CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
MountainCock
CoverTwo
CockyLifer
2000grad
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Morris to SMU (4700)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1689)
Clemson fans (1202)
Carolina on a Walmar (1046)
Game simulation (779)
End of the aTm / LSU (438)
Have we been favored (353)
Origin Sale Too (236)
Women's Soccer Elite (182)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Name a Gamecock
Clemson fans
Carolina on a Walmart com
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
Constant Updates on Watso
End of the aTm / LSU game
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Bailey's life hack for Ol
Morris to SMU
THE Vent and Coaching Cha

Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: (50 minute Replay) USC vs aTm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatlighting View Post
Who thinks we scrap the 3-4?

UT and UGA sure did if I'm not mistaken. I don't think SOS was pleased.
I hope we never use it again.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
Correction. They allowed the SECOND most passing yards in Saban's tenure as head coach. Trickett threw for 365 yards while manziel threw for 464.
JFF also has the 3rd at at 345 I believe, which at the time was the most too. But couple that with the ground numbers and both are the most total offense by one player and for sure the most by a team in Bama history, not just when Saban was coach.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #23
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

no im saying everyone was bad in the first half including them. harris made a great deflection near the goaline in the 2nd half and i dont think they completed anything on him down the field. i thought lammons coverage was a lot better after he gave up a td in the first half. mcwilliams was the one that was out of sorts.

the two big plays in the 2nd half was the 3rd and 13 on their opening drive where skai got banged up after his sack and left. that brought walton back out there they ran a draw play, picked it up and ended up scoring. the 3rd and 9 early in the 4th quarter when we're down 17 and theyre backed up. we called a zone blitz bringing golightly and someone else while dropping surratt into a short zone in the middle of the field. hill hits a wr on a 5 yard crossing route, holloman is in position to stop him well short of the first and misses the tackle. then skai moore gets an angle and makes him stop 3 yards short of the first down but both surratt and johnson overpursue and he simply lets them go by (would have liked to see johnson at least dive) then cuts back for the first down. on that play somebody in the secondary also needs to attack him short of the first down.

as bad as we were there were times where we should have had them stopped, were in position to have them stopped. the first half those examples are limited. their first td drive they did whatever they wanted and we never got them into a 3rd and long. their 2nd drive with it 7-0 we have them in 3rd and 7, diggs on a blitz gets a hand on him but he gets away and scrambles toward the marker with allen williams between him and the marker. baw misses, he gets the first down and they get a field goal. their next drive we get them into a 3rd and 16 and they call a draw that ends up 2 yards short and they punt. thats the extent of any kind of unfavorable situations we put them into during the 1st half. two 3rd downs and 7+ in the 1st half, six 3rd downs and 7+ in the 2nd half.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

watching the other SEC teams made this game even worse. LSU, UA, UGA . and teams like FSU, UW, OU, really every game (and teams that had Inferior personnel or ran the 3/4) had DBs in tight coverage and LB punishing their opponents the whole game. I have never seen a more complete performance of incompetence than Carolina's defense vs A&M.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #25
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
no im saying everyone was bad in the first half including them. harris made a great deflection near the goaline in the 2nd half and i dont think they completed anything on him down the field. i thought lammons coverage was a lot better after he gave up a td in the first half. mcwilliams was the one that was out of sorts.

the two big plays in the 2nd half was the 3rd and 13 on their opening drive where skai got banged up after his sack and left. that brought walton back out there they ran a draw play, picked it up and ended up scoring. the 3rd and 9 early in the 4th quarter when we're down 17 and theyre backed up. we called a zone blitz bringing golightly and someone else while dropping surratt into a short zone in the middle of the field. hill hits a wr on a 5 yard crossing route, holloman is in position to stop him well short of the first and misses the tackle. then skai moore gets an angle and makes him stop 3 yards short of the first down but both surratt and johnson overpursue and he simply lets them go by (would have liked to see johnson at least dive) then cuts back for the first down. on that play somebody in the secondary also needs to attack him short of the first down.

as bad as we were there were times where we should have had them stopped, were in position to have them stopped. the first half those examples are limited. their first td drive they did whatever they wanted and we never got them into a 3rd and long. their 2nd drive with it 7-0 we have them in 3rd and 7, diggs on a blitz gets a hand on him but he gets away and scrambles toward the marker with allen williams between him and the marker. baw misses, he gets the first down and they get a field goal. their next drive we get them into a 3rd and 16 and they call a draw that ends up 2 yards short and they punt. thats the extent of any kind of unfavorable situations we put them into during the 1st half. two 3rd downs and 7+ in the 1st half, six 3rd downs and 7+ in the 2nd half.
Isn't that the most important stat for the HBC? He's not a happy chappy this week.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #26
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

and why, after last year, are some D players mentioned above still out there? No way did they show any abilty to play LB in the SEC and here they grabbing and whiffing and mostly getting blocked with ease. It is insane.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervous

Poor defensive fundamentals- angles and tackling. Too much all out blitzing. All correctable. I actually feel better after watching that. The offense will be fine as long as we keep running the ball.
Cocks N Stuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #28
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks N Stuff View Post
Poor defensive fundamentals- angles and tackling. Too much all out blitzing. All correctable. I actually feel better after watching that. The offense will be fine as long as we keep running the ball.
So did I. We can get better. I don't think we will shut out anyone, but we should be able to stop some teams for the most part. Here's to hoping we get by ECU and have the defense clicking by the time we play UGA. I'm a lot more optimistic now than I was this time yesterday.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #29
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Wha...? Gurley will destroy our LBs. He will probably go over 800 yds. Man, you guys are optimistic!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #30
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
Wha...? Gurley will destroy our LBs. He will probably go over 800 yds. Man, you guys are optimistic!

800 yards... Lol overreact much?
Latti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #31
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
I did say hope. I hope we are much better by the uga game. Right now I'm extremely concerned.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his comb

We couldn't get a push up front to save our lives. That is why Davis is so critical to have carrying the rock. He makes a 3 yard carry into a 5 yard carry. When you have that, you can transition into some play action. If you watch the film, when we actually did try and run, A&M flew everyone to the ball. If we could have developed some sort of push and running game, we'd have torched them more frequently. Brandon is serviceable, Shon is about worthless, and we don't know much about Williams. While Davis isn't Gurley, he is the same style of back that can make or break a game if he's in there.

Defensively we replaced 3 starters, including 2 AA, on the Defensive line with 3 guys who are severely less talented and inexperienced. We also replace experienced corners who were decent tacklers in space with guys who've never played a down of college football and up against an offensive juggernaut.

Our offense WILL NOT be decent without a push up front. We have to have a run game to take some of the load off of Dylan. He isn't going to win us games like Connor could. Not saying he is a bad QB, but again, he isn't 14. We have to set up play action, we have to hit short routes. Our WR can't drop passes. Busta dropped a big one, Nicky dropped a big one, and I believe Cooper did as well. Those are mistakes that you can't have on O when the D is this incompetent.

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #33
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

After watching that, I blame two people: Steve Spurrier and Lorenzo Ward.

It was the worst gameplan defensively I've seen since the Darren McFadden bloodshed a few years ago.

The defensive personnel is not nearly as talented as the offensive personnel for the Aggies.

Obviously, not having our guys ready to tackle and play physical was the primary reason for the yards gained. They were soft and that's a reflection on how they were coached thru spring and fall practice. I want to complain about how the dbs were 8-13 yards from the line of scrimmage for most of the game and how we sat in soft zones with no pass rush, but even with all that, I counted just in the first quarter and half of the second 3 times where a missed tackle on third down, if made, would have caused a punt. Even playing a crappy scheme, they had chances to get off the field.

I'm not going to get down on a single player b/c they were not coached well enough to make the plays and they certainly were not put in the right positions by the coaches to affect the outcome.

Unfortunately, by the time Ward and Co. get their heads out of their asses, it'll be too late as we will probably be 0-2 in the conference.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #34
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I watched it backwards and feel much better about our season now.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #35
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

OP thanks for posting this video. I went and re-watched the game for the first time after being in the stadium Thurs night, here are my thoughts while watching:

-Barring multiple injuries, Golightly should not be playing meaningful snaps on defense. He is a complete liability in every way

-LBs in pass coverage were awful, this was compounded by the safeties. Enormous hole in the middle of the field all night

-Very poor start from Dylan, no accuracy. Panicked in the pocket on 3rd down of opening drive, made pass that had zero chance of picking up the 1st

-D-lineman and LBs cannot fight off blocks. DEs getting easily blocked by 1 man. BOB position also providing nothing, getting easily blocked

