CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
GregoryHouse
zcoop
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
roosterdude21
Badazcock
Team Garcia
Blackland
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (23719)
ESPN Game Day Commen (1905)
Simple "yes&quo (1404)
Phil Steele just pre (1105)
Garcia: Change the R (669)
TeMarcus Blanton (658)
Anybody just have th (371)
Miss St vs. Kentucky (315)
Where in Seattle (225)
Instrumental Music ( (213)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
We actually didnt lose
Extremely Proud
Eat Crow
Defense question
Nick Marshall
what I think ab ward
Good fight but
Anybody just have that &q
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha

Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #61
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Re: whats up with Mike?

If we aren't tackling in practice then where did his bruised rib come from?
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #62
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummervilleGuy View Post
Never commented here before but I've said all along that Mike Davis is soft.
I suggest you get on the horn to HBC first thing in the morning, and tell him you want to strap on some gear and engage in tackling drills.

You show 'em who's soft.....
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #63
Kuhn
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

per ESPN Spurrier says Davis is "kinda doubtful" for the ECU game. Bruised ribs.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #64
CharlotteGameCock
Recruit

Male

CharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudlyCharlotteGameCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Bingo

And was anything said about his ribs before the game?
Is that sarcasm?

If not, he missed multiple practices before the A&M game. It was reportedly just a precaution but something wasn't right - probably just him being soft because he's so soft. He only carried our offense in multiple games last year. I love how many of you praise him when he's at his best but he second he isn't, you're there to bash the ever living crap out of him. Then again, you can replace Mike Davis with Shaw, Thompson, Clowney, etc.

It's amazing that having a childlike tantrum after a loss hasn't gotten old. Many of you should go back and read your comments after last year's UGA, Tenn, Vandy and KY games. Heck, the best are from pre-q4 of the Mizzou game. Real meltdowns there.

Don't be satisfied with what happened Thursday by any means - I'm certainly not- but so many of you took some great years for granted that when we really stumble, your heads might explode. Calling out players and coaches one game into the season is so insanely disrespectful and uncalled for.

I will stop - many of you will call me out and then go on to predict an upset next weekend with the tag 'I hope I'm wrong' so that you cover your arse if we win but can say 'i told you so' to the few remaining optimists.

Carry on...
CharlotteGameCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #65
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Give the ball to Wilds and Williams and hope they do well enough to give us a chance to beat ECU.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #66
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I've busted my ribs on occasion. There is no way I could go 100% then and I do not expect Mike to be able to now. Not much helps but time. I had rather have him healthy later than to have him keep injuring them.
I hurt mine back in March. Kept me out of the gym for a month. Hurt to cough, hurt to sneeze, hurt to breathe in too deeply. Had to change the way I SLEPT.

There's nothing you can do but wait when your ribs are injured.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #67
CockyBidget
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 445
CockyBidget has hatched from the shell

I almost hope we never have a player named a Heisman Hopeful before the season starts.
We saw almost this same thing last year with Clowney when he didn't play against KY, and Spurrier threw him under the bus. Here we go again with Mike Davis.

According the the TV announcers in Thursday's game, Davis came onto the field with the players for the start of the 2nd half, and immediately returned to the locker room. What's up with that? If he knew he wasn't going to play, why not stay in the locker room? Why not tell the coaches during halftime he wasn't up to playing the 2nd half?

Why was Spurrier surprised - again - to learn at the last minute that a key player wasn't able to play?

If I hadn't seen some of Davis's tweets earlier this year, I would likely go easier on him. But I did, and I can't. He is all about Mike Davis. (Please don't ask for specifics 'cause my brain is old, tired and full of other nonsense...I do manage to retain the gist of things).

I don't believe any player should ever risk aggravating an injury by playing.
I do believe that champions play through pain.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #68
rabid cock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 300
rabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spursrabid cock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyBidget View Post
I almost hope we never have a player named a Heisman Hopeful before the season starts.
We saw almost this same thing last year with Clowney when he didn't play against KY, and Spurrier threw him under the bus. Here we go again with Mike Davis.

According the the TV announcers in Thursday's game, Davis came onto the field with the players for the start of the 2nd half, and immediately returned to the locker room. What's up with that? If he knew he wasn't going to play, why not stay in the locker room? Why not tell the coaches during halftime he wasn't up to playing the 2nd half?

Why was Spurrier surprised - again - to learn at the last minute that a key player wasn't able to play?

If I hadn't seen some of Davis's tweets earlier this year, I would likely go easier on him. But I did, and I can't. He is all about Mike Davis. (Please don't ask for specifics 'cause my brain is old, tired and full of other nonsense...I do manage to retain the gist of things).

I don't believe any player should ever risk aggravating an injury by playing.
I do believe that champions play through pain.
Can you say Connor Shaw.

Now there was a warrior!
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #69
CockyBidget
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 445
CockyBidget has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
Can you say Connor Shaw.

Now there was a warrior!
Yeah, I meant to edit to say just that!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #70
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
I'm going to say it. I don't want him as our starting back.

I don't want us depending on a guy that pulls himself out of games when the game is on the line. He's done that repeatedly now for two seasons and he can't even handle 20+ carries a game without falling apart.

He's a good back but I think his NFL prospects are dismal. Scouts aren't stupid. If he can't handle the pounding or can't play with some pain, they won't be the least bit interested.

He needs to forget the Heisman, the NFL, etc. and focus on playing for two more years at USC and making it back into the starting lineup.

Wilds can handle the load and Williams should step up as our #2.

I appreciate what Carson does but he just doesn't have the moves.
You werent saying this last season when he ran for 1000 yards. Spurrier pulled him from the game because South Carolina was going to be throwing the entire second half.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #71
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 1m
Spurrier said David Wiliams deserves to get some carries at running back and that they will get him the ball this weekend.
That sounds great, hope it happens.

I've read for years now that we have all this depth at RB. (Did you just hear that mouse fart?) Where is the depth? Whenever our #1 RB goes down, the coaches either forget we have other backs or abandon the running game altogether. Hell, SOS admitted he forgot about Miles after Latti went down the first time.

To add to the problem, our OL was supposed to be the strong part of the team this year, but it looked like the OL of old. Walter Payton would have had a hard time gaining yards last week and aTm is not known for defense by any stretch if the imagination.

Wilds best runs last week were gained on his own. He and Mike had to work for every damn yard they could muster. Get Wilds and Williams back there. Give them some lanes and some blocking and whichever one has the best first quarter, give him the rock for the majority of the game. Only way we can compete this year is to control the line of scrimmage, win the time of possession battle and run the ball the majority of the time. Oh, and another dual threat qb would go along way as we have seen over the course of the last few years.

Last edited by Travelin; 09-02-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #72
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

I think sooner or later, probably sooner, Coach Spurrier will get tired of taking questions about Mike's health and will tell the press to go ask him themselves.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #73
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
That sounds great, hope it happens.

I've read for years now that we have all this depth at RB. (Did you just hear that mouse fart?) Where is the depth? Whenever our #1 RB goes down, the coaches either forget we have other backs or abandon the running game altogether. Hell, SOS admitted he forgot about Miles after Latti went down the first time.

To add to the problem, our OL was supposed to be the strong part of the team this year, but it looked like the OL of old. Walter Payton would have had a hard time gaining yards last week and aTm is not known for defense by any stretch if the imagination.

Wilds best runs last week were gained on his own. He and Mike had to work for every damn yard they could muster. Get Wilds and Williams back there. Give them some lanes and some blocking and whichever one has the best first quarter, give him the rock for the majority of the game. Only way we can compete this year is to control the line of scrimmage, win the time of possession battle and run the ball the majority of the time. Oh, and another dual threat qb would go along way as we have seen over the course of the last few years.
Holy s*** Spurrier is gonna play DWill!!!!!!!!! We are gonna win!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #74
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
Can you say Connor Shaw.

Now there was a warrior!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #75
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Jay Philips ‏@JayPhilips1075 now
Spurrier says Mike Davis is "available" for ECU game; that's a change from "doubtful" two days ago. #Gamecocks

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState 2m
Spurrier on Davis: I think he's going to be available now. Got some treatment on his ribs. Good chance he'll play.

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 54s
Spurrier said there is a "good chance" Mike Davis will be available. Had some treatment on his ribs and is doing better.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #76
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState 18s
Spurrier on David Williams: "We've told David he's going to carry the ball some, so he will."

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc now
Spurrier said again that he want to get David Williams some work at running back.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #77
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Bruised ribs are no joke. If that's why he pulled himself, I can't say I blame him. On the other hand, I have seen some people fight through broken ribs. Everybody has their own pain tolerance. I do think he should get off twitter and all that. He comes across as a "me me me" individual, I don't know him personally so I am just going off his actions. I hope that they just let him heal and don't even dress him Saturday. Maybe he will get his head back in the game.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #78
J R Ewing
Walk On

Male

J R Ewing has hatched from the shell

The Mike Davis bashing is some of the same stuff the fan experts leveled at Clowney last season. They even went so far as to analyze Clowneys draft prospects dropping significantly. Guess what experts, he ended up the number one pick in the draft and a multi millionaire. Mike Davis is a good ball carrier who is banged up. The criticism is not warranted.
J R Ewing is online now   Reply With Quote