CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TAFC 5 1981
cockybreeyan
Master Bedroom
gocockswyn
catdaddy66
etowngangsta
roosterdude21
Cockhornleghorn
dirtycock
ZenUSC
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4519)
Bowl projections (1684)
Why has there been 4 (910)
Odell Becham Catch (891)
No excuse for the D (760)
A little late to the (760)
Good Omen for Saturd (573)
Texas A&M Defens (471)
Spurrier Dabo Meme (405)
SC Women #1 in AP Po (343)
Good Omen for Saturday?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Rebutting Dabo's Rant
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Bowl projections
No excuse for the D this
Why has there been 40 yea
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
2015 Commitment - Christi
USC/clemson spread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #41
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
You seriously think in 2 years if we have continued success and he is still improving that we won't throw MAD Money at him? We are finally out of Fran and Sherman's contracts and now with the new SEC Network $$$ coming in, we will have it to spare. Not to mention increased revenue from the 28% increase in fans at games.
I hope he stays where he is.

Good competition.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #42
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

1. Kevin Sumlin has surpassed Les Miles and Nick Saban as the best recruiter in the land. He has absolutely trampled the University of Texas in recruiting and can take his pick of the litter without even going out of state -- then he gets national recruits to want to play for him.

2. He runs a gimmick offense and no one spends the adequate time required to prepare for it because they typically don't play anyone else that runs it the rest of the year. With Kevin Hill back there, it seems to have fewer gimmicks to it than when Manziel ran it, so teams should be able to prepare for it a little better than the past few years, but not by much.

3. He has A&M confident. As a Texan, I must tell you that for over fifty years A&M would have good teams but they had a HORRIBLE habit of cratering under pressure. You could literally count on them to fumble, be intercepted, have a penalty, etc. right when they had a chance to seal a win. It was tragic watching them shoot themselves in the foot year after year, especially against the University of Texas. Sumlin has made all of that a distant memory. They have justifiable confidence. And then look at his road win record. That's what tells you that this coach is something special.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #43
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly
Thumbs up Re: Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
1. Kevin Sumlin has surpassed Les Miles and Nick Saban as the best recruiter in the land. He has absolutely trampled the University of Texas in recruiting and can take his pick of the litter without even going out of state -- then he gets national recruits to want to play for him.

2. He runs a gimmick offense and no one spends the adequate time required to prepare for it because they typically don't play anyone else that runs it the rest of the year. With Kevin Hill back there, it seems to have fewer gimmicks to it than when Manziel ran it, so teams should be able to prepare for it a little better than the past few years, but not by much.

3. He has A&M confident. As a Texan, I must tell you that for over fifty years A&M would have good teams but they had a HORRIBLE habit of cratering under pressure. You could literally count on them to fumble, be intercepted, have a penalty, etc. right when they had a chance to seal a win. It was tragic watching them shoot themselves in the foot year after year, especially against the University of Texas. Sumlin has made all of that a distant memory. They have justifiable confidence. And then look at his road win record. That's what tells you that this coach is something special.

Someone's bucking for some REP POINTS!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #44
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
You seriously think in 2 years if we have continued success and he is still improving that we won't throw MAD Money at him? We are finally out of Fran and Sherman's contracts and now with the new SEC Network $$$ coming in, we will have it to spare. Not to mention increased revenue from the 28% increase in fans at games.

Understood.

However, revenues per school in the SEC are around 21 MM per school, plus whatever is local. Let's double that and say 42MM. Heck, triple it if it makes you feel better.

NFL revenues for the Cowboys 560MM.

Not realistic to think you can outbid a NFL team. That being said, it's hard to figure what makes a guy tick. Does he have the dream of trying in the NFL or is he satisfied with winning in the nation's best conference? Will he look at Saban and SOS and think...man they went there and that didn't go well, or will he look at Harbargh and Carroll and think.."Hey, I can do that." I doubt even he knows at this point.

I do know going to the Cowboys would be a bad move.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #45
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 200
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Understood.

However, revenues per school in the SEC are around 21 MM per school, plus whatever is local. Let's double that and say 42MM. Heck, triple it if it makes you feel better.

Not realistic to think you can outbid a NFL team. That being said, it's hard to figure what makes a guy tick. Does he have the dream of trying in the NFL or is he satisfied with winning in the nation's best conference? Will he look at Saban and SOS and think...man they went there and that didn't go well, or will he look at Harbargh and Carroll and think.."Hey, I can do that." I doubt even he knows at this point.

Watch some of Sumlin's interviews... Does he really strike you as someone that would put up with Jerry Jones' bullshit? I don't think he would. To your point, money can make a man put up with a lot, but I think it would have to be a different owner. Jones is a complete douche.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #46
kingofnerf
Blue Chip

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Having to deal with unrealistic expectations after so many years of success might be the only reason like Sumlin would leave A&M down the road.

No one thought HBC would ever leave UF, but he did when he got tired of the BS of higher expectations.
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #47
Wavodano
Walk On

Male

Wavodano has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Understood.

I actually think Sumlin wants to accomplish something special here first from some of the comments he's alluded to. I do however, think the lure of the NFL will eventually lead him in that direction with in the next 3 to 4 yrs. On the other hand, if it did come down to a bidding war it would not be the University or Athletic Dept that would try to outbid potential NFL suitors. It would be the Top #20 Donors of the 12th Man Foundation. These guys have pretty deep pockets from amassing fortunes in various industries especially related to oil and gas. I think these guys could could go toe to toe with any NFL owners to try and keep Sumlin here if it were strictly related to money. Basically, they are the ones who pitched in to give Sumlin his pay raise as well as helping to raise the majority of the $450 million stadium renovation which was actually achieved in less than a year. Not to mention the nearly $1 Billion in facilities upgrades that have recently been completed, under construction, or in the process of being built.
Wavodano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #48
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Sumlin is an excellent coach. As far as facilities, it hurts us that we're in one of the poorest states in the country. There is so much oil money and so many corporate headquarters in Texas and, while we do have good SEC TV money, there aren't nearly as many fans of substantial means. It's one reason we've always struggled. Now that we've expanded our student population, hopefully there will be some more billionaires grown from our alumni base. Bob McNair is the only one I know of right now.

Edit: How does the University of Alabama football program have so much money? The state of Alabama is just as poor as South Carolina and no larger, population-wise. We're neck and neck in population.

I looked at the depth chart last night of the "Agriculture and Wannabe Military School" and it was 90 plus percent from the State of Texas. He didn't have to go far to recruit although it's a long way from Houston to West Texas. Anyone wants to bash me about my "Wannabe Military", have at it...They are no different than the Citadel and are a "military like" school cause they want to "play soldier games as students and haze each other"...I served my time on active duty and two years of college ROTC before...I don't consider my two years of ROTC being any different except we only played games once a week.
" And I had class and worked with an Aggie for almost all of those 4 years.
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #49
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

The Citadel being compared to A&M, I don't think so.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote