CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
pitchcock
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Cockypantherfan
LeeSC
SCohioBoy
gadeneer1986
Waldrop doubtful for (1246)
Best position coach (1095)
We Have A New KO Guy (1025)
The New Idea That'll (919)
If we loose to Kensu (845)
I'm over the loss, b (541)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (346)
So What? (331)
Women's BB "Big (207)
Land For Sale (181)
Why not Nosovich @ TE?
Thoughts on the basketbal
If we loose to Kensucky..
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Best position coach or co
Ole Miss football program
We Have A New KO Guy
Dylan Thompson looks brok
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi

Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default (50 minute Replay) USC vs aTm

Watched the replay this morning. It's edited down to 50 minutes with live play only.

The offense wasn't that bad. Had some of the dropped passes in the first half been caught, it would have been close at halftime. Other than that, the defense is definitely the reason we lost this game.

What changes would you make this week with the personnel we have available?

Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Wisercock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Wisercock has hatched from the shell
Default Re: (50 minute Replay) USC vs aTm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Watched the replay this morning. It's edited down to 50 minutes with live play only.

The offense wasn't that bad. Had some of the dropped passes in the first half been caught, it would have been close at halftime. Other than that, the defense is definitely the reason we lost this game.

What changes would you make this week with the personnel we have available?

I can't bear to watch it yet.

The offense was forced to play hurry up which is exactly what aTm wanted. We either scored quickly or went 3 and out and either way our defense was right back on the field.

We have to find a way to generate a ball control offense. Spurrier may have to suck it up and go to a power running game.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Badazcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Badazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervous

Did the defense show up in that video??

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazcock View Post
Did the defense show up in that video??
Unfortunately not.

Can we expect much better playing two freshman cornerbacks? Nothing against them, but it's asking too much of them as freshman. how in the hell did we get to the point that we have to start two freshman corners in the opening game against a dynamic offense like the one the Aggies possess?

Last edited by Travelin; 08-31-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I can't bear to watch it yet.

The offense was forced to play hurry up which is exactly what aTm wanted. We either scored quickly or went 3 and out and either way our defense was right back on the field.

We have to find a way to generate a ball control offense. Spurrier may have to suck it up and go to a power running game.
The OL will have to start blocking for that to happen.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Badazcock
4-Star

Male

Badazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervousBadazcock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Unfortunately not.

Can we expect much better playing two freshman cornerbacks? Nothing against them, but it's asking too much of them as freshman. how in the hell did we get to the point that we have to start two freshman corners in the opening game against a dynamic offense like the Aggies possess?
Recruiting??

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'll provide some more in depth thoughts later but does anyone know if DJ Smith played? I know Wes Green didn't

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Wisercock
Walk On

Male

Wisercock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Unfortunately not.

Can we expect much better playing two freshman cornerbacks? Nothing against them, but it's asking too much of them as freshman. how in the hell did we get to the point that we have to start two freshman corners in the opening game against a dynamic offense like the Aggies possess?
Not to mention the lack of a SEC caliber DE.

That's a lot to be missing on defense.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'll provide some more in depth thoughts later but does anyone know if DJ Smith played? I know Wes Green didn't
IDK if DJ played or not. But why in the world didn't we play our 4 star recruit Green? Please don't tell me they want to redshirt the guy...
Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

Who thinks we scrap the 3-4?

UT and UGA sure did if I'm not mistaken. I don't think SOS was pleased.
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatlighting View Post

He needs to be mad that Bobo ran the exact offense he needs to and was very successful.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
GamecockSuperFan
"and so forth"

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

The biggest thing that I questioned in this game was the playcalling on 2nd down and 1 when were down 17 and driving down the field to cut it to 10.

on 2nd and 1 we try some pass for an incomplete. then on 3rd and 1 throw a fade against cover 2 to roland for an INT because the pass was a little too far inside. All we've heard about is this massive o-line. Can we not run it up the middle to get a first down on 2nd and 1?? That drive most likely would've led to a score and made it a 10 point game going into the 4th quarter. We didn't give ourselves a chance. We had all the momentum after finally stopping them on offense, only to piss it away with that INT.

It went from potentially being a 10 point game, back to a 24 point game in a matter of 1 possession for each team. They out coached us and had the better players on the field. They looked bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
The biggest thing that I questioned in this game was the playcalling on 2nd down and 1 when were down 17 and driving down the field to cut it to 10.

on 2nd and 1 we try some pass for an incomplete. then on 3rd and 1 throw a fade against cover 2 to roland for an INT because the pass was a little too far inside. All we've heard about is this massive o-line. Can we not run it up the middle to get a first down on 2nd and 1?? That drive most likely would've led to a score and made it a 10 point game going into the 4th quarter. We didn't give ourselves a chance.
This is why i went back and watched with real time only. We honestly were close to making it a game than it appeared as it all unfolded. Play calling was definitely an issue. I put the loss on the coaches shoulders much more than any player. And that includes the head honcho himself, the HBC.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i thought lammons and al harris did alright in the 2nd half. we looked bad when we attempted to bump and run. way too many whiffs. a&m had mcwilliams on his heels in the 2nd half, he was never in position to make a play.

i'd look for us to limit the zero blitzes vs ecu.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
GamecockSuperFan
"and so forth"

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatlighting View Post

Bama runs a 3-4 and just let up the most passing yards ever in a game under Saban against WVU.

I think defensive coaches like it because it probably presents more opportunities to disguise blitzes, but man.. You must really have to know how to coach it up like Nick Saban (or just sign the top class every single year) because every other team i've seen run it, the transition has looked ugly at best.

What I love about the 4-2-5 is that it's kind of a 3 deep defense. Your high safety patrols the middle of the field for the most part, the other safety can come up in the box to stop the run or bring pressure. You keep your pass rush with 4 linemen, you keep your speed on the field with 5 DB's. My question is... hasn't the 4-2-5 been working pretty damn well the last i dont know 5 years?? I always loved our defense and the versatility the 4-2-5 brought. My guess is that because of the amount of "talent" at the linebacker position, we want to put those guys in position to make big plays. Go back to what has proven to work. I think ever since Ward became DC he had every intent of switching to a 3-4 because he loves to blitz and bring pressure in different ways. lol at 99 plays / 780 yards. If that doesnt make you throw your gameplan away I don't know what will.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
southerntramp
Game MVP

Male

southerntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Not to mention the lack of a SEC caliber DE.

That's a lot to be missing on defense.
And it made perfect sense to go with that 3-4 crap

Can't believe that scheme was even thought of and worse implemented
southerntramp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i thought lammons and al harris did alright in the 2nd half. we looked bad when we attempted to bump and run. way too many whiffs. a&m had mcwilliams on his heels in the 2nd half, he was never in position to make a play.

McWilliams was abused all game long. Surprising with someone who has a decent amount of game experience.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post

Don't get me wrong, they weren't that bad, it just so happens they weren't that good, either and they got exposed quickly and often. As expected. I could understand having to start one, but not having one experienced CB to help is not a good position for our defense to start the season. And last year it was the linebackers. I just don't get it. Who the hell is our recruiting coordinator anyway?

I see Jr. is still the recruiting coordinator/ Co-OC and WR coach. I think he's got to much on his plate. Time to let someone else manage our recruiting.

Last edited by Travelin; 08-31-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #19
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
Bama runs a 3-4 and just let up the most passing yards ever in a game under Saban against WVU.

I think defensive coaches like it because it probably presents more opportunities to disguise blitzes, but man.. You must really have to know how to coach it up like Nick Saban (or just sign the top class every single year) because every other team i've seen run it, the transition has looked ugly at best.

What I love about the 4-2-5 is that it's kind of a 3 deep defense. Your high safety patrols the middle of the field for the most part, the other safety can come up in the box to stop the run or bring pressure. You keep your pass rush with 4 linemen, you keep your speed on the field with 5 DB's. My question is... hasn't the 4-2-5 been working pretty damn well the last i dont know 5 years?? I always loved our defense and the versatility the 4-2-5 brought. My guess is that because of the amount of "talent" at the linebacker position, we want to put those guys in position to make big plays. Go back to what has proven to work. I think ever since Ward became DC he had every intent of switching to a 3-4 because he loves to blitz and bring pressure in different ways. lol at 99 plays / 780 yards. If that doesnt make you throw your gameplan away I don't know what will.
False, they didn't even come close to the 465 that JFF put on them in the air last year.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
GamecockSuperFan
"and so forth"

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
False, they didn't even come close to the 465 that JFF put on them in the air last year.
Correction. They allowed the SECOND most passing yards in Saban's tenure as head coach. Trickett threw for 365 yards while manziel threw for 464.