-Thompson throws a nice deep ball, however he resorts to the deep pass way too much

-McWilliams was poor in coverage all night, didn't appear to know what he was doing and lacked awareness

-Chaz Elder looks like he is trying to avoid contact

-Holloman often looks clueless

-English was abysmal. Obviously he was suffocated by an OL all night but even when he had the chance to make a play he whiffed on tackles

-Bryant also had a few cringeworthy missed tackles

-Cody Waldrop was a huge liability on the line all night. Looked slow and had a poor reaction-time. Thompson's INT was hurried and thrown off his back foot because Waldrop's man easily beat him and was in Thompson's face. Roland had his man beaten badly, I believe Shaq would have beaten the safety if DT had more time to get a better throw

-Run blocking was obviously poor, pass protection wasn't as bad but wasn't good

-Freshman corners are obviously physically mismatched and get beat often

-Please gets Carson off KO return

-A&M's WR blocking was phenomenal and led to loads of YAC. We have no WRs who block like that. I'm not a fan at all of our WR recruiting philosophy, but I'll leave that for a different thread

Overall, I saw pretty much the same thing that everyone else saw

-- George Burns

Last edited by ipull4usc; 08-31-2014 at 04:42 PM.
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #36
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
JFF also has the 3rd at at 345 I believe, which at the time was the most too. But couple that with the ground numbers and both are the most total offense by one player and for sure the most by a team in Bama history, not just when Saban was coach.
Nah Trevor Knight from Oklahoma had 348 in the bowl game last year and before that it was Ryan Mallet in 2010 with 357 yards but close. We get it though. A&M has/had/does have a stellar offense.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #37
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks N Stuff View Post
This just defined Lorenzo's defensive weaknesses. What you just described is something we've seen every year he's been here when our D wasn't up to par. We are notoriously bad at angles, and wrapping up on tackles. This has not improved in 3 or more years. I love the mentality and that he wants to blitz, but you can just as easily get burned by the blitz too. Especially against an offense that knows what it's doing. Now I don't miss us sitting back in coverage and getting torched like we did with Ellis Johnson against good passing teams, but we weren't getting to the QB anyhow. There was no push. I dont know. I honestly think the coaches were throwing everything out there and nothing would stick.

I was shocked to see Kenny Hill shake a tackle off from Darius English (who at 241 still plays like 220) and run for that 1st down. I thought he was a linebacker at first and then looked and said "Oh.. thats who is suppose to be replacing clowney" oh I hope they put together something worth watching on defense soon.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #38
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I counted 39 missed tackles in 13 drives. A few were 2 on the same run (usually after catch). Five would have stopped drives. I actually saw one hard hit. I was impressed even more this time by Pharoh and Byrd. Nick played well with only the two misses. Wilds showed some game. Carson can contribute, but not so much on kick returns. Shaq got manhandled and interfered with a few times, but he will do better at fighting through it, I think. Jerrell Adams and Busta looked good, but I think Jerrell is a better target up high. We ran the sweeps better than the inside stuff, probably because they schemed to stop our inside game. I think we were a little better in the 4-3. We probably need to tackle live in practice even though some might get banged-up. Knee braces and those anti-concussion helmet covers, please.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #39
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

You could get all of their touchdowns narrowed down into a 50 minute video that deserves points.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #40
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
After watching that, I blame two people: Steve Spurrier and Lorenzo Ward.

It was the worst gameplan defensively I've seen since the Darren McFadden bloodshed a few years ago.

The defensive personnel is not nearly as talented as the offensive personnel for the Aggies.

Obviously, not having our guys ready to tackle and play physical was the primary reason for the yards gained. They were soft and that's a reflection on how they were coached thru spring and fall practice. I want to complain about how the dbs were 8-13 yards from the line of scrimmage for most of the game and how we sat in soft zones with no pass rush, but even with all that, I counted just in the first quarter and half of the second 3 times where a missed tackle on third down, if made, would have caused a punt. Even playing a crappy scheme, they had chances to get off the field.

I'm not going to get down on a single player b/c they were not coached well enough to make the plays and they certainly were not put in the right positions by the coaches to affect the outcome.

Unfortunately, by the time Ward and Co. get their heads out of their asses, it'll be too late as we will probably be 0-2 in the conference.
Spot on.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote