CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
Gamecocks1137
b381l
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Pw00132
More David Williams (4612)
Polls (3101)
Gameday in Columbia (2660)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2353)
Tonight's ugly win w (1984)
D line pressure (1427)
Clem5on fans are bes (1248)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1200)
Why Weren't We Bette (1156)
SEC East Race as of (1060)
Dylan Thompson's passing
Kendrick salley
Rank the SEC starting QBs
2014-15 Premier League se
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Gameday in Columbia
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Why Weren't We Better Pre
Is it possible for our Sp
2016 - Jamie Skalski


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
airborne09
Blue Chip
 
airborne09's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: summerville
Posts: 577
CockyCash: 500
airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: ECU

Our offensive and defensive lines need to play angry. They need to play very angry. Not sure why we have a line th hat plays the soft anyway.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #22
ecugrad
Walk On
 
ecugrad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 28
CockyCash: 500
ecugrad has hatched from the shell
Default Re: ECU

Hopefully we can get back our nt who was out yesterday with an injury. Hes 6 '1"330+ lbs. Oh by the way we had over 200 yards rushing and almost 600 yards of offense. I expect hardy to get over 100 yards and a few tds. Im ready for Saturday. I just want a good injury free game on both sides.
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
peterlemon
Game MVP
 
peterlemon's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,838
CockyCash: 500
peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
Hopefully we can get back our nt who was out yesterday with an injury. Hes 6 '1"330+ lbs. Oh by the way we had over 200 yards rushing and almost 600 yards of offense. I expect hardy to get over 100 yards and a few tds. Im ready for Saturday. I just want a good injury free game on both sides.
I am not saying this isn't going to be a close game, but that team ECU played last night looked a lot like a high school team. I don't take a whole lot from that game. Carolina has a bunch of improving to do before this game, but beating NCCU to death isn't scary. South Carolina State beat them by 41 points last year.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscGRAD04's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Neeses
Posts: 2,710
CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
I am not saying this isn't going to be a close game, but that team ECU played last night looked a lot like a high school team. I don't take a whole lot from that game. Carolina has a bunch of improving to do before this game, but beating NCCU to death isn't scary. South Carolina State beat them by 41 points last year.
My thoughts exactly.

I'm not confident in our Defense. But UNC Central is a bottom tier team in the MEAC. Just think they are a crappy version of SC State.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #25
HHI Pir8
Walk On
 
HHI Pir8's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hilton Head Island
Posts: 1
CockyCash: 500
HHI Pir8 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: ECU

I never read too much into playing a FCS team other than how does the team react to playing inferior talent. NCCU was bottom of the barrel talent but luckily for us we had to move the WVU game to accommodate their Alabama game because unlike our neighbors UNCheat and NCST we rarely play FCS schools. It would have been a brutal start to the season if we had WVU, South Carolina, VT and UNCheat to start the season.

I will say while ECU is not Texas A&M IMO Shane Carden is a better QB right now than Kenny Hill. As a SR QB who was third in the nation last year in completion percentage and the only QB to throw for 4000 yards he is legit and has what I would consider the most talented group of ECU receivers in our history.

I would have loved to have played South Carolina first instead of Texas A&M getting you guys. Lincoln Riley is a member of the Mike Leach family and the Air Raid but what ECU runs is definitely not a pure Air Raid but a hybrid that is ever changing depending on what Riley has at his disposal any given year. He actually loves to run the ball when the Defense is giving that and our RB's are of course just another set of receivers with short passes being another form of the run for ECU.

Our OOC schedule is tough even with the body bag game we just played and I was hoping to come out of it 2-2. I think we should definitely beat UNCheat at home and are due to finally win what have been close games lately with VT. I never expected us to beat South Carolina and hate that the only thing standing between Carolina and 0-2 going into the UGA game is ECU. This is no longer a trap game on the schedule where Carolina could over look ECU so if we win it will take a perfect effort by our team and a few breaks from the Football Gods
HHI Pir8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #26
peterlemon
Game MVP
 
peterlemon's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,838
CockyCash: 500
peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHI Pir8 View Post
I never read too much into playing a FCS team other than how does the team react to playing inferior talent. NCCU was bottom of the barrel talent but luckily for us we had to move the WVU game to accommodate their Alabama game because unlike our neighbors UNCheat and NCST we rarely play FCS schools. It would have been a brutal start to the season if we had WVU, South Carolina, VT and UNCheat to start the season.

I will say while ECU is not Texas A&M IMO Shane Carden is a better QB right now than Kenny Hill. As a SR QB who was third in the nation last year in completion percentage and the only QB to throw for 4000 yards he is legit and has what I would consider the most talented group of ECU receivers in our history.

