:40 AM   #31
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Sumlin is an excellent coach. As far as facilities, it hurts us that we're in one of the poorest states in the country. There is so much oil money and so many corporate headquarters in Texas and, while we do have good SEC TV money, there aren't nearly as many fans of substantial means. It's one reason we've always struggled. Now that we've expanded our student population, hopefully there will be some more billionaires grown from our alumni base. Bob McNair is the only one I know of right now.

Edit: How does the University of Alabama football program have so much money? The state of Alabama is just as poor as South Carolina and no larger, population-wise. We're neck and neck in population.
Because they pay their players so much money. It's their profit sharing ways.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:46 AM   #32
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbieM View Post
I was speaking about this earlier. He is definitely one of those coaches that knows how to coach. The NFL might even pick this guy up eventually.

I believe he was player (OLB) ranked very highly in his college days. I also remember hearing something about his old job before becoming a coach and it was totally on the other end of the world from coaching. I just can't recall the job.
somebody in the NFL offered him this year and he turned them down....in a few years, somebody is going to throw the bank at him and he'll be gone.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 AM   #33
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
Sumlin is a classy guy and a great coach and excellent recruiter. A&M hiring him from just down the road in Houston was a brilliant move. He has the UT (Texas that is) faithful fit to be tied. I like Charley Strong, but he is simply not Sumlin.

This stuff about money and location and facilities - not buying it. College Station is not that attractive. Do they have nice facilities, sure, but do does SC. And it's not as if A&M doesn't have a ton of recruiting competition nearby - Texas, LSU, Baylor, AR, OK, OKST....and even the TCU's, UH's, TT's of the world nipping at them.

A&M may have a hard time keeping him, just like any other program not named Alabama, So Cal, Notre Dame and FSU....I could see him going to the NFL.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ate-kyle-field

They are spending $450 million on the renovation of Kyle field....that's more than we spent on our entire sports facilities. Financially, they are out of our league.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #34
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
somebody in the NFL offered him this year and he turned them down....in a few years, somebody is going to throw the bank at him and he'll be gone.....
Well it will have to be a big bank, because he has a $5 million buyout clause
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #35
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
A lot of coaches saw his success last year and will try to emulate it this year.

West Virginia used his strategy against Alabama today and almost beat them.

Coaches will be watching film of our game and that one to try to figure out how to contain and beat his style of offense.

There will be a couple of teams with 500-yard passing days on more than one occasion this year because of coaches emulating Sumlin.

The passing yardage in our game seemed obscene at first, but other teams in the SEC may take similar yardage hits that will cause us to be ranked higher than we might think at season's end, just like last year.

The analysts today said it first, not me.
A lot coaches will still try this and some will be able to execute it at times, but your players have to be built for it as well. Sumlin combines the right system to the players that he has and he does it very well. The system the last 2 years was different than what he ran in Houston and what you will see this year. Not to mention what you are going to see this year and in the next few years is him doing it with stud players as well. This takes time to get it to the level he is getting to now. The difference here is now he is being able to cherry pick new recruits that fit his system perfectly too. You see it with teams like Oregon and even Baylor now. Most teams can't keep it up because when their team just starts to get in he zone with it, the coach leaves for something bigger and better. SMU is on the edge of being successful with it and if they can hold on to Jones for another few years you might see a run by them as well.
This is part of the reason I think we keep Sumlin for years to come and pay him whatever is needed to keep him. It isn't like we don't have the money now, he gets to be a perennial powerhouse in the premier league of College Football, and it only gets better and better.
For those that think he would leave for the NFL, well he might, but this system doesn't work as well there and he knows that. Not to mention he loses that SWAG and cool edge that he thrives on in the NFL. I don't think he wants to, not to mention that the top college coaches are now making as much or more than the Pros.
Just my opinion, but that's how I see it.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #36
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think the real problem as well as the reasons for the succes of these offenses like A&M and Auburn is that they are still considered gimmicks or anomalies by mainstream college football. Right now there are not enough of them in major college, and especially the SEC for coaches to warrant recruiting players and doing th extra work to stop them. When enough mainstream teams start to install it, coaches will figure it out and recruit the players to stop it and a new best thing will come along to take its place. Its kind of like having to play option teams once a year. It sux but you hope you can just get by them on the way to the next game.
I'm not convinced about how good A&M is just because of this, plus the fact that our coaches just plain did not have our guys ready to play. Sumlin, on the other hand did have his guys ready and it showed.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #37
Wisercock
Walk On

Male

Wisercock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
We better hope he goes to the Cowboys. If not the beatings will continue. A&M is building a juggernaut
I was hoping that is what Spurrier was doing at SC.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #38
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Well it will have to be a big bank, because he has a $5 million buyout clause

By the end of 2016, which is in 2 years.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #39
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

We won't have to worry about Sumlin too much longer.

The rumor here in Texas for quite some time is that Jerry Jones wants him coaching the Cowboys and this season is Garrett's last as coach.

There is no salary cap on what Jerry can offer Sumlin.

A&M is nice, but Sumlin won't be able to turn down the chance to turn the Cowboys around and play in a Billion Dollar Stadium.

If he got the Cowboys back to the playoffs he would be treated like royalty in North Texas.

He would be smart to stay where he is and enjoy the hell out of life instead of putting up with the most meddlesome owner in pro football.

On the other hand, I think he has pro ball in his blood and won't be able to resist being the head coach of the highest-profile team in football (deserved or not).
Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #40
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

You seriously think in 2 years if we have continued success and he is still improving that we won't throw MAD Money at him? We are finally out of Fran and Sherman's contracts and now with the new SEC Network $$$ coming in, we will have it to spare. Not to mention increased revenue from the 28% increase in fans at games.