I would have loved to have played South Carolina first instead of Texas A&M getting you guys. Lincoln Riley is a member of the Mike Leach family and the Air Raid but what ECU runs is definitely not a pure Air Raid but a hybrid that is ever changing depending on what Riley has at his disposal any given year. He actually loves to run the ball when the Defense is giving that and our RB's are of course just another set of receivers with short passes being another form of the run for ECU.

Our OOC schedule is tough even with the body bag game we just played and I was hoping to come out of it 2-2. I think we should definitely beat UNCheat at home and are due to finally win what have been close games lately with VT. I never expected us to beat South Carolina and hate that the only thing standing between Carolina and 0-2 going into the UGA game is ECU. This is no longer a trap game on the schedule where Carolina could over look ECU so if we win it will take a perfect effort by our team and a few breaks from the Football Gods
Didn't ECU lose like 13 starters coming into this season? I don't think you are really going to know what ECU has at all until this next weekend.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
ccured
What a Rush!!!
 
ccured's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: columbia sc
Posts: 8,339
CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
I am not saying this isn't going to be a close game, but that team ECU played last night looked a lot like a high school team. I don't take a whole lot from that game. Carolina has a bunch of improving to do before this game, but beating NCCU to death isn't scary. South Carolina State beat them by 41 points last year.
I do agree with your theory on talent level. However thrust a we looked like a middle school team on defense.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #28
peterlemon
Game MVP
 
peterlemon's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,838
CockyCash: 500
peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I do agree with your theory on talent level. However thrust a we looked like a middle school team on defense.
We have no excuses to get beat like that, but I think everyone is about to find out that the Aggies are a very good football team. We were bad, but they were a machine Thursday.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #29
ecugrad
Walk On
 
ecugrad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 28
CockyCash: 500
ecugrad has hatched from the shell
Default Re: ECU

We lost some starting lbs a few dlineman and most of our starting secondary. It doesnt mean much because the new starters have played a lot of football and are upperclassmen and we return a great majority of our tackles. I would have to expect that usc lost a great deal of their defense as well based on their first game. Our one gimmee game is over with and now the real season starts. We know you guys are talented and respect what you guys have been able to accomplish over the last several years but I truly believe we are due for a breakout year and there is no better way to do it than on the road in an SEC stadium.
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #30
sunbeam
Recruit
 
sunbeam's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: blahtown
Posts: 199
CockyCash: 500
sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: ECU

We haven't gotten to your qb when we had Clowney and Quarles, so I really don't think we do it now, particularly with the veteran qb you have.

My take is that the qb is going to have time to throw if he wants to take longer than he usually does to get rid of it.

So basically it depends on how our lb's and db's cover and tackle. Based on the first game, even if they improve you guys should do very well.

As far as our offense against your defense... geez I'm sick of writing about it. I don't know what your defense is like this year, but unless you are the Little Sisters of the Poor up front we won't establish the run.

So we will be chucking it. Right now I am expecting Thompson to be around a 50+ plus passer, so anything at all can happen from our viewpoint.

I expect this to be a shootout game, and I don't think I like our chances with that.

One other thing though, A&M used qb mobility a lot more than anything I ever saw Leach do. I also noted that West Virginia moved their qb around, and had him run a lot too.

Don't know if Sumlin has Leach connections, but from what you have said about Riley it is interesting the direction the next generation of Air Raid coaches are going in.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #31
ecugrad
Walk On
 
ecugrad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 28
CockyCash: 500
ecugrad has hatched from the shell
Default Re: ECU

We had a top 20 rush defense last year and stopped unc and vt on the ground so no I dont consider us the sisters of the poor. You could beat us through the air but we tackle well and fly and rally to the ball.
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #32
gocockswyn
Starter
 
gocockswyn's Avatar
 
Female

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greenville, sc
Posts: 1,344
CockyCash: 500
gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
We lost some starting lbs a few dlineman and most of our starting secondary. It doesnt mean much because the new starters have played a lot of football and are upperclassmen and we return a great majority of our tackles. I would have to expect that usc lost a great deal of their defense as well based on their first game. Our one gimmee game is over with and now the real season starts. We know you guys are talented and respect what you guys have been able to accomplish over the last several years but I truly believe we are due for a breakout year and there is no better way to do it than on the road in an SEC stadium.
Hope it doesn't happen in our stadium.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
ccured
What a Rush!!!
 
ccured's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: columbia sc
Posts: 8,339
CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
We have no excuses to get beat like that, but I think everyone is about to find out that the Aggies are a very good football team. We were bad, but they were a machine Thursday.
I think they have a good shot to win the west this year personally. Think Kenny hill fits the sumlin system better than Johnny football personally. Their defense is gonna be so much better than last year.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #34
Pw00132
Walk On
 
Pw00132's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 71
CockyCash: 500
Pw00132 is learning to peckPw00132 is learning to peck
Default Re: ECU

What is ECU's passing game like?
Pw00132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #35
ecugrad
Walk On
 
ecugrad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 28
CockyCash: 500
ecugrad has hatched from the shell
Default Re: ECU

We have a senior QB who completed 70% of his passes last who threw for 4000 yards not to mention we have a WR who has a shot at being the NCAA CAREER RECEPTION LEADER and is already the ECU all time reception leader in Justin Hardy. Hes the guy that got the long TD a few years ago from the same QB. The Starters mostly only played 3 Quarters so he didnt throw for over 300 yards but he had several games against quality competition where he had 3 Tds Passing 3 Rushing and threw for over 300-400 Yards. We were in the top 20 nationally in passing offense. If your secondary doesnt improve then we will score. We have in the past tend to struggle with press man to man 0 coverage. If you guys want to keep playing the 3-4 which our team goes against every day and play zone our QB will pick it apart. He also threw for a TD against NCCU.
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #36
peterlemon
Game MVP
 
peterlemon's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,838
CockyCash: 500
peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
We have a senior QB who completed 70% of his passes last who threw for 4000 yards not to mention we have a WR who has a shot at being the NCAA CAREER RECEPTION LEADER and is already the ECU all time reception leader in Justin Hardy. Hes the guy that got the long TD a few years ago from the same QB. The Starters mostly only played 3 Quarters so he didnt throw for over 300 yards but he had several games against quality competition where he had 3 Tds Passing 3 Rushing and threw for over 300-400 Yards. We were in the top 20 nationally in passing offense. If your secondary doesnt improve then we will score. We have in the past tend to struggle with press man to man 0 coverage. If you guys want to keep playing the 3-4 which our team goes against every day and play zone our QB will pick it apart. He also threw for a TD against NCCU.
You reek of insecurity and your team gave up 59 points to Marshall last year. I don't see you talking about your defense, you know ya'll have to play that side of the ball as well.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #37
ecugrad
Walk On
 
ecugrad's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 28
CockyCash: 500
ecugrad has hatched from the shell
Default Re: ECU

Im far from it. You guys should be the ones that are insecure. All of the pressure is on you guys to perform the way you are capable of. You guys on paper are more talented, you have more stars, and are playing at home where you have only lost one game in the last 19 games. Last year is last year, who gives a shit about Marshall i sure as hell dont. We are in a different league this year in the American and we have a lot to prove. I was merely answering the question. Sure we have some question marks, every team does but if you guys truly dont know about our passing game then I feel for ya. We have more than the record setting WR. We will throw to about 8-10 WRs and spread the ball around.

As far as the defense goes like you asked our strength is the front 7. Our LBs are fast and will attack to stop the run. If Davis really doenst play that could play in our favor. You guys really didnt have much of a run game against A&M even with your very talented O-line. We might get our NT back for this game at least im hoping thats the case because he is our run stuffer in the middle. Secondary wasnt really tested on Saturday but they made some good hits and tackles and we missed a few tackles that led to some decent gains for them. Penalties were a sore spot that im sure didnt sit well with Ruff so Im looking for that to get corrected this week. Good luck the rest of the year after Saturday. Win or lose on Saturday most pirate fans have nothing against USC and will root for them any time they play against the ACC and especially against UNC. Go Pirates!!!
ecugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #38
robgusc76
1st Team All-American
 
robgusc76's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia
Posts: 13,435
CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
Hopefully we can get back our nt who was out yesterday with an injury. Hes 6 '1"330+ lbs. Oh by the way we had over 200 yards rushing and almost 600 yards of offense. I expect hardy to get over 100 yards and a few tds. Im ready for Saturday. I just want a good injury free game on both sides.
LOL
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #39
5lbYardcock
Two Deep
 
5lbYardcock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Isle of Palms, SC
Posts: 1,011
CockyCash: 500
5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly
Default Re: ECU

They suck, we will beat them solid by half. I see bigger and better high school teams.
__________________
"We own the next 102 years of football against Clemscum" Pound
5lbYardcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #40
Blackland
Blue Chip
 
Blackland's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 655
CockyCash: 500
Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb
Default Re: ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
Hopefully we can get back our nt who was out yesterday with an injury. Hes 6 '1"330+ lbs. Oh by the way we had over 200 yards rushing and almost 600 yards of offense. I expect hardy to get over 100 yards and a few tds. Im ready for Saturday. I just want a good injury free game on both sides.
Probably slow and phat given where he is playing....
__________________
Men with cat videos in their signatures, I don't get it....
Blackland